Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAreA
Stranger
Toaster Oven Experiment
    #554159 - 02/17/02 02:25 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Hey people. I just wanna say I'm new to the Shroomery, but not new to research. I am going to be conducting an experiment to see if it can be a safe, and low price alternative to using a full sterilization chamber or pressure cooker to use a small Toaster Oven. I have read that you can use a regular kitchen oven as a good source to inoculate if you don?t use a glove box, due to the unproven theory that: ?when heat rises, so does the contaminates that can infect your jars?. Personally myself, I have not done anything with an oven other then put a pizza in. So I decided to try a little experiment with a toaster oven to see if it can be used instead of a BIG ASS oven. If anyone else is like me, my lab does not have any room for a BIG ASS oven, much less having to run 220V plugs and wires, etc? I have no conducted this experiment yet, but wanted others to help me out. I know a lot about science and chemicals, but not that much on electronics and the insides. I don?t know if I am going to have to tweak the heating elements to get a more higher degree, or if the HIGH button will be the tempature I am wanting. Tomorrow / Today I will be going to wal-mart, my fav mushroom supply store, to pick me up a good toaster oven. They are only about $40.00, and can be used for doing both (maybe) the sterilization and the inoculation. I am gonna give it a try, feel free to post your comments and suggestions, I?ll keep you all informed on how the experiment went and maybe post some pictures on my website of the process of tweaks, if any are needed at all. Laterz ppl. And happy shrooming!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Toaster Oven Experiment [Re: AreA]
    #554163 - 02/17/02 02:33 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

>due to the unproven theory that: ?when heat rises, so does the contaminates that can infect your jars?.

Look where the air is going:

The air actually goes down as low as the bottom of the jar.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Toaster Oven Experiment [Re: Anno]
    #554165 - 02/17/02 02:35 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

-> moved here from Vendors

Offlinehoneyroasted
    #555346 - 02/18/02 12:11 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

the idea is intriguing. It might be convenient to be able to work at a toaster oven. however, the size of a regular oven does allow a rack to be an adequate workspace to do pretty much any kind of sterile work without the need of a flowhood(especially if a clean/sterile aluminum tray or similar is used in order to make the oven rack into a clean flat surface). A toster oven would be difficult to work with if you were trying to pour a sleeve of petri dishes...

if you only were working with one or two jars it might work, but i think in most cases that the amount of workspace a conventional oven provides is necessary.

Edited by honeyroasted (02/18/02 12:16 PM)

OfflineAreA
Stranger
Toaster Oven Experiment [Re: honeyroasted]
    #556699 - 02/19/02 08:01 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

HoneyRoast, true size I estimated was pretty much way off. I got off work Sunday and went to look. I saw about 4 options to choose from and 3 being WAY to small. I checked out the display of one that I thought might hold more than two jars, but not by much. maybe this one holds about 5, but seen that the ?heat lamp? was mounted at the top of the small oven and that it might touch the tops of the cans, making the lids very hot and maybe cracking the jars. These little ovens do reach the temperatures needed to do what needs to be done. A min. of 100? and max. of 450?. It costs $39.99. I would have got one just to see what happens? But the only one that had on display was all they had in stock. Well as I was walking off, I noticed a DEEP like crock pot looking, something and as I was reading it was a Bread Maker. If anyone has a bread maker, could you post some details on how it works and heats? If so what the temperatures range from? I think I might have found an even BETTER sterilizer alternative? Black & Decker Bread Maker. Hehe

Anno, I see what you are saying. I have not thought of using smoke to study air flow? Although I have set and pondered for hours and experimenting with.. yeah? baby powder, looking for a good source of product / chemical to use to study freaking air flow, smoke never come to my mind, cause I don?t smoke. Thanks for the idea and the help on that theory, but do you know what temperature that was at when the smoke was around?

Invisiblephrozendata
Carpal Tunnel

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Toaster Oven Experiment [Re: AreA]
    #556917 - 02/19/02 11:20 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

--------------------
"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving and that's your own self. So you have to begin there, not
outside, not on other people" - Aldous Huxley

OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

#556927 - 02/19/02 11:28 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

so you're saying the oven tek is garbage and is basically worthless?

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #557273 - 02/20/02 08:35 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Inspired by Anno's drive to test things, I did an experiment last night to try and disprove his observations. I setup my oven and kitchen just like my friend used to do when she was ready to innoculate some jars. Rather than using a smoke source to track drafts, I used a bubble blowing machine set to produce 1cm diameter soap bubbles. I do not own a camera, so no pics, sorry. The results were interesting.

1) bubbles released well above the work area floated up and away
2) bubbles released just over the work area split with some going up, some going down to the oven door, and the rest landing on my work surface. The work area created a lot of turbulant flow.
3) bubbles released just under the work area were not caught in an updraft. Most sank to the door or into the oven (wow!)
4) bubbles released near the floor mostly stayed near the floor
5) anytime I simulated work, bubbles would get stirred up and end up landing on my work area regardless of where the bubbles had been released (except for the ones released well above the work area).

Conclusion: Assuming that bubbles are a fair representation of contamination, the oven tek helps keep particles that are already airborn well above the workarea away from the work area. The oven tek does nothing to help keep particles that are near the work area away from the work area, and from looking at Annos smoke picture may actually be worse.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Toaster Oven Experiment [Re: phrozendata]
    #557282 - 02/20/02 08:44 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Ahh... that must explain why smoke always hovers near the ground instead of going up into the sky. -grin-

Maybe smoke only rises because it is hot.... hmmm...

Let's see... air is mostly nitrogen (N2, mw 28.0) with some oxygen (O2, mw 32.0) and a bit of carbon dioxide (CO2, mw 44.0). So smoke, which you claim is mostly carbon (C, mw 12.0) is heavier than the rest? (mw=molecular weight)

Large carbon chains, from burning pentane at STP for example, are heavier than air. Your average smoke particles are not.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Toaster Oven Experiment [Re: phrozendata]
    #557349 - 02/20/02 10:06 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

>smoking being mostly carbon and a lot of other stuff, is
>much heavier than air and the contaminates that float
>around in it.

If smoke would be carbon, it would be BLACK.

Smoke is often used to show currents, for instance in the aviation and weather forecast.

OfflineCubensis420
Sir Farts a Lot
Male

#5289874 - 02/11/06 07:59 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

yeh its true. incense smoke almost always goes down and forms a 'puddle' of smoke when i burn it. and i usually burn it in my room, which has horrible circulation and often gets really hot.

OfflineCubensis420
Sir Farts a Lot
Male

Re: Toaster Oven Experiment [Re: Cubensis420]
    #5289894 - 02/11/06 08:05 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

however it is possible that some cold air may be 'trapped' in the 'void' of space that is the inside of the jar. this might be causing that current into the jar.

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Toaster Oven Experiment [Re: Cubensis420]
    #5290031 - 02/11/06 08:43 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Congratulations Cubensis420,

You just resurrected a four year dead post.

OfflineCubensis420
Sir Farts a Lot
Male

Re: Toaster Oven Experiment [Re: shroomydan]
    #5290325 - 02/11/06 10:46 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

oops; sorry, im looking for more info on the oven tek... doesn't look like a useful tek so far..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies