Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me
    #1159688 -

I understand "shock value" and peer pressure or wanting to belong in a tribal sense, but there has to be more to it than that. Help me to comprehend this explosion of self expression in this particular medium.


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Swami]
    #1159716 -

I was watching my geese this morning, trying to herd some back into a safer scene. It really got me thinking about the herd mentality as I watched one particularly paranoid one lead the others away from the gate/food/safety and just because that one kept leading the others would just follow blindly......

I think it's as simple as what you already mentioned "shock value" and peer pressure or wanting to belong in a tribal sense but that just makes such an supposedly individual thing so pradoxical.....


--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Swami]
    #1159733 -

People get tattooed and pierced for a variety of reasons. Some people do it just to be "cool".. for others it may have a deeper spiritual significance. Some people get tattooed to mark a time in their life they want to remember, that reflects what they were going through and feeling. Others have tattoos of their spirit animals, some get tattoos because of their beliefs...some people get tattooed just for the pretty colors and designs... there's hundreds of different reasons why people get tattooed...for me personally my tattoos have a deep meaning to them, that represent the duality of man, and my obsession with sacred geometry... along with pretty colors and designs that are fun to look at.  I see it this way: The body is a temple, so I'm going to decorate it :smile:
 


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Swami]
    #1159736 -

Here are my reasons for my piercings and tattoo:

1.  They are a statement of my independence from parental control

2.  They hurt!  This is a reason because:

    a.  Me likes pain!  :laugh:  Me thinks that some good ol' self-inflicted pain is good for the body every now and then, and tattoos and piercings are a more socially acceptable manner of hurting oneself than, say, slashing one's arms with a razor blade!

    b.  I think it says something for my inner strength... The fact that I chose to have the pain inflicted upon me and I "took it like I man," as some might say. :smile:

3.  They look nice.

4.  They are a form of expression.  I feel that my tattoo, especially, expresses a little bit of my inner soul on the outside of my body.  It is art.

5.  There are sooooo many people on this planet with the same old faces and features.  I feel like my specific piercings and tattoo make me stand out as more of an individual in this world.

6.  Why not?  :grin: 

I think that's all!

-RebelSteve 


--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1159740 -

Hey steve look a good excuse to post tattoo pics







--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Shroomism]
    #1159754 -

Work on your posture bro. :smirk: That "swayback" thang will give you complications as you age.

Your chest tatoo is cool. The others need a closeup to show detail. 


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Swami]
    #1159760 -

Ahh my poor aching back  :crazy:

Yeah i can post some detail shots later. 


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Swami]
    #1159762 -

Oh you'll love this one Swami... the chest tattoo is a crop circle.... it symbolizes the eternal connection between god, man, and earth. Or body, mind and soul whichever you prefer.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Shroomism]
    #1159767 -

Jesus, Shroomism!  How many times do I have to look at your naked torso in one day?! :wink:

Swami is right, BTW. You need to work on your posture!  Try some yoga... It can really work wonders!

Anyway... Oh yeah!  Shameless tattoo showing:  :laugh:

 


--------------------
Namaste.

Edited by RebelSteve33 (12/21/02 07:15 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1159773 -

Yeah I've been meaning to start doing some yoga postures daily.. slouching no good.

That's a spirit animal if I've ever seen one..


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Shroomism]
    #1159774 -

Oh you'll love this one Swami... the chest tattoo is a crop circle....

I would have been more impressed if you had a really hairy chest and woke one day with the hairs "bent, but not broken" and tramped down in a swirling geometric pattern.

You could have been the first with a "chest circle". LOL!


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1159779 -

I must be hallucinating. I checked out your eagle and two minutes later, it was twice the size. Most impressive.


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Swami]
    #1159783 -

LOL!  :grin: :wink:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Swami]
    #1159784 -

LOL times 2 4 U, Swami!  :grin:


--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Swami]
    #1159790 -

Now as far as piercings, I am unclear as I don't have any myself. I once did, but I took them out. Lots of tribes do piercings as an initiation of sorts or for whatever other reasons that I don't know about. In western society, piercings probably lean more towards the "wanting to be cool" than "spiritually signicant"..IMO...
Perhaps someone else can explain piercings...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Swami]
    #1159798 -

ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego ego.


--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Shroomism]
    #1159803 -

I know that I have made many outrageous (but true) claims here about being the first "this" and the first "that", but here is yet another:

I had one ear pierced back in '68, way before it was cool. The fact that it was the result of a fishing accident when my brother hooked me shouldn't diminish my accord as a trailblazer.


--------------------



The proof is in the pudding.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Strumpling]
    #1159804 -

What's so wrong with the ego?


--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Shroomism]
    #1159817 -

The first piercing I got was my tongue.  I had it done shortly after I turned 18, and it was mainly a way of saying "Fuck you, Mom and Dad!  I am 18 now and can do what I want with my body."  There is also a certain amount of significance to me in the fact that I have my tongue pierced and I refrain from eating certain foods.

The next piercing I got was my cartilage... It wasn't necessarily to "be cool," but simply just because I wanted it and I thought it would look nice. 

The last piercing I got was my tragus... That thick little pointy part of your ear that sticks out right by the hole to your ear canal.  The main reason for this one was that I heard it is the second most painful piercing you can get, next to the nipples.  And I have weird, unpiercable nipples, so I opted for the tragus.  Plus I think it looks nice, too :smile:

Do we really have to have reasons for what we do to our bodies besides "I wanted to," though?  :confused:

-RebelSteve


--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Someone Explain Piercings & Tattoos to me [Re: Swami]
    #1160326 -

ITS MY HOUSE AND I'LL PAINT IT ANY COLOR I WANT!!!!  :cool:


--------------------
================================================So what's your peace of mind huh? A swiss watch? leasin' a Lex on credit? all the pussy and liquor a nigga can get..put together this puzzle, but my pieces won't fit.. {Ras kass}

Edited by FatNug (12/21/02 12:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Heaven & Hell
( 1 2 3 all )
spooky123 3,783 50 08/31/04 07:31 PM
by kaiowas
* Questions & Answers
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Lord_of_Fungus 11,282 78 03/19/04 06:26 PM
by SkorpivoMusterion
* weird/cant explain when goin to bed.
( 1 2 all )
shr00m 1,990 23 06/06/03 06:24 AM
by RiderGZ
* Cast no illusions for I shall pierce them with truth
( 1 2 all )
whiterasta 2,028 34 01/20/05 01:28 AM
by Dutch_Mushrooms
* Non-Violence explained (by my all time hero!)...
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Shroomalicious 12,258 107 05/03/10 01:26 AM
by Withinity
* Illogical & Unanswerable Questions
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Swami 9,675 101 02/07/04 04:13 PM
by fireworks_god
* Who here meditates?,how long?,& with or without substances?
( 1 2 3 all )
bandaid 5,392 40 07/18/04 01:41 PM
by redgreenvines
* cats & meditating
( 1 2 all )
Jenny 2,915 32 02/15/04 08:02 PM
by Jenny

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
3,580 topic views. 0 members, 14 guests and 6 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 18 queries.