Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

On Artificial Intelligence
    #618282 - 04/25/02 12:24 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

I am by NO means an expert in this field. It just seems to me that true artificial intelligence would be impossible for this reason; i believe the mechanism of thinking has to do with certain molecules being excreted from cells and being picked up by "keyed" receptors. Basic knowledge of chemistry would lead me to believe that not all of these molecules are recieved by the receptors and we all know what that difference can mean (tripping, depression, so on..). It would appear to me that the number of molecules recieved has to do with the concentration released and "random" factors such as the concentration before release, other chemicals in the brain, density of brain fluid, possibly electromagnetic and gravitational factors and so on...Sure, this is "theoretically" possible assuming that we could even quantize such atomic interactions, but is it feasable?

--------------------
:egyptian:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: On Artificial Intelligence [Re: Catalysis]
    #618304 - 04/25/02 12:43 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

The defintion of intelligence is a moving target because people want to believe that they are special beings. It was once widely agreed upon than any machine that could beat top chess masters would have to be labeled as intelligent. Then Deep Blue (an IBM-funded specialty chess computer/program) came along and whipped Kasparov, the reigning world champion. Humans could have none of that and said that wasn't "fair" because Deep Blue used a brute force method by searching and evaluating billions of positions. So because it made decisions in a somewhat different manner than a human, it could not possibly be intelligent. Another argument was that it's starting knowledge-base was "spoon-fed". An intelligent entity must learn by itself.

In a parallel development, I wrote the world's strongest backgammon program utilizing an "expert system". Basically, I wrote thousands of rules gained by my many years at the backgammon board. It was a herculean effort taking over 7 years. My claim to fame was that it was the first BG program to win a tournament against human players and also won the 1992 World Cup Computer Championship.

During this time, also funded by IBM, came a backgammon program that was self-taught using neural networks. It took a great deal of human intelligence to set it up, but the program started as a blank slate and taught itself to play world-class backgammon after some 500,000 games played against itself! Now my program is but a memory and a half-dozen neural network programs dominate the backgammon world.

Once again the definition of intelligence is changing. It seems intelligence must be a mysterious something and once the mechanism behind a certain thought process is understood, can no longer be considered intelligence.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
Re: On Artificial Intelligence [Re: Catalysis]
    #618306 - 04/25/02 12:45 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Synapses aren't the only means to transmit information in a network of discreet units. The living brain evolved synapses because, given the organic media, this is the only way to have efficient regulation and plasticity of information pathways. However, if we ever designed a computer that could think, we would use electronic means of control as opposed to chemical. Neural circuits and electric circuits have a lot of parallels, but they are not completely analagous. Although by no means an easy task, I think artificial intelligence is very possible, and I bet we'll probably see it in our lifetimes.

OfflineCatalysis
EtherealEngineer

Re: On Artificial Intelligence [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #618326 - 04/25/02 01:16 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Swami, its awsome that you did all of that!! I always like to hear of people doing things other than sitting around and watching TV.

Anyway, i guess i was considering a computer that mimicked human thought and not just a simple "learning machine" (although they are not that simple). Thats probably what AI is commonly referring to (the learning machine).

Ska, i was led to believe that the actual processes that go on in the brain which comprise "thinking" are not so much in discrete packets as they are the result of a dynamic chemical equilibrium where diffusion and effusion are occuring through various cells.

Sure, you can make algorithms of logic and say that it is like human thought and in this case, any computer could be said to possess intelligence and be able to "think" like a human. The real breakthrough would come from a computer that could "feel" happy or sad or discombobulated and then make decisions based on these emotions. imo, of course

--------------------
:egyptian:

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
Re: On Artificial Intelligence [Re: Swami]
    #618337 - 04/25/02 01:29 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Can I just ask; is there anything you haven't done??

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: On Artificial Intelligence [Re: Revelation]
    #618347 - 04/25/02 01:38 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Can I just ask; is there anything you haven't done??
Hmm, nope can't think of anything... but wait:

Haven't had a baby.

Was never in the Olympics.

Haven't been in space.

Have not spent the night with Cindy Crawford.

I guess that's about it.

Still working on the cure for cancer... If I did not have to spend so much time debunking, I would have completed my initial trials by now.

--------------------

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Re: On Artificial Intelligence [Re: Swami]
    #618362 - 04/25/02 01:47 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

heh..sorry..i'm just jealous.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Birth of Rap [Re: Revelation]
    #618378 - 04/25/02 02:10 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Forgot to mention one thing. I often joke, but rarely BS. I actually "invented" modern Rap music. Historically, it was called the "Dozens" and was impromptu verses made up on the spot by African-Americans and goes back a hundred years or so.

The year was 1978 or 1979 and I recorded what was probably the first modern Rap song as a hippie white boy. I have proof on cassette although the tape is almost completely worn out. (I should transfer what little is left to CD.) I had a girlfriend into Rick James, so I told her I could do one better. I laid down some funky tracks, but realized that I could not sing, so I chanted in what has become a Rap style.

Drum intro:
Rat-tata-tat, du-duh rat atat a tat
Duh da dum, dum dee da, da dum.

The moon is full
The fever is high
I've got to find
A piece of thigh!

So lock your door
And hide your daughter
Cuz young Tommy's been drinking
That fire water.

Oooh,
Ain't she wicked
Ain't she fine
Don't she blow your little mind?

Curly hair
Baby Blues
Long, lean legs
High-heel shoes.

With hot cross buns
And maple syrup
Wearing skin-tight jeans
Straight from Europe.

Come closer...
Come closer!

Nonsense from a horny young man, but a historical fact!

--------------------

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Re: Birth of Rap [Re: Swami]
    #618400 - 04/25/02 02:41 PM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Unbelievable...

Nice lyrics though :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology