Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebluetoad
Stranger
Large doses and death
    #549231 - 02/12/02 07:15 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

In a recent mushroom experience, I lost the instinct to breath, and had to keep reminding myself not to slip away. The longer I went without breathing, the more intense hallucinations became, so it was difficult to remember to keep myself alive. I was really comfortable with the thought of just slipping away, but knew I probably shouldn't - probably the only part of my ego left. Imagery and sounds would become stronger and stronger, especially closed-eye stuff, and I would keep realizing "hey, I haven't breathed for a while... I should probably do that." It also helped that a close friend was with me and was experiencing the same thing. We kept reminding eachother to keep coming back, especially since we wanted to experience things together, not just by ourselves.

Next time though, I want it to be by myself, and I'm a little worried about what will happen the closer I come to slipping away into unconsciousness. Do your survival instincts kick in? Is it possible to die? I'll be in a warm and safe place - I won't be going outside or anything. I think I'll practice belly breathing and lots of meditation beforehand. I'm not sure if it's a well-known technique, but sometimes when I meditate I try to focus on taking little flutters of air into my lungs with very long intervals, trying to slow my heart rate as much as possible and trying to shut down everything except my brain and heart. I've only managed to do it well a few times, but I think it would be a useful thing to do when on mushrooms. Does anyone have any advice on this sort of thing?

My first experience was on 3.5 grams, then I waited 2 weeks and ate 4.5 grams, and now I'm planning to wait another 2 or 3 weeks and eat my remaining 5 grams. Does that sound like an okay frequency?

I'd love to hear about anyone else's experiences with near-death or unconsciousness. Thanks in advance

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHBS
Male

Re: Large doses and death [Re: bluetoad]
    #549399 - 02/12/02 10:50 PM (15 years, 13 days ago)

First off, your breathing only seems distorted on a trip, shrooms don't affect your breathing -- your body can take care of itself. This weekend my friend took 3/8 of mushies and he kept telling me to call a poison control center because he was sure he OD'ed and couldn't breathe, but if he couldn't breathe then he wouldn't have been alive for the whole time hehe ... you are breathing fine, don't worry about it, it only feels like you can't breathe. First of all, you would have to eat your body weight (or some dose around that) worth of shrooms to die ... so no matter how much you take you should be physically fine. Take a lower dosage if you feel like you are slipping into unconsciousness.

You seem to be tripping fairly frequently, to keep the magic of trippin I'd say wait longer in between dosing, but it differs from person to person. personally I have always enjoyed a half to full eighth, no more no less ... though i have done really high doses and had near death experiences, I really hated them ... that's just me tho

Offlinecxz
enthusiast
    #549492 - 02/13/02 12:44 AM (15 years, 13 days ago)

You shouldn't worry about your breath. Its been doing its own thing for your whole life. Sometimes its good just to LET GO.

5 grams sounds good. Where do you plan to go when you does up?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #550073 - 02/13/02 03:03 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

I used to have this same problem during meditation. After an hour or two of sitting I would all the sudden realize I wasn't breathing. It had the same feel as swimming under water for much too long. In a panic I would "come to" gasping for air. After talking with my Sensei I realized this was just another trick that my ego was playing. Come to terms with your fear of death and your ego will no longer have this hold over you.

My friend claims that unless she waits a month or two between doses, the height of the trip is very diminished. The longer you wait, within reason, to eat the remaining dose, assuming good storage (no loss of potency) the better your experience will be.

Don't worry about near-death or unconsciousness. The more you fret, the more negative energy you will have to deal with during your trip. Find peace within yourself and think through what death really means. Once you realize that death is no big deal, doors will begin to open for you. A good mental exercise for this is to look at the world through dead eyes (as if you were dead).

During meditation, try for nothing. Let your mind empty. If you notice yourself thinking about something, just let it go... like a dream. Don't think to yourself that you are doing poorly or that you need to focus more. Just let whatever go and be. If you need a focus, feel the temperature change at the entrance of your nose as you breath in and out. Your body will take care of itself.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineCuckoosNest
addict
Loc: Northwest (shaped like a ...
Re: Large doses and death [Re: Seuss]
    #550254 - 02/13/02 05:29 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

You can not die from holding your own breath. If you did hold your breath long enough to the point where you passed out, your autonomic nervous system would take over and you would begin breathing again.

--------------------

"...Three geese in a flock. One flew east, And one flew west, And one flew over the cuckoo's nest."
Ken Kesey

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Large doses and death [Re: CuckoosNest]
    #550409 - 02/13/02 08:10 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

Show me that trick underwater...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineCuckoosNest
addict
Loc: Northwest (shaped like a ...
Re: Large doses and death [Re: Seuss]
    #550454 - 02/13/02 08:58 PM (15 years, 12 days ago)

alright, I will show it to you underwater. Probem is.....I would drowned.

--------------------

"...Three geese in a flock. One flew east, And one flew west, And one flew over the cuckoo's nest."
Ken Kesey

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
    #551035 - 02/14/02 10:44 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

breathing is a involuntary action. LOL.. trust me you was breathing...sounds like a nice trip though

--------------------

Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Waxahachie
    #552084 - 02/15/02 02:41 AM (15 years, 11 days ago)

Sounds like maybe your perception of time slowed down and these breathless intervals all happened in a few seconds, maybe? If shrooms could make you forget to breathe, I think we would have heard about it by now.

--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Offlinebluetoad
Stranger
Re: Large doses and death [Re: cxz]
    #553091 - 02/16/02 12:01 AM (15 years, 10 days ago)

cxz, right now I'm using them to help me out of an identity crisis. After ego death is complete (which hasn't become any less terrifying), I go from not understanding anything about who "I" am, to everything becoming crystal clear. I can look at anything in my life and make sense of it. Silly things, like my materialistic lifestyle, fears of doing what I want, fear of freedom, are brought to light and I can really think about solutions. Everything I think about before my ego takes back control I seem to be able to bring out of the experience. I never bring the whole perspective back, unfortunately... But I can at least remember things that I observed, which help me change.

I also like to go other places... But I haven't really figured out what or where these places are yet. Right now I need to be more comfortable with my internal dimensions before I can explore some of these amazing external dimensions. Perhaps this last 5 grams will have some lessons about both. :smile:

I think I'll take the advice of waiting a little longer though. A month would be good.

I'll experiment more with breathing and unconsciousness next time and tell you all what happens. The thought of death was never discomforting during the experience, it's just discomforting now. But I guess I have nothing to worry about. :smile: 

OfflineShroominSpradl
**ShroomerExtraordinaire**
    #561656 - 02/24/02 05:16 PM (15 years, 1 day ago)

i don't know about a lot of what everyone has posted but, from my personal experience yesterday i think it is definately possible to stop breathing for some people and that it can be very dangerous. i ate 4.5 grams of puerto rican aborts and had the most crazy and visual trip i had ever had for a couple hours, but then it was too much. my frinds said i passed out, turned yellow, and started convulsing. when i woke up everyone was freaked out, i had no idea who i was or they were, and i had a lot of trouble remembering to breathe. i wan't even really in my body or in reality so i wasn't concerned about dying, but my friends were. my instincts wanted me to go to sleep, but my friends thought i'd be a bad idea.. finally it started to wear down and i could walk again. i'll probably never eat that many shrooms again as it became very scary, even to the point where i thought i was supposed to kill someone. when you have no idea who you are, who your friends are, where you are, what body you are in, or what time you are in, nothing makes sense and it can be very dangerious pysically and mentally for yourself and everyone around you.

--------------------

All posts are merely fictional stories that I dreamt. Who woulda thought!

"Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle drugs."

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience