Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineStarspawn
NotGoodJustLucky
Loc: ShowMeState
Air exchange for honey water?
    #807492 - 08/09/02 05:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Does honey water need air exchange?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemickey_rourke
Illegal Smile
Loc: Playa del Carmen
Re: Air exchange for honey water? [Re: Starspawn]
    #807554 - 08/09/02 05:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

First, use dextrose and not honey water. Second, use some polyfill in the lid for air exchange.

--------------------
"I tried to put it all behind me, but my redneck past is nipping at my heels.." -- Ben Folds Five

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Air exchange for honey water? [Re: Starspawn]
    #848719 - 08/28/02 09:40 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

gas exchange in honey water is done the same way it happens in a fish tank. in practice, the air in the half of the jar that is not full of honey water should be sufficient to obtain useable licuid innoculant.

if you are trying to grow out licuid innoculant for commercial production, then gas exchange is needed. fungi perfecti is a source for this apparatus. do you really need that much? take a look at your cost per innoculation. if you are innoculating like a hundred trays per week, then you need all the extra crap. if you are knocking up a hundred jars per month or less, then a simple jar is good nuf. honey works just fine, in fact, it contains natural antibiotics produced by the bees to help reduce contams. honey allready contains a mixture of the simple sugars, no need to obtain it special. this is why honeywater is the prefered medium. before that, mollasses was widly used by micologists, but that is old school.

a lid with a filter disc in it, obtainable from several of the vendors at the shroomery, will definutly help lengthen out the useable lifespan of licuid innoculant, and even make it possible to use one batch of honeywater to create one or two more generations of licuid innoculant. but again, look at your costs.

it is hard to tell just looking at it if your honeywater is contamned. if you try to overstretch the usefullness of a batch of honeywater and end up knocking a dozen jars of substrate with contam instead of mushroom, then the cost per innoculation just skyrocketed.

it is possible to achieve in the area of 100 or so innoculations from a single jar of honeywater, and do it for about a dollar. cake jars cost almost a dollar each too, so if you ruin a dozen jars, then your cost just multiplied by twelve. with an easy tropical specie like cubensis one should be able to practicly get two dozen good innoculations per jar without any special apparatus. the species i work with are much more difficult, but the honeywater works about the same for those as well.

hope this answers your questions

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation