Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Critical Thinking
    #5128509 - 01/01/06 12:09 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

What does the ability to think critically mean to everyone here? Do you feel you understand the concept, and that you tend to practice it yourself?

Personally, I see it as the ability to focus on a specific task or thought process, to concern oneself with what is necessary within the circumstance, to effectively  "be on the ball", so to speak. I see it as the ability to properly understand and follow what is presented in the moment, to process thoughts and information completely..... etc. etc. etc. etc.

I sincerely question the majority's ability to think critically. We do not seem to realize the nature of our situation we are engaged in for what it can be evidenced to be, we cannot understand the manners in which others act towards us and to effectively interact with them as a result, and we cannot hold insightful discussions due to the fact that we obliviously tread unnecessary ground.

Perhaps our society's nature is such that we do not properly develop the ability to focus and to be aware of that which we are engaged in. Perhaps if we were more to the point, we'd have more energy and more mental resources to benefit ourselves, our goals, and our total experience of our environment and ourselves.

And what of this forum itself? The recent psychics vs. skeptics thread certainly provoked this subsequent thread. :lol: Personally, I wonder if I spend less time here because it consumes too much of it without enough gain. I even acknowledge the corncucopia of tire-spinning, uncriticalness that could ensue from such a statement. "Other people might be within a different space in which they are constantly accumulating a sufficent amount of gain"

Well no fuckin' duh, its implied by the word "personally", which I invoked regarding my statement, that my statement only refers to myself and my own experience. It should be quite obvious that other people are within different spaces within which they experience the same phenomenon differently and benefit from it in different manners, as that is a fundamental trait of the nature of different people being different. :smirk:

The most effective manner in which to undergo customer service is to think to oneself "How may I most painlessly and quickly dispense with you today?

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Critical Thinking [Re: fireworks_god]
    #5128512 - 01/01/06 12:11 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Also to be noted is that an increase in reading comprehension skills and also of the ability to effectively represent the precise idea that you wish to express will subsequently improve one's ability to think critically as well. :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #5128527 - 01/01/06 12:18 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I use critical thinking, but unfortunately I am very sloppy about it. :tongue: :grin: Happy New Years Firey workings of God.

Edited by Icelander (01/01/06 12:19 PM)

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
    #5128995 - 01/01/06 04:39 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

"Broadly speaking, critical thinking is concerned with reason, intellectual honesty, and open-mindedness, as opposed too emotionalism, intellectual laziness, and closed-mindedness.

Thus, critical thinking involves:

following evidence where it leads;
considering all possibilities;
relying on reason rather than emotion;
being precise;
considering a variety of possible viewpoints and explanations;
weighing the effects of motives and biases;
being concerned more with finding the truth than with being right;
not rejecting unpopular views out of hand;
being aware of one's own prejudices and biases,
and not allowing them to sway one's judgment."

--Daniel J. Kurman

I like this defintion.  It seems to cover all relevant applications of critical thinking skills.  :thumbup:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Critical Thinking [Re: Icelander]
    #5129128 - 01/01/06 05:56 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

I use critical thinking, but unfortunately I am very sloppy about it.

Philoslopical thinking?  :grin:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Critical Thinking [Re: Swami]
    #5129179 - 01/01/06 06:16 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I admit it. I seem to have good intuition about things but I can easily get carried away and off track. I never learned to discipline my mind as a young boy and now it's just like soup in there. :grin: I'm lucky I can post here at all.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Critical Thinking [Re: Veritas]
    #5129288 - 01/01/06 07:00 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

well that does decribe playing the "expected" roll;
but without running an effective intuitive/creative synthesis process at the same time for the critic to work against, the act is just empty posturing - a phony sham of critical thinking.

still if it is well performed, you can expect applause, and a repeat performance will follow soon, but it is still just an act.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleVeritas
 User Gallery
Re: Critical Thinking [Re: redgreenvines]
    #5129296 - 01/01/06 07:03 PM (18 years, 2 months ago)

Critical thinking and creative/intuitive thinking are both essential to whole-minded cognition.

No applause, please. :smirk:

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Critical Thinking [Re: Veritas]
    #5130479 - 01/02/06 05:20 AM (18 years, 2 months ago)

the critical thinking process is like acting out a character role or like reading from cue cards. ( the job of it is to remove traces that are not acceptible in context from all the other ideas circulating at the table (either in mind, or shared with other peopel in conversation like this) )

the intuitive process is like being stoned or dreaming, it is quite loose (it brings anything to the table and throws it on top of what is already there).

the 2 roles can be meshed to varying degrees:

when it gets creative, the mechanical but self reflective observations of the critic are considered along with the new combinations emerging from the dreamer's wide open cracks that let the unbounded in.

I feel it is important to recognize that the critic role is useful in combination with something else, and also that the creative role is a combination of the 2 roles critic and dreamer.

either of these roles alone are not as useful. but they can be encouraged to coil together like the twists of DNA producing generations of enchanted thought.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder