Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? * 12
    #29472504 -

I've been really curious about why it is that you choose not to.

Low yield?
Temperature?
Difficulty?
Lack in obtaining spores?
Don't know where to begin?
Don't really understand the difference between them and cubes?
Expensive start-up?

Looking for some really honest feedback here. Doesn't matter if you've never thought about it or have made a firm decision not to. All input is welcome!

If you're open to it, would love to discuss some of these things further. If you'd like to comment why but not looking to discuss further, just write "Decision made!" at the end of your post.

Thank you!
Why?
You may choose many


Votes accepted from the dawn of the universe until the end of time

View the results of this poll


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: PhenoDreamers] * 1
    #29472511 -

Nice thread Pheno, I'm really curious too. Sorry, no furious debate, once I downed my first wls I more or less stopped growing cubes. Well, sometimes, for friends.

My guess would be there's still a lot of people that think shroom = psilocybin so it doesn't matter much which shroom.

Edit: and of course wlp shows up too!

Edited by Churpee Choozle (02/03/26 02:30 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Churpee Choozle] * 6
    #29472520 -

For me, I get enough variation in effects and doses from one print of cubes to satisfy all my desires. Otherwise I would venture out. As is, the grass may be greener on the other side, but I have no reason to look over the fence.


--------------------
It takes guts to be
gentle and kind

Another way to live

Your ego is your nemesis.
Seek the truth tirelessly,
Even at the cost of your own sanity.
-fiddle_head

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: PhenoDreamers] * 1
    #29472542 -

I got more cubes than I can use. I don't really have many opportunities to trip (because of family and work). I never considered other options since I can rarely explore with what I have.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: LadysKnight] * 1
    #29472543 -

A lot of gourmet mushrooms rely on a very specific combination of microbes, seasonal cues, and temperature cycles to trigger fruiting. Indoors, this is often nearly impossible to replicate even with fully colonized substrate, weeks of waiting might not produce anything. Psilocybe Cubensis, on the other hand, are beginner-friendly: they tolerate a wide range of conditions, fruit reliably in simple setups like monotubs, and recover from small mistakes that would ruin more sensitive species.

Plenty of species that are easy to grow and fruit indoors but they may not be what you like, or require a change in setup/fruiting conditions you're not genuinely feeling. We all have a reason.

I know from personal experience, I didn't want to build a tent when a monotub worked fine, I didn't want to start working in spawn bags when jars worked fine. It was the decision to change my setup or go with what works and I also wasn't really into gourmet mushrooms till many years later.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: FounderZ]
    #29472558 -

Low yield
Temperature
Difficulty
TIME

I am considering pans with a good yielding culture isolate (if i can find it) but I have gnats in the house so I need to think about making a chamber that will not let them enter. The martha/ mini greenhouse thing is comfortable to work with but looks impossible to seal against gnats so I think a large tub with automated FAE and humidification is the way.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Elixirel] * 3
    #29472574 -

I grew up on cubes. I've had some experiences with wild mushrooms from other species, they were all either underwhelming or a little scary (once was definitely enough for amanitas). I have a solid understanding of cubes- hunting for them, growing them, processing them, and consuming them.

They're also still generally what the people know and want. I don't always have time or space for experimentation, between production and all the non-cult stuff in my life. The cube lines I want to keep growing and working on take up a lot of mental and physical space.

I'm going to try my hand at pan cyans as the weather warms up here. But I want to be sure that I can devote some time to any new species, getting my growing chops down and some proper trips under my belt.

Beyond that, if I'm being real, the phrase "woodlovers and exotics" conjures up images of woodlover's paralysis and amanita-induced brain damage. I admit that I have an extreme bias against "alternative" highs, based on decades of awful experiences. If someone said "why do you only consume cannabis sativa? Have you considered other psychoactive plants?" I'd basically be thinking, OK, are they gonna try to get me to do salvia or kratom? I'm not saying I'm right, I know I'm probably not. But my prime drug experimentation days are long gone, and the one thing they taught me was extreme caution when heading into uncharted waters.

I also don't live in an area with lots of different species of wild psychoactive mushrooms, so that certainly influences my experiences and comfort zone to a huge extent.


--------------------

Edited by B Traven (02/03/26 12:05 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: B Traven] * 5
    #29472580 -

I deeply respect you Traven, but as someone who's tripped on woodlovers for many dozen times, and has handed out many jars of them, I can tell you that the health risks are in line with those of cubes. Don't feed them to people sensitive to psychotic breakdowns, drunks and freaks that mix up everything without questions. And it's fine. We've had occasions where 30-40 people were tripping their genitalia off on azurescens and well, it was chaotic, but the next day everyone felt better than they'd have felt after a few beers. And I checked in with literally every person.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Churpee Choozle] * 1
    #29472588 -

Oh, I'm sure.

But you gotta understand, I just DON'T KNOW anything about them other than what I read.

Alcohol, for instance, is a deadly poison, but it's one that I'm well-versed in lol

Also, what's most important is opportunity and barriers to entry. Many years ago, I did live for a few years in a place where woodlovers are prevalent, and had a chance to try some (those particular experiences ended up being underwhelming). But now, the only things I'm offered are whole bud and various cannabis extracts-which I will geek out over all day- and then the usual chemical suspects. I'm the one turning up with fungus, so if I didn't grow it, then I'm not gonna get it.

For woodlovers, yeah, I'm a little freaked out by some stuff I've read. But the underlying issue that's kept me from trying to grow them is that I'm not in wood-lovers' territory where I live, and basically have no experience even observing them in the wild. It'd be starting from scratch with a whole different substrate. So, that plus cold feet has led me to putting it off. I'm sure I'd participate if I found myself at one of your parties!

I've decided to start with pan cyans because they seem "closest" to cubes, and easiest to wrap my head around.

Anyway, thank you for mentioning the species you all ate. I feel that this is critical for getting people like me to wrap their heads around, well, new species.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: B Traven] * 2
    #29472592 -

I wish I had people offering me 'various extracts'...

To be fair I believed in 'wlp' for a while too. But I can get just as 'paralyzed' from acid, for example. And give me enough cactus and I don't even know if I'm inside or outside, where the bathroom is etc.

I've just never seen really alarming effects from any active Psilocybe.

Yeah, Panaeolus cyanescens is awesome too. I wonder how it will affect your relationship with cubensis. I'd take pan cyan over cubes every day.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: PhenoDreamers] * 3
    #29472617 -

Other here.  Situational issue, I definitely intend to grow more than just cubes in the near future.


-Kingboomer


--------------------


I'm just a clown dancing to the sins of mankind.

-Captain Spaulding

Back in business
Cake wars III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Churpee Choozle]
    #29472633 -

I haven't yet grown exotics, but I plan to.

Why I haven't gotten into them yet, from most important to least:
- they require manure*. It's difficult to cook in a flat, not to mention while living with someone
- they're harder to grow than cubes and take much longer
- it is just a tad more expensive to get a hold of them for me. I can get pans and ochra (only have pans for now, but am itching for ochras). Haven't found a way to get other exotics or stone producers.


* I know about growing without it and that's what I plan, but as I understand it, it's easier to use pasteurized poo

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Peleus] * 1
    #29472648 -

I can’t say I never grow anything else, but cubes are fun and easy to grow. I can’t do any pans in the winter because of temp and it’s too dry here(the last few years) to grow wood lovers outside. I don’t have any woodlover prints either. Would love to try them out someday, just haven’t got there yet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Breadly710]
    #29472662 -

Breadly710 said:
I can’t do any pans in the winter because of temp.



Well actually :rofl:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Kloakk]
    #29472699 -

Kloakk said:
Breadly710 said:
I can’t do any pans in the winter because of temp.



Well actually :rofl:



Tell me more Kloakk. I have tried and might get a few to pop up in the winter.
My oldest is moving out next month so his room will be the cult room/office. Actually have decent climate control in there.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Breadly710] * 2
    #29472705 -

i just dont like the high. beefs a cube man.


--------------------
Need a lift?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Breadly710] * 3
    #29472711 -

Breadly710 said:
Tell me more Kloakk. I have tried and might get a few to pop up in the winter.
My oldest is moving out next month so his room will be the cult room/office. Actually have decent climate control in there.



I was just tooting my own horn :lol: I was assuming you had seen my build.


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Kloakk] * 2
    #29472721 -

Tooting your own horn can be a fun experience on shrooms too, yes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Churpee Choozle] * 1
    #29472745 -

Churpee Choozle said:
Tooting your own horn can be a fun experience on shrooms too, yes



:rofl:

Man, sorry Pheno for messing with your thread :uhoh:


--------------------
“All Fungi are edible.

Some fungi are only edible once.”
― Terry Pratchett


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Cube growers, why don't you grow exotics or woodlovers? [Re: Kloakk]
    #29472750 -

For me it's a mix of the difficulty and lack of space. Ideally I want a dreamer tub and will eventually build one... Just gotta figure out where it can go, or retire my cube setup when I have enough to last a couple of years then make the switch.

I've also barely got cubes down, still struggling with contams and figuring it all out.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* mushrooms growing in cannabis cloning chamber cannabisdreams 1,892 2 07/25/02 03:13 PM
by Killa420
* Kits for first time grower? please help elite2k 1,315 9 01/16/02 11:18 AM
by luvdemshrooms
* Growing shrooms..newbie bigtime..help SlimDanny 2,476 5 02/03/02 12:16 PM
by WakingUpLate
* PE#6 or APE Reverts for second grow? Scouse 162 5 02/08/26 02:33 PM
by AzureCultivator
* The Official Woodlovers Thread
( 1 2 3 4 ... 931 932 )
TheDuder 623,852 18,622 09/26/26 08:06 PM
by the_chosen_one
* First time grower in need of some guidance
( 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 all )
Juzi Da Rebel 3,029 186 08/05/26 01:42 PM
by Juzi Da Rebel
* Nomi's Cube method in "Find/Grow" suzie_girl 1,069 6 02/08/02 08:38 AM
by Hammerloaf
* Complete Professional Growing Tek
( 1 2 3 all )
bluhoney 24,234 43 04/15/24 03:10 PM
by stasis

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,555 topic views. 16 members, 295 guests and 183 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.06 seconds spending 0.034 seconds on 22 queries.