Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Swami Truth Challenge
    #2775179 - 06/08/04 03:17 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Spirituality is NOT about aliens, drugs, pretty colors & patterns, praying nor meditation. It is about being as authentic a human being as you can be.

One powerful measure of where you are is in what you speak. I contend that all lies (please spare me the million possible scenarios where lying can be rationalized) are tools to keep us stuck in ego. Bragging, distortion, exaggeration, deception and outright falsehoods are tricks to bolster and protect the ego and abdicate responsibility.

In this challenge (should you accept the terms), you must monitor everything that comes forth from your mouth or pen or keyboard for one week. Note even the slightest pull to enhance your "heroic" deeds and excuse your failings.

Telling the truth does not mean exposing the world to every single thought that is running through your head at the moment (like in a bad comedy).

Next week we will get together again to honestly see how we did.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (06/08/04 05:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: Swami Truth Challenge [Re: Swami]
    #2775508 - 06/08/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I'm up for taking the pep... err swami challenge. I came to a similar realization a while ago, that there is absolutely nothing bad, but rather our relative perception interprets things that way. There is no reason to try and make yourself look good or be wealthy, as in the end we will just die, leaving behind these desires of our ego. Now I mean I've always rationalized things and thought that nothing bad really exists, but this realization as well as others have been much more direct and have caused me to change my way of living and my perception of things. Honestly, I haven't been sad or angry in like 6 months, for there's no reason to be. This is even including hearing my mom's cancer diagonosis, :/.

But I'll take you up on your challenge and let you know how it goes. Already as it is, I put very little emphasis on personal gain or pride, but there is always some inherit human pride, a creation of the ego, which causes us to evolve and expand, constantly trying to compete with our surroundings. This isn't good, but it isn't bad really either. It just is :smile:

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #2775606 - 06/08/04 06:18 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
Spirituality is NOT about aliens, drugs, pretty colors & patterns, praying nor meditation. It is about being as authentic a human being as you can be.

:thumbup:

"It seems to me, spirituality is a very here and now matter.  One should..visit the sick & imprisoned, clothe the naked, bury the dead, care for orphans, feed the hungry..that's what the spiritual life is about.  It's very down to earth; straight forward."
~Terence McKenna

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2775836 - 06/08/04 07:45 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Indeed. We are all in this together. Distance and seperateness are a real illusion to overcome. Intelligence was gifted to us and along with it compassion. Its too bad the world fails to see both qualities completely.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Edited by psyka (06/08/04 07:49 PM)

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Swami Truth Challenge [Re: deff]
    #2775854 - 06/08/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

feelings and emotions are human. lack of them may be harmful. if you feel ok, then cool, its not healthy or truthful-to-self for one to be numb to the experiences of life.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Edited by CleverName (06/09/04 08:35 AM)

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #2776628 - 06/09/04 12:17 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I'm already perfect. I already speak the truth, painful as it might sometimes be. I don't like the truth at times, but the truth is all we have.

Now, having said that, every utterance that is a distortion will be glaring at me over the next week.

btw, has anyone ever raised hermit crabs? Aren't they the cutest things?

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2776698 - 06/09/04 12:50 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"Spirituality is NOT about aliens, drugs, pretty colors & patterns, praying nor meditation. It is about being as authentic a human being as you can be."

while I do think it is about being authentic, i think excluding what spirituality isn't destroys it's own authenticity. another person could have a point of view that anything can be labeled as "spiritual" it just depends on their own experience.

why can't "pretty" colors be spiritual? I've seen some sunsets, and I've seend some forests, that look so beautiful that my mind calmed down and payed attention to what is actually around us.

being connected to the essence of life and stepping back for a moment to just be at peace, fully in the moment, is a part of spirituality as well. And maybe I'm delsuional, but when I see "pretty colors" in the sky during a sunset, it brings back the awe living, for just a few moments.

the same could be said for any of the other things you labeled as "not spritual"

who is anyone to say what does and what doesn't have spirituality at all?

spirtuality has to deal with a deep connection with life, and many people have many types of connections. what is there doesn't really matter, but rather how you feel about what's there is where the spirituality comes in. The beauty in all of it is that anything could have this spritual connection.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Edited by kaiowas (06/09/04 01:02 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Swami Truth Challenge [Re: Frog]
    #2776722 - 06/09/04 12:59 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

*Thread derailment alert*

has anyone ever raised hermit crabs? Aren't they the cutest things?

I prefer fiddler crabs. They have one claw tiny enough to manipulate atoms and one claw big enough to crush a Volkswagon. Kind of like me. Guess I should occasionally switch hands...

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Swami Truth Challenge [Re: kaiowas]
    #2776731 - 06/09/04 01:02 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

why can't "pretty" colors be spiritual? I've seen some sunsets, and I've seend some forests, that look so beautiful that my mind calmed down and payed attention to what is actually around us.

True enough, but if you remain petty and unchanged for more than a moment, then it was merely entertainment.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

#2776767 - 06/09/04 01:16 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

"True enough, but if you remain petty and unchanged for more than a moment, then it was merely entertainment."

not totally, it depends on how the experience is used :wink:

what if I was alert enough to realize that I could feel this peaceful more often? that's what I did.  maybe delusion to some, but I feel that I should be happy at least 90% of the time, and in fact, I over react a lot.  this can provide clairity which is essential towards good judgement and action. this could be used as catalyst for motivation in bettering oneself. to take a look inside and to be aware of ones own actions and achieve a peaceful state of mind more often than not.

on the flipside, what if it allows a person to see how petty they really are?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Edited by kaiowas (06/09/04 01:18 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#2776785 - 06/09/04 01:24 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Those sound like changes.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

#2776798 - 06/09/04 01:34 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

i understand those are changes..that was the point.

are you saying that if something isn't spiritual to one person, then it isn't spiritual at all?

