Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibletoad857
President of theUnited States

is it possible to leave society?
    #2881870 - 07/12/04 11:20 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

so... from time to time we've all wondered what it would be like to live out 'in the wilderness' by ourselves--growing our own food, raising our own cattle etc.

just how probable do you think it is to do this?  is it even possible in today's society?

you'd need a plot of land/place to go
you'd need tools, animals

you may very well have to sever the relationships you have with your friends and family.  is it possible to do it?  to truly leave today's world?

:piggy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: is it possible to leave society? [Re: toad857]
    #2881873 - 07/12/04 11:21 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

and one would want to completely seperate himself from his fellow humans... why?

Invisibletoad857

#2881879 - 07/12/04 11:22 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

he smells very bad

InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
    #2881902 - 07/12/04 11:29 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

It is not possible due to land issues. A few years ago a man was evicted from a cave in a national park (yellowstone I think); even though the park is public property there are laws against residing on public property...so you got to buy land to live on...so you need a job to buy the land. Tom Brown could probably pull something like this off, but he chooses to participate in society even though he has the skills to survive in such an environment. In Alaska it is possible to get close to that goal, but you still need contact with fellow humans to survive.

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
    #2881908 - 07/12/04 11:31 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Anything is possible. I wouldn't want cattle though, i'd rather have a huge green house to grow crops in instead. In no way do i see it difficult to do this other then having the money to be able to afford the land, tools and the extra goods you'll need. You could even set up a shop back in town and sell organic goods. I don't see why doing this you'd have to seperate yourself from everyone i mean, you could always have helpers on your little farm. Could actually be sort of spiritual to spend some time growing the crops and putting in all the work and effort of growing the essentials you need to survive.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #2881914 - 07/12/04 11:32 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

unless it was a commune, then there would be other people, too.
but it's been done before.

it would be hard leaving all the comforts that i grew up with though. but i think that there is a harmonious way of living with technology...now that would be very nice.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Anonymous

#2881931 - 07/12/04 11:38 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

to "leave society" would have some serious drawbacks.

there would be the material drawbacks. you'd have to forego the efficiency allowed by division of labor and do everything yourself. life would be a lot of work even for a very basic existance (which is all it would be).

you'd lose out on the intellectual benefits of interacting with other people. you'd forego all of the knowledge and experience which other people have to offer.

you'd be terribly lonely. it would be a life without love or friendship.

Invisibletoad857

#2881937 - 07/12/04 11:39 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

you could be friends with your cattle

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: is it possible to leave society? [Re: CleverName]
    #2881978 - 07/12/04 11:59 AM (19 years, 8 months ago)

The practical issues would make this very difficult. Even if you owned the land you were staying on you would have to pay your property taxes every year or someone from the government would come to evict you.

More importantly, it is the nature of the rational animal to live in community with other rational animals. The person who desires to separate himself from society entirely is in reality attempting to separate himself from his nature; to be something other than he is. Great saints of many traditions have gone off into the wilderness to discover their purpose and to commune with God. None have remained isolated forever, rather they eventually return to the community and work for the betterment of the human species as a whole. Maybe God is calling you into the wilderness. If this is the case go with an open mind/heart and a clean conscience, and the right gear( I almost froze to death the first time I went). Be aware however that He will probably call you to return after a while to serve your brothers and sisters.

Peace

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: is it possible to leave society? [Re: shroomydan]
    #2882070 - 07/12/04 12:23 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

is it possible? of course man
is it possible for everyone? of course not

Ive found myself in a fairly unique position in this regards, as i stand to inherit possession of a very large, very beautifull piece of land in a wonderfull wilderness area, not completely isolated, but the only other people are a good distance away, and even then its just a small cabin commmunity with one corner store.

The construction has already begun, but by the time it is completed the land will contain a very large 3 building cabin complex, complete with solar and geothermal energy (self sufficient, no new electricity needs to be wired in) more than one vegetable garden as well as  a large number of naturally growing and planted fruit and berry shrubs. In addition the property is located on one of the worlds best fresh water sources, and drinking water is right outside your door.

It is also located on the best fishing spot in the entire lake, usually in summer there are 5 or 6 fishing boats floating right outside our dock. We might even create a natural fish farm to contain and raise trout and pickerel. Also, game animals such as duck, pheasant and deer abound. If the need arose one could easily catch two days worth of food in a single day of fishing on the dock with a rifle in hand, shooting down the ducks and such that frequently waddle or fly by.

An indoor greenhouse and pot cultivation field are also in the works. The area is surrounded by water on three sides, and a security gate and dense bog surroundings ensure near total safety and privacy.

Although this property belongs to my father, i work on the place all summer, landscaping, building and repairing. I can already tell that by the time this place is complete, its beauty will be staggering. It makes me feel very secure knowing that whatever may happen in this crazy world, i will have one of the safest, most beautifull and most naturally abundant hideaways in the world, hundreds of miles from any major city.

When this place is complete it will provide safety from anything less than a massive nucleur holocaust, meteor impact or ravening hordes of scorpion locusts, ala revelations.

Sorry to brag but this is how i plan to leave society, when its time for me to settle down.

In the mean time i will leave this society in different ways, mainly by traveling to cultures and societies that are entirely different from the one i was born in.

Anyways it can be done, although usually not as comfortably as im doing it, as i have the amazing resource of a financially succesfull hard working father who is as afraid as i am of the state of the globe.

Maybe we can even turn it into a nice little commune when i take possession?

:stoned:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: is it possible to leave society? [Re: Moonshoe]
    #2882105 - 07/12/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

You are one of the luckiest fuckers I know, man, sincerely and truly. :shocked: :thumbup:

Make sure you will be completley self-subsistent in this place. Advance your mushroom and marijuana cultivation skills, and of course gardening skills, etc. etc. etc....

When peak oil crashes everything, you'll be able to keep on living and enjoying it as well. :laugh:

You know, if you ever need a hard-working, easy-going musician who will do more than his fair share of work and smoke some pot and play guitar at night for the enjoyment of all, let me know. :lol:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: is it possible to leave society? [Re: shroomydan]
    #2882404 - 07/12/04 01:46 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:

More importantly, it is the nature of the rational animal to live in community with other rational animals.

"Man is not a rational animal. Man is a rationalizing animal."
(attributed to ummmmm lazarus long, that's the ticket... no, ummmm woodrow wilson smith... i mean captain aaron sheffield... wait, i mean doctor lafe hubert....

ok, robert a heinlein, darn it...)

~

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

Invisibletoad857

#2882541 - 07/12/04 02:18 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Moonshoe said:

Maybe we can even turn it into a nice little commune when i take possession?

:stoned:

i'm in.  ill bring tato-salad.  :mushroom2:

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

#2882754 - 07/12/04 03:19 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

fuck potato salad man, bring me 20 sacks of potatos, some hydroponic gear, and a mating pair of cattle and your in.

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis
 User Gallery

#2882759 - 07/12/04 03:20 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

^^^^^ unless your really hot, in which case all you need to bring is birth control.

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: is it possible to leave society? [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #2882960 - 07/12/04 04:46 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

solitude is not really serving any purpose IMO.
i think alot of lifes meaning is derived from relationships.

Quote:

Huehuecoyotl said:
It is not possible due to land issues. A few years ago a man was evicted from a cave in a national park (yellowstone I think); even though the park is public property there are laws against residing on public property...so you got to buy land to live on...so you need a job to buy the land. Tom Brown could probably pull something like this off, but he chooses to participate in society even though he has the skills to survive in such an environment. In Alaska it is possible to get close to that goal, but you still need contact with fellow humans to survive.

This is also very unfortunate.
revolt fuckers.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: is it possible to leave society? [Re: BleaK]
    #2882971 - 07/12/04 04:52 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BleaK said:
solitude is not really serving any purpose IMO.
i think alot of lifes meaning is derived from relationships.

Obviously solitude can serve some purpose. :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleMellowMood
Dreamin Man
Loc: in the vast
Re: is it possible to leave society? [Re: BleaK]
    #2882975 - 07/12/04 04:54 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

I plan to raise enough money and gain enough knowledge while im stuck here in society so that i can buy some land use my knowledge. Its Possible with knowledge.

--------------------
"Im a dreamin man
yes thats my problem
I cant tell when im
not being real"

OfflineBleaK
paradox
Re: is it possible to leave society? [Re: MellowMood]
    #2882986 - 07/12/04 04:58 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MellowMood said:
I plan to raise enough money and gain enough knowledge while im stuck here in society so that i can buy some land use my knowledge. Its Possible with knowledge.

have fun paying taxes.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Invisibletoad857

#2883008 - 07/12/04 05:03 PM (19 years, 8 months ago)

fuck taxes!

nobody really owns[/] land anyway. you're just takin' care of it for the next guy.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates