Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: AaronEvil]
    #6598568 -

Because he's not DECLINING any money.
He's letting them pay him later (if he gets it, since we already stated that contracts aren't guaranteed.)

He is a good guy, but this move is not what makes him a good guy.


And yes, not everyone in the league would do something like this, but citing Ryan Leaf is a poor example, since he doesn't even play.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: jewunit]
    #6598970 -

jewunit said:
Because he's not DECLINING any money.
He's letting them pay him later (if he gets it, since we already stated that contracts aren't guaranteed.)

He is a good guy, but this move is not what makes him a good guy.


And yes, not everyone in the league would do something like this, but citing Ryan Leaf is a poor example, since he doesn't even play.



Leaf wasnt a poor example from my teams franchise history. That guy barely even wanted to play yet he snaked millions from us. That is the difference between him and Manning. Manning IS a team player not a money whore. And I think it does make him a nice guy to say "dont give me that money now." You stated yourself he may not get the money which he knows. He is taking a risk at losing millions so that his team can stay together. If that doesnt make him a good guy, along with many other things, I dont know what does.


--------------------


There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: AaronEvil]
    #6599096 -

Okay.
I don't know why some people are having such a hard time understanding this. I'll say it as simply as possible.

Peyton Manning is a good guy.
Still with me?
Peyton Manning was a good guy before his restructuring.
Peyton Manning's restructuring isn't a huge deal because he will still get his money, barring some catastrophic decline in ability.
Other people around the league do the same thing.

I was saying Ryan Leaf isn't a good example because he didn't last long. There are other people still in the league who wouldn't do this, yes. But that's dumb. Peyton wants to keep his team intact not just because he's a good guy, but because he wants to keep winning. He's a professional athlete, which means he's competitive. In professional sports, you get compensated more for winning.
They get bonuses for making the playoffs, getting names to the pro bowl, winning the Super Bowl, so on and so forth. So really, you could look at this as a greedy thing anyway, but I don't think that's Peyton's only motivation.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: jewunit]
    #6599174 -

I get what you are saying and I see how that could be true for any number of people who could/would/have done this. But do you really think Peyton is looking at the $$ of possibly winning. Dont you think a guy like Peyton cares more about his team and teamates than money no matter how much more he COULD get if they keep winning? It seems to me we brush off athletes that really do play for the love of playing. Remember when you were a kid and you played sports? Didnt you always want to be on your friends team no matter how bad you lost? Winning was a bonus. Dont you think that MAYBE that is motivation for Peyton to keep his teamates? They have a special bond and connection with one another.

I just dont see how this could possibly be a greed thing. Maybe if TO was doing it, or Michael Vick or any other assortment of players. But there are a few people that play in this league that I just cant see doing something like this for the purpose of making more money.


--------------------


There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: AaronEvil]
    #6599300 -

Okay, again, I said "...I don't think that's Peyton's only motivation." I do, however, think that is definitely part of it. I'm willing to bet almost any professional athlete would rather play for winning teams than play with their buddies.

And no, I don't remember that, when I was a kid I wanted to play on the winning team, if that meant beating my friends ass, oh well. I have friends, and then I have friends that I play sports with. There's a difference. Sure, I make bonds with my team mates, but I've pretty much played on losing teams for most of my life, and frankly playing with my friends means nothing to me. I'd take winning over playing with friends any day of the week. That is the difference between true competitors and people who play sports for fun.

The people who go on to play in the pros are the the competitors, that's why they make it. I'm telling you right here, right now, I don't care how good of a guy Peyton is, if his team sucked and taking a pay cut meant keeping his sucky team intact, he would have thought long and hard about it. It's the NFL, you'll make bonds with any of your teammates, since the league is so unstable. You can also keep ties with people who are no longer on your team. If him and Edge were friends (I don't know if they were or not) I bet they still are and have no trouble keeping in touch.

I just get the impression you're not actually reading what I'm saying. It's not a greed thing first, but I am very confident that it is part of it. Not necessarily greed of money, but greed of winning. I think you are VASTLY underestimating the level of these people's desire to win. Selfish, unselfish, nice, asshole, no matter what kind of person you are you play to win, everything else is secondary, even to TO.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: jewunit]
    #6599313 -

Sorry to seem so aggressive, by the way.
I'm just presenting things that might have been involved that I don't think people have realized.

I still think this is a good move, and agree that not everyone would do it, but in my mind it is far from what makes Manning the great guy/player he is.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: jewunit]
    #6599484 -

OK.. in a nutshell.. there are many players in the NFL who are money oriented. and Peyton doesnt seem like one of those guys.. hell Peyton could have held out like Deion Branch did last season..

and a lot can happen in 4 years other than a decrease in ability from aging.. he could suffer a career ending injury in that dome or anywhere for that matter.. and in that case.. bye bye 10 million dollar bonus and bye bye to the remainder of his 97 million dollar contract.

my point, he could take the 10 million right now and be safe.. but no, hes allowing the colts to spread it out and pay it to him over the remaining 4 years of his contract... 10 million this year, and 2.5 million per year for 4 years, makes a HUGE difference to a team.


--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: jewunit]
    #6599757 -

jewunit said:
Sorry to seem so aggressive, by the way.
I'm just presenting things that might have been involved that I don't think people have realized.

I still think this is a good move, and agree that not everyone would do it, but in my mind it is far from what makes Manning the great guy/player he is.



Its all good man I realize you differ than me on this issue. You arent being aggressive we are just both voicing our opposing opinions. Like I posted in the pub you seem like a chill guy and I look foward to seeing you more active on the forums.


--------------------


There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: AaronEvil]
    #6602604 -

fuck peyton manning.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: Banez]
    #6603261 -

Fuck these assholes, Peyton is a class act period:snowman:


--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty


You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: OldSpice]
    #6603314 -

lick the inside of.


--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: God, i love Peyton Manning even more now. [Re: Banez]
    #6605660 -

Banez said:
lick the inside of.



WTF? *shakes head at you


--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty


You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Peyton vs Brees....
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
Paw_Paw 11,429 135 03/27/10 05:07 PM
by cortex
* why peyton manning > tom brady
( 1 2 3 all )
relativexistance 4,835 49 12/22/07 11:35 AM
by relativexistance
* Peyton Vs Sanchez... Paw_Paw 911 12 01/22/10 10:02 PM
by gzuf
* Saints vs Colts: season opener
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
SneezingPenis 9,283 82 09/14/10 03:19 PM
by jimbotron
* Donovan McNabb says black QBs under more pressure lonestar2004 821 6 09/19/07 11:08 AM
by jewunit
* The Patriots Are Unstoppable...
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
Madtowntripper 13,706 132 11/09/07 03:35 PM
by Deadmaker
* Week 4 Football Picks Madtowntripper 2,892 15 10/02/06 01:30 PM
by Infrared
* Official Colts vs. Bears Super Bowl Thread
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
Dexter_Morgan 8,602 97 02/07/07 09:51 PM
by OldSpice

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: psilocybinjunkie, 13shrooms
2,900 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 4 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 17 queries.