Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Where does Amanita Muscaria grow? [Re: ATLien]
    #1395849 - 03/20/03 03:35 PM (21 years, 4 days ago)

It's probably worth noting that if I saw a mushroom that looked like that at a distance (smooth red cap and white stem) I would say that the odds are that it's a red Russula. So if you're not familiar with those then you should probably read up on them. None of them are active, some are edible, and some are poisonous. They are very difficult to identify accurately to species.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleno-tone
Enema Bag Jones

Loc: Warm, Moist and Dark
Re: Where does Amanita Muscaria grow? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1396717 - 03/21/03 12:46 AM (21 years, 4 days ago)

I have never seen A. muscaria var. muscaria (red cap) here. Up here we only get the var. formosa (yellow-orange).

I thought var muscaria were mostly in Europe.

You may be looking for the wrong colour cap. Be careful though, it can be confused with 'yellow patches' and 'blushing amanita' (both of these are inedible/poisonous)

Yeah, I found a A. muscaria last year that had a cap diameter of ~1 ft. They usually are big mushrooms as opposed to the yellow patches which is smaller.

Also, be careful when you are identifying species. You want fresh specimens. Often with age, their colours fade or they change in some way to make it difficult to i.d.

--------------------
Man thinks. God laughs. - Jewish Proverb

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Where does Amanita Muscaria grow? [Re: no-tone]
    #1396949 - 03/21/03 02:45 AM (21 years, 3 days ago)

Here in Colorado the varieties muscaria and flavivolvata are by far the more common kinds. And they are very common here. In an average year you could pick them by the bushel. We do also have variety formosa, but it is relatively rare.

Amanita flavoconia is not recorded from Colorado, and Amanita rubescens is fairly rare. On the other hand, Amanita pantherina is very common and it is frequently mistaken for Amanita muscaria var. formosa. There are also a couple unnamed species which Dr. Tulloss is working on which could be mistaken for a formosa.

My comment was only to the effect that a smooth, red-capped mushroom with a white stem on the ground under trees is probably more likely to be a Russula than an Amanita with the warts washed off. Once you get anywhere near them the differences are obvious. Here, by the time they're old enough to wash the warts off Amanitas are generally faded in color and aren't so nicely red.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In fungi, there isn't really such thing as a full set. Its more just like enuf to fruit. Its unlike humans in that it can have more than just 2 sets of genetic info (for example, 3 or 4).

You're correct. I did state that I was giving the simplified version. The difference I was referring to was the difference between the anamorph and teleomorph.

If you have mycelium formed by one spore it is called haploid (half needed for meiosis) uninucleate (one nucleus per cell).

Moulds are of the Phylum Zygomycota.

Moulds, according to Dr. Kendrick, are usually zygomycetes or hyphomycetes. He specifically includes the anamorphs of dikaryomycetes as moulds. While the anamorphs of basidiomycetes (such as Amanita) are usually monokaryotic, they can remain in an anamorphic state while dikaryotic. I'll admit that I generally think of the anamorphs as being monokaryotic, even though this is incorrect.

Moulds are capable of sexual reproduction, just as almost every fungi is (the one exception I know of is the leaf-cutter's cultivated species, and then who knows?).

That's one of the main characters of fungi, the ability to repruduce by fragmentation, budding or sexually.

The zygomycetes certainly reproduce in those ways. But the anamorphs of dikaryomycetes reproduce only asexually. They require a second nucleus to enter their dikaryophase and form a teleomorph. This was the main thing I was attempting to convey, albeit imprecisely.

To confuse things even more, the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature allows different binomials for the anamorph and teleomorph of the same organism.

I think the main problem is that I was using an over-simplified description of a fairly technical topic. But thank you for catching it.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleMagicRooms
Hunter & Collector
Male

Loc: Australia
    #1400103 - 03/22/03 07:33 AM (21 years, 2 days ago)

I find Amanita Muscaria under introduced pine trees all around Australia.
Here is a find near Sydney Australia.

Good Luck Hunting

Offlinedogwithcat
Shroom man
Re: Where does Amanita Muscaria grow? [Re: MagicRooms]
    #1450534 - 04/11/03 05:34 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

How do u prepare them to eat, the same way as normal shrooms?

--------------------
I luv mush, U luv mush, we all luv mush today, with a great big crunch we eat them all up and begin the trip just like yesterday.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Where does Amanita Muscaria grow? [Re: dogwithcat]
    #1450624 - 04/11/03 06:24 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Dress them up AND GIVE THEM A KNIFE AND A FORK AND A PIECE OF WHITE MEAT, hUMAN MEAT THEY REALLY LOVE.

MJ

Offlinecrazysquirrel
Stranger

#15879512 - 02/29/12 02:08 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

I think i jus found two caps...lots of longleaf pine here... had a question ...i know that psilocybin shrooms can't be smoked.. was wonderin when these amanita caps are dry...if smoking is useless?

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Where does Amanita Muscaria grow? [Re: crazysquirrel]
    #15879932 - 02/29/12 06:32 AM (12 years, 21 days ago)

The last reply to this thread was almost 9 years ago. Are you serious right now?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies