Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleknumb
skull
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: top, bottom, strange, cha...
music
    #2243259 - 01/15/04 04:42 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i have spent pretty much my whole life learning music.
listening, technique, instruments, performance, theory, history, culture, etc etc...

i dont know everything there is to know, and im not the best musician in the neighborhood, but i think i understand music about as well as anybody who has dedicated their life to it.

so this probably wont be new for alot of you...

music is a dead language

that doesnt mean you cant write pretty poems in it, it just means you are not going to add any new words to its vocabulary.

use all the found sounds you like, sit quietly at a piano for four minutes and thirty three seconds, feed it all into your computer, add some ultra high and low frequencies, set it on fire and make some godawful music that nobody has ever heard before and nobody ever wants to listen to.

its all the same

transpose a beethoven symphony to any key and play it through and anybody who notices probably wont care.

aliens arranging waves of pressure for a similar frequency range will at worst sound avant guard.

see thats the limitation. all music is arranged waves of pressure in the atmosphere which are picked up by any near-by machines that detect vibrations. then these waves are filtered and interpreted by the detecting device (you silly).

so thats it, you dont really hear sound, instead you interpret changes in the atmosphere around you. the sound waves are limitless but the device is not. dynamically and tonally there is a very real upper and lower limit.

i still dont know if i have properly illustrated my point.
i dont know if i can

maybe "dead language" is the wrong phrase to use and "dead end" would fit better.

its like exploring earth with a global positioning system. you might put your foot somewhere nobody has before but its going to feel like every other step you have ever taken. besides its already on a map and it wont be any problem finding your way home. your just not much of an explorer.

but shit im not trying to get you down. i was depressed all day thinking about it until my girlfriend told me to shut the fuck up and play music cause i like to do it.

so yeah that the moral of the story

one other thing
we (my gf and i) were listening to the radio and somebody was eating a banana on the air. she asked me why the dj was eating a banana and i told her it was probably "music" after which the real dj got on the air and anounced the name of the song as "man eating a banana".

im not sure what this has to do with the rest of this post but it seems to fit in somewhere

thanks for reading

what do you think?

k

--------------------
----------------------------------------
we hope that you choke

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleJared
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: music [Re: knumb]
    #2243371 - 01/15/04 07:30 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've thought about this before.. that eventually every sound, lyric and composition would be done.. Eventually the ceiling for music will be reached, and it won't be possible to create new music as everything will have been done.The same thing applies to drawing, and digital imaging.. as new styles are uncovered, it becomes more and more impossible to have your own style that is truly unique to yourself. Good techniques will find their ways into the hands of more than one artist, effects that are pleasant to the eye will happen on the canvas of more than one painter. The only thing you can really do is paint, sing and compose however you want, regardless of whether or not what you're doing has been done. I think Art isn't an exploration of the universe, its an exploration of ourselves.

I'm about to crash.. so if none of that makes any sense, please forgive me.

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana Flag
Re: music [Re: Jared]
    #2243545 - 01/15/04 10:33 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

im sorry to tell you this, but we've already reached the ceiling of music. it was reach long ago before time itself. all of what your doing has already been done before and your just re-realizing it. It's sort of like a collective-conscious thing.

After all, its like Einstein said "The key to creativity is hiding your sources"

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

Invisiblephreakyzen
My God is anAwesome God

Loc: Under the sea
    #2243687 - 01/15/04 11:38 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Oh course it's all been done before, does that mean you stop? Everything there is to say has been said also but we are not about to stop talking. It's about expressing something from within the best way you know how. Sculptors, painters, musicians and race car drivers are all trying to tell you something. If you understand what is being said then you have common ground. Some common ground exists within all of us. This common ground has to exist for the other person to understand.

Music has been around from the beginning of civilization and is ingrained in probably everybody. So what better way to communicate then with something everybody on this planet understands.

I do not think it matters how you say something. What matters is what you say and whether the right person understands you. Try not to focus on the music itself. What is beautiful and fulfilling is when one person can connect with you completely after hearing what you have to say.

But I am rambling and I am not sure if this means anything. Play music and have fun!

Offlineangryjslice
now with 20%more anger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #2244537 - 01/15/04 06:21 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

if youve gotten this far have you ever thought about creating your own instrument with its own unique scale system? i mean doesnt most music from india use quarter tones mainly...so it can be done. i challenge you to sit down and create your own music theory out of scratch just from frequencies, i mean you could have a sclae with 200 notes in it. imagine the chords! imagine the harmonics!!!! then try to implement it in an instrument of your own. use frequencies out of the human hearing range to have a more physical effect with your music.

you could say the english language is a dead end. but it doesnt mean people wont find amazing new ways of arranging the words in it.

~JSlice~

--------------------

Edited by angryjslice (01/15/04 06:23 PM)

OfflineYouEnjoyMyself
PHiSH

#2244978 - 01/15/04 10:48 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

that was interesting. i've always thought that it would be cool to make my own instrument and learn to play it but i dont have patience to do that.

--------------------
-Wash uffitze drive me to firenze

Invisibleknumb
skull
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: top, bottom, strange, cha...
Re: music [Re: angryjslice]
    #2245744 - 01/16/04 11:12 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

yeah ive made a few instruments
and plan on making more when i have time

(if thats something you are into, you should check out a guy called harry partch)

i think the octave has something to do with my problem.
i dont think anybody finds an octave interval to be dissonant
this isnt because of subtle cultural indoctrination, but because of science. if the note "A" is 440 vibrations per second, the the octave above this is 880 vps and the one below is 220 vps and so on...

humans can hear about 10 octaves but im willing to bet that if we could hear more its still going to sound like "A".

so really we only have about 1/10 of the variety we think we do.
but its still infinite (you say...)
infinite fractions of a vibration, infinite shapes of sound waves, infinite possibilities...

you can cut an apple into as many pieces as you want, but when you are done youre still only going to have one apple.
and its still going to taste just like an apple too.

its infinite possibilities inside a closed system.

but maybe it is a collective consciousness thing...

you know... when you are playing with other people (1 or 100) and everything makes sense and its like you can be inside the head of every single person there.

and when you stop playing everybody looks around and feels kinda wierd, like you all just had sex with eachother, and you didnt mean to but it happened anyway and it was fucking great, and maybe someone laughs nervously...

i know...

but what if its because tonal music is predictable and atonal music is predictably unpredictable.

so yeah i need to shut the fuck up and play music cause i like to do it.

trees with wings arent any more beautiful than trees without wings.

k

--------------------
----------------------------------------
we hope that you choke

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Scales

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media