Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |  [ show all ]
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #28825347 -

Ooh!  I have definitely thought about doing that.  It's tempting - they're so easy to make compared to grain.  How much substrate would you suggest?  Treat it like grain and do 2:8 with a casing layer?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28825349 -

1:1 and a casing layer if you got it when it starts colonizing the surface of the sub

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #28825352 -

I've got four 4oz pfcakes colonized and ready to birth.  Once I figure out the right container to hold 16 oz shredded pfcake, 16 oz coir, and a casing layer, with decent surface area, it's go time!

Could do it in a quart jar...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28827556 -

A small update



My closet lightbulb blew out.  Guess I have to come out of the closet…

Top shelf left to right: b+ pins on no pour agar, dirty teacher pin on pfpuck, vogon albino penis envy on pf puck, each quart jar is a B+ pfcake crumbled into increasing amounts of grainwater coir, with a 4oz casing layer of grainwater coir.  4:4:4, 4:8:4, 4:12:4, 4:16:4

I didn’t really follow cocainebuffet’s advice on this, but I think reverendmyc did a similar experiment to demonstrate how increased hydrated sub can improve yields, so this will be instructive one way or another.  I also added a case before the surface is colonized, trying to go for bakedbeings bottletek, set it and forget it, only open up once it’s fruiting.  Doing pastywhite’s unmodified plastic lids for all of these.  I haven’t started playing with LC/LI just yet, so a silicone port isn’t useful to me now.  I also imagine I can get away with just pouring it into the grain under a SAB. 

Second shelf left to right:  tower of 10 pf pucks with dirty teacher agar wedge, tiger dropped tampanensis pfpuck with minisclerotia on rye, distilled water bottle with a wedge of albino mvp agar shaken daily, pf pucks of azurescens, albino mvp, avery albino

Third shelf left to right: 2 shaken avery albino rye jars, 2 shaken albino mvp jars, 2 unshaken avery albino rye jars.

Bottom shelf, right: 2 unshaken albino mvp rye jars



B+ verm’d pfcakes and a naked B+ puck in a water bath.
The OG Vogon B+ on its third flush.  I think it’s time to lay this one to rest in the garden.  I’m sure it could squeeze out a couple more fruits, but they’ve been pretty weak after dehydrating, and sadly I’m not a wednesday-evening-work-in-the-morning shroomer kind of guy, so they’re in the dehydrator getting weaker as we speak. 




I couldn’t figure out how I could break up this tamp pfpuck, then inoculate grain, with any kind of sterility.  Definitely couldn’t knock it out of the jar without a bunch of leverage.  So I did my best to have the grain jar covered with the tamp jar from above while I whacked it repeatedly until it plopped in.  Then I shook it like a newborn baby in the hopes that I’d maybe break up the puck, or at least inoculate a defent number of kernels to outrun whatever bacteria dropped in for the party.  As you can see, the puck is happily intact, mini-sclerotia and all. My grain was dried on a rack overnight after a ten minute boil and ~ 20 minute soak, and then pc’d @15 for 2:45.  It seems to be the right amount of dry to resist bacteria and the right amount of wet to be palatable to mycelium, rolls around freely in the jar, but we shall see.


How’m I doing?


Not quite 30%, maybe tomorrow is shake day.



My growing collection of plates.  Each stack is a different strain or situation.  B+ spore print streak and its transfers, B+ shroom stump and its transfers, Vogon APE and its transfers, Dirty Teacher, FP+.  My FP plates dried out, so they’re preserved, but I wanted to play with it a bit more before giving it grain to eat.  So I put a crispy bit of each of the three brf agar plates onto water agar, and today I transferred the edge of each sample’s myc back onto its own thicc brf agar plate.  Finally moving away from the medipore tape and started using cellophane like a Beefy grownup.  That oughta slow down the evaporation!

Edited by ArkaNaut (06/26/24 11:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28829390 -

Reserving this spot -
Inventory of current growing things (plates, pucks, jars, syringes) and next steps/plans for each, with photos.

