| Home | Community | Message Board |
|
You are not signed in. Sign In New Account | Forum Index Search Posts Trusted Vendors Highlights Galleries FAQ User List Chat Store Random Growery » |
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.
|
| Shop: |
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
The elders have spoken. It is brown. Not faint black, it is brown. In addition, the mushroom looks like P. foenisecii, according to the experts, so now I know. Onward to greater things!
These guys are colonizing slowly but steadily. In part I'm sure it's a grain dryness issue, plus this was some of the first grain I ever made, and I probably messed up in some way. The temp and humidity might also be part of the problem. We have central air, but it has trouble creeping upstairs, even with downstairs vents closed. I've been gifted one of those mini "air conditioners" that's just a fan that blows air across damp paper. From what I've read, it works great in low humidity conditions. If this little guage is accurate, 30% humidity is low enough that it could work. In addition, I've read that cubensis prefers high humidity. Granted inside their bottles the humidity is probably around 80-100%, but probably won't hurt to raise local environment humidity as well. I may want to put a dehydrator in the bottom of the tent, but it's worth a try without that to see how well temps in the 75F range and higher humidity impact the growing conditions. The tampanensis puck with it's little sclerotia took awhile to show up, but that's par for the course with how it grew on PF tek. The myc is so whispy it makes me nervous, but that's exactly how it looked in the pf jar. Of the ten Dirty Teacher jars I hit with agar, and then recently violently shoved the agar into the substrate as best I could, only one is showing signs of recovery. Thankfully, the Dirty Teacher pin PFpuck has taken off. If I don't see recovery in those jars, I'll just Josex Poke em from this happy myc. The pf to coir bottles with varying amounts of substrate continue to progress. Hopefully these will fruit within a week or two. Of the 9 jars of rye I inoculated three days ago with Leucistic Blue Magnolia LC, only these three are showing signs of growth. I shook them immediately, though now I'm thinking it may have been wise to let them colonize a local spot first before shaking. In future I may do the PF Topping Tek favored by BOD for tough starters. Finally I'm pondering what to do with this consolidated Azurescens puck. I could use this to inoculate grain, though I have no more rye which apparently it prefers. I could top fruit it with holofractal's recommended 50/50 potting soil and soaked crumbled alder (I have oak pellets, hopefully that's fine) and throw it in the fridge. I also have an old LC syringe of this, and since it seemed pretty happy on PF, maybe the move is to use the 8oz wide mouth jars I have on the way to make some larger PF cakes, inoculate them with the LC, and do whatever with this puck. I'll be making some popcorn spawn soon, though I also have millet on the way, but no oats, no rye. Hmm, gonna have to fester on this a bit longer. Projects that have a pin in them for the moment: FP+ is steadily filling up its three plates, which are destined for grain once they're at least 70% colonized and I have some grain ready. The jar of 3 B+ cakes which had had their first flush harvested were broken up, soaked, and mixed 1:1 with coir. That jar is wet as hell, so I cracked the lid for more FAE. No sign of recovery, but I imagine having fruited once and then been shredded probably stressed the myc pretty bad, so I'm just doing LITFA tek for now. I have various agar plates fully colonized which could also go to grain, though I'd like to try making LI with them. I have 100ml media bottles, I have distilled water, I have a PC, and someday I'll put them all together. I have no more BRF agar plates, but I have several bottles of solid BRF agar. One day I'll pour another set. I still have several 4oz jars of BRF agar, and some 4oz jars of PFpucks, but I'm reserving these for little spontaneous projects - pins, clones, whatevs. The clone samples from the B+ cluster seem to be taking, all three, though one is a bit more sluggish. That's enough for now. There's plenty of other stuff on the back burner. Most excited for those albino strains to finish colonizing their grain so I can do a proper bulk grow. All in good time. --------------------
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
A second DT jar is recovering.
All but one of the nine Leucistic Blue Magnolia jars have visible growth The jars inoculated 6/17 are close, around 80%. The PF jars are showing some side knotting, even as they colonize the casing layer. Itβs about an inch thick, which is probably too thick. Will go with 1/4 inch in the future. Bottleteks arenβt quite at 5% yet. Expecting millet tomorrow, hopefully Iβll have time to get it soaking. Got powercords to plug in that mini AC unit, will be interested to see if higher humidity lower temps can be achieved with it and whether that will have any beneficial effect. I have no mechanism for monitoring the temp and humidity to turn it off and on, not do I have a dedicated humidifier/dehumidifier/heater. Should be getting a big olβ bag of dried, sifted horse poo tomorrow as well. Should be ready when a pan sporeprint comes my way ![]() Will be getting half pint wide mouth jars soon. Might use some for pftek, others to make master grain spawn jars. Thatβs another possible use of the DT agar that has colonized. Whether I end up using that for the pfcakes or not, I should expand it out in other ways. Making LI/culture storage bottles is a priority, but Iβd like to have something inoculated weekly, so I can have rolling tubs going with constant supply until Iβve got enough stored for myself and gifts for friends. FP+ plates are still around 30%. Hopefully decreasing the temp will speed them along. Since millet needs to soak and popcorn doesnβt, might prep them both to make sure I have plentiful jars of grain spawn at the ready. Has anyone run a side by side comparison of pftek to bulk vs grains to bulk? I also wonder about pftek done with other grain flours. Time to research! --------------------
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
Got my tent wired up with cool white led lights and the evaporative AC. After just ten minutes, outside of the tent it's 77.3F and 33% humidity, inside the tent it's 76.4F and 75% humidity. Hope this helps Throughout the day, the tent has easily maintained 75% - 80% humidity, recovering quickly after I open it. The temp seems to be about 3 degrees lower than ambient. Right now it's 84.3F ambient, 81.3F in the tent. 30% humidity ambient, 80% humidity in the tent.Now what to do. I have probably got a couple of hours to work with to try to move things forward. The pfcake substrate ratio experimental jars are all breaching the surface of the casing, and all but the 1:4 are knotting on the sides. Nothing to do there but wait. Still only two of the ten 4oz DT cakes show recovery, so I'll go under the SAB and use the colonized PFPuck of DT to Josex poke samples into the 4oz jars that aren't showing recovery. It's been so hot lately, I'd like to minimize PC use for now. Since I have just obtained some unhulled millet, I'll rinse that three times then let it soak 18 hours, per: Stipe-n-Capβs EZ Millet Prep Inventory Available, empty, clean jars to use: 10 32oz Quart Jars 12 8oz Half Pint Jars 7 White Plastic Wide Jar Lids 16 100ml Media Bottles Dirty stuff to clean or toss: 6 4oz jars full of moldy PF substrate 1 pint pickle jar of moldy PF substrate 1 quart of moldy grain with a white plastic wide jar lid 2 500ml Media Bottles with OK looking but probably too old un-PC'd thickened grain LC and grain agar Growing Things: Colonizing Jars: 9 Leucistic Blue Magnolia rye jars, all showing growth, inoculated with LC 7/2 (6 days ago), not quite 30% ready for shaking 1 quart jar of rye with a tampanensis puck, about 25% colonized, inoculated 6/26(12 days ago) 10 4oz PFcakes (2 showing growth) with Dirty Teacher (GT) agar inoculated 6/25(13 days ago) - due for josex poke by DT pin PF Puck inoculated 6/25 1 4oz PFcake inoculated from agar with Vogon APE 06/25, looking dirty but turning into white mycelium...will leave this alone and see if I get a pin to transfer from, or if it's just foe mold. 3 4oz BRF Agar jars with B+ Cluster Clones showing growth from 7/2 1 4 oz BRF Agar jar inoculated with B+ Pin from 6/26, looking a little odd, probably cube mycelium but maybe mold. Leaving that alone for awhile, let it do what it wants. I have plenty of B+ genetics to play with. Plates! Here's a bunch of plates I want to do stuff with! FP+ from Beef, mailed. The original plates from the mailer are dry as crackers. Still viable, but now existing as a long term storage. I took a pieces from each one of the cracker plates and plated them to water agar. Once there was decent growth, I transferred to BRF Agar. I think these are far enough along that I can use one to make a pair of LI bottles and the other two to agar inoculate grain. Just need to prep grain. So that's 4 jars of grain I'll need to make. I don't think I need to make special LI bottles in the 100mL media jars, because the little chunk of agar I put directly into the CPAP Distilled water bottle has fluffed out nicely, and there's plenty of mycelium bits floating around. I think if I inoculate these bottles with several juicy colonized agar pieces, it should colonize plenty fast. I'm not a huge fan of B+ in terms of potency, but has proven to be a resilient strain despite my bungling, and I've ended up with lots of plates and jars and pucks based in B+. This is also because I believed the hype, that I HAD to have B+ because it's the bestast beginnar straine evar, so I had my old vogon grow AND some fresh genetics from another vendor. Anyway, I had had a pin of the new genetics on a PFPuck, which I put to BRF agar, and now there's a pin on the pin in the agar ![]() I had also done a josex poke from that same PF Puck to agar, a plate which I've ignored for quite some time, and it not only pinned, but dropped a pile of spores right on the agar. Feel as though I ought to do something with these, but I've got quite a lot of B+ genetics in play, and I'd really like to get one of the albino strains going (see lower). I had also transferred a sample from the agar that sporulated to water agar, in case of contam, and that water agar plate looks promising for transferring onto PF or BRF agar. I had put a dirty base of one of my first harvested B+ fruits to agar, and it grew out a mess, so I selected a couple of cleanish looking spots and transferred them to water agar. Looks like the good guy mycelium did manage to find a pathway away from the bacteria. Second we have a water agar transfer from the Vogon B+, which has some usable looking areas, plus a little blob of bacteria in the corner. Lastly we have the multispore streak plate. Kind of just wanted to see what it would do over time. It's starting to dry out, so I may just let it be and see if it fruits. Presumably a pin would contain genetics resistant to hardship, more likely to fruit On second thought, looking at it closely, there are a few nodules with what look like tiny knots. I'm going to transfer the two most promising looking ones out. One to BRF Agar, one to PFTek. I'll leave the rest of the plate, since there are other areas that look like they may be knotting, and it is drying out, so I may get some actual pins to transfer.This Tampanensis culture I had purchased must be prone to fruiting, because here is another dried out plate with a Tampanensis pin. Not as dramatic as the one from before, but maybe I'll put this pin to agar, destined to one day become LI. This azurescens plate looks to be about the right amount of colonized to put to LI bottles. I have an albino MVP bottle of LI that I'll need to test on agar for cleanliness and viability. I don't have an Avery Albino LI, and I only have three jars of grain colonizing with AA. I'll probably put this pin to agar, since the myc looks a bit crazy I'll leave that for now. But the second plate, transfered away from the pinning plate, looks like a decent candidate for making LI. I have a nice pin colonization on PF of Dirty Teacher, the Golden Teacher I saved from Vogon Tek. This plate looks a bit too wonky for LI, but would be fine to transfer over to a few BRF plates, maybe a PF Puck. Once I have a pretty plate of DT I'll put that into LI. The experience I'm chasing, and my one friend who has been a taste tester with me reminisces about, was an APE grow in Vogon Tek. I only got one flush before it trich'd out, but it was so freakin potent. I don't have a standard APE, though I have a few albino strains going. I did snag some contaminated myc from the grow, and have been shepherding it along. The chunk out of the VAA1A had gone to PFpuck and looks awful, probably an invader myc. Of my other water agar options, VAB1 looks promising, I should transfer that to agar and PFPuck What I've done today I transfered the DT PFpuck to the senescent DT PFCakes I transfered nodules of the Vogon B+ MS agar plate to a BRF Agar jar and PRPuck I transferred the BTA Tampanensis Pin to BRF Agar I transferred the BAB1 Pin to Agar I transferred edge samples of DTA1A to BRF Agar and a PFPuck I transferred edge samples of VAB1 to PFPuck and BRF Agar I was going to transfer plates into LI bottles, but I realized that my distilled water bottles are 360mL, which is an insanely large amount compared to the 100mL bottles that RevMyc uses for near infinite storage, so I really ought to pour these into the 100mL bottles and PC them. Once I've got my kiddos in bed, I'll triple rinse enough millet for the 10 Quart Jars. I only have 7 plastic lids, would prefer not to buy more if it isn't strictly necessary. I'm looking through lid teks to see what would be reasonable and effective. I have high temp silicone to work with, and a few of small-medium size SFDs. Also have micropore and medipore tape. SpitballJedi ran a thread way back in 2014, generally concluding that opening a lid in a SAB isn't necessarily more or less contamination risk than using SHIP. LINK sandman420 back in 2020 ran a particulate test comparing micropore vs polyfill, and 2 layers of micropore is comparable. LINK I feel like my plastic lids, loosened a quarter turn for FAE, seem to be doing just fine. Pastywhite seems to be the main champion of this, now widespread technique. LINK With 2 part lids, RR recommended flipping the lid upside down when screwing down the ring, to make it easier to remove. Baba Yaga used this plus a circle of hard felt for FAE. LINK So I'll give something a try that someone else probably already did but I haven't found it written up yet. Lots of lid TEKs out there ![]() They're ugly as hell, and maybe they'll lead to bad outcomes...maybe not, but we'll see. If I don't get any contam I'll throw it out there to the group, for now it's just me not feeling like buying more plastic lids, but having silicone on hand and no intention of making SHIPS or putting filter holes in the lids with SFDs. I've had this post up for about 24 hours without submitting, probably time to push "send" and keep going
--------------------
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
A quick update. I rinsed 10 lbs of millet and have it soaking for 18hrs. Around 8am tomorrow morning it will be ready to pack into however many containers I'll need. I might have been overzealous, since I've only got 10 quart jars, but I also have a supply of bags that I haven't tried yet, so this may be my opportunity. It will mean multiple lengthy PC rounds, however, so my grow room is going to be boiling hot.
I also portioned out distilled water into 100mL media bottles destined to be LI/long term storage. They are in the PC along with a BRF bottle, with the intent that I'll be pouring plates when it's cooled enough to do so. Have the sous vide running to get a hot water bath ready for the agar to help cool it down to 140 once the pressure comes off. If time allows, I may also prep some popcorn, since the going Tek doesn't seem to require soaking...and I have a lot of popcorn. Popcorn Tek CocaineBuffet Stipe-n-Capβs EZ Millet Prep --------------------
| |||||||
|
on mental vacation Registered: 08/05/08 Posts: 4,633 Loc: Bou SaΓ’da, Algeria Last seen: 15 hours, 56 minutes |
| ||||||
-------------------- ----<><><>---- β tail-lights, back-pockets, rearview mirrors β β guides | grows | supreme air box | sporeaddict β
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
Millet's in the closet, ended up soaking about 24 hours and I still don't have it out yet
![]() That's gotta get poured out, Jarred/Bagged, and PC'd first and foremost. But before that, pictures! Nothing like a pinset! This is the 1:1:1 B+ PFCake : Coir : Casing. As expected, fastest to get to this point, will see whether it is the lowest yielding. It's siblings are doing alright though, with the 1:2:1 and 1:3:1 both side pinning and colonizing the surface decently with plenty of knots: And the 1:4:1 is slowest, not unexpected, but it's colonizing the surface acceptably and forming vague little knots. Will slow and steady win the race? No, the winner is me, because all of the contestants will give me mushrooms. I'm the winner here ![]() The Leucistic Blue Magnolia is looking fine and dandy. The ones in front are itching to be shaken, while the ones in the back are probably around 15-20% colonized. Would like to shake them all at once, though that's a lot of jars ![]() My little experiment - 3 x 4oz B+ cakes that had already flushed once, shredded into rice-size bits, mixed 1:1 with coir plus a thin casing layer. This jar was friggin soaked - the myc held on to a shitload of water. So I modified the lid by taping the flat lid piece to the top of the ring, and unscrewing it 1/4 turn. Not only does it seem to be drying down to a more appropriate moisture level, but the mycelium is starting to become visible, knitting together the chunks. It'll be what it'll be, but at least it no longer looks like a jar of wet dirt.Jar of rye with a fully colonized PFPuck of Tampanensis, that had it's own little sclerotia. This myc looks like mold, but it also looks exactly like the Tamp looked in its PFPuck jar, and that made sclerotia - I don't know any foe molds that make sclerotia, so I'm just gonna leave it be. May not even shake this one, since it's hard to guage the growth of this thin whispy myc. I may pose that over on the sclerotia forum. Brief overview shot of the top shelf. The bottles of rye with avery albino and albino mvp are getting close, all are at least at 75%, some are 90%. Excited! I should be able to do my first proper spawn to bulk soon with a couple of these guys. I even had some purple handled 66qt sterilite containers delivered for the occasion The Dirty Teacher jars on the right - two recovered spontaneously and are colonizing, the rest I josex poke'd two days ago from a PFPuck with healthy myc from a DT pin. Way too early to see recovery on them so I let them sit. There in the back is a distilled water bottle with a single square of colonized agar. It took awhile but there's plenty of myc suspended, floating around. I did PC a bunch of 100ml media jars yesterday to be used for LI, so I'll eventually pour a drop of that LI there onto agar to see if it's clean, then use that agar to make more LI. Fairly likely I'll be utilizing this LI as long term storage for cultures I enjoy.On the other side we can see the two bottle teks that were LC inoculated, waiting for them to be at a solid 5% to shake, which should be soon. All the other jars are my various experiments. the B+ cluster was cloned to three different agar jars, all of which look excellent. My vague thought is to top these with grain, then use that for g2g, though it wouldn't be unreasonable top fruit them and see whether the cluster genetics persisted. Various other things and stuff going on in those jars, nothing exciting to post at the moment. Love this hobby! Have a great Fuckin' Day everybody! --------------------
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
I had PCβd 12x 8oz jars with the millet that wouldnβt fit in my remaining quarts. I put my first mycobag on top. Thought I had it dialed in at 15.5-16psi, but came back after 2-2.5hrs and it was around 14.5. Sending it anyway, hopefully it makes it.
First time doing a bad, it expanded and almost fell into the water. Seems to have sealed itself, not really sure what to do with it. Once Iβm done inoculating the 8oz jars Iβll put it in the SAB, get it situated. Worried about manipulating it and popping open whatever sort of seal it has. I have an impulse sealer that I havenβt used yet, so once I have it situated Iβll seal it. Maybe let it sit a day or two before inoculating. Anxious about puncturing the bag. The kit came with stick-on inoculation ports, maybe Iβll just put a blob of silicone on the bag, or inject through the bag and put a few layers of micropore? Eh? My 1:1 - 1:4 pfcake to coir experiment is going . So much side pinning. If I do something like this again (probably wonβt tbh) Iβll either not case it, or case it with a very thin layer, since the side pinning is mostly happening at the interface with the casing. Also noted that the pins in the 1:1 were leaning hard to the side, presumably following light, so I replaced all the lids with saran wrap, and put a double micropore covered opening in top so the light is straight up. Hopefully they straighten out. No idea what Iβm gonna do about those side pins, the largest fruits are growing low down in the jar. Iβd have to destroy the whole cake to get to them. Since these arenβt straight sided I canβt just pull the cake out. Sigh. --------------------
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
I was recently gifted a sporeprint of Paneolus cyanescens var. Huasteca RDU.
Doing my reading, I'm finding Baba Yaga's write up to be the most accessible. Baba Yaga Grows Paneolus These aren't the same as cubes, with slightly different nutrition requirements. As Baba discusses, rather than hunt down the perfect TEK, it's better to hunt for the perfect genetics. Pans colonize aggressively compared to cubes, but are picky about fruiting. So a low nutrient agar can be used to isolate colonies from spores, and each can be grown out until reaching a fail point under the TEK you prefer to use. You clone successes, take spore prints, continue refining, etc. His process would certainly work well for cubes as well, so the project of following this procedure for Pans could help with my Cube grows as well. I had been starting with LC from a reliable company, and either directly inoculating or going to agar first and then agar to grain. I tried putting spores from one of my own spore prints to agar, but it grew so aggressively that there weren't any distinct locations, and it felt a bit meaningless. Might as well put spores right to BRF puck. I had taken the transfer with Bakedbeing's scrape and drip: Scrape N Drip Puck Inoculation For this next round, after pouring the low nutrient agar, I'll use a swab instead, as Baba suggests. I haven't had much luck getting agar to take to BRF puck, but seem to be doing fine with agar to grains or LC to grain. I have no intention of making LI/LC with unproven culture on agar, so I think I'll be doing agar to small grain containers. On the other hand, Josex poke into BRF has been fine... I have 5 or 6 BRF pucks prepped, maybe I'll use those for the first round of cloning out the Pans. On the other other hand, Baba recommends adding a little bit of poopy to the recipes. I do have a big bag of sifted aged horse poo, soo.... Low nutrient agar recipe I intend to use: 1% nutrient content 400mL water 4g BRF 8g agar agar I'm PCing this tonight, along with some used needles and syringes, and 5 PFPucks made with standard PF substrate plus a big pinch of powdered horse poop. Looks like adjusting the lighting was a good move: Beefier side pins on the 1:2 The 1:3 has honest to goodness surface primordia now, and the 1:4 has sincere looking knots. The 1:1 might be harvestable tomorrow! --------------------
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
--------------------
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
1:1 jar showing no change from yesterday, maybe those pins won't grow...
1:2 jar is moving! Yesterday Today Other Sides of 1:2 Today 1:3 jar has some thick pins 1:4 jar pinning Edited by ArkaNaut (07/15/24 08:06 AM)
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
Update on the B+ 1:1-1:4 substrate ratio experiment:
1:1 was duly punished. It knows what it did. First flust 23.5g fresh, 1.6g dry. 1:2 side pins mole-manning their way out. Gonna be interesting to try to harvest these guys. 1:3 Seems to have been the best combination of speed and size from the start. I have a few B+ clones already gone from agar to grain, if any of the grain is good to spawn I'll do a 1:3 shoebox. 1:4 Looking good. Be interested to see how it does on subsequent flushes compared to its siblings. Hoping to correct some of the side pinning, but hard to get my fat fingers down around the sides in these jars. I had "rescued" myc from a failed bacterial Golden Teacher AIO bag a few months ago, cleaned it up on agar and PFPuck and christened it "Dirty Teacher." Put clean agar wedges onto these PFCakes and the wedges dried up in the verm without colonizing. Luckily I had a healthy PFPuck from a plin, and used that to Josex Poke them, and all are showing signs of recovery. Could I have just purchased another GT syringe, or begged a member to send me GT prints, or given up? Sure, but this has been a fun project ![]() This is what obsession looks like for me . On the left some jars of Leucistic Blue Magnolia will probably be ready to S2B by the end of today. Keep growing, everyone! Mush Love!![]() BTW if you want to put dividing lines in your post, just use by itself. --------------------
| |||||||
|
Spam King Registered: 07/07/24 Posts: 1,152 Last seen: 1 year, 11 months |
| ||||||
|
As a beginner I just wanted to add to the chorus that following your journey so far has been inspiring. Wish I had the drive you do. Also, full time job and kids seem to be interfering with my new found hobby. Any tips on that front are welcome (if applicable)!
Will continue to follow. --------------------
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
Full time job and kids, here, too. Itβs a balance. Really easy to pour inappropriate amount of time into this. I tend to go in bursts. It just happened that when I was getting started, work wasnβt too heavy and I had full time child care. Not so much now. Key is making sure I set aside quality time with wife and kids when possible. Take em all to target, get appreciation cards for wifey.
The other thing is that this hobby can also be forgiving of neglect. In many ways itβs better to do less. Itβs fun to come back after missing a couple days and see what has colonized, what has sprouted a pin, what has suddenly flushed. Looking back over your posts, looks like you cooked up some 8oz pf jars? How they looking? What did you inoculate them with? You decide to do water tub or shoebox or something else? --------------------
| |||||||
|
Spam King Registered: 07/07/24 Posts: 1,152 Last seen: 1 year, 11 months |
| ||||||
Yeah, I definitely see both sides of the coin there. Iβm not at the stage where I need to put a lot of time into this hobby, but I could see myself getting wrapped up in it. 9 of my 11 inoculated jars do not have contam, so far (I think?). I used a classic Golden Teacher SS. Injected a bit in 2 of 4 holes on each jar. Here is the set, and a couple of the further along fellas: Iβm pretty sure Iβm going to dunk/roll in coir and stick them in a water bath. --------------------
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
That looks great! Water tub worked fine for me. I have a small experiment going where after first flush of cakes in a water tub, i shredded them, soaked them and mixed with coir. Theyβre taking awhile to recuperate, but they are recuperating. You may want to consider making some pfpucks to have on hand. With a lid on, they last forever, and if you want to keep your grow going without investing in agar, you could put spores, clones, pins, scrap of mycelium, whatever on them. Iβve found they colonize fairly quickly, and once the puck is consolidated, it stays happy for a long time, just waiting to be used. Ordering spores/LC through the mail makes me nervous, so I like having backups
--------------------
| |||||||
|
Spam King Registered: 07/07/24 Posts: 1,152 Last seen: 1 year, 11 months |
| ||||||
Thanks, gives me confidence. Every time I go to the garage to check on them I fear all the jars will be covered in baddies, so Iβll take every bit of confidence I can. Thatβs a great idea while I wait for colonization. Also, an excuse to purchase a PC! So, you put spores or pins on pf cakes? Like leaving the cakes in the jars and just let them grow all willy nilly? Or am I thinking about that wrong? --------------------
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
ArkaNaut said:
That looks great! Water tub worked fine for me. I have a small experiment going where after first flush of cakes in a water tub, i shredded them, soaked them and mixed with coir. Theyβre taking awhile to recuperate, but they are recuperating. You may want to consider making some pfpucks to have on hand. With a lid on, they last forever, and if you want to keep your grow going without investing in agar, you could put spores, clones, pins, scrap of mycelium, whatever on them. Iβve found they colonize fairly quickly, and once the puck is consolidated, it stays happy for a long time, just waiting to be used. Ordering spores/LC through the mail makes me nervous, so I like having backups ![]() UtahGetMeTwo said: Thanks, gives me confidence. Every time I go to the garage to check on them I fear all the jars will be covered in baddies, so Iβll take every bit of confidence I can. Thatβs a great idea while I wait for colonization. Also, an excuse to purchase a PC! So, you put spores or pins on pf cakes? Like leaving the cakes in the jars and just let them grow all willy nilly? Or am I thinking about that wrong? I know that fear all too well. It lasted until I had shrooms in my hands. Just keep reminding yourself how reliable PFTek is. You did the smart thing and went for a high number of jars. Yes, two crapped out. BUT I know from my own screw ups that invader molds tend to show up within the first 2-3 days. If you're past that point with your current jars, and they've got normal looking myc growing (which they do), you are very likely to have 9 completely colonized and consolidated jars within a week or two. At the very least, there will be visible progress day to day, which is encouraging. What I was saying was about a variation of PFTek. Rather than make a whole jar of substrate with vermiculite on top, you just make a little puck at the base of the jar. Below on the left is a 4oz PF Cake growing Golden Teacher mycelium. On the right is a PF Puck with a spore swab and a swab that was used to transfer agar, both of the same strain. Since PFSubstrate is resistant to bacteria, as long as you take steps to prevent invader mold spores from entering (sterile conditions under a SAB), it's a very friendly environment for cube mycelium. So what can you do with PF Pucks? Here are some things I did: Put a small sample of each LC or spore syringe you get onto one. It colonizes the puck and then stays dormant, sometimes making a pin for you to use. More "exotic" strains can be put on PF pucks, too. P. tampanensis grew happily on this puck, and even made some little sclerotia P. azurescens grew on this puck. I just now put that puck onto grains, it looked perfectly happy despite being two months old. My 4oz Golden Teacher PFCakes weren't colonizing from the agar wedges I tried to shove inside them, so I used a needle to take tiny samples from a Golden Teacher PF Puck grown from a plate pin. I squirted them in with sterile water, and the Cakes are doing great. For a better breakdown of the many and varied uses of PF Pucks, see these TEKs: Baba Yaga's Tiger Drop 3.0 Josex Poke and Pucks ReverendMyc does things with PFPucks Latest news for me...in addition to putting two Leucistic Blue Magnolia rye jars to shoeboxes, I went ahead and made me first monotub! I'm sure I fucked something up, so it may just be the largest bucket o' trich you ever did see, but hey, that's amateur mycology for ya. If it goes green, I'll know: I should have checked with the sages to see if my grain was really and truly OK to send. I should have poured boiling water on my coir and let it sit overnight, instead of just using hot water and waiting a few minutes. I should have been wearing a mask, taken a shower beforehand, rented space in a level IV bio lab, given up on mycology and switched to meth, I dunno, sacrificed a goat to Teonanacatl maybe? Beefβs Beefy Tubs Pastywhyte's EZ dialed monotubs --------------------
| |||||||
|
Spam King Registered: 07/07/24 Posts: 1,152 Last seen: 1 year, 11 months |
| ||||||
Whoa, these little pucks look quite useful. Thanks for linking the Teks. I did search PFPucks while reading your journal, but didn't come across these (prob were a few pages into search results). Hmm, okay, next steps definitely include purchasing a PC (I know it's not 100% needed but seems like a good idea), jars, BRF, and a few other items. I guess I need to decide if I will try to get better at doing classic PF Tek from scratch for the first time (first attempt was with a kit that I purchased), or try out some pucks. Or both! Then agar. The world is my Oyster (pun intended). Edit: good luck with the monotub! -------------------- Edited by UtahGetMeTwo (07/17/24 09:33 AM)
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
So what can you do with PF Pucks?
UtahGetMeTwo said: Whoa, these little pucks look quite useful. Thanks for linking the Teks. I did search PFPucks while reading your journal, but didn't come across these (prob were a few pages into search results). Hmm, okay, next steps definitely include purchasing a PC (I know it's not 100% needed but seems like a good idea), jars, BRF, and a few other items. I guess I need to decide if I will try to get better at doing classic PF Tek from scratch for the first time (first attempt was with a kit that I purchased), or try out some pucks. Or both! Then agar. The world is my Oyster (pun intended). Edit: good luck with the monotub! Definitely go with both! The more simultaneous techniques you have going, the more you learn, the more flexibility you have in terms of which tools you can use, and if you have a failure in something, you'll have plenty of backups. Presently I'm harvesting from my 1:1-1:4 substrate experiment, the 1:2 and 1:3 jars harvested fruits today while the 1:1 is getting ready for a second flush and the 1:4 is within a day or two of harvesting its first flush, but also the bacterialish looking grain spawn is colonizing its topfruiting mycelium, and a couple of bottleteks are starting to colonize, and the Golden Teacher PFCakes are all ~50% colonized, and I have several Leucistic Blue Magnolia grain jars ready to spawn, and multiple Hillbilly jars are around 5% colonized, and four FP+ jars are also about 5% colonized, and about a dozen littler jars and cakes and pucks are going. If any of my current grows were to crap out, I'm only ever a week or two away from another harvest. Each harvest also provides material for cloning, or making spore prints, and comes with new lessons to adjust my technique for next time. I didn't start with 500 different grows going at once, but don't be scared to try out something new. A PC definitely opens up a lot of possibilities, but you truly could do a great deal with just PF Tek prepared in a pot. You can do many of the things agar can do, and you can spawn to bulk. Grains are a hurdle. I was really intimidated to start, and even now I semi-dread the next time I need to do a run of grain spawn, though my tune may change once I start getting the fruits of my labor. Really, especially if you're trying to balance work and home and hobby, PFTek is excellent. By doing multiple smaller jars, you reduce your chances of failure significantly, and it's forgiving with every cube strain and every type of genetics (clones, pins, spores). Nearly all of the different "strains" that are out there are P. Cubensis, but the growers picked out interesting features in the mushrooms and cloned them out and stabilized them. You can absolutely start with just one "strain," and with a solid PFTek handled, you could pick out bigger fruits, or mycelium that grew faster, or seemed contamination resistant, or just looked more interesting, or happens to be leucistic or albino, and clone and stabilize them, and make your own personal strains. Anyway, rant complete. First flush 1:2 23.1g, first flush 1:3 27.3g. I'm not set up nor inclined to separately dehydrate these, so wet weight is all we'll have to go on. I'm assuming there really isn't going to be a massive difference in yield between these four jars, probably all in the 25g neighborhood. I may repeat this experiment with shoeboxes, or at least something straight sided since the 32oz mason jars have the lip inside that makes it a total PITA to get the fruits out. The 1:3 grew almost as fast as 1:1, and the fruits are the meatiest out of the three I've harvested so far. 1:2 were dry and stringy. Meanwhile 1:4 is close to harvesting first flush. I had to really rip up and mangle the myc on both 1:2 and 1:3 to get the side fruits out. I'm sure it'll recuperate fine, right? RIGHT!? --------------------
| |||||||
|
Grumpy Meat Goblin Registered: 05/13/24 Posts: 1,140 Last seen: 9 months, 23 days |
| ||||||
|
Tampanensis from PF Puck is 90% colonized in Rye. Tampenensis from LC in Rye looks like nothing at all. The rye in that jar has gotten really dry. hm.
1:1 B+ pf puck in coir was punished after the first flush and recolonizing the surface nicely. My possibly bacterial grain spawn exploring it's coir top-hat. These others are doing the same The 1:4 B+ in coir is getting there for first harvest, thankfully side fruits are minimal. All the other stuff. Two of the leucistic blue magnolia rye jars are about ready to spawn. Have to decide if I'll make another monotub or do two shoeboxes. Some folks do two shoeboxes per mycoquart. I do like the idea of having my eggs in many baskets, but do I feel like making four shoeboxes... The leftmost one has a bit of that "tits pressed against glass" appearance, but the myc doesn't look like cream cheese, so it may be fine. Maybe that's the one I'll split into two shoeboxes and just do one shoebox with the other. I have more 66qt tubs I could use, just worried about taking up too much space... A friend from the other side of planet earth sent me an agar wedge of P. natalensis in a plastic baggie and a spore print. Three days after plating the agar wedge, despite spending more than two weeks in transit, and the agar is looking good ![]() Keep Shroomin'!
--------------------
| |||||||
| |||||||
| Shop: |
|
| Similar Threads | Poster | Views | Replies | Last post | ||
![]() |
Shroomy 1's Leucistic Texans ( |
8,797 | 72 | 02/14/09 07:02 AM by dead | ||
![]() |
albino TC encouragement? ( |
5,000 | 32 | 08/03/04 01:11 AM by tuna | ||
![]() |
Looking leucistic ( |
4,529 | 34 | 02/23/14 08:10 PM by cronicr | ||
![]() |
Adding humidity to shoebox during colonization ( |
4,810 | 218 | 10/31/24 09:38 AM by AcidicMind | ||
![]() |
PF albino questions | 1,945 | 2 | 07/15/05 10:44 AM by scatmanrav | ||
![]() |
A few questions about my PF Albino | 2,904 | 17 | 09/16/06 06:15 PM by the_chosen_one | ||
![]() |
albino shrooms | 3,717 | 1 | 06/07/02 10:39 AM by Lapius | ||
![]() |
Albino cubie - potency? | 2,927 | 9 | 11/21/03 11:05 AM by angryshroom |
| Extra information | ||
| You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a 4,150 topic views. 14 members, 64 guests and 111 web crawlers are browsing this forum. [ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ] | ||

On second thought, looking at it closely, there are a few nodules with what look like tiny knots. I'm going to transfer the two most promising looking ones out. One to BRF Agar, one to PFTek. I'll leave the rest of the plate, since there are other areas that look like they may be knotting, and it is drying out, so I may get some actual pins to transfer.


The Dirty Teacher jars on the right - two recovered spontaneously and are colonizing, the rest I josex poke'd two days ago from a PFPuck with healthy myc from a DT pin. Way too early to see recovery on them so I let them sit. There in the back is a distilled water bottle with a single square of colonized agar. It took awhile but there's plenty of myc suspended, floating around. I did PC a bunch of 100ml media jars yesterday to be used for LI, so I'll eventually pour a drop of that LI there onto agar to see if it's clean, then use that agar to make more LI. Fairly likely I'll be utilizing this LI as long term storage for cultures I enjoy.

by itself. 

