Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Duck Hunt, Enemy Enforcer

Loc: Fire in the sky
Canada's new role in the world
    #1720250 - 07/16/03 03:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Right on!

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Canada's new role in the world [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1720270 - 07/16/03 03:46 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1720482 - 07/16/03 05:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's a great article I just found.

Former U.S. Surgeon-General: Canada Has It Right On Marijuana

On Dec. 12, the House of Commons special committee on the non-medical use of drugs released a report calling for the decriminalization of marijuana, and Justice Minister Martin Cauchon has said he plans to put forth a decriminalization bill early in 2003.

It is a safe bet that the U.S. government reaction will be hostile, just as it always seems to be when people talk about reconsidering marijuana laws.

Canadians should understand that on drug policy, the U.S. government is increasingly out of step with Americans. Canadians should use their own good sense, make their own judgments, and disregard U.S. bullying, as most of our drug laws were made on a racist foundation instead of science.

In September, when the Canadian Senate special committee on illegal drugs issued a report that recommended replacing marijuana prohibition with a system of regulation, the official U.S. reaction was swift and blunt. John Walters, director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (commonly termed the Drug Czar) was quoted on both sides of the border expressing his dismay. He even hinted at a border crackdown that could strangle trade between our nations.

U.S. drug-policy leaders should spend more time talking with knowledgeable Canadians such as Senate committee chairman Pierre Claude Nolin to learn why they have reached such dramatically different conclusions from the U.S. drug warriors. If they did, they might learn that much of their rhetoric about marijuana being a "gateway drug" is simply wrong. After decades of looking, scientists still have no evidence that marijuana causes people to use harder drugs. If there is any true "gateway drug," it's tobacco.

And tobacco, through its direct physical effects, kills many thousands of people every year. So does alcohol. And it is easy to fatally overdose on alcohol, just as you can fatally overdose on prescription drugs, or even over-the-counter drugs, such as aspirin or acetaminophen (the active ingredient in Tylenol).

I don't believe that anyone has ever died from a marijuana overdose.

This is not to say that marijuana is harmless. It's not, and there are good reasons not to use it -- especially for young people.

But from a public-health perspective, there is a solid case to be made that arresting marijuana users, giving them criminal records and disrupting careers and families does more harm to more people than the drug itself does.

Why do U.S. officials such as Mr. Walters so adamantly resist even having this discussion? The answer lies in the numbers. We have a massive antidrug bureaucracy that is largely fuelled by our war on marijuana: Nearly half of all drug arrests in the United States are for marijuana-related charges, and 89 per cent of those are for simple possession. Take away those arrests and massive antidrug budgets are much harder to justify.

But if our officials start making threats again, Canadians should remember that those officials don't represent the views of the American public. A Nov. 4 Time magazine poll found that 72 per cent of Americans don't believe marijuana users should go to jail. Eighty per cent believe seriously ill people should be able to use marijuana for medical purposes, despite our government's rigid opposition to that humane and sensible idea.

If Canada needs guidance, it can look toward Europe, where many governments have moved toward enlightened policies, and others are conducting serious, thoughtful examinations of their marijuana laws. If we are lucky, Canada will set an example that the United States will eventually follow.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1720624 - 07/16/03 07:01 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

even a broken clock is right twice a day.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Canada's new role in the world [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1720764 - 07/16/03 08:52 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Not if the hands are broken off.

I guess it would still be right even then, but no-one would know.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Canada's new role in the world [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1723863 - 07/17/03 03:48 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, this is what is great about canada: the canadian identity is based on being NOT-american, so the more fucked up and creepy america gets, canada will just get cooler and cooler.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Re: Canada's new role in the world [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1723913 - 07/17/03 04:49 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

That is, quite possibly, the greatest definition of the Canadian identity I've ever heard. Cheers

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

Anonymous

Re: Canada's new role in the world [Re: Discordja]
    #1724044 - 07/17/03 06:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

canada rules

conservatives hate canada

conservatives suck balls

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Canada's new role in the world [Re: ]
    #1724049 - 07/17/03 06:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

That quite possibly could be the dumbest thing you have ever said. Congrats.

Noone here hates Canada.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Canada's new role in the world [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1724081 - 07/17/03 07:14 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Innvertigo writes:

Noone here hates Canada.

Ummm....

As a Laissez-faire Capitalist (which in this forum equates to "conservative") who spent the first three and a half decades of his life in Canada, I can say that I hate Canada's government. I also hate the firm belief of the majority of Canadians that government should be a combination of Mommy and Robin Hood and Santa Claus.

Well... I guess "hate" is not quite accurate. "Strongly object to" would be more accurate, or "feel despair at" would do as well.

pinky

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Canada's new role in the world [Re: atomikfunksoldier]
    #1724089 - 07/17/03 07:22 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

atomikfunksoldier writes:

yeah, this is what is great about canada: the canadian identity is based on being NOT-american...

You don't find that even the slightest bit lame? To base one's national identity on negatives rather than positives?

"Yeah, we're not sure what we are, really. But one thing is for sure, we're NOT American. America sucks, man."

What's even more lame is that in reality there is probably less difference between Americans and Canadians (except the Qu?becois, of course) than there is between the people of almost any other pair of neighboring nations except maybe Norway and Sweden.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Canada's new role in the world [Re: Phred]
    #1724114 - 07/17/03 07:52 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I meant Canada as a whole.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Re: Canada's new role in the world [Re: Phred]
    #1724211 - 07/17/03 09:24 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

You don't find that even the slightest bit lame? To base one's national identity on negatives rather than positives?

Maybe. As a nation, we do have our lamer moments. But I prefer to think that a large part of our identity stems from an active (or positive) resistence of all (well, most) things American. It's like trying to hollow out a little space in a mountain of bland, smothering CULTURE; we're so busy trying not to be Americanized we don't have the energy to cobble together an identity beyond that simple resistance.

But that might just be the sleep dep talking. I never placed much stock in borders anyway.

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

Offlineatomikfunksoldier
T'was born oftrue in the yearof the cock!

Loc: a human-infested anthill
Re: Canada's new role in the world [Re: Discordja]
    #1724830 - 07/17/03 03:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

pinkshark: You don't find that even the slightest bit lame? To base one's national identity on negatives rather than positives?

no its not really negative at all. You see, we are a soveriegn people, and we want to stay that way. Unfortunately we are situated right beside the most powerful, insane government in the world, who coincidentally want to control everything. And even more unfortunatly, we share the same language and social frame-work (immigration). So in order to stay culturally independant, we have to analyze american society, decide which parts are bad, and do the opposite of what america does. America has a disgusting drug war? we decriminalize marijuana. America forces everyone to be "American"?, we stress cultural mosaic. Its not that we view all of america as negative, but we can discern what is negative and seperate that from our national identity.

of course, this is a generalization, because many canadians are pro-american.

--------------------
enjoy the entertaining indentity i have constructed for you while you can.

Edited by atomikfunksoldier (07/17/03 03:13 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion