Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Re: Meaning is delusional [Re: Poid]
    #13498145 -

Poid said:
I AM SWIM said:
Poid said:
Delusions are fixed false beliefs, and they are not relative to society at large's unique symbols; they are only relative to the truth.



LOL

what truth?


Really, any truth--delusions are, by definition, false beliefs, regardless of which axioms they are based on; they are, by nature, inconsistent, and irrational:





I'm not talking about truth-delusions.

I'm talking about the truth when you said:

Poid said:
Delusions are fixed false beliefs, and they are not relative to society at large's unique symbols; they are only relative to the truth.



How are false beliefs not relative to societies application of meaning to symbols?

If you think 'meaning is delusional' then you would have to agree that the meaning society applies to symbols are delusional as well.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meaning is delusional [Re: I AM SWIM]
    #13498925 -

Poid's big mistake here is that meaning has two uses. Flavor one is the subjective/personal/individual meaning. This type of meaning has no objective truth value to be compared to. Flavor two is known as objective meaning, such as an apple being red or grass being green. The essential difference to notice is that the universe has plenty of facts in it but it has not assigned any sort of subjective meaning to them.

Compare these statements.

1. "This apple is red"

This statement is about a 'fact' which is what Poid correctly asserts as having true meaning, in an objective sense.

While facts do have meaning they have meaning in a different way than some sort of individual response to a picture like 'Starry Night'

Now look at this statement...

"Starry Night is my favorite picture."

This statement makes a claim about personal meaning, not about an objective factoid in reality. This claim about meaning is something purely subjective and therefor cannot be compared to any objective truth. This is because no objective truth exists about the beauty of the painting 'Starry Night'.

Conclusion, since subjective meaning happens only to the individual it cannot be compared to some other meaning and found to be delusional or false.


--------------------
"Life sucks but in this really beautiful way" - Axl Rose
"Life's a bitch and then you die that's why we get high cuz you never know when you're gonna go." - NAS
"When people don't know what you're about they put you down and shut you out" - Black Sabbath
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi
"Look up at me I am God, look down on me and I am evil, look at me I am you." - Charles Manson.
"Don't question my reality." - Me (as far as I know)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meaning is delusional [Re: I AM SWIM]
    #13536640 -

I AM SWIM said:
Poid said:
I AM SWIM said:
Poid said:
Delusions are fixed false beliefs, and they are not relative to society at large's unique symbols; they are only relative to the truth.



LOL

what truth?


Really, any truth--delusions are, by definition, false beliefs, regardless of which axioms they are based on; they are, by nature, inconsistent, and irrational:





I'm not talking about truth-delusions.

I'm talking about the truth when you said:

Poid said:
Delusions are fixed false beliefs, and they are not relative to society at large's unique symbols; they are only relative to the truth.



How are false beliefs not relative to societies application of meaning to symbols?

If you think 'meaning is delusional' then you would have to agree that the meaning society applies to symbols are delusional as well.





?????????


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meaning is delusional [Re: I AM SWIM]
    #13536658 -

I AM SWIM said:
Poid said:
I AM SWIM said:
Poid said:
Delusions are fixed false beliefs, and they are not relative to society at large's unique symbols; they are only relative to the truth.



LOL

what truth?


Really, any truth--delusions are, by definition, false beliefs, regardless of which axioms they are based on; they are, by nature, inconsistent, and irrational:





I'm not talking about truth-delusions.


WTF is a "truth-delusion"? :undecided:


I AM SWIM said:
I'm talking about the truth when you said:

Poid said:
Delusions are fixed false beliefs, and they are not relative to society at large's unique symbols; they are only relative to the truth.



How are false beliefs not relative to societies application of meaning to symbols?


What I meant to say is that they're not only relative to society's symbols.


I AM SWIM said:
If you think 'meaning is delusional' then you would have to agree that the meaning society applies to symbols are delusional as well.


Yes, you're finally learning. :mypleasure:


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meaning is delusional [Re: Poid]
    #13536684 -

Or are you finally learning that there are agreements within disagreements?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meaning is delusional [Re: I AM SWIM]
    #13536689 -

What's that supposed to mean?


--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Meaning is delusional [Re: Poid]
    #13536704 -

it means that.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* What does it all mean? Chikhai 1,865 17 07/26/02 07:42 PM
by whiterastahippie
* Shrooms: Divine Insight or Delusions of Grandeur?
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Sclorch 10,476 86 04/29/03 04:04 AM
by Shroomism
* Happiness Delusion? Depression Sane?
( 1 2 all )
DoctorJ 3,327 23 11/15/03 02:18 AM
by jiva
* Matrix Reloaded True Meaning/ Transcript of Neo/Architect
( 1 2 3 all )
HagbardCeline 7,819 45 04/17/12 12:47 AM
by Buster_Brown
* What Pragmatism Means RebelSteve33 1,025 5 02/21/03 12:05 AM
by Nomad
* What is the Meaning of Life?
( 1 2 all )
SafeHaven 3,015 22 11/26/02 08:23 PM
by 3eyedgod
* objective reality does not exist
( 1 2 all )
monoamine 6,640 34 11/01/02 08:55 AM
by Newbie2000
* ROTA Meaning of Grand Sextile Conjunction 2003/11/08 Annapurna1 1,141 12 11/05/03 07:33 PM
by ZippoZ

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
4,910 topic views. 0 members, 2 guests and 31 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 17 queries.