Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Explaining Karma (random ponderings)
    #7115448 - 07/01/07 04:01 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Edited by StickyWater (04/29/08 01:32 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebadreligion2good
Uncertain
Male

Re: Explaining Karma (random ponderings) [Re: StickyWater]
    #7115493 - 07/01/07 04:13 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

http://www.audiodharma.org/mp3files/2007-04-29_GilFronsdal_EffortAndKarma.m3u

This guy describes Karma better. Given he has been studying Buddhism for a long time.

You did a better job then most of the hippies on here though. They seem to view Karma as some magical force that balances out human actions based on human desires.

For example, so and son punched me in the face therefore, they will have bad Karma. Since they have bad karma from punching me in the face, something even worse will happen to them, because karma is apparently regulating things in such a way, according to hippies. This doesn't sound to far from a deity regulating reality for humans to me.

All in all, I'll say I agree though your explanation could be more well thought out.

Then again, so could mine.

--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Explaining Karma (random ponderings) [Re: badreligion2good]
    #7115595 - 07/01/07 04:45 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

the idea of karmic roots and karmic results are reduced to a very simple level in abhidhamma.

there are simply only 3 roots
negative , neutral or positive.
the 3 roots produce 3 results
pain, indifference or pleasure

the karmic result of pain is associated with the negative karmic roots
the karmic result of pleasure is associated with the positive karmic roots
the karmic results of indifference are associated with neutral karmic roots.

the negative roots are simply Hatred Greed and Delusion
the positive roots are simply Love Compassion and Clarity

there is no other karma except for the ongoing and fairly instant continuum or connection between moral roots and moral results.

the moral aspect of association between roots and results is inherent in every flowing moment of personality or consciousness.

Eg. carrying the moral weight of guilt (negative karmic roots), pain reigns where pleasure could rise.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #7115868 - 07/01/07 05:52 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

StickyWater said:
We all know what karma is. It's a pretty black and white concept.

Just because you assert that, doesn't make it so. You've likely missed countless discussions regarding this in this forum. :smirk:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Explaining Karma (random ponderings) [Re: fireworks_god]
    #7116207 - 07/01/07 08:05 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

i'm sorry i couldn't read the posts here.

just wanted to say that the secret to karma is that its instantaneous

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #7116313 - 07/01/07 08:28 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Well consider this. Karma, by nature is one of the laws of physics. Not directly, but physics does tell us that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

*BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT!*

As usual, no need to read further when the poster gets so far off the track so early in his/her diatribe.

1. There are NO indirect laws of physics.

2. Physics talks of energy and matter; it says nothing of morality or good and bad which are subjective judgements.

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#7116330 - 07/01/07 08:32 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

It's a pretty black and white concept. If you do good, good will come, if you do bad, the you'll get bad in return.

It is amazing how many errors can you cram into a few sentences.

Good and bad is black & white, eh? Please give a clear digital guideline that everyone will agree upon so that we may judge each action to be good or bad.

--------------------

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: Explaining Karma (random ponderings) [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #7116810 - 07/01/07 10:09 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Edited by StickyWater (04/29/08 01:32 PM)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#7116869 - 07/01/07 10:20 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Good and bad are murky, but the idea of karma is clear? Sorry, does not compute. Uncertain inputs can not give a certain output unless the output is a constant 1 or 0.

Once again karma has zero relationship to physics. PERIOD. NONE. ZIP. ZILCH. NADA. NICHTS. NYET.

Have you ACTUALLY studied the Laws of Thermodynamics or are just spouting some mystical BS you read somewhere? Where does Newton speak of morality in his treatise? Understanding is much more powerful than parroting. Energy has a very specific meaning and does not equal feel-good or 'negative' vibes or whatever.

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
    #7117128 - 07/01/07 11:13 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Man Karma is an interesting thing to ponder. Its a great conspiricy theory like all religion. I never really tried to grasp the technicalities of Karma, not because the concept is uninteresting, but because it seems overwealming. It seems like karma is the last thing you really understand as a buddhist, dont you think? It seems like you shouldnt be able to get it, untill you understand it all, or that when you get it then you get everything else. Anyways lately ive found it interesting to look at eastern spirituality as proportional. See, it kind of makes sense, because what i find asthe most intriguing, and encompassing concept of eastern thought is relativism. Everything is denominated by something else at all times. I like the way you put alot of these ideas Sticky, so just for shits and giggles Im gonna convert what you said to proportions.

Quote:

StickyWater said:
We all know what karma is. It's a pretty black and white concept. If you do good, good will come, if you do bad, the you'll get bad in return. Some of us believe in this quite strongly, others argue "well how come good things can happen to bad people" or just otherwise don't feel that's how the world works.

]

Well first, Obviously Im going to disagree that its a black and white concept. Look at all the possibilities of incarnation, just here on earth. What would be better, a cat, a cow, or a manatea? Good vs Bad? Im not even sure this applies.

If you mean by big 100/1 vs small 1/100 i kind of get what your saying. This duality might exist, but when most people think in black and white, they have not even taken in to consideration the denominator, which can easily make the numerator an absolute joke. Instead they might just think 10000000 is a big number, but in relation to a possibly infinite universe 10000000 isnt jack shit.

Quote:

StickyWater said:
Well consider this. Karma, by nature is one of the laws of physics. Not directly, but physics does tell us that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

]

I tend to agree this. Everything seeks equilibrium, whether its through growth or decay. Hmmm maybe there is some point of singularity, or absolute, that the universe is continually striving for, which would be 1/1. Or 10/10 or 100000000000000/1000000000000000.  What is singularity? :shrug:
Are we already a singularity and dont even realize it?

Quote:

StickyWater said:
People have a very flawing tendency, a very understandable tendency, but a flawing one none the less. People still sometimes forget that the world isn't the center of the universe. People still sometimes forget that Earth can not be considered a model to base your understanding of how the entire universe works, because the truth is that the earth merely represents maybe as much of the universe as 1 person represents the entire population. Earth is merely one floating cluster of molecules crammed together which have bonded in such a way as to form incredibly solid rock due to special conditions at a given moment in a given place, it is subject to the forces of the universe, and it is influenced by every action of every electron of every atom around it in a string of cause and effect reactions on a sub-atomic scale.

]

Yea I agree were nothing special. Or maybe we all are.... hahah

People tend to forget that that they have a denominator, which is possibly, and to my understanding, probably infinite. Does this mean that any thought, relationship, and experience, utterly meaningless? ---> If your measuring how big they are, yes. If your measuring how close to singularity...

Quote:

StickyWater said:
In this sense, we can take a new approach to the idea of karma, viewing it beyond the boundaries that once limited it to influencing our lives and the world, and we can start viewing it on a much more logical, realistic, and visualizable level of cause and effect reactions due to the actions we make. For every action the atoms of and around us make, there is an equal and opposite reaction, carrying out as a string of reactions throughout the universe. We are directly connected to the rest of the universe through a string of cause and effect reactions that can begin on one of the universe and slowly make their way through the universe until they reach us.

]

We can always conceptually be part of a whole, no matter what way you think.

1/1

Even if reality is infinite. Think about it if the universe is infinite, so are you.

Quote:

StickyWater said:
With this consideration, does it not seem logical to say that we are, in some part responsible for the actions and events in the universe? Could we not say that collectively as a species we can have a great influence on the events in the universe? I mean we've already completely changed the chemistry balance of a planet through our direct actions. If our planet were to give off particals of matter or something into space, then this matter would interact with other matter and would cause impact the chain of long-term events in the universe.

]

Heheh I like this. Every single atom is in its own way the very center of the universe, affected by, and affecting everything. Explains many of the delusions of grandeur doesnt it? Although 1/infinity may seem meaningless, it really isnt. Its really infinity over infinity.

Quote:

StickyWater said:
Basically what I'm saying is that I think the idea of Karma has been viewed too materialistically. People follow it hoping to get good in their lives. The follow it under the assumption that for some reason the universe will bend around them, for them. Instead I feel that people should view it as a responsibility to the universe. Stop causing more chaotic reactions in the universe, and there will be less cause and effect reactions in the unverse resulting from a chaotic influence and will help the universe run itself more smoothly and calmly.

]
Hmmm if i could just convert ethics to numbers...

Quote:

StickyWater said:
Of course being such a small part of the universe, it's really impossible to say what would be a bad reaction to put out all the time, but I think it's safe to say that certain things definitely seem to cause a lot of chaos in the universe. War, deceit, corruption, they all have small scale universal influences of these cause and effect reactions that we can see here where we stand. They show themselves in the frustration caused by chemical reactions shutting down in the brain to cause hatred and violence in people. They show themselves in the way our world unfolds as it happens.

]
Meh more ethics...

Quote:

StickyWater said:
I'm not so much arguing the existance of Karma here, I'm arguing that the whole universe follows one of the most basic laws of physics and that for thousands of years people have completely ignored that, foccusing on only the universe surrounding them to assess their existance and influences. Too many people assume that just because something bad doesn't happen to them that they're not doing anything wrong. Too many people assume that because someone has done them wrong that revenge is a justified solution.

]

I get ya man. Sure, not in a literal sense, but I actually see these laws as  very poetic. To me a "law of relativity" explains pretty much everyhting, not just literal science. Equal and opposite reaction is damn good too:thumbup:

Quote:

StickyWater said:
I don't know, I think we all just have to take a little more responsibility for our actions and start to realize that unless we collectively calm down and start being held accountable for what we do, we're just going to keep making the world a much more chaotic place. Otherwise things will never slow down enough to find a balance.