I'm saying the opposite. I'm saying that everything is spiritual, and that beauty in it is that each of us holds onto something a little bit different than the next.

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2776944 - 06/09/04 02:53 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

no man, not EVERYTHING is spiritual... I wish alot of people could embrace the right wrong theory, and accept there ARE things which are 'wrong'... fuck all this " well if I THINK it is right, IT IS" and then going and murding 20 children... man the way some people think makes me sick..

sorry for the rant

!

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
Re: Swami Truth Challenge [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2777136 - 06/09/04 05:48 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

people that think everything is either black or white make me sick  :tongue:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Swami Truth Challenge [Re: Muppet]
    #2777182 - 06/09/04 06:54 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

*headbang*

Awesome retorts from Kaiowas and Muppet.

I agree a little with each of you.

It's a little too easy to get morals mixed up in a conversation about spirituality...

I think one of the biggest problems with Swami's original proposed concept of "what spirituality is" lies in the fact that in order to reach a point where one wants to BE this "authentic" human being they must experience some mental and emotional state-of-mind changes. These often come about as a result of the things you listed as being non-spiritual; much in the way that Kaiowas described above.

Are catalysts to spiritual states of mind not spiritual in themselves? I think that's a question that is completely subjective as well.. but it is food for thought.

Swami, perhaps your own personal spirituality revolves around the external and doing things to better the external... but some people are in a state where spirituality is about bettering themselves internally. Before these individuals can act externally in the way you've described, they must first learn to be at peace with themselves.

Anyway.. I should say one more thing: I'm not trying to say that it's impossible for every one of us to "tell the truth for a week".. I'm simply trying to point out that spirituality is a lot more grey than it is black and white.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
    #2777318 - 06/09/04 08:31 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

spirituality vs ego.

that is my problem.  i dare say its probably most peoples problem, even if they think they are spiritual people.

have you forgotten where you come from?  its hard to imagine being a child again, but i remember eating and crapping, doing things to please myself, and not caring about others unless there was some gain for me. i hurt a lot of peoples feelings and had no regrets.

nowadays i could say i know better, but why?

because my parents told me so? maybe my teachers? i didnt listen to them.

i had some experiences in my life, involving beauty, love, ideas i have in my head, and basic mechanics.

once, i saw the beauty in everything... everything i could imagine.  its hard to see that all the time, but its possible to see that a lot more than thinking things are ugly.

i realized that love is more than sex but also that sex can be a catalyst to love, because it can be beautiful and endearing, regardless of what else it could be. and thogh love can have nothing to do with sex, being a man i found it hard not to intertwine the two as i reached maturity... so i had to make this realization (besides love for ones mother, her mother and so forth... that is another story in the same book).

i had an idea that everone else is having ideas and everyone else is just stumbling in the dark as much as i was, and still am.  theres no trophy for being good... and if there is one i dont know about, you cant take it with you when you die, so it would be pointless.  there is no affirmation by a greater diety or the universe itself other than yourself.  your fellow humans and animals that tell you might happen to be on the right track are all in your head anyways!

and basic mechanics and physics.  the world works.  the universe works.  wether or not we think we work in it or with it, we are a byproduct of our environment, literally.  to quote mr alan watts "just as an apple tree fruits, the universe peoples."  we cannot help it.  it needs no help.

back to my original thought... dont forget where you came from, you were never mindless, but you very well could have been thoughtless.  why did that change?  how are you different?  are you different at all?  you may not be.  you may be doing exactly the same things under some more sophisticated ruse/path.  and then why should you change?  maybe you shouldnt, you seem to be getting along just fine.

peace
:kodama:

PS ill go ahead and look at my exagerations to see if they inhibit my authenticiy.

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #2777650 - 06/09/04 10:36 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

>> Spirituality is NOT about aliens, drugs, pretty colors & patterns, praying nor meditation. It is about being as authentic a human being as you can be

Some people use praying, meditation, and psychedelic drugs as a means of identifying their own authenticity, though. As human beings who cherish our own reputation to such a great extent, it is natural that we would wish to exaggerate our strengths and excuse our weakenesses. This habit, while not as apparent in some as in others, is a pervasive one in all human beings. Some of us recognize that fleeing from our faults while identifying only with our strengths is in fact destructive behaviour that destroys happiness. However, unable to identify the subtle parts of our being which continue to guide is in this direction, some of us might turn to prayer, meditation, or psychedelic drugs as a means of getting in touch with ourselves and confronting our own downfalls.

Unfortunately, it is also true that prayer, meditation, or psychedelic drugs are also easily adopted as a means of further bolstering ones own proud identity, as a kind of self-congratulating practice which aids us in ignoring our faults even moreso than before.

Those of us with a sincere wish to better ourselves will encounter a means of doing so.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #2777748 - 06/09/04 11:21 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

For the purpose of the "Swami Truth Challenge"... For which no reward has been offered; to my delight ...

I know why Novelty will reach zero.

When the timing calls for it, I will share..

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: Swami Truth Challenge [Re: Muppet]
    #2778124 - 06/09/04 02:07 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Muppet said:
people that think everything is either black or white make me sick  :tongue:

Thus Spake Muppet

I hope you are not refering to ME... there are lots of factors that can make a situation right or wrong.. killing is 'ok' in certain instances, but not in others... it is all about the situation... if that comment was not directed at me disreguard this post, sincerly

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Swami Truth Challenge [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2778605 - 06/09/04 04:58 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

yes, i think a persons intentions/motives are what matters, even if they make an honest mistake.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom