Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: musical instrument repair column [Re: SillyWilly]
    #2672039 - 05/13/04 03:29 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

sillywilly, i will assume you mean an upright non-electric piano. since it is an upright, it will probably have a triple action lever, meaning 2 pivot points between the key and the hammer, make sure they are all free with a little wd-40. but, since you are saying that it does NOT stick when you hit it softly, i would guess that it is the felt piece that actually strikes the strings. if it is a key above first octave, it is actually hitting 3 strings that sound the note. after years of use, grooves can be worn too deep in the hammer felt, so it will stick between the strings and not want to release. take the front cover off the piano and strike the key to see if it is staying stuck to the strings and get back to me. if thats the problem, i will tell you how to re-felt a hammer for a piano.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: musical instrument repair column [Re: automan]
    #2672480 - 05/13/04 08:52 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

well damn huh..

I don't like this character :tongue:

eventually i may pay someone to strip the whole thing down and repaint it, how much does that usually cost, do you know? thanks.. well unless stripping it and such is an easy matter, but i doubt it is

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: musical instrument repair column [Re: vampirism]
    #2673497 - 05/13/04 02:27 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

actually, if its a laquer guitar, its pretty easy. you just need to tell exactly what it has on it in the way of woods, binding, ferrules, etc.

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2673686 - 05/13/04 03:30 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

hem.
im not exactly sure. its an ibanez ar250 if youve dealt with one, if not i only have what i found online on it:
* Mahogany / Flamed Maple Top body
* AR neck
* Medium frets
* Full Tune II bridge
* IBZ AH1 (H) neck pu
* IBZ AH2 (H) bridge pu
* Chrome hardware
( all specs.. but its flamed maple on the top of the guitar, where the crack is )

Binding - would this be something that runs along the whole edge of the top guitar? It has a white, plastic (?) thing like that

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#2675989 - 05/13/04 11:32 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

the reason i asked about the binding (yes, the plastic band that hides the wood seems on the edge) is that acetone will eat it, so if you decide to strip it, you should steer clear of it. sand off the laquer around the binding with 150 grit paper.

--------------------

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#2679653 - 05/14/04 09:07 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

ah, cool

so im also assuming that first it's painted with some sort of primer ( what kind would work best for this? *), and then the glossy lacquer (also, what kind of lacquer is best? *)? If i wanted to get an artistic design on, could it be made before applying the glossy lacquer? Would oil paint be ok for that?

*id want it to emphasize the beauty of the wood itself rather than coloring it very much

thanks

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

#2681174 - 05/15/04 04:31 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

if you are going to paint something artistic, you'll want to use polyuerethane because laquer will eat the paint. you will want to apply a wood stain to the maple and cover the mahoganywith wood filler, let it flash over, then wipe it off. that way the grain lines in the porous mahogany wont pit after laquering. for a job like this, spray can laquer from www.stewmac.com will work fine. check them out anyways, they sell good stuff.

--------------------

Invisibleeric_the_red
 User Gallery

Loc: happy land
    #2692983 - 05/17/04 09:33 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

hey, automan. :smile:

you know about the project i have in the works. i'm going to have to make a laminate neck, because 1" is the thickest mahogany i could get ahold of here. we have so much oak, walnut, maple, and other native wood here, that nobody is the slightest bit interested in importing other hardwoods. i just happened to find a place that had special ordered some mahogany for someone and they never picked it up.

here's my question for the day: what are your thoughts on using elmer's "carpenter's wood glue?" i'm not starting any gluing just yet. first, i have to go to my parent's house to use the shopsmith. i'm asking ahead of time, so that i can order some other glue if elmer's isn't worthy.

--------------------

Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: musical instrument repair column [Re: eric_the_red]
    #2694165 - 05/18/04 01:18 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

any good quality wood glue is fine. be sure that the wood is kiln dried first though. if it is still too wet, the woodglue wont hold because the moisture will break the bond. clamp every 3" maximum. or, even better, put it in a press overnight. also, be sure to run everything through a jointer before you do any of this. you need perfectly smooth sides.

Invisibleoneducktwoducks
Re: musical instrument repair column *DELETED* [Re: automan]
    #2705417 - 05/20/04 01:39 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by oneducktwoducks

Reason for deletion: .

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: musical instrument repair column [Re: oneducktwoducks]
    #2710932 - 05/21/04 02:00 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

scroll up a little. i answered that a while earlier.

OfflineSillyWilly
    #2713236 - 05/22/04 12:43 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the reply automan, sorry I didnt respond earlier...Ive been outta town. So I opened the piano to see what was goin on and evidentally the hammer stiking the key is fine....it returns back to its position and everything, however, there is a felt piece shaped like a triangle that is supposed to muffle the strings after so they wont continue to ring. FOr some reason, this piece just remains retracted and doesnt go back inbetween the 2 strings like it is supposed to. (The Key is the E flat below middle C by the way) Do you know what can be wrong?
Thanks a bunch, SillyWilly

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #2771527 - 06/07/04 01:46 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Hey automan, how's it going man? Listen, I have this really obscure situation I could use some help with.

I'm attempting to install a Fishman Acoustic "Rare Earth" pickup. In order to do so, it is required that I drill out the end pin for an input jack, which (obviously) has a wider diameter than the end pin did.

Now, my problem is.. the instructions tell you to use a 15/32" (11.9 mm) spade drill bit. I checked a few hardware stores/walmarts and didn't see this size anywhere. So I decided I would just order one from somewhere online.

So I come home and search for "15/32 spade bit" in google/yahoo, and EVERY ONE of the 6 results was from a site offering an installation guide for my pickup.

It's like they just made up the size or something.

Where the hell do I find these obscure tools and tool accessories in strange sizes?

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: musical instrument repair column [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2772620 - 06/07/04 07:58 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

www.stewmac.com

dont get the bit. if you dont have the speed correct, you will tear out some laquer. use a hand ream.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

#2772970 - 06/07/04 10:18 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Actually, I ended up just trying a half-inch spade bit and it did the job pretty well.

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
    #2873586 - 07/09/04 05:33 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

hey automan,
A friend of mine has a fender accoustic, squire I believe. Anyway, he left the thing in a moist hot shed for a while and the back of the bridge pulled up a bit and now the action is WAY off. Well, took the bridge off and I am kinda stuck on what the best way to get this thing back to normal. I sanded the bottom of the bridge and the surface of the body where the bridge goes and got the old adhesive off. The bridge seems to be flush with the body(w/o glue on ofcourse), and the wood doesnt seem to be warped beyond recognition(Ive seen worse). So what kind of adhesive will hold the bridge permanently? Any other tips I need to know will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!
-J

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Re: musical instrument repair column [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #2874498 - 07/09/04 11:33 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

after making sure the bridge and the top where you will glue are clean, take a yard stick or string and measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret. then, measure from the 12th fret to where the bridge will be. mark a line. thats the p-lace where you will line up the saddle. you will need 3 or 4 deep clamps. use any good wood glue. i like tightbond woodglue. apply excess to both the top and the bridge and put in place. use the deep C-clamps by putting through the soundhole. put a clamp in the middle of the bridge first. then put a clamp on each end of the bridge. make sure the saddle lines up with the mark you made so that it is equa-distant from the 12th fret in relation to the nut. clean all the excess glue pushed out from under the bridge during clamping. let it set for 24-48 hours in a relatively dry place out of the sun. thats it. not too hard at all :smile:

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

#2875568 - 07/10/04 10:16 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

automan said:
take a yard stick or string and measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret. then, measure from the 12th fret to where the bridge will be. mark a line. thats the p-lace where you will line up the saddle.

Exactly what nut are you talking about? Not quite sure what ya mean. Thanks
-J

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Re: musical instrument repair column [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #2875610 - 07/10/04 11:07 AM (16 years, 7 months ago)

He's referring to the small piece of plastic or bone that "supports" the tensioned portion of the string at the neck end of the guitar. It's located between the head and neck of the guitar.

InvisibleMadSeasonAbove
Reef Donkey
 User Gallery

#2875662 - 07/10/04 12:07 PM (16 years, 7 months ago)

^^oh ok, thanks. My guitar doesnt have one(not that I can see), but I believe the one I am repairing does(its not in front of me). I will post pictures of the guitar later.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media