Plates
Water Agar
BRF Agar

PFTek
Pucks
Cakes
Cased/Fruiting

Liquid Culture/Inoculant

Grains

Misc

Edit: and I'm overwhelmed.  Got into reading posts, taking notes, considering TEKs, and I've done nothing :laugh:

Feel free to skip this, it's a whiny rant :laugh:

Meanwhile, the mycelium has been hard at work.  This set of pics makes me happy:


Trying to replicate a set of images where some gifted TC demonstrated increased yields with higher substrate to spawn ratios.  Been searching around for those images, no dice.  What I do find are plenty of credible discussions affirming this.  1:1, expect rapid colonization but meager yields.  Up to around 6:1, the colonization is much slower but the yields are higher.  The explanation given is the moisture content of the substrate contributes to higher number and sizes of mushrooms.  Rapid colonization also decreases the chance of contamination taking hold.  In these images, we have fully colonized B+ Cakes, broken up into bits about corn kernel size, mixed with coir that has been hydrated with the water from boiling grain, then cased with the same coir.  In each, one 4 oz puck is used, and the mixture was tamped down flat.  Then 4 oz of coir was tamped down in top.  Ratios of spawn to coir are 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, and 1:4.  The image illustrates the difference in colonization time.  The 1:1 is really impressive - in the few hours I've been sitting here pondering various TEKs, it has visibly increased colonization.  The others have as well, but it isn't as noticeable since the kernels are spread so far apart.

A number of things have me feeling burned out.  For one, I have a pretty heavy duty job, and haven't had a break in ages.  Thankfully, today was my last day on the clock before a two week vacation.  I'm going to...nowhere.  Staying home and rejuvenating.  I'm frustrated also because last weekend I consumed 2.5g of Vogon B+, and whereas 2.5mg Vogon APE sent me firmly into a level 3 trip with long lasting good vibes, the B+ barely had me at a level 1.  I've had enough of a yield to have had a nice Saturday trip for the past few weeks, but tomorrow I just have a recently dehydrated 1.2g of B+, and a single shroom happened to have its veil burst from one of the B+ pucks I have in a water chamber, so chances are good it's gonna be a boring Saturday. 

I still have the B+ puck, and also an Albino MVP puck and an Avery Albino puck that are deeply colonized but have stubbornly refused to pin.  Doesn't really matter, I still have LC of these strains, and multiple plates going, sooooo I'm thinking about making tea with these pucks to supplement my meager supply. 

I have three B+ cakes pinning heavily right now, I'd anticipate a decent flush before next weekend, and I'm hoping to be able to harvest from at least one of the substrate ratio experiment bottles before next weekend.

My various grain jars are chugging along, slower than expected by all accounts, probably a grain issue - I think it may be too dry, but doesn't look contaminated, so I ought to be able set up at least a couple of shoeboxes if not a 50qt monotub, but that's unlikely to result in a harvest for a few more weeks altogether.

So I'm feeling the pressure to get something else onto grain so I can have a rolling harvest.  First I'd need to make more grain, and that's where I got lost in TEK land.  Rinse, Soak, Boil, Soak, Dry, Bottle, PC, Cool, or do I do a low prep tek and just put clean grain and water into jars and PC.  I have some mycobags, should I slow prep or low prep grain into them?  Apparently the injection ports they come with are garbage, but I've seen folks put half a quart of colonized grain into a bag with about 4qts prepped grain, which sounds kind of awesome - but do I want to tackle a whole new TEK right now, or just return to the prep technique that seems so far to be working fine...

Then again on YoshiTrainer's low prep, he suggests prepping grains in a 4oz jar, then dumping it directly onto colonized agar in another 4oz jar, then using that colonized grain to G2G spawn to a quart, which seems clever...

And then there's liquid inoculant storage, and I'm entranced by RevMyc's process of spores to BRF puck, to agar, to grain, to bulk, clone to brf, to agar, to grain, to bulk, then if it looks good, clone to agar and put into sterile distilled water.  Sets up a near infinite supply of cloned mycelium, keeps at room temperature forever.  Seems like a good thing for me to try to do...but I have 11 actives to work with, and I've only ever fruited two of them, and the one that seemed decent (APE) only gave one flush before getting trich'd out.  I have it on agar, so it's revivable, but it's a lot of steps away from another flush or going to LC.

I guess altogether I have a vision of where I'd like to be...but I'm overwhelmed by the prospect of getting there, too many options and possible courses of action.  It's like I'm just searching for the TEK that will just tell me what the heck to do next.  Up till now, the next step was - just do all the things.  Do a bunch of different grows, put stuff on agar, put stuff on PF, but it's been such awhile since I had a grow at the finish line, and feels like it'll be forever before I get there again.  I know I'll reach a point, probably not that long from now, where I'll have quart jars full of different strains, strains preserved on LC, spore grows going to look for genetics worth cloning and stabilizing, and I haven't even touched on the azurescens or the oysters or the lions mane.  Just impatient, and don't have a decent dose of shrooms to enjoy on my vaca. 

OK, pity party concluded.  It's late, and I should go to bed.  In the morning, I will:

Follow the TEK I've been using already to make 10 more grain jars.
PC a syringe, my tools, a bunch of PF Pucks, and a BRF agar jar (just to melt it and ensure sterility)
Shove the agar wedges of GT into the PFcakes, since I couldn't seem to get them in there on inoculation day and I'm not seeing any growth after a couple of days.
Pour a bunch of BRF plates
Make tea with my unused colonized pucks, eat up all my B+, and enjoy whatever comes of it.

Edited by ArkaNaut (06/28/24 10:18 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28831463 -

Trip report from the tea: gross and ineffective, 12 hrs in vinegar water.  Maybe level .25

Took the rest of my weak B+ and at least got to level 1.

Pfcakes are fruiting in water box, colonizing in jars, grains with albino mvp and avery are moving along, pins on pftek and brf agar are moving, fp+ transfers from water agar to brf are moving along.

Probably going to inoculate my brf agar jars with fp+ from water agar, once colonized I’ll sprinkle on grains, then use those for g2g.

Dirty teacher pfjars not showing progress, peeked inside and agar wedge is dried up in the verm, need to shove that down with something firm and sterile…

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28831468 -

How did you make the tea? Never had an issue with that method myself. And what's that about vinegar water?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: Pennock]
    #28831504 -

3 Old pfpucks crumbled into boiling water with a slug of vinegar, shaken, left 12hrs, strained. The vinegar should help extract more active compounds.  I think it would have been effective with actual shrooms, or a more substantial substrate of mycelium.  It was a shot in the dark that missed :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28831510 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28831514 -

Ah, I missed the bit about PF pucks before, my mistake. I was wondering why it was that bad and ineffective but that makes perfect sense :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: Pennock]
    #28832276 -

They say nothing ventured, nothing gained.  In this case, something ventured, nothing gained.  Other than the knowledge of something not to try again. 

Next:
PC
Allen wrench to shove GT into PFTek
Needles and syringes of distilled water
Tweezers
Sculpting tools
100mL bottles of distilled water
Agar bottle to pour
PFCakes
PFPucks
Low Prep Grain Jars, various grain:water ratios
Thickened LC bottle

Set up mini fridge for storage and eventual azurescens grow

Build new shelves

Inoculate bottletek with hillbilly and mazatapec

Inoculate last rye with leucistic blue magnolia

Transfer FP+ to agar jars

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28833604 -









Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut] * 1
    #28835150 -

Squeezed in some work today.  PC'd 9 rye jars and a bunch of PFpucks.  Cloned a cluster on a PFCake to BRF Agar jars.



Inoculated an old crusty rye jar with Tamp LC.  Inoculated two BottleTek Rye and Coir bottles with Albino MVP LC. 

Shoved the agar wedges of Dirty Teacher down into the PFCake from where they were floating in verm.

If they all fail, I have a promising PFPuck with the DT Pin from 6/25:



The Vogon APE that looked contam'd had been put to water agar and then put to a pfpuck.  It looks bad. :shrug:



My Substrate Ratio experiment is moving along nicely.  Wierd that 1:1 and 1:3 are doing better than 1:2 and 1:4, probably a confounding variable- quality of the individual pucks e.g.



The Albino MVP and Avery Albino agar to grain round 1, shaken on 6/24, is doing OK, slower than I'd like but probably due to the grain having dried out somewhat more than it ought to have.



The second round of AMVP and AA that were sent to grain and shaken 6/27 are moving along OK as well, though I think jar #4 has yeast or something.  No way the mycelium has uniformly colonized all of that grain so much faster than all of the other jars.



Onward and upward!  Glad that I'll have a decent dose for this weekend from those PFPucks.  The mushrooms themselves seemed healthier that then ones I had pulled from the cursed Vogon grows.  Solid stem, had some heft to them.  Hopefully a bit stronger.  Would be nice to get to level three or so again.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support and guidance!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28837078 -



A lot going on, but plenty of room on this shelf for more.

Hard red wheat.  Bought before I knew that soft white wheat is preferred. 

Popcorn.  Again, bought before I knew it was out of favor, but enough folks have charmed some shrooms out of it to not just make myself a couple wagonloads of popped corn. 

100ml vials of distilled water for LI.

Nothing for tonight, though.  It’s bedtime.  Night y’all!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28837133 -

Popcorn is fine to use as spawn you just need to follow the right tek.

During covid I only had popcorn available for spawn so I followed this tek (I know it is excessive, but it worked the couple times I used it)

Add corn to PC
Add water until there is 2" of water above the corn
Cook for 30min at 15 PSI
Let PC PSI go back down to 0
Strain cooked popcorn
Lay out on a towel (or whatever you got) and let air dry for 20min
Spread the popcorn every 10min to ensure equal evaporation
Jar or bag the hydrated corn
PC at 15psi for 90min

I only needed to use this tek a couple times but I can attest that it worked great for me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #28837655 -

CocaineBuffet said:
Popcorn is fine to use as spawn you just need to follow the right tek.

During covid I only had popcorn available for spawn so I followed this tek (I know it is excessive, but it worked the couple times I used it)

Add corn to PC
Add water until there is 2" of water above the corn
Cook for 30min at 15 PSI
Let PC PSI go back down to 0
Strain cooked popcorn
Lay out on a towel (or whatever you got) and let air dry for 20min
Spread the popcorn every 10min to ensure equal evaporation
Jar or bag the hydrated corn
PC at 15psi for 90min

I only needed to use this tek a couple times but I can attest that it worked great for me



Fantastic, thank you so much!

I’ve added another little project bc why not :laugh:

I’ve got some little brown mushrooms in my backyard.  Wrote them off as unidentifiable LBMs.  Then I read this:

ArkaNaut said:
Paneolus Cinctulus
  • Common little brown lawn mushroom
  • Makes little blue sclerotia “blue pearls”




There was whitish blue at the base, though the blue might have been my eyes wishing to see blue. :laugh:  so I have it spore printing, half on white paper half on foil.  If the print is jet black, I may be in business.  Any other color and it’s definitely not cinctulus, but other mushrooms in the patch might be. :smile:

Wish I had a microscope.  If I can’t get a print or can’t be certain, I’ll probably try cloning it onto PFsubstrate, try to fruit it.  Even a tiny flush would make it easier to get a good print.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28837659 -

Looks like a foe to me, used to have both grow in my yard. I am no expert though.


--------------------
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼    🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

"The lips of wisdom are closed, except to the ears of understanding." - The Kyballion, Three Initiates

Advanced Research of the Chronological History of Artifical Intelligence X

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: Herme5]
    #28837874 -

Pfcake bottleteks moving along.  The 1:1 and 1:3 seem to be moving fastest.  I might repeat this experiment in the future to see whether this was a fluke.  All are progressing acceptably, though :laugh:


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: Herme5]
    #28837881 -

Herme5 said:
Looks like a foe to me, used to have both grow in my yard. I am no expert though.



When I have a sporeprint, I’ll repost over in the identification forum.  If it’s jet black, I’ll be hoping to confirm cinctulus.  If it’s anything else, I’ll just be curious to find out what it actually is.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: New Hitchhiker Learns Not to Panic [Re: ArkaNaut]
    #28838100 -



Seems more on the brown side than black, but it’s not a very strong print.  This was a 6 hr print.  Cap is already disintegrating, but I moved it over to a fresh piece of foil in the sab for a 24hr print, which will have fewer intruder spores and bac.  Might be better able to tell from that.  Still gonna post this over in mushroom id and see what the sages have to say. :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Shroomy 1's Leucistic Texans
( 1 2 3 4 all )
P.Menace 8,797 72 02/14/09 07:02 AM
by dead
* albino TC encouragement?
( 1 2 all )
tuna 5,000 32 08/03/04 01:11 AM
by tuna
* Looking leucistic
( 1 2 all )
FrankHorrigan 4,529 34 02/23/14 08:10 PM
by cronicr
* Adding humidity to shoebox during colonization
( 1 2 3 4 ... 10 11 all )
AcidicMind 4,860 218 10/31/24 09:38 AM
by AcidicMind
* PF albino questions mickywilliams2 1,945 2 07/15/05 10:44 AM
by scatmanrav
* A few questions about my PF Albino DrugFreeMan 2,904 17 09/16/06 06:15 PM
by the_chosen_one
* albino shrooms cheesenoonions 3,717 1 06/07/02 10:39 AM
by Lapius
* Albino cubie - potency? jimsuzo 2,927 9 11/21/03 11:05 AM
by angryshroom

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
4,152 topic views. 13 members, 45 guests and 202 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.