Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Grow Light, Gypsum, San Pedro, Scales, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK * 50
    #26009662 - 05/23/19 03:41 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

My aim for this is not to re-create the wheel here, and there are many shoebox teks that are great. The people who I looked to the most in developing my style would be mushboy and bodhisatta. So much of what I learned came from working, helping with, and following mushboy's Making Shoeboxes thread, and I recommend you do the same.

My goal for this is to include it as part of my larger SFF Shoebox Factory Tek, which is essentially just my regional version of how to prep a shoebox.

I live in a 550sf studio. My aim with my TEK is to show how to run a pretty hefty, yet small scale run of mushrooms while having it not take over your home. I've always liked SFF (Small Form Factor) in things that don't need to be large, so I aim for my grow to also have this compatibility.

If you've missed any steps getting here you can go back to my Oat Prep Tek, and Coir Prep Tek. If you're even more lost you can head all the way back to the beginning of all this to catch up.

Feel free to use shredded BRF cakes for this, just replace any language I use stating "grains" and pretend like I'm saying "BRF". The volume will be the same ratios I give for grains.

JUST UNDER FIELD CAPACITY

I will be using 100% coir for this tek. One of my aims with all this work, besides SFF, is to also KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!), meaning that I aim to avoid any extra points of contamination. So, I will only be using Coco Coir w/o any verm or gypsum.

One of the keys to my tek is to ensure that your coir is just under field capacity. How you set that up is in my SFF Coir Prep Tek, and the key that you want is to be able to squeeze the fuck out of it w/o almost any water running out of it. This gif makes it hard to see, but there is maybe 1 drop runs between my knuckles at a point, that's it. I had to squeeze the ever-loving-shit out of it too. This is how you test for field capacity.

Using just below field capacity coir allows you to create better surface conditions for a shoebox that you can set and ignore for the whole fruiting process. You'll see later that we create a very moist top-coat which will draw mushrooms towards the surface, avoiding side/bottom pins.

ASSEMBLY

I aim for a 1:1.5 ratio in shoeboxes because it seems to produce the best flushes, holds great moisture, and it avoids mutation/blobbing in some varieties of cubes (lol except for this grow I guess). This tek will go over how to achieve set-and-forget level of shoeboxes that frequently produce 300+~ grams wet mushrooms per myco-quart.

The basics of this are pretty simple, and I'll break these steps down further as we go:

1) Use 2 myco-pints (or 1 myco-quarts)
2) Add 2 pints of coir to spawn, and set aside 1 pint of coir
3) Mix up the grains and coir
4) Tamp down the surface and edges to get a flat surface
5) Add final pint for top coat, also tamping down this top coat

1) Put your spawn into the shoebox.

2) Add 2 pints of coir to the shoebox. Get one more pint ready and set to the side, but don't use it yet.

3) Mix together the 2 pints of spawn and 2 pints of coir. No, I'm not molesting the spawn... I'm just showing that it's safe/fine to touch this with your hands (though please wash them thoroughly first). If your grains are 100% colonized nothing else is going to get to them.

4) Tamp down the edges after mixing these items together very well. The reason that you want to mix these so much and level it out is so that you get a nice even canopy. If you don't mix them properly the mycelium will have a tougher time colonizing all of the coir and it will go slower. If you don't level the top and tamp down the edges you will get uneven fruiting, and you'll give yourself more work as you harvest it partly one day, then finish it another day (or even two)

5) Add the top-layer/pseudo-casing or whatever you want to call it. You want this layer also be leveled and tamped down for the same reason stated above.

TOP COAT SOAK

So, really this is the key to my reason for doing writing up and recording this TEK. This step will set your shoeboxes up to go through your entire first flush w/o needing water, and will avoid the side/bottom pins which are fine, but annoying to harvest. The way to avoid side/bottom pins is to achieve proper surface conditions, and this tek will achieve and maintain that for your first flush.

The key to this is really getting a good soak in on your the top coat. I use a fine-mist spray bottle aimed at the surface for about 20 seconds or so.

Here's a comparison picture from before to after the spray down. You'll see it's a good shade darker. Later you'll see the reverse happen as we get closer to pinning, which is exactly what we want.

Your tub should look like a brown steam room. Note that the surface and plastic are beaded with water, but there's no beading or wetness below the top-coat layer. This is exactly how you want it to look, and you'll see how that progresses below.

COLONIZING/FRUITING

As per bod, I also do not differentiate fruiting from colonizing conditions, I set these up into "Growing Conditions" straight at spawn. So what this means is that you want to latch your lid for your shoebox, then set it aside in a place that gets a good 12 hours of light per day. This doesn't have to be super direct, or very strong as long as it is 6500k light (or sunlight), and isn't too far away.

"What about Dub-Tubbing or flipping the lid?!" You may ask yourself. Well, stop asking yourself that. This is a TEK designed to be set-and-forget so we do none of this. The only step you should take is that, when the mushrooms are about 24-48 hours from finishing up, you'll want to unlatch the lid.

Unlatching the lid will be all you need because the mushrooms will do the rest of the work. They'll push the lid as much as they need, and this will save you space until then. The mushrooms seem to enjoy the restricted FAE, or possibly the microclimate that is created, of having the lid latched as long as possible more than any other situation.

When you unlatch the lids, unless you're growing monsters here, you're only going to see the mushrooms pushing the lid a little bit, like this:

So we're going to watch the above bin grow and look at it as infrequently as possible. I am keeping this shoebox only in sunlight, as we're getting about 14 hours a day here this time of year. So far the temps have been kind of cold, house temp ranges from 63f-70f the whole grow so far, so take that into account when looking at the grow times (It's quicker when warmer). Here is the grow of the above bin (please note I am only checking these every other day or so, sometimes less, you want to disturb these as little as possible):

These pictures are 6 days after spawning them. You can see that the coir is still that darker brown color, and the mycelium has just ripped through the substrate. If you zoom in you can see all the gorgeous surface conditions, beautiful beaded water.

We now move onto the 12 day update. You may notice that these images are VERY similar to the last set, however the coir has reverted back to a lighter shade of brown as the mycelium has soaked up all the water. The key is that those surface conditions are still super sexy! Nice moisture and beading in the top-layer myc.

This is also the shoebox at 12 days. notice how some of the substrate has pulled away from the wall just a bit. If you look at the moisture it doesn't penetrate all the way down to the bottom. This is still producing better micro-climates at the surface versus the sides. This is basically telling the mushrooms that the surface will be the best direction to grow in, as opposed to the side or bottom.

Here is day 18 (the red tint is because it was gloomy out and my grow lights are stronk!). As you can see we have pins, I first noticed  knotting about 3-4 days ago. You can also see in the close-up picture that, yes, we still have super sexy surface conditions! It's harder to see here, but the coir is going back to a shade lighter. Hopefully the next images will show that off better.

Day 23, we have major blobbing... boo. Well, as you can see we're getting a lot of growth across the whole box. And if you zoom in super sexy surface conditions. I should have probably used a variety I'm more familiar with, but I went with what I had available at the time. If this doesn't look like a full canopy we'll do another one, but I have hopes for flush two even with blobs.

Day 25, here there be monsters. It's a mess of blobs. My apologies. Still, as you can see this shoebox contains massive amount of fruits. I had to move the zoom-in point from the last image, but as you can see, still gorgeous surface conditions. Look down at that water beading on the coir and rejoice for we have mushrooms.

Day 27, the end has come. Here's the final pictures. You can see I unlatched the lids the night before this picture was taken, the mushrooms pushed the lid, maybe half an inch or a little more. Hell, even though these blobbed to holy heaven I still got a first flush of 324g wet. I didn't take pics to match the below format because I clipped as many caps as I could print and didn't want that happening after I floated the substrate. Also I can't post a dry weight since I'll be eating 55g wet tomorrow to celebrate being done with this project.

Is it the world's best flush? Hell no. Blobbing screwed that up, but it was over 300g wet per myco-quart. I think a good base-line goal is 300+g wet per myco-quart, but more is better. Less means you either have a weird culture (they happen, some fruits are lighter than others) OR! you need to change your technique. I recommend trying this method and posting your results!

I started documenting another box grow using this method to show what a much faster grow looks like with a culture I'm more familiar with. I'm also going to update the first post with these, but this grow was 19 days long, even with lower than average temps (temp range from 65f-71f, usually in the 68f range for the majority of the grow). I used 2 pints (1 quart) of a PE6 clone that I've been working on, with 1:1.5 ratio using the tek methodology:

6-4: Spawn

6-9: 5 day check-in. Excellent rhyzo growth poking through and holding that moisture on the surface already.

6-12: 8 day check-in. Apologies again for the redlight. It kinda takes over my house on cloudy days like this. Anyways, solid increased rhyzo growth which really shows off the surface conditions.

6-17: 2 week check-in. Holy shit we have pins already! Damn. That was fast. Still, holding sexy surface conditions if you look between that dense pin-set.

6-21: 17 days in. We've got decent sized baby shroomies! Also, looking past these clusters the surface is still holding that moisture. If anything what I'm seeing is that this substrate may have even been a little too wet as I'm getting signs on the caps of excess moisture (dark spots and pumpkin-like shaping of the caps)

6-23: Harvest. I unsnapped the lid the morning of the 22nd and the shrooms did their thing pushing it up and lifting. Nice dense canopy. 365g wet harvest.

Overall a major success. I wanted to document this to show off the tek with a culture I knew better so that people could get a feel that different varieties grow at different rates. I swear, I'm done documenting grows like this for this thread though, they all kinda go like this, almost like clock work. I guess the point that I'm really focusing on is that these shoe-boxes have everything they need to get through a full first flush.

REHYDRATING/FLUSH TEK

I was recently reminded that people want to see what you do between flushes. I like to float my substrate and harvest with fabric scissors. Bod already wrote the tek I follow, and yes I follow it for shoeboxes.

Once the mushrooms are harvested you should submerge the substrate. Normally I have multiple shoeboxes and stack them on top of each other, but I was only running this shoebox for this demonstration, so :lol: only one. You'll need something on top of your top box anyways. I like to use an empty shoebox with some weight in it for the top box. I looked around and had some fruit, so that's what I used.

Caveat: some cultivars think I soak too long, but this is my tek, so fight me :wink:

I've tried a wide range of soaking, and here are my results (this is for shoeboxes only). I'm pretty convinced that 3 hours is the perfect soak time:

• 1 - 2 Hours: Too little water soaks up usually. This produces very weak subsequent flushes, and all box tests have had to be put up to 3-6 hours for the next flush. I have to mist a lot more and pay way more attention to the box at this time range. Super annoying.
  • 3 - 5 Hours: Seems to be enough time to get good followup flushes. This is probably the optimal time
  • 5 - 9 Hours: Similar results as 3-5 hours,but a little soggier.
  • 9 - 12 Hours: Similar results, but with super saturated substrates. This often causes more side-pins than shorter soak times, and it may have resulted in some malformed heads. Seems to still be acceptable.

I do not feel like I've run enough tests to say with definity tho that this is true. I've run over 120 shoeboxes at this point, and I probably started paying attention my soak time results around the last 50-ish soak times. The only thing I feel pretty confident in stating is that only 1 hour is no where near enough soak time.

After soaking for 3 hours (usually I harvest when I get home, soak when finished, and just drain the water when I go to bed) I drain the water and you'll have a dark and wet substrate. This sets you up to set and forget for your second flush:

You literally just put the lid on and snap it back into place and set it in a well lit place and monitor flush 2:

OTHER RESULTS

Here are some photographed results from previous grows of mine using the same techniques:

Edited by ShaperDreaming (07/03/19 10:02 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK [Re: ShaperDreaming]
    #26018371 - 05/28/19 01:19 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

love the gif work, especially that field capacity with a thumb up at the end.

--------------------

:mushroom2:Trade List:mushroom2:

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK [Re: LtLurker]
    #26018394 - 05/28/19 01:30 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:
love the gif work, especially that field capacity with a thumb up at the end.

Thanks, the gif work was actually much more annoying than I thought it would be :lol: It just seemed like one of those things that people kinda have a hard time seeing without a visual, so I wanted to get it out there. I guess I should probably state that that is field capacity, not "just below" but I want people to focus on getting things appropriately dry, not appropriately wet. Anyways, I hope these TEKs are helpful for folks.

Invisiblestaytrippy420

Loc: Canada Flag
    #26019610 - 05/28/19 11:15 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

This is very helpful. Thanks Shaper. :rockon:

--------------------
Tek's I use

LAGM2020

Offlinesan pedro guy
Captain
 User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK [Re: staytrippy420]
    #26023349 - 05/30/19 04:21 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Things are working out so much better than my first grow. What helped the most was understanding field capacity, and the top layer seems to really help “direct” the fruits to the top rather than the sides.

My fruits are nice and tall but have hollow stipes, is this nature or nurture?

I had one fatty from my first grow that was really solid and I’m giving my first try at agar on cloning it  :awesomenod:

Offlinetheherbaceouslayer
monkey/man
 User Gallery

#26023679 - 05/30/19 07:13 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Awesome write up. I have been wanting to do this kind of grow for a while and now I am seeing this I am convinced it's the way to go.

Do you think that if I used 2 myco-pints of made of BRF instead of the grain spawn like you did it will still work as well? that is just the method I am experienced in.

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK [Re: theherbaceouslayer]
    #26024390 - 05/31/19 07:20 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

san pedro guy said:
Things are working out so much better than my first grow. What helped the most was understanding field capacity, and the top layer seems to really help “direct” the fruits to the top rather than the sides.

My fruits are nice and tall but have hollow stipes, is this nature or nurture?

I had one fatty from my first grow that was really solid and I’m giving my first try at agar on cloning it  :awesomenod:

Congrats on your grow! I know you're doing agar work too, so good luck with all that! Seems like a huge success from here.

Hollow stipes is nature not nurture in my experience. Nurture will play a part in it, but it's going to be minor compared to genetics. Which variety are you growing? I've found that some varieties are just going to go this route (like Golden Teachers), while others are more prone to thickness (like penis envy).

Quote:

theherbaceouslayer said:
Awesome write up. I have been wanting to do this kind of grow for a while and now I am seeing this I am convinced it's the way to go.

Do you think that if I used 2 myco-pints of made of BRF instead of the grain spawn like you did it will still work as well? that is just the method I am experienced in.

Thanks! As for brf, yeah, that'll work similar. I haven't spawned a brf cake in ages. I assume you'll be shredding to bulk? If so, yeah, follow this and you'll get similar results :smile: Good luck!

OfflinemushboyM
socially distant
 User Gallery

Loc: better trashcan
Trusted Cultivator
    #26024583 - 05/31/19 09:44 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

:creepylurker:

OfflinebadspongeS
 User Gallery
Loc: SoCal
    #26025309 - 05/31/19 04:22 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Thanks for this. Got lots of side pins my first grow, of course. I'll use some of these tactics to prevent them in future grows.

Offlinejay.ach
Traveler
Male User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK [Re: badsponge]
    #26026573 - 06/01/19 05:48 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Thank you for writing this up and for the pictures.  Very helpful!

--------------------
“One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.”  - Henry Miller

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK [Re: jay.ach]
    #26032005 - 06/04/19 08:30 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Thanks ya'll.

Update: We have massive blobbing as of Sunday when I documented it last. Not super excited about that, but I guess that's what happens when you document this with a varitey you're not super familiar with. I just spawned some of a PE6 clone I've been working with using the same methodology, and I'm probably going to start documenting that just so that I have a proper canopy to show off for the tek.

Invisiblevan hatton
Still a noob

Loc: its over there!
Trusted Cultivator
    #26032109 - 06/04/19 09:56 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

:neat:

--------------------
If I ever give out misinformation please inform me so I can have the correct information. :cheers:

Tmethyl said:
Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked a monotub that wasn't pinning fast enough. The force of the kick rearranged the genetics of the mushrooms, we now call them Penis Envy.

Caps McGee said:
:thumbsup:
Fun part is figuring out what works best for you

InvisibleZero Nowhere
Beer Drinker
Male

Loc: Standing on the moon
Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK [Re: van hatton]
    #26032139 - 06/04/19 10:13 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Nice write up!

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK [Re: Zero Nowhere]
    #26032192 - 06/04/19 10:49 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Howd i miss this lol. Nice

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26032211 - 06/04/19 10:57 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Howd i miss this lol. Nice

Prolly cuz it's sitting in my journal :wink: Thanks. Still finishing up some final touches on it all too, I wanted to show proof-positive results before posting it in the main areas.

OfflineLyh
Mushroom Boi

Loc: Germany
    #26038213 - 06/07/19 11:13 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

This is great! I'm about to use do a shoebox, thanks for the input :bigblunt:

Also I love the last picture. Those fruits look cool, what variety are they??

--------------------
To those who use well what they are given even more will be given and they will have an abundance
But from those who are unfaithful even what little they have will be taken away

Tradelist

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK [Re: Lyh] * 2
    #26038232 - 06/07/19 11:24 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Those are APE reversions. I got a swab from mushroomnate and after isolating for 8 transfers I put it to grain and got those. I've distributed all the prints of it I have recently, so hopefully we'll see some other people growing them out. I cloned two of them too, one white/albino (just right of center) and one tan one. They're on t4 right now and I hope that I can stabilize a new variety, we'll see! I love the light tan w/blue dots that they created. Did it for 3+ flushes too.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #26038268 - 06/07/19 11:49 AM (1 year, 2 months ago)

So im moving this to cultivation or no?

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26038647 - 06/07/19 04:00 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

Sure go for it.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK (moved) [Re: ShaperDreaming]
    #26038675 - 06/07/19 04:17 PM (1 year, 2 months ago)

This thread was moved from the user's journal.

Reason:

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Grow Light, Gypsum, San Pedro, Scales, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation