Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech?
    #2884997 -

Why is it that Canada won't allow Fox news into the country? I thought Canada was the bastion of freedom, so much more so than the US (if you believe many Canadians). Even if you dislike Fox, wouldn't it be more open-minded if they were allowed in another point of view? I really don't see a big difference between CNN, BBC, CBC and FOX news.

Is this true?

So the question has to be asked: Why does Canada stifle freedom of speech/press?


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Innvertigo (07/13/04 12:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2885023 -

So does the Canadian Govt prohibit the broadcast?

Or do the Canadian people hate Fox, so they wouldnt make any money?

I thought with satellite you could get news from tons of countries? I dont know cause i cant afford cable :crazy2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: DieCommie]
    #2885025 -

I'm not really sure about the situation but I've heard from many different people that they weren't allowed to broadcast from Canada, maybe a seal beater will chime in and let us know what the exact situation is.


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2885031 -

Well i dont think Canada has a "first amendment", and "anti bias" laws usually trump free speech...

I think there have been cases of individuals prosecuted and incarcerated for voicing bias opinions like anti-jew and ant-gay stuff.  Maybe some canadian can inform us on this as well....

I think canadians prefer limiting free speech as not to offend anyone.... :shrug:...seems stupid to me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: DieCommie]
    #2885101 -

I know Canada doesn't offer HBO due to specific contract obligations. Perhaps that could be true of Fox.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2885301 -

banning american tv is not a violation on free speech, its saving the canadians for alot of garbage. seriously, this has nothing to do with freedom of speech prolly and just about buisness and money.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2885354 -

I'm guessing it has to do with the guy/company that owns the vast majority of media outlets in Canada not wanting Fox news in as a competitor. I can't remember the company's name off the top of my head, but I'll see what I can dig up. He makes Rupert Murdoch look like a nice guy...


--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: shriek]
    #2885658 -

Quote:
banning american tv is not a violation on free speech, its saving the canadians for alot of garbage



many, and I'm included, find the BBC to be a garbage pile. Atleast we in the United States allow couterveiw points. I guess you're not so free afterall. hmmpphh.

Quote:
this has nothing to do with freedom of speech prolly and just about buisness and money.




prolly???

I disagree, I think the utopian wanna be's in Canada just don't want to hear opposition to what they're government is feeding them.


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: GernBlanston]
    #2885673 -

Quote:
I'm guessing it has to do with the guy/company that owns the vast majority of media outlets in Canada not wanting Fox news in as a competitor.




So much for Canadians' claim that they have free thought and markets eh?

I thought they were free?


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2885676 -

Is it really that Canada has banned it, or do Canadians simply not want it?


--------------------


"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2885698 -

that's what i'm asking. I've heard that Fox isn't allowed there and others say they don't want it. Who knows?

Either way it's the media, and in a free society i'd let the viewers decide.


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2885703 -

:lol:

FOX isn't banned in Canada...where did you guys get this silly idea from? Anyone with cable gets FOX, and in lots of places you can get it with just an antenna, too :wink:

FOX News is a bunch of garbage. I hope no one watching it takes what they're saying literally...


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: trendal]
    #2885719 -

I'll defend the right of any American to the last drop of your blood to say anything they want to say in Canada.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #2885725 -

I'm dissapointed that people here are ok with the Canadian government censoring people.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2885736 -

Is it really the government censoring people, or is it just lack of interest? That's what I'm trying to figure out.


--------------------


"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2885741 -

I'd also like to know if these "anti bias" laws exist, and what they are exactly.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: silversoul7]
    #2885748 -

We all get FOX, like I said: it's not a question of whether we like it or not :wink:

FOX gives me the Simpsons to watch, about it's only redeeming quality!


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: trendal]
    #2885751 -

Then why do people keep saying it? I really want to know. If so then Canada isn't as free as you may think. If it's just lack of interest by the people then the people have spoken. But i doubt it.


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: trendal]
    #2885763 -

maybe I should rephrase it then, do you get FOX NEWS. That's what I was referring to.

FOX and FOX NEWS are the same company but different channels.


--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Canada and Fox News. - freedom of speech? [Re: GernBlanston]
    #2885765 -

GernBlanston said:
I'm guessing it has to do with the guy/company that owns the vast majority of media outlets in Canada not wanting Fox news in as a competitor. I can't remember the company's name off the top of my head, but I'll see what I can dig up. He makes Rupert Murdoch look like a nice guy...



That would be Leonard Asper of CanWest.


--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Canada's new role in the world Ellis Dee 753 13 07/17/03 01:12 PM
by atomikfunksoldier
* The Politics of Canada
( 1 2 all )
machineelf368 3,115 25 12/13/02 10:30 AM
by 1stimer
* Fox News
( 1 2 3 all )
Anonymous 2,011 45 03/10/03 05:57 AM
by Innvertigo
* FOX News is my new favorite thing on tv. friartuck 1,092 10 04/18/03 02:41 PM
by Innvertigo
* Free speech falls prey to 'human rights'
( 1 2 all )
wingnutx 2,987 35 08/19/03 07:18 AM
by shakta
* Recent Gore speech
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Edame 4,300 66 08/11/03 09:18 PM
by pattern
* SHAME ON CANADA - FREE SPEECH IN PERIL!
( 1 2 all )
EvilBastard 2,528 39 08/21/02 11:50 AM
by EvilBastard
* Canada's PM a National Embarrassment
( 1 2 all )
EvilBastard 3,085 26 08/21/02 12:05 PM
by EvilBastard

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Enlil, ballsalsa
7,253 topic views. 3 members, 1 guests and 14 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 16 queries.