Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]
Re: removing cat claws [Re: theduke]
    #6451191 -

If you're going to get the animal fixed I wouldn't suggest declawing, just trim its claws on a weekly basis. Start when the animal's a kitten and you shouldn't have too many problems.

Declawing is like removing your fingertips and leaving your fingers w/ 2 bones instead of 3.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: Maverick]
    #6451195 -

bullshit.. it doesnt cause any pain to the cat by not having its claws.. sorry i just dont buy it.. and we are getting this kitten both fixed and declawed at the same time, and he will be spending the next 2 days in the care of the vet.


--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: marybell]
    #6451201 -

I think it's sick. I would never declaw a cat indoor or out. Wouldn't get their junk chopped either.


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: barfightlard]
    #6451204 -

have you ever owned a cat?


--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: Banez]
    #6451213 -

I've owned a cat.

And it's not about the pain, it's about the fact that if your cat ever gets outside, and another cat fucks with it, your cat's gonna get its ass whooped, have chunks out of its ears, and be pretty roughed up.

Think about how important your fingertips are.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: Banez]
    #6451214 -

3 throughout my life


--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: Maverick]
    #6451217 -

I couldn't do it, but not castrate them? (assuming you dont want them to get pregnant)  :shocked:

Edited by marybell (01/12/07 04:16 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: CureCat]
    #6451261 -

CureCat said:
I haven't seen any evidence which supports the alleged "cruelty" of declawing. 
IF it is painless, then I see no reason not to declaw INDOOR cats.

Also, it isn't JUST the furniture- cats leave marks! 

If the cat recovers within a few weeks from the surgery, i consider that fair.  If it is life long tenderness/sensitivity, then a couple cat scratches does not justify the pain caused to the animal.
And under no circumstances would i declaw an outdoor cat for the reasons stated above: self defense, and stability.



I concur.  Furthermore people NEED to remember to research both sides of the fence.  I have now owned quite a few declawed cats, one by my choice becuse they were clawing my children, the rest declawed by previous owners, etc.

its a NO NO for outdoo cats for obvious reasons, but i have nver, not once in my entire life full of friends and my own cats, seen a cat thats been declawed (properly, soemtimes the vets DO fuckup whicih sucks, but rare) have any problem for more then the first week at most.  In fact, most of the ones I've seen are already acting 'normal' withint 2 days, just a bit tender at most.

I have a lot of expensive furniure in my house.  The cats we have were becuse my woman is a massive cat lover, while I am nuetral on it all.  Now, the cats are trying to destroy a very expensive couch, a leather chair, an ottoman, and my VERY expensive speakers. 

Thousands and thousands of dollars worth of damage is worth it for the declawing if its an indoor cat and you obviously love it and take care of it, AND try OTHER methods BEFORE declawing.  It SHOULD be a last or near last resort method.

just my 2 cents and maybe a nickle tip. :wink:


--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: mndfreeze]
    #6451296 -

Yeah, my cat is about a year and a half old, maybe more. Found him as a starving dehydrated older ghetto kitten. He's a tom cat now. Loves scratching up the bed, the little fucker. Sometimes he has some extremely strong smelling urine too. Doesn't spray though. He's pretty chill and all, likes to fight (wrestle, no blood) with me a bit, but that's fun. I dunno, I'll probably get him declawed and deballed soon. But he doesn't cause much of a problem at the moment unless he smells cat pussy. Then it 'MEROOOWWWWLLLLLL!!!!! MEROOOOOWWWWWLLLLL!!!' constantly for like three days. Cant blame him really. I could use some pussy myself. ;p

Pz,

G


--------------------
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: GoaM]
    #6451298 -

At the very least get him fixed. Its so unfair to have so many strays and kittens that dont get cared for because of overpopulatio and horrible fucking pet owners.

I despise people who abuse their pets. If you cant take care of it, DONT GET IT. Its like the welfare people who have kids to abuse the system, only animal owners dont get shit and have no purpose or goal other then to make some poor animal miserable!


--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..[/quote]

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: mndfreeze]
    #6451302 -

If you have an indoor cat that you don't have declawed, be sure to trim his claws regularly. Or, you'll end up like my kitty did - having an ingrown claw, which I'm sure wasn't all that comfy for him.

Never had a 100% indoor cat before, so it was never something I had to worry about -- going to start keeping up on it now.

With outdoor cats its not really a problem.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: marybell]
    #6451307 -

Don't think I ever would find trimming the claws that big a deal that declawing would be worth it. I mean it takes like 10min a week and is absolutely no fuss(at least not with our cats)..


--------------------

Rodney Brooks on Robots
Nalim said: "Quoting yourself is retarded."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: Banez]
    #6451313 -

Really, you should not declaw your cat. The issue of whether the procedure itself is painful is secondary. Like DRTMaverick says, it's equivalent to amputating the last joint in your fingers. In most European countries it is illegal. Many cats get pleasure from using scratching posts and kneading on soft surfaces. That's their nature and if a non-invasive solution like Soft Paws or clipping their nails isn't enough, IMHO you should consider a different pet.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: Ythan]
    #6451327 -

I also feel declawing them is taking an easy way out. And no one can now for sure that they can keep the cat for their rest of their lives and what if the cat has to move and end up outdoor?  :shake:


Mine loves their scratching post and Im happy with it  :naughty:

Edited by marybell (01/12/07 06:29 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: mndfreeze]
    #6451329 -

Granny said:
At the very least get him fixed. Its so unfair to have so many strays and kittens that dont get cared for because of overpopulatio and horrible fucking pet owners.

I despise people who abuse their pets. If you cant take care of it, DONT GET IT. Its like the welfare people who have kids to abuse the system, only animal owners dont get shit and have no purpose or goal other then to make some poor animal miserable!



My cat is quite happy and well fed and taken care of, thank you very much. And he is an indoor cat so I don't see why you're so interested. I haven't had any problems with him other than the occassional sleepless night, the corner of my boxspring being torn up, and a very pungent catbox on occasion. Are you calling me a horrible pet owner? Or just going off on people in general?


--------------------
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: GoaM]
    #6451338 -

Anyhow, there have been vast improvements in declawing over the years. When I was a kid it was either get my cat declawed or put down. She came home in bandages which stayed on for at least a week, and limped for a good couple of weeks. It was a bloody surgery. They used to take much more of the cat's "fingers" in those days. (later 70's).

Nowadays, the surgery is bloodless. No bandages. No complications. And if it's a choice between $1000's of dollars of furniture and some minor surgery on a cat, then it's a no brainer.

I just don't feel like altering my cat at the moment. I enjoy him the way he is. But it'll probably be best to have him declawed and deballed in the next few months, especially since spraying behavior increases after the age of two in unaltered males. But then again... maybe I won't. It's my decision. I own the cat.


--------------------
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: GoaM]
    #6451348 -

haven't you guys heard of "soft paws"?

http://www.softpaws.com/

These are basically plastic covers you glue to the claws of your cat. It prevents them from scraatching or clawing everything in sight.

They're kind of a pain in the ass since you have to re-apply them every 2-3 weeks but are a nice alternative to declawing.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Edited by badchad (01/12/07 06:56 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: badchad]
    #6451379 -

Yeah, I've heard of them. They do sound like a royal pain in the ass. I might try them out though. I like to alter animals as little as possible. (Unless I kill them. Then I'm all for altering them into steaks, and jerky and whatnot.) LOL.  :hehehe:

My little bastard (Kush) is now curled up on a sleeping bag I set up for him on an easy chair I don't use. He also likes sleeping next to me, and reaching out and putting a paw on me. Which can be quite disturbing as one night I got one of those litter pan germinated paws in my mouth.  :puke:

But I do enjoy my cat, even though it wasn't my choice to keep him. I was going to take him to a shelter when he was rehydrated and put on some weight. But he was quiet, well behaved and litter trained, so I kept him, cause they'd have gassed him anyway. And besides, it's good luck to take in a starveling. Maybe Bast will smile on me, and protect me from cops and other evil doers.  :wink:  :nicekitty:

Pz,

G


--------------------
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: marybell]
    #6451380 -

The vets around here don't like to declaw any cat, and they will try to talk you out of it if you want to get it done.

I would never declaw one of my cats.


--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: removing cat claws [Re: trendal]
    #6451405 -

My mother works for a vet. Of course they are more recently through Vetenary school (University of Pennsylvania I believe). They assured me the cat would not suffer if I chose to declaw him. And that for indoor only cats they totally understand why I'd want to consider declawing and wouldn't try to talk me out of it. Or think less of anyone who does. So I'll go with my respected Vets opinions, as they obviously care alot about animals and are involved in many rescues.

I just think Euros and Canadians are odd about things. At least Canadians can still hunt if they want too, but they definitely seem more Euro influenced. Just my opinion, yell at me if you want. LOL.

Pz,

G


--------------------
 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Cats, Impossible to find?
( 1 2 all )
Jared 3,837 36 02/23/06 08:08 AM
by nakors_junk_bag
* my dumb cat has been clawing my couches DoctorJ 966 12 05/25/06 09:01 AM
by cybrbeast
* Your thoughts on declawing cats?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
Patlal 4,734 137 11/24/16 12:54 PM
by Enjoywho
* My cat keeps shaking his head like crazy
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 6,033 31 05/26/05 02:43 PM
by MOTH
* To give a Cat a Bath *funny* Cryptic 3,202 11 01/05/06 04:22 PM
by Le_Canard
* My cat vibrates his tail! What does it mean?
( 1 2 all )
MOTH 14,452 21 07/21/04 06:04 PM
by smurfette
* The Cat vs The Ape
( 1 2 all )
SkorpivoMusterion 3,529 30 01/22/05 12:58 AM
by Zekebomb
* how to teach a cat?
( 1 2 all )
John 3,125 20 07/12/05 03:39 AM
by ricyjo

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
13,537 topic views. 6 members, 14 guests and 288 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.029 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.