Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??!
    #5861271 -

I just called up home depot to see if they had any in stock, already going to three or four other stores looking for it. I asked the lady if she had any in stock and she said no, they hadn't for three years now, because vermiculite has been deemed carcinogenic. This scares the shit out of me, especially because of how much I have worked with this.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
What else is there to use?


--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5861284 -

depending on the mine, from what I've heard, it _may_ contain asbestos, wich may lead to lung cancer, so it could be carcinogenic....
Have a look here


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5861286 -

confused with Asbestos?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: Eraserhead]
    #5861298 -

Alright, alright, than here's my plan-
Any time I work with vermiculite, I'll put on a gas masky thing, go far outside away from all houses, pour my vermiculite in my already mixed brf/water mix, mix it up, pour it in jars, tin foil them, seal up my vermiculite case good and put it somewhere safe and away from people, then return home and wash my hands... boil my jars, etc, I should be fine.

I'm guessing once the mycelium is fully colonized no vermiculite can be released... but wait, I put vermiculite on top of my cakes...

screw this i'm going to

A) Find a replacement for vermiculite
or
B) Start doing WBS grows without casing with vermiculite, i'll just use something else.


--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

Edited by beatnicknick (07/15/06 10:02 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5861323 -

Not necessary, they shut down that mine long ago, so Ive heard...


--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: EquilibriuM]
    #5861337 -

I believe it was one isolated mine.
and as said, it was shut down.

not positive, but fairly sure.

something...
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post4719185


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5861349 -

BS

This has been hashed over 1001 times right here.

In the 80's, a vermiculite mine in Libby Montana, produced vermiculite, that was tainted with asbestos.

The mine was shut down.

Since then, all vermiculite sold in the USA.

IS TESTED, for asbestos before it can be sold to the public.

Rock, gravel, sand, crushed oyster shell, perlite, horse shit, grains & about every thing in life, could be deemed carcinogenic.

IF YOU USE IT WRONG.

Eat 15 lbs or fill your lungs with a any of the above.

And, it would have an ILL EFFECT.

Just don't eat or breath in any excess amount of it & you are FINE.


--------------------
Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time...
[

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5861386 -

This topic has been covered before, but here we go again:

Vermiculite is no more dangerous to work with than perlite is. You really shouldn't go inhaling dust particles from anything, vermiculite or not. There is no asbestos in the vermiculite sold anymore. The asbestos rumors float around to this day because of the Libby mine. The Home Depot near me carries vermiculite, so I guess it depends on how up-to-date your local store is. As for carcinogens, I don't know that to be true either, but you should work with a surgical type mask anytime your doing something that kicks up dust. Most hydroponic shops have verm and I remember Pris mentioning that some places that install insulation have it also, so you may want to check that out.

Check out www.vermiculite.com and www.vermiculite.org for more accurate information about vermiculite.


--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5861399 -

I guess these other guys covered it already! I'm at work, so I have to minimize every time the boss comes by :grin:

Bottom line:

DON'T go scaring everyone because some $8 an hour employee at Home Depot told you some false information.


--------------------

Quick WBS Prep

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: FooMan]
    #5861416 -

Who cares! I mean anything can cause cancer. I read in the paper not too long ago the scented candles cause lung cancer. I guess in my case it doesn't matter though. I mean I smoke cigarettes so I guess I'm screwed anyway.


--------------------
Citizens guide to surviving a police encounter
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: mMmMmmuShRooM]
    #5861454 -

Well actually I'd rather not work with this, just for the fact you have to be careful, and because I have found a replacement for vermiculite. I will still use perlite, because after you dump it in your terrarium, you are done the risky part and you can just keep misting it and you wont have to worry about dust particles ever being swept up and breathed it.

The replacement is crushed up, verm sized pieces of plain popcorn. I had heard about this long ago, from these guys that shipped out mycobags with brf and popcorn and they actually work just fine. Now I'm going to test it out as a casing w/ some peat as well, and I'll tell you all how it goes. Just threw away my vermiculite, going to go buy some plain popcorn kernils from the store in a little.

Wish me luck! If anything, this will be a cool experiment and a money saver (barely though)


--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5861480 -

ive bought verm at home depot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: Yamidude]
    #5861491 -

good luck with that popcorn.

:nonono:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5861662 -

I can't believe this topic still gets brought up!~

it really makes me  :mad2:


I have posted at least 50 threads on this subject in great detail over the years.
Do a fucking search for the love of God!~

The Libby mine in Montana was the only Vermiculite mine in the USA that had this problem with Vermiculite containing some asbestos.
It was shut down!~

All Vermiculite mines are tested by the EPA for asbestos now!~

I have contacted the Corp. Offices of Home Depot...
I talked to the mucky muck there and they were very interested in what I told them about Vermiculite.
They told me that if my local Home Depot didn't have the large bags of Verm...
to go to the customer service desk and tell them that I had contacted Corp. and they said they would special order it in for me.
So you can try that.

Last time I ran out of Verm I went to one of my local nurseries and they special ordered it in for me....a (4 cubic ft) bag!~



You can also contact the people at Thermorock that distribute Vermiculite...
and they will help you find someone that sells Verm near you.


Click!~



--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!


Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: VERMICULITE DEEMED CARCINOGENIC?!??! [Re: beatnicknick]
    #5861665 -

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
dead horse!~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* vermiculite a carcinogen? muse_sick 1,895 10 01/15/04 07:51 PM
by Anarkhos
* Vermiculite a Carcinogen? zodiac312 3,194 8 02/25/02 08:12 PM
by Nighted
* Buying Vermiculite?
( 1 2 all )
PaintballAds 18,742 22 03/05/05 07:05 AM
by ShroomGod
* vermiculite substitute!! Stupid seasonal substrates!
( 1 2 all )
Catheriena 5,405 23 10/26/04 08:43 PM
by DrW0mbat
* Poll- Best Vermiculite Substitute
( 1 2 3 4 all )
beatnicknick 16,291 65 04/23/07 01:34 AM
by boneynerd
* Vermiculite and Asbestos? What else to use. Raedon 4,168 17 04/09/03 05:32 PM
by BigJohnson
* Hazardous Vermiculite! Please Read Somatic 976 5 10/17/07 12:23 PM
by Roadkill
* Vermiculite ILLEGAL in New York, WTF
( 1 2 3 all )
Pred929 7,789 49 05/20/07 11:02 AM
by RogerRabbit

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
2,899 topic views. 15 members, 125 guests and 94 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.