Just some random thoughts, I never really believed in Karma myself, but I guess viewing it from a more down to earth view of cause and effect reactions rather than a mystical force helps make sense of it to me a bit. Just thought I'd share my thoughts, get some opinions.

Yea, same here, no need to analyze it too much i think, as im wasted right now. Just discovered an awesome drink: Vodka and white grapefruit juice.  :cheers:

Cool post man.

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
    #7117262 - 07/01/07 11:53 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Edited by StickyWater (04/29/08 01:31 PM)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#7117326 - 07/02/07 12:15 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

You don't have to define good and evil to tell somebody what the philosophy of karma is.

Karma is based upon good and evil, but one can understand karma without understanding the basics behind it? Sorry, this does not follow.

Quote:

Why does it even matter if Newton spoke of morality.

It only matters if you are going to use his laws as an explanation of how karma works.

Quote:

Way to contribute to the open-minded image this community tries to send off.

How does this personalism help to clarify your stance?

Quote:

If our choices and their outcomes are caused by reactions of atoms in one way or another, then Karma simply follows a complex scientific logic.

You are commingling 'causation' - a fact, with karma, a baseless philosophy.

Quote:

I think that comparing physics and Karma at the beginning was wrong,

Yet, you lash out for your misconception being pointed out.

Quote:

So yeah, sorry I'm not a walking encyclopedia full of every shred of detail there is to know about science.

Apology accepted.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I could find a lot that you don't know absolutely everything about but talk about anyways.

When you encounter such statements from me, I sincerely hope you point out such an error.

Quote:

At least I'm thinking about new ideas and trying to view things in a way that I can relate to in order to understand them better rather than just yelling at people because I don't understand their thinking.

Yelling?

Quote:

and have asked politely already that you stop focusing on the small details and focus more on my line of thinking.

The errors I pointed at are not mere details, but the underlying fundamental.

Quote:

So please, if all you want to do is give me a hard time for not knowing everything there is to know to write up a 50+ page post to fully explain every single possible detail with full scientific evidence and explanation, then stop replying.

A hard time? Do you fail to understand the nature of philosophic debate? If you so choose, put me on IGNORE, but I feel free to reply to any post I choose. When You become a mod then you may censure me.

Amazingly, I never take umbrage when someone cares enough to attempt to respond intelligently to any of my posts.

Quote:

Otherwise just accept the fact that I'm working with

Once again, I never accept something as factual based upon a poster's say-so.

Quote:

what knowledge of science I do have, which with me taking an interest in science is more than most people have to start with.

Please reference how you know most people's level of scientific knowledge - or do you just make stuff up?

Quote:

you've given me a hard time for it.

Challenging an idea is the basis of this forum and has nothing to do with giving you a hard time. Taking counterpoint personally is just silly.

Quote:

I don't mind criticism,

Even though you have made a dozen statements contrary to this.

--------------------

Edited by OrgoneConclusion (07/02/07 12:55 AM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#7117398 - 07/02/07 12:36 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Orgone just made some valid points. This forum is intended for the open discussion of ideas, and one needs to be receptive to any alternate or critical viewpoints of one's ideas for effective discussion in this forum. Any aspect of one's ideas are open to dissent in this forum, and it is not appropriate to direct comments towards the personal nature of the poster presenting any idea or perspective. The Mysticism, Religion, and Paranormal forum is intended for discussion of similar topics but with different manners of discussion, although I personally hold the opinion that it is incredibly healthy for one's ideas to be entirely open to peer review, as they deem fit to review it, within the outlined forum rules, of course. :grin:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
    #7117485 - 07/02/07 01:09 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#7117556 - 07/02/07 01:28 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Alright, alright, I'm wrong, it's impossible for Karma to be explainable because there's no guidelines of good and evil.

And thus the thread ends :cheer: (unless reincarnation is factual).

The rest of your post would have been better as a PM.

--------------------

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
    #7117599 - 07/02/07 01:40 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#7117664 - 07/02/07 02:01 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

So karma is the principle that action has subsequent consequences, which may or may not lie dependent upon "previous incarnations"?

Okay, so why does it need further explanation? :tongue:

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: Explaining Karma (random ponderings) [Re: fireworks_god]
    #7117687 - 07/02/07 02:09 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Edited by StickyWater (04/29/08 01:30 PM)

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#7117701 - 07/02/07 02:14 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Once again, I am confused by your post. Are you saying that the dictionary negates any need for philosophic debate or that everything in the dictionary is factual?

I found a definition for Santa Claus. What does that tell us?

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
    #7117708 - 07/02/07 02:19 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

You mean Santa doesn't exist? :frown:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder