Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Loc: North Carolina
beware the amanita muscaria
    #1845075 - 08/24/03 10:45 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Not too long ago I picked my billionth or so patch of Amanitas (musc. var. formosa) in the last few years and had a fair good time with this bunch of rag tag things- however- a warning! I went to a couple of different places than I usually do and picked on one occasion some specimens that were a bit smaller, but were otherwise the same. I usually don't give many out but do once in a blue whale and did to an older friend of mine. I happened to give the batch of smaller ones to the friend without a thought. Well- she gave them to someone else and they ended up having SERIOUS problems and ended up in the hospital overnight. Don't know what caused it. Could have been a reaction to their meds, or some kind of hybrid I have never encountered, but I have never felt so bad about anything. So beware- I am a relatively old hand at the picking of amanitas and I could have seriously shited up this persons life- be VERY CAREFUL. Pick only mature specimens. Check every shrooms as amanitas of the same desc. grow in the same two or three square feet- so just when you get a little slack- you will be put in your place by mother nature. Especially if you are hunting the yellow flys- be careful and try to keep your fellow man in consideration every day.

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: buddhathehut]
    #1845216 - 08/24/03 01:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

It is posible you picked a look a like mushroom or that you did not prepare it correctly. Next time I would appriciate it if you did not make the title of your post "beware the amanatia muscaria." I spend enough time tring to debunk rumors of how it's dangerously toxic and the only "trip" you'll get is to the hospital. It is an old revered entheogen and is relitively safe when prepared and used correctly. Thank you.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

OnlineMitchnast
Trial by Madness
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Mahjong

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: gdman]
    #1845345 - 08/24/03 02:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i dunno, ive tried it many times in many meathods often deeped proper.
i either get nothing or vomit

--------------------

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1845380 - 08/24/03 02:33 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The potency varies between times of the season and locations, the eastern european ones are supposed to be supirior.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.

OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Portland, OR
    #1845559 - 08/24/03 04:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

gdman420: which method do you use and always get good results?

Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #1846249 - 08/24/03 08:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know why it is that you would have such a hard time dealing with a warning about the use of a mushroom that comes from a species list as long as the damn Bible and that accounts for 90some percent of mushroom deaths- it may be possible that you missed the point of the post in order to keep yopur feers of some kind of "scare" at bay. I have no problem at all warning people- get real man. If people wanted to reecieve misinformation- I do not believe that my post would be where they would look first- or is it that you think that they will just read the title and not the post- that seems a bit odd to me but then again- I am a bit odd. PEACE. I'd rather people stay away then die of poison- wouldn't you?.....

--------------------
"If you do not want to go within, do you want to go out? But where will you go, since He ie everywhere in this universe, and surrounding this universe?" - Shrii Shrii Anandamurti

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #1846406 - 08/24/03 09:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I didn't say it always gives great results, I just said that wouldn't make you terribly sick if you prepared it right. It should be allowed to go through a vital chemical reaction before you eat it. Also, deaths from this mushroom are extreamly rare, I can think of two cases. One was a very small child, the other a man who ate way more than he should have. Amanitia Muscari is not a deadly mushroom, other Amanatia mushroms are, but not Muscaria.

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1846502 - 08/24/03 09:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

buddhathehut, the title on the original post is about Amanita muscaria, which is currently believed to have caused a grand total of two deaths in the US for as long as such records have been kept. The genus Amanita is certainly dangerous, and species such as Amanita virosa and Amanita phalloides are the ones responsible for the vast majority of mushroom poisoning fatalities.

I agree with your basic point, which is that a warning about Amanita muscaria is justifiable and a good thing. I just wanted to correct your statement with reference to Amanita muscaria, which actually almost never causes a life threatening poisoning.

gdman420, perhaps you have found a good way to prepare them so that you don't be come sick. If so, please share that knowledge with everyone. Amanita pantherina and Amanita muscaria are in 2nd and 3rd place only to Chlorophyllum molybdites in terms of how many emergency room visits they cause. From that hard statistic I think it's safe to conclude that eating them is something which should be approached with a great deal of caution if at all.

I know people who were shown by shamans in Kamchatka how to prepare them, did it the way they were taught, and reported that the experience was anything but pleasant.

If you have information that would help people experience them without the unpleasant side effects (or primary effects, according to the people I've spoken with), please spread that information.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

#1846512 - 08/24/03 10:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I was just reffering to the Amanita group as a whole as there are unknown hybrids, alk., and look alikes that are relatively unexplored that might fool a newbie- apparently it did me- the guy went to the hospital for problems with his internal organs and that sounds a hell of a lot like toxins were present. Sorry but I thought I'd better warn the people about my particular exp. I understand their importance as a healing to and a learning tool and I as myself would never do anything to jeaprodize that- but it should, I fell, be eenjoyed, and respected- part of that respect is derived from a healthy and honest fear that, if lacking oin the wrong zealous sort, can be a problem- either way right on for any shroomer doing what;s cool and what is important. Yes- A muscaria is one of the safest etheogens known to man- however- this does not make their identification easy.

--------------------

Offlinebuddhathehut
readingrainbows.......

#1846519 - 08/24/03 10:08 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

thank you for clarifying toxicman.

--------------------

OfflinenewAK
Loc: Alaska
    #1847317 - 08/25/03 03:31 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I did some Amanita Muscaria the night before last and the trip was good. A bit of nausea but a hit off a MJ made it go right away. I prepared the mushrooms by taking only the caps and removing the gills. Then I broke up the caps into 3-4inch pieces and placed them on a shallow pan. I set the oven to 200 and placed the pan on the middle rack. I kept the door ajar and turned the pieces every 30-60mins. It took about 5-6 hrs for them to get good and dry. I only used the very red variety of the Amanita Muscaria not any other colors (my own personal thing). This way to prepare them worked very well for me.

Offlinegreenvag
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #23728860 - 10/11/16 07:10 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

I have read many articles and am having a hard time understanding why people are eating these. Everything I have read says they should be sun dried, preferred  over oven( max 3 days for some reason never described, though sun drying is supposed to reduce the sick ingredient more as well as increase the good chemical 2 times.). Then it also says never eat the mushroom but make a tea in water about 190 F. I suspect I have a few and am wanting to see what they are about. but am interested in experienced opinions.

Edited by greenvag (10/11/16 07:13 PM)

Offlineoxygen
Stranger
 User Gallery

#23728935 - 10/11/16 07:34 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

You should beware of ANY mushroom you plan on eating, no matter what it is, how familiar with it you are. Complacency is what results in accidents.

Invisibledoctorghosty
dreamcrusher
Male User Gallery

Loc: North GA, God's fav
Trusted Identifier
Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: oxygen]
    #23728942 - 10/11/16 07:36 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

They taste great cooked but even prepared correctly the effects are undesirable in my opinion

Offlinedeucedbi9
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: UK
Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: doctorghosty]
    #23729148 - 10/11/16 08:51 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Quote:

doctorghosty said:
They taste great cooked but even prepared correctly the effects are undesirable in my opinion

I've never found them myself but I would like to try them, more for the medicinal and gastronomic reasons,  outlined below, than to get 'shit-faced' on.
I've posted this many times.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/9205906#9205906

"Beware of what you read from the "authorities" on the effects of this mushroom. An absolutely INCREDIBLE amount of misinformation has been printed about Amanita muscaria, and I probably know as much about its medicinal effects as anyone in the country.

Once you have your mushrooms, you need to think about preservation. The traditional way to do this is the one you should avoid, namely drying. It gives the mushrooms a bitter, metallic taste and makes them rather nauseating. You can keep them in the fridge a few days wrapped in paper towels provided you cut off the usually maggot-containing stalk. You can mince the shrooms with garlic and pickle in vinegar and salt, preserved in the fridge (a spoonful or so is great in a salad dressing). To keep longer, dip the mushrooms in brandy (or rum, or whatever spirit you like...) and freeze them. You must include a preservative when freezing or the mushrooms will spoil even while frozen. You can also sauté the mushrooms in olive oil or butter and freeze cooked, if you want to avoid alcohol"

HerbBaker hasn't posted in a while. Hope he's ok.

--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in

Offlinetarlin
Beginner Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA Flag
Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: deucedbi9]
    #23729191 - 10/11/16 09:02 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

https://erowid.org/plants/amanitas/references/journal/1979_mochtar_afghanistan1.shtml#19

Another great read of very well refenced information. Historical uses, research, background, accounts of effects... All discuss an overwhelmingly agreeable experience.

Offlineoxygen
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: deucedbi9]
    #23729194 - 10/11/16 09:04 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Quote:

deucedbi9 said:
HerbBaker hasn't posted in a while. Hope he's ok.

That almost makes everything you said sound like sarcasm.

InvisibleSpellbound
PegasusTheFlyingHorse
Female User Gallery

Loc: England Flag
Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: oxygen]
    #23729219 - 10/11/16 09:13 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Hmm, well all i can add is that i have tried them a few times so far, the last two times i had 20grams, i DO NOT advise anyone eats this amount, i built up gradually to see the effects, my first try was 3.5g and had no noticeable effect, they are obviously thoroughly dried, i then make a tea with them.

Eating them dry and not as tea gave me muscle spasms which i didnt enjoy, making tea avoids this for me.

Either way, ive never experienced any sickness or nausea from muscaria.

The effects are, well, it makes you sleepy and almost delirious in a sense, dept on dosage, i felt like id slipped into a dream state then back awake a few times through the evening.
You can accidently sleep through muscaria also.

I also read using muscaria as a micro dose can bring about great results, but i havent tried it as yet.
I plan a few other things id like to try with this mushroom. Micro dosing and trying a low dose with psilocybe mushrooms in the future too.

Always make aure theyve been dried well, and use with care :thumbup:

--------------------
I'm no cactus expert - But I know a prick when I see one!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason, is like administering medicine to the dead!
The trick is to be yourself, in a world trying to make you like everyone else.

InvisibleRan-D
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: Spellbound] * 1
    #23729776 - 10/12/16 12:38 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

I think the important lesson here is to not consume mushrooms picked by other people who aren't experts.

InvisibleSpellbound
PegasusTheFlyingHorse
Female User Gallery

Loc: England Flag
Re: beware the amanita muscaria [Re: Ran-D]
    #23729798 - 10/12/16 12:42 AM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Agreed :thumbup:

--------------------
I'm no cactus expert - But I know a prick when I see one!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason, is like administering medicine to the dead!
The trick is to be yourself, in a world trying to make you like everyone else.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification