Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
vermiculite a carcinogen?
    #2242968 - 01/15/04 01:42 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i was at ace hardware today and asked an old man for vermiculite (which i had apparently been mispronouncing this whole time) and he replied to me that he had been told that ace was going to stop carrying verm b/c it caused cancer? he then directed me to the perilite and informed me that it worked pretty much the same. :confused: I walked away confused. None of the hardware stores around here seem to be carrying verm now, and i have also checked out wal and k mart, both to no avail. tmrw i head to the garden shops!

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: vermiculite a carcinogen? [Re: muse_sick]
    #2242975 - 01/15/04 01:46 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I dont believe that vermiculite by itself is carcinogenic, but i do know that perlite and vermiculite do completley different things, vermiculite has a spngy texture and absrobs water, whereas perlite feels like a rock and expells water via capillary action due to its porus network through its structure. I am pretty sure you can order vermiculite online. Check the sponsers.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Offlinemobiusrunner
myco maniac
    #2243024 - 01/15/04 02:03 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Verm is a rock - it is mined. Quite some time back some verm was found to have a lot of asbestos in it because the mine it came from had, guess what, asbestos in it as well. Verm, by itself has never been shown to be harmful - I'm sure it's dust isn't good for you (it's little rocks going into your lungs after all) but it's not like asbestos (which makes little cuts all over the inside of your lungs)

So, anyways, all verm these days is tested for asbestos content, so you don't have to worry about that shit. Just go to a gardening center - they'll probably only have it in bulk this time of year, but 4 cubic feet for be bought for around 16 bucks so you might as well get a lot.

--------------------
By "I", I of course mean a good friend of mine who happens to live in the fine city of Amsterdam. "I" is just so less awkward.

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: vermiculite a carcinogen? [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2243072 - 01/15/04 02:28 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think perlite is more of a hazard. It throws up millions of tiny dusty rock particles when you pour it. I handle THAT stuff with care!

As far as verm, the verm industry sez its all good so breath up!

--------------------

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: vermiculite a carcinogen? [Re: simplemachine]
    #2243076 - 01/15/04 02:29 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

oh yeh don't substitute verm for perlite or perlite for verm.

--------------------

OfflineBen_Stein
Spelling Gestapo

Loc: Hooterville
Re: vermiculite a carcinogen? [Re: simplemachine]
    #2243539 - 01/15/04 10:31 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Check out Home Depot. They usually carry 10 kilo bags for $10 & change. Also smaller quantities, but why not go for the gusto?

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: vermiculite a carcinogen? [Re: mobiusrunner]
    #2243570 - 01/15/04 10:43 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

What Mobius said. Besides, asbestos isn't even toxic by ingestion (only inhalation) so who cares? (animal studies)

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineOmegaRed
Myco-Floydianenthusiast

Loc: right behind you
Re: vermiculite a carcinogen? [Re: micro]
    #2243700 - 01/15/04 11:48 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If you're looking for verm and cant find it you may have to go online. I am in the same boat. The last couple years, you can find verm in garden centers in the spring/summer/fall but everyone seems to hide it away in the winter. I have been unable to find it for several months now but it should be back in the spring. Either stockpile it and use as needed or try your hand at something that doesn't require verm ie. whole grains.

--------------------
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
I'm not sleepy and there's no place I'm going to.
Hey Mr. Tamborine Man play a song for me,
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you.

OfflineJetBlackNinja
Pimp-o-licious
Loc: $%^&
Re: vermiculite a carcinogen? [Re: OmegaRed]
    #2243705 - 01/15/04 11:53 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

OmegaRed said:
Either stockpile it and use as needed or try your hand at something that doesn't require verm ie. whole grains.

Then you can't case with a verm mix either. I was desperate, but I finally stumbled onto a few bags.

--------------------

Invisibletripndicular
My Minds Eye IsRhizomorphic

Loc: Bowels of HELL
    #2243849 - 01/15/04 01:15 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

URBAN MYTH ! Once upon a time there was asbestos in some verm , when they mined it , but now days they sre much more carefull in the mining of such products . And hell what is not carcenogenic anymore , we are exposed to carcenogenic products everday of our lives , one that you enjoy is worth it in my opinion !
SHROOM HARD AND LIVE LONG !

--------------------
Any information I give is not intended to aide you in the production of potentialy illegal substances !None of my exp comes from growing illegal varities , so take it as you will .
So with that said here is our mission statement .

Then the priest fell into a trance or swoon,& said unto the Queen of heaven ; Write unto us the ordeals; write unto us the rituals; write unto us the law !

OfflineAnarkhos
Without a Ruler
Re: vermiculite a carcinogen? [Re: tripndicular]
    #2244822 - 01/15/04 09:51 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Actually, it's not quite an urban myth, more like a misunderstanding. Scotts has discontinued adding vermiculite to their potting soils because of problems employees experienced at their plants (asbestosis). This problem continued AFTER the Montana mine was shut down. However, the USDA (or was it the FDA?) states that for normal uses the average person has nothing to worry about. The only people who might need to wear things such as dust masks are people like professional gardeners who work with large amounts frequently. It is recommended that when working with vermiculite that you slightly moisten it to keep the dust down. It is not that all vermiculite contains asbestos (most does not and batches that do usually have very small amounts), but that it is very difficult to determine when asbestos might occur with vermiculite.

--------------------
No masters, no servants.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation