Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 1068 | 1069 | 1070 | 1071 | 1072 | 1073 | 1074 | 1075 | 1076 | 1077 | 1078 | 1079 | 1080 | 1081 | 1082 | 1083 | 1084 | 1085 | 1086 | 1087 | 1088 | | Last >
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LtLurker]
    #28352822 -

I kind of do this also, but I didn't think of continuing the labeling past two digits. (so I have A1, B2, but not A1B2 etc). Good thinking man, thanks!

What I do is write the number/letter of the wedge area on the back of the donor plate. So if a transfer has something good or bad growing , I know where the wedge came from on the donor plate. Mostly useful for germination plates but it can also work on T1 donor plates if you have a lot of sectoring.


--------------------
Mold cultivator extraordinaire

I also dabble in bacteria

I'm also a retard sometimes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: altford78]
    #28352877 -

I’d like to you ketchup cups for petri and do a pour in the still airbox but having trouble finding a good tech. Now sure if someone can point me in a better direction. Should I poke a hole in them and cover with some micro pore tape or what? Or someone have a good step my step tek or video?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Funguy50]
    #28352912 -



--------------------
How do pirates clone their mushrooms?

        With agarrrrrr.:captain::captain:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sprocket]
    #28352914 -

I do the no pour tek with my agar cups.


--------------------
How do pirates clone their mushrooms?

        With agarrrrrr.:captain::captain:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Funguy50]
    #28352951 -

If you wana use ketchup cups and pour just open them up in ur sab when you are ready to pour and do em one at a time. After each cup put the lid on, dont leave em open while pouring. Make a stack as you go just dont pile to high. Dont poke holes unless ur doing nopours in which you cant use standard ketchup cups.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sprocket]
    #28353017 -

Funny enough I did have those in my cart. How long do you pc for and as what pressure?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Funguy50]
    #28353236 -

20-30 minutes at 15psi.  I stack them and wrap with aluminum foil then into the pc.


--------------------
How do pirates clone their mushrooms?

        With agarrrrrr.:captain::captain:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: sprocket] * 2
    #28353578 -


Here's an update on those test plates. One of the PDA has not shown growth yet or is slow so it is not pictured.
Otherwise the Grain water is fucking up and the LME is right where I want it to be.


--------------------
Meditation Principles

Silence: Giving you room to listen / Stillness: Giving you room to feel / Spaciousness: Just giving you room

IRC: ##mycology on Libera.chat come hang!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mushhead] * 2
    #28353587 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Prolific Koi] * 6
    #28354221 -

The clones I put to grits/coir petris on 6.6.23 are looking promising.


Grits/Coir soda can petri - EQ clone test 10.6.23


Grits/Coir soda can petri - EQ clone test 10.6.23


--------------------
This hobby has taught me many things.
Most of those things are patience.


The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Shroomery
The Official Shroomery Cultivation Museum
CakeWars
III

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Scemilope] * 1
    #28354363 -

Since I switched to the presto from my old ~12-13psi PC, I get burned agar, even at 20mins. Yesterday I found one of mushboys' old posts where he said to try to mix the ingredients with cold water, no pre-boil, and just stick in the PC like that. So I figured I'll try that.

Well not only do I still get the burned agar,now I also have an agar patty sitting at the bottom of the bottle.  25mins at 18psi.





Fuck man, it's really not my day today is it. Trashed 6 shoeboxes, went to pour some plates since I have myc climbing the walls and surprise! Oh also a bird pooped on me while I was trashing the shoeboxes. I haven't had a bird poop on my for a decade. I think the universe is just making fun of me at this point.:justfuck:

I'm going to boil it anyway and see if something useful comes out of this. Let me know if you have any ideas.


--------------------
Mold cultivator extraordinaire

I also dabble in bacteria

I'm also a retard sometimes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: altford78]
    #28354373 -

altford78 said:
Since I switched to the presto from my old ~12-13psi PC, I get burned agar, even at 20mins. Yesterday I found one of mushboys' old posts where he said to try to mix the ingredients with cold water, no pre-boil, and just stick in the PC like that. So I figured I'll try that.

Well not only do I still get the burned agar,now I also have an agar patty sitting at the bottom of the bottle.  25mins at 18psi.





Fuck man, it's really not my day today is it. Trashed 6 shoeboxes, went to pour some plates since I have myc climbing the walls and surprise! Oh also a bird pooped on me while I was trashing the shoeboxes. I haven't had a bird poop on my for a decade. I think the universe is just making fun of me at this point.:justfuck:

I'm going to boil it anyway and see if something useful comes out of this. Let me know if you have any ideas.









Thermal break is annoying, Melt them, stir it super well to get the agar mixed in, let the bullshit settle out, pour iff the top slowly into a new media bottle and PC again for 15 min, if you did a good job decanting it should be perfect.


To avoid i add boiling water to agar and lme then mix thoroughly in a pyrex beaker (measuring cup works), pour into media bottle and top with more boiling water (i use a teakettle)  swirl and PC for 25 min at 15 psi. It happens more at higher psi.


Make sure you use plenty of water for agar, ita temping to use less for a short cycle but it might be contributing to your thermal break.


--------------------
Learn about breeding

C10’s agar guide
Good surface conditions = Good pinsets
Read more, post less.
🅂 🄰 🄼 🄴  🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼
🅃 🄴 🄰 🄼  🄲 🄻 🄸 🄽 🄶 🅆 🅁 🄰 🄿

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: altford78]
    #28354379 -

I have had this happen when I do not use enough water in the pressure cooker and the agar cools too quickly. I keep a hot plate with near boiling water near my flow hood. If I happen to have agar cooled on the bottom like that I stick it in the water to maintain a liquid until I’m ready to use it. I haven’t had any problems doing this. But the only time this happens to me is when I don’t use enough water in the PC. I would also like to know if there are other reasons for this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: altford78] * 2
    #28354388 -

are you using the canning rack to prevent your jars from sitting directly on the bottom of your PC?
if not try raising your jars up using metal rings for your jars if you do not have the rack.


--------------------
Meditation Principles

Silence: Giving you room to listen / Stillness: Giving you room to feel / Spaciousness: Just giving you room

IRC: ##mycology on Libera.chat come hang!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: mushhead]
    #28354412 -

AyePlus said:
Thermal break is annoying, Melt them, stir it super well to get the agar mixed in, let the bullshit settle out, pour iff the top slowly into a new media bottle and PC again for 15 min, if you did a good job decanting it should be perfect.


To avoid i add boiling water to agar and lme then mix thoroughly in a pyrex beaker (measuring cup works), pour into media bottle and top with more boiling water (i use a teakettle)  swirl and PC for 25 min at 15 psi. It happens more at higher psi.


Make sure you use plenty of water for agar, ita temping to use less for a short cycle but it might be contributing to your thermal break.



Thanks! So it's called thermal break, good to know.

I microwaved one of them and got it all mixed up again. Stuck both of them in hot water bath and will let them come up to 90C.

I was hoping to pour these today, I mean the burned shit doesn't seem to affect the myc in any way, it's annoying to look at. But I'll keep your idea of pouring it into a new bottle. I guess I could also just filter it out with a cheesecloth or something.

I usually boil the mix before putting it in the PC. I don't get the thermal break when I do that. But I do get the burned stuff. I thought to try a cold mix but I still get the burned stuff so it's not the double boil that causes that.

Water in the PC is up to the 300ml line on the bottles, I guess I can try putting all the way up to the 400ml line, which is where the agar is, but I don't think it's going to make much difference. I can also try to make sure I don't go past 15psi but I mean, it shouldn't burn like that with only 2-3psi difference.


Chamo said:
I have had this happen when I do not use enough water in the pressure cooker and the agar cools too quickly. I keep a hot plate with near boiling water near my flow hood. If I happen to have agar cooled on the bottom like that I stick it in the water to maintain a liquid until I’m ready to use it. I haven’t had any problems doing this. But the only time this happens to me is when I don’t use enough water in the PC. I would also like to know if there are other reasons for this.




Water in the PC is up to the 300ml line on the bottles so it's almost up to the agar level. Next time I'll put it up to the agar line just to exclude the possibility, although I doubt it's that. Maybe also try bringing it up to temp with lower heat on the cooker.


mushhead said:
are you using the canning rack to prevent your jars from sitting directly on the bottom of your PC?
if not try raising your jars up using metal rings for your jars if you do not have the rack.



Yep, I do. I was thinking of putting another trivet in there to raise them even higher, but I think that's just fucking around at this point. :shrug:


--------------------
Mold cultivator extraordinaire

I also dabble in bacteria

I'm also a retard sometimes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AyePlus]
    #28354423 -

by the way is this what people refer to when they talk about "caramelized sugars" when agar is kept too long in the PC? Or is that something else?


--------------------
Mold cultivator extraordinaire

I also dabble in bacteria

I'm also a retard sometimes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: altford78] * 1
    #28354427 -

caramelization of sugar begins at 320F, so you would need more than 15 PSI to caramelize sugar in a PC.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: altford78]
    #28354430 -

I've seen that term be broadly used to describe almost any kind of sediment in agar.  Theoretically it's not possible unless you are using sucrose.

Here's a good read about it with some specific temps required for each food source:

Can you overcook LME Agar?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: PBJ710]
    #28354431 -

that's what I'm thinking as well, that's like 75psig.

so why do I keep burning the agar? :shrug:

EDIT: Thanks PBJ170, will take a look


--------------------
Mold cultivator extraordinaire

I also dabble in bacteria

I'm also a retard sometimes

Edited by altford78 (06/10/23 11:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: altford78]
    #28354433 -

What kind of agar do you use?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 1068 | 1069 | 1070 | 1071 | 1072 | 1073 | 1074 | 1075 | 1076 | 1077 | 1078 | 1079 | 1080 | 1081 | 1082 | 1083 | 1084 | 1085 | 1086 | 1087 | 1088 | | Last >

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Is this contamination or just wet agar? ligma 69 8 10/04/26 01:29 PM
by Agar Wedge
* Agar in the fridge for 6 months, how is it? Yetidude 73 5 10/05/26 03:21 PM
by Yetidude
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,838 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,390 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,007 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,703 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,325 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,939 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
776,239 topic views. 23 members, 391 guests and 177 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.052 seconds spending 0.026 seconds on 16 queries.