Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Great Political Cartoon [Re: SlapnutRob]
    #2263290 - 01/22/04 06:26 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SlapnutRob said:
First off, Evolving, Give me a fucking break. It's ridiculous to say AA is racist... you're just redefining the term to meet your own ends

Please explain to me how giving preferential treatment to someone on the basis of their race is not racist.

From hyperdictionary,
RACIST - [adj] discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (01/22/04 06:29 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSlapnutRob
Toolhead

Loc: Michigan
Re: Great Political Cartoon [Re: Evolving]
    #2264457 - 01/23/04 02:28 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

I'm fine with getting rid of the AA system at U of M as long as they get rid of all the points that favor white people unfairly like points for having alumni in the family, coming from a rural area, or for being an athlete (believe it or not, the majority of scholarships go to whites). If they just get rid of the minority points, black enrollment (which isn't as high as you might think) would shoot to nearly zero.

And I wll continue to hold that AA is not racist. Racism is hatred towards another race... it's a belief in racial supremacy... Affirmative Action is ideally meant to level the playing field, and you know that.

--------------------
Anything stated above is fictional roleplay dialog by the character that is Slapnut Rob, in no way representing the actions or beliefs of the man behind the keys.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #2264931 - 01/23/04 07:01 AM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

like points for having alumni in the family

doesn't that also benefit blacks as well? Black alumni that is. Personally i don't think an alumni should be given (i think it's onlya couple points they get) any help to a public university.

Quote:

If they just get rid of the minority points, black enrollment (which isn't as high as you might think) would shoot to nearly zero.

then so be it. If a minority doesn't qualify then they don't go. I'm sure there are more whites that DON'T make it in as there are BLACKS that don't make it in.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2265447 - 01/23/04 12:39 PM (16 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

SlapnutRob said:
And I wll continue to hold that AA is not racist.

Please explain to me how giving preferential treatment to someone on the basis of their race is not racist in light of the fact that racist is defined as 'discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion.'

Quote:

Affirmative Action is ideally meant to level the playing field, and you know that.

Ideally, ischmeally? I believe that a great number of people support it precisely because it is racist, because they unfairly believe in racial guilt and want to punish white people as a race or because in their liberal paternalistic minds, certain races couldn't make it without their enlightened help (it just makes them feel so goooooood about themselves to help those poor backward races) . It doesn't 'level the playing field,' it is an institutionalized discriminatory practice. Use the typical liberal practice of redefinition of terms all you want, discriminatory practices based on race are racist.

Do you think that the government should 'level the playing field' in professional basketball by forcing the teams to hire more whites and Orientals? Let's get away from ridiculous games. Do you think that institutions should 'level the playing field' by giving engineering degrees to people with extra chromosomes regardless of their qualifications? Would you feel comfortable flying in a plane designed and tested by such people? How about doctors, would you feel comfortable going under the knife knowing that a person received his medical degree, not because he was qualified but because some numb nuts were trying to 'level the playing field?'

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Edited by Evolving (01/23/04 12:49 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion