Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJoshuasca
Male

Genetically engineering psychedelic plants?
    #17453692 - 12/27/12 12:52 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Can we do it? Can we engineer a plant to produce LSD? Maybe not, but we could start an evolutionary trend, so thousands of years from now it happens.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: Joshuasca]
    #17453761 - 12/27/12 01:17 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Lots of plants have natural hallucinogens already present.

Salvia
HBWR
Marigold
Some strains of weed

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #17453767 - 12/27/12 01:20 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I'm sure its a pretty long list, that was just off the top of my head. I believe that ergot has components similar to LSD.

InvisibleCavemen

Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #17453785 - 12/27/12 01:25 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I think we have a better chance at finding new, undiscovered psychedelic plants. Not necessarily containing LSD

Edited by Cavemen (12/27/12 01:30 AM)

Offlinesearching
Male User Gallery

Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: Cavemen]
    #17453846 - 12/27/12 01:50 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

God that would be awesome. Could you imagine some genetically engineered ergo that creates Lsd? One dried gram of ergot mushroom could contain enough les to dose a city lol

--------------------

Offlinememro
Stranger

Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: searching]
    #17454623 - 12/27/12 09:17 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

The gene(s) responsible for synthesising LSD are of a fungal origin and trying to engineer this into a plant would probably not be feasible with current technology.  Engineering it into a different species of fungus would again be very difficult, but more feasible.

Getting a DMT containing plant for example to produce more DMT by inserting a promoter in front of the gene would be much easier

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: memro]
    #17454709 - 12/27/12 09:52 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

LSD no... But natural compounds yes I would think
LSA yes
DMT yes
Mescaline possible I think

Plants grow slow... Not efficient... Fungus or bacteria though....

Could use a yeast and a RV vector, insert gene.... Grow (brew)... Express/produce... Harvest
Welcome to the world of recombinant DNA.... If you can do this with insulin in 1970's, don't see why you couldn't do it now with DMT type genes...

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: Cavemen]
    #17454795 - 12/27/12 10:17 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Cavemen said:
I think we have a better chance at finding new, undiscovered psychedelic plants. Not necessarily containing LSD

This.

I was just reading the other day about a fish that causes hallucinations when eaten

Offlinegratefulguru
Daydreamer
Male

Loc: under the stars
Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: P-O]
    #17455004 - 12/27/12 11:16 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

PostiveOutlook said:

I was just reading the other day about a fish that causes hallucinations when eaten

I always did like fish

--------------------
1589 days and now I'm free at last!!!!!:trippinbawelz:

Offlinewire5
Hippie Born too Late
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rollin' on the River
Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: HarryL]
    #17455243 - 12/27/12 12:08 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

HarryL said:
LSD no... But natural compounds yes I would think
LSA yes
DMT yes
Mescaline possible I think

Plants grow slow... Not efficient... Fungus or bacteria though....

Could use a yeast and a RV vector, insert gene.... Grow (brew)... Express/produce... Harvest
Welcome to the world of recombinant DNA.... If you can do this with insulin in 1970's, don't see why you couldn't do it now with DMT type genes...

You're on the right track, however Yeast would make a terrible vector. But yes we (relatively) easily could get a bacteria to start producing DMT, mesc, LSA; hell even CBD/CBN/THC would be equally feasible. We could also use almost the same process (with a virus instead) to get already existing plants to produce these chemicals. Imagine growing tomatoes that get you high like you just ate a pot brownie, or corn that doses you up with DMT and LSA. Actually with some expensive equipment you could do it in your own home!

The later option would be easier to fine tune. Simply take the section of DNA responsible for producing DMT (we'll use this as an example but any chemical could be substituted) and isolate it. Once isolated you expose it to a type of virus that infects the plant you want to grow, lets use corn.

Naturally Virus DNA will simply tell the host cells to produce more viruses; this is achieved by "adding" their DNA to the host cell. Now if their DNA has been infused with mimosa DNA (to produce DMT) it will also add the mimosa DNA. So now the corn is being told to make more viruses AND DMT. Now simply kill off the virus and you're left with corn that just produces DMT. This will not be passed down from generation to generation, so each new crop would need to be "infected."

This is actually the method they use to produce any genetically engineered vegetable, and most of our food that we eat has been treated in this manner.

OfflineJoshuasca
Male

Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: wire5]
    #17455415 - 12/27/12 12:43 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

What if we lived in a world where all food got you high? What if...

--------------------

OfflineJoshuasca
Male

#17455421 - 12/27/12 12:44 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

But I guess if everything you ate made you high, you'd be high all the time, and your high state would be your normal state and then you wouldn't feel high anymore because you'd be used to it. Hmmm. Maybe that's what it used to be like?

--------------------

Offline420milehigh
shaman

Loc: third eye
    #17455455 - 12/27/12 12:56 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

GMO anything is absolutely horrendous, here is a link that'll explain it in depth...
http://www.naturalnews.com/028245_GM_food_side_effects.html

--------------------
All posts are entirely, 100%, conclusively false or complete works of fiction... but I can levitate lol

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Benjamin Franklin

if I owe you seeds from a previous trade send me a PM, I will rectify my shortcomings and compensate you for your patience

Offlinewire5
Hippie Born too Late
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rollin' on the River
Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: 420milehigh]
    #17455519 - 12/27/12 01:10 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

420milehigh said:
GMO anything is absolutely horrendous, here is a link that'll explain it in depth...

I beg to differ MOST GM foods have not been linked to any kind of health issues. Yes, some can, but most don't. Its like if I genetically modify corn to produce cyanide of course its going to be damaging. However if you engineer apples to make more pectin it will be just fine, and no different then adding pectin later (which we often do anyway).

Also your "article" isn't a sound counter point, as the source it sites has nothing to do with genetic anything, and instead offers links to "3 part chakra tests" and "2013 Horoscopes." I can hardly find your articles source to be credible.

Offline420milehigh
shaman

#17455546 - 12/27/12 01:18 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wire5 said:
Quote:

420milehigh said:

I beg to differ MOST GM foods have not been linked to any kind of health issues. Yes, some can, but most don't. Its like if I genetically modify corn to produce cyanide of course its going to be damaging. However if you engineer apples to make more pectin it will be just fine, and no different then adding pectin later (which we often do anyway).

Also your "article" isn't a sound counter point, as the source it sites has nothing to do with genetic anything, and instead offers links to "3 part chakra tests" and "2013 Horoscopes." I can hardly find your articles source to be credible.

tumors growing on rats that are fed GMO food...
http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_GMO_study_cancer_tumors_organ_damage.html
http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/topics/technology-and-supply-chain/monsanto-weedkiller-and-gm-maize-in-shocking-cancer-study/232603.article

here is an article from the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM)
http://www.responsibletechnology.org/gmo-dangers

--------------------
All posts are entirely, 100%, conclusively false or complete works of fiction... but I can levitate lol

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Benjamin Franklin

if I owe you seeds from a previous trade send me a PM, I will rectify my shortcomings and compensate you for your patience

OfflineDR. BADNEWS
Professional

#17455554 - 12/27/12 01:20 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

wire5 said:
You're on the right track, however Yeast would make a terrible vector. But yes we (relatively) easily could get a bacteria to start producing DMT, mesc, LSA; hell even CBD/CBN/THC would be equally feasible. We could also use almost the same process (with a virus instead) to get already existing plants to produce these chemicals. Imagine growing tomatoes that get you high like you just ate a pot brownie, or corn that doses you up with DMT and LSA. Actually with some expensive equipment you could do it in your own home!

The later option would be easier to fine tune. Simply take the section of DNA responsible for producing DMT (we'll use this as an example but any chemical could be substituted) and isolate it. Once isolated you expose it to a type of virus that infects the plant you want to grow, lets use corn.

Naturally Virus DNA will simply tell the host cells to produce more viruses; this is achieved by "adding" their DNA to the host cell. Now if their DNA has been infused with mimosa DNA (to produce DMT) it will also add the mimosa DNA. So now the corn is being told to make more viruses AND DMT. Now simply kill off the virus and you're left with corn that just produces DMT. This will not be passed down from generation to generation, so each new crop would need to be "infected."

This is actually the method they use to produce any genetically engineered vegetable, and most of our food that we eat has been treated in this manner.

Why the fuck hasn't any one done this yet!?

--------------------
Drugs to do:
Marijuana, LSD, LSA, ALD-52, AL-LAD, Ibogaine, DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, 5-MeO-DiPT, DiPT, Psilocybin/Psilocin, 4-AcO-DMT, 4-HO-DET, Ketamine, MXE, PCP, DXM, Amphetamine, Methamphetamine, MDMA, MDA,  Mescaline, Escaline, Proscaline, Allylescaline, TMA, 2C-i, 2C-b, 2C-c, 2C-d, 2C-e, 2C-g, 2C-h, 2C-n, 2C-p, 2C-t-2, 2C-t-4, 2C-t-7, 2C-t-21, 3C-e, 3C-p, DOI, DOB, DOC, DOM, 25i-nBOMe, 25b-nBOMe, 25c-nBOMe, 25d-nBOMe, 25g-nBOMe, 25h-nBOMe, 25n-nBOMe, 25iP-nBOMe, Cocaine, Heroin, Morphine, Codeine, Methadone, Oxycodone/Oxymorphone, Hydrocodone/Hydromorphone, Suboxone, Fentanyl, Alprazolam, Clonazepam, Diazepam, Temazepam, Phenazepam, Midazolam, Etizolam

Edited by DR. BADNEWS (12/27/12 01:32 PM)

InvisibleprettyMushy
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: DR. BADNEWS]
    #17455583 - 12/27/12 01:29 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

what! i want an LSD vine, that grows LSD grapes, then you can choose how many hits you want by eating more grapes!! yummy

--------------------
Anything posted from this account is made up for the entertainment of others, this account is a complete work of fiction. Its not illegal to get bored and make up stories, authors do it all the time.

OfflineDR. BADNEWS
Professional

Re: Genetically engineering psychedelic plants? [Re: prettyMushy]
    #17455600 - 12/27/12 01:34 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

prettyMushy said:
what! i want an LSD vine, that grows LSD grapes, then you can choose how many hits you want by eating more grapes!! yummy

I believe you have to choose an alkaloid produced in nature. LSD is fully sunthesized. It's not found anywhere in the known natural world. LSA is a precursor to LSD, and it's found in ergot and various seeds. So you could make LSA grapes. But whos to say there will be enough LSA in the grapes to trip off of.

--------------------
Drugs to do:
Marijuana, LSD, LSA, ALD-52, AL-LAD, Ibogaine, DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, 5-MeO-DiPT, DiPT, Psilocybin/Psilocin, 4-AcO-DMT, 4-HO-DET, Ketamine, MXE, PCP, DXM, Amphetamine, Methamphetamine, MDMA, MDA,  Mescaline, Escaline, Proscaline, Allylescaline, TMA, 2C-i, 2C-b, 2C-c, 2C-d, 2C-e, 2C-g, 2C-h, 2C-n, 2C-p, 2C-t-2, 2C-t-4, 2C-t-7, 2C-t-21, 3C-e, 3C-p, DOI, DOB, DOC, DOM, 25i-nBOMe, 25b-nBOMe, 25c-nBOMe, 25d-nBOMe, 25g-nBOMe, 25h-nBOMe, 25n-nBOMe, 25iP-nBOMe, Cocaine, Heroin, Morphine, Codeine, Methadone, Oxycodone/Oxymorphone, Hydrocodone/Hydromorphone, Suboxone, Fentanyl, Alprazolam, Clonazepam, Diazepam, Temazepam, Phenazepam, Midazolam, Etizolam

Offline420milehigh
shaman

#17455601 - 12/27/12 01:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

:blowmybrainsout: I'm done trying to help people.... nobody wants to listen so go ahead and sterilize yourself and get cancer, I won't feel bad for you

--------------------

OfflineHarryL
Squnä'am
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington State
    #17455646 - 12/27/12 01:48 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Don't believe everything you read on some website... Or some rabid emotionally charge propaganda... Am sure for every 'this is the worse thing in thw world' website, I can show you research that will say, not really.

People will believe what they will... Bless them. Everyone has options, some based in fact and some based in fear... 

There is very little danger in any GMO other than basic ignorance of people...
We use them in research every single day... And those rats you are saying got tumors were genetically modified... GMO food is safe, as determined by WHO and FDA.. And please, don't wanna hear conspiracy theories...

Inserting a gene or modifying DNA is not hard... Been done since the 1970s... Changing food to grow better or in areas that wouldn't grow it before, can save lives...

Try looking at it objectively... Not emotionally.  Science is not your enemy... Come to the dark side (kidding!)

Yeast is actually used by some of the larger biotech companies to do just this... Well, produce drugs... again, how we get human insulin....

--------------------
Mushroom hunting:  One bad mushroom can ruin your day! Know it or throw it.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder