Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25764422 -

Caps McGee said:
Iso doesn't kill spores... just so you know

Spores can take up to 6 weeks to germinate... 3-5 days is typical IME

Even trich will take days to show: hell, a transfer from a living culture takes 24 hours to recover... patience dude

I'd probably streak the surface a short distance rather than stabbing





So what you're sayin is smoke a bowl and chill... Lmao Caps thank you for the germ times i had no idea it could take up to that long, hopefully i can update with positive news, u rock


--------------------
my first trip?...  She gave me the power to HEAR light and SEE sound...:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25764423 -

-monitor growth for the next 24-48hrs
-put a light underneath to check for tomentose contams
-transfer to clean receiver

Just a couple of questions.
-If I get a bit of culture on to a clean receiver. While actively avoiding the growth at 6 o'clock. will I still need to worry about the yeast?
-By clean receiver do you mean a fresh plate or can I transfer directly to grain?

I could assume some of this stuff but I'd rather not leave it up to chance.



this is a shot with a light underneath. Looks like lots of small dark spots.
sorry for the quality. I'm still figuring out how to get good pics

Edited by topohunt (01/24/19 12:16 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: topohunt]
    #25764452 -

It's realy inspiering to se all of youre prodjects.
Gonna do my first transfers of my MS Equadorian this weekend.
Hard to get good picturrs tho i have craked my lens on the Phone, gonna se if i can borrow a camera from a friend.
Wanna post pictuers and hear your oppinions :thumbup:


--------------------
Be the change you want to see

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Student6] * 1
    #25764515 -

Always be attentive for contamination, even transfers from clean cultures can become contaminated by improper sterile technique... I don't worry about spots of yeast or bacteria, they can't jump,  the mycelium away from them is unaffected by them: beauty of agar work vs LC... don't worry about molds either until they change color/sporelate... it's the meshed in infections that are hard to spot... but from what I can tell by the photo, the growth from 11-12 looks clean and uniform... get a better focused photo, maybe with a brighter light behind it... if using your phone, I've found it useful to photograph from a roughly 12-18" away from the plate and crop it down to zoom


I mean fresh plate... you can go to grain, but it's an unnecessary risk IMO, especially if this is all you have going... could let it grow a bit and do both grain and fresh plates


Highly suggest making a few transfers until you see uniformity in structure and shape... like this one (which is tomentose):



This one that's rhizomorphic:



Or these clean cultures exhibiting both types of growth:



--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Edited by Caps McGee (01/24/19 12:42 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25764777 -

Well I just wanted to pour them all so I had them for use. I'll only use like 10 out of the 25. One for cloning and some transfers and some for Ms to agar... and then transfer.

But it would be silly for me to not pour them all when I'm already doing it. So I just wanted to know if I could store the others until needed. Thanks for the replies guys.

How long do these usually stay well for unused in the fridge/shelf life


--------------------
:greyalien:



Edited by Vibe_Enthusiast (01/24/19 06:49 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25764780 -

Caps McGee said:
Always be attentive for contamination, even transfers from clean cultures can become contaminated by improper sterile technique... I don't worry about spots of yeast or bacteria, they can't jump,  the mycelium away from them is unaffected by them: beauty of agar work vs LC... don't worry about molds either until they change color/sporelate... it's the meshed in infections that are hard to spot... but from what I can tell by the photo, the growth from 11-12 looks clean and uniform... get a better focused photo, maybe with a brighter light behind it... if using your phone, I've found it useful to photograph from a roughly 12-18" away from the plate and crop it down to zoom


I mean fresh plate... you can go to grain, but it's an unnecessary risk IMO, especially if this is all you have going... could let it grow a bit and do both grain and fresh plates


Highly suggest making a few transfers until you see uniformity in structure and shape... like this one (which is tomentose):



This one that's rhizomorphic:



Or these clean cultures exhibiting both types of growth:





That last picture of yours.. what makes the myc grow both types? That's wild looking lol.


--------------------
:greyalien:



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Vibe_Enthusiast]
    #25764903 -

Vibe_Enthusiast said:
Well I just wanted to pour them all so I had them for use. I'll only use like 10 out of the 25. One for cloning and some transfers and some for Ms to agar... and then transfer.

But it would be silly for me to not pour them all when I'm already doing it. So I just wanted to know if I could store the others until needed. Thanks for the replies guys.

How long do these usually stay well for unused in the fridge/shelf life



that makes sense to pour them all. i stand corrected. :thumbup:

i predict shelf life depends much on how they are stored. stacked in an airtight, vacuum sealed box in the fridge is probably longest, and they'll last many weeks. (months even?) but vacuum sealing makes a huge contamination risk when the vacuum is broken, so not a good idea.

check this out:


developing my own no-pour system. sitting on all these, made the green ones yesterday, red ones are a week old. should last a couple weeks before i have to make more. stored unwrapped in generic polypropylene jars, on a shelf in the lab. there's about 4.5 dozen plates, just hangin out. point is, i'm confident in a shelf life measured in weeks.

speaking of, in response to the earlier debate, using food color to help keep track of stock rotation.


--------------------
 
the j stands for jesus.
2020 new years grow along

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: J. Jack Flash]
    #25764920 -

J. Jack Flash said:
Vibe_Enthusiast said:
Well I just wanted to pour them all so I had them for use. I'll only use like 10 out of the 25. One for cloning and some transfers and some for Ms to agar... and then transfer.

But it would be silly for me to not pour them all when I'm already doing it. So I just wanted to know if I could store the others until needed. Thanks for the replies guys.

How long do these usually stay well for unused in the fridge/shelf life



that makes sense to pour them all. i stand corrected. :thumbup:

i predict shelf life depends much on how they are stored. stacked in an airtight, vacuum sealed box in the fridge is probably longest, and they'll last many weeks. (months even?) but vacuum sealing makes a huge contamination risk when the vacuum is broken, so not a good idea.

check this out:


developing my own no-pour system. sitting on all these, made the green ones yesterday, red ones are a week old. should last a couple weeks before i have to make more. stored unwrapped in generic polypropylene jars, on a shelf in the lab. there's about 4.5 dozen plates, just hangin out. point is, i'm confident in a shelf life measured in weeks.

speaking of, in response to the earlier debate, using food color to help keep track of stock rotation.



Sweet man. Thanks for the reply! One more question.. when transferring.. does it matter if some of the agar gets cut out with the myc.. or just be really careful on only getting the myc?


--------------------
:greyalien:



Edited by Vibe_Enthusiast (01/24/19 08:17 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Vibe_Enthusiast]
    #25764941 -

you'll get different answers to this, i think. i must qualify mine with: i'm not an expert.

imho, short answer is no, the plate won't last forever. the myc does kinda fill in the void, but the agar doesn't grow back. not sure how feasible it is to grab bare mycelium from the void spaces to drop into grain. i suspect it'd be too keen to stick to whatever tool you're using.

longer answer is, kinda, because you can propagate the culture, sorta, by making further transfers. but if the culture isn't a genetic isolate, each transfer narrows the gene pool. for this reason, i like dropping full half-plates from MS with fewest transfers possible, into single jars. widest genetic pool increasing chances for clone-worthy fruit. cloning, i believe, is where the 80/20 rule comes into play. getting good clone cultures going, and slanting for long term storage is where it's at.

again, i disclaim the above opinions with the fact that my experience level is pretty low compared to many here. it's based on educated reasoning and a lot of coffee. i could be way off base, and hope anyone who notices corrects me in the bluntest possible terms asap.

edit: you changed the question... absolutely take agar with it. look at the tiger drop technique. literally dropping the entire contents of the plate into a jar.

Edited by J. Jack Flash (01/24/19 08:36 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: J. Jack Flash]
    #25764966 -

J. Jack Flash said:
you'll get different answers to this, i think. i must qualify mine with: i'm not an expert.

imho, short answer is no, the plate won't last forever. the myc does kinda fill in the void, but the agar doesn't grow back. not sure how feasible it is to grab bare mycelium from the void spaces to drop into grain. i suspect it'd be too keen to stick to whatever tool you're using.

longer answer is, kinda, because you can propagate the culture, sorta, by making further transfers. but if the culture isn't a genetic isolate, each transfer narrows the gene pool. for this reason, i like dropping full half-plates from MS with fewest transfers possible, into single jars. widest genetic pool increasing chances for clone-worthy fruit. cloning, i believe, is where the 80/20 rule comes into play. getting good clone cultures going, and slanting for long term storage is where it's at.

again, i disclaim the above opinions with the fact that my experience level is pretty low compared to many here. it's based on educated reasoning and a lot of coffee. i could be way off base, and hope anyone who notices corrects me in the bluntest possible terms asap.

edit: you changed the question... absolutely take agar with it. look at the tiger drop technique. literally dropping the entire contents of the plate into a jar.



For sure man I apprecaite your responses. I love the information I'm able to get odd this forum. Just trying to learn as much as I can!

Also, i did change the question but i thought it was a dumb question I asked so I changed it. But the way you answered it, maybe that was a pretty good question Haha.

Thanks again man.. hopefully I can start something pretty kick ass with these plates/cloning.

I've got a box of b+ starting to knot.. so I plan on cloning the fastest thickest fruit. Excited.


--------------------
:greyalien:



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Vibe_Enthusiast]
    #25764992 -

rock and roll, bruv. best of luck on your projects and everything else.


--------------------
 
the j stands for jesus.
2020 new years grow along

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Vibe_Enthusiast]
    #25765001 -






Thai Lipa Yai, A2G today, each to pint masters.


--------------------
Never give up, never surrender.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Vibe_Enthusiast]
    #25765067 -

Vibe_Enthusiast said:
One more question.. when transferring.. does it matter if some of the agar gets cut out with the myc.. or just be really careful on only getting the myc?



It is normal to take some of the old agar along with the transfer. Nothing wrong with that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Failboat]
    #25765091 -

Quirkmeister92 said:





Thai Lipa Yai, A2G today, each to pint masters.



How long does it usually take for it to grow from a transfer to that size?


--------------------
:greyalien:



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Vibe_Enthusiast]
    #25765164 -

Quote:
Vibe_Enthusiast said:
what makes the myc grow both types? That's wild looking lol.



Just genetic sectoring... it's believed that lower nute concentration can force rhizomorphic growth, as the culture will be spreading in search of food, but I suppose genetics is the primary determinant


--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25765169 -

Took 6/7 days on these. I measured nothing so I think the Malt was heavy. There's lots of sediment.


--------------------
Never give up, never surrender.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Failboat]
    #25765969 -



RustyWhyte agar pin clone I'm about to transfer :howyoudoing:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25766521 -

The yeast is now my biggest worry. I see little white dots all around the growth. I got some better pictures using your method which I'll post below. I also forgot to ask, How would a small amount of yeast affect a grain jar? I assume it'd ruin it.

I initially tried germinating on 17 plates on 1/9. In hindsight, this felt like wayyyy to many. But now two weeks later this is all the growth I've gotten other than 3 completely molded. So yeah this is what I'm working with for now.

also, thanks for breaking down the difference between rhizomorphic and tomentose. Thats information that I'll use all the time. I initially thought tomentose was referring to a contams position hidden under the myc. I now know how wrong that is lol



This may have been posted before but I included it to show some topography.


Edited by topohunt (01/24/19 11:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: topohunt]
    #25766609 -

How do I know when to transfer my my from first plate to new agar plate? I see no contams, I do see uniformity. But I don't know if I should transfer to agar again or just transfer to grain. It's MS

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: woofwoof]
    #25767048 -

I usually swipe 2 plates initially and transfer from the fastest/ cleanest... yeast is kind of slow, so no worries... just make transfers until you have a clean culture... it's simple as dimples and easier than you're thinking... The whole reason we start here


--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < First | | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | | Last >

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* buying agar - help sinisha 3,834 6 03/31/06 05:49 AM
by FractalXplora
* cheapest glass petri dishes, agar, dextrose, etc Fluxburn 8,385 8 02/14/05 07:57 AM
by Roadkill
* Potato Dextrose Agar X Malt Extract Agar Alegalize 7,003 8 02/25/05 11:03 AM
by agar
* test tubes agar fungophiliac 3,699 8 06/19/20 09:41 PM
by gorilliam
* LOOK! Big AGAR problem. Ever seen this? Not I. need advice BAD! agentstone 5,321 12 03/30/20 10:37 AM
by Surf707
* Agar and the global economy Dem_Bones 1,934 4 03/01/06 09:08 AM
by Dem_Bones
* Agar question WormholeSurfer 1,691 3 10/29/05 07:10 PM
by agar
* Agar's Home Made Compost recipe for bulk substrates
( 1 2 3 4 all )
agar 22,297 75 02/12/21 05:50 AM
by Bart84

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
775,641 topic views. 18 members, 86 guests and 203 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.