Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineCalen
journeyman
Re: Is thinking inefficient? [Re: ]
    #840105 - 08/24/02 10:06 AM (19 years, 30 days ago)

I wouldn't say your thinking is flawed. You came up with a very reasonable exception to my rule(s).

However, what your dog is doing and what other animals do is perceptual abstraction as opposed to conceptual abstraction which is why I chose the term that I did.

That would take us way off topic in this thread though.

If you are really interested in the difference between the two ways of thinking start a thread about it.

Animals cannot use reason because true reason involves concept-making. Which evidences itself in propositional speech.

There may be a reason why animals cannot. They don't have a the neo-cortex:

The protective social environment of the limbic brain made it possible for the offspring to be born before its brain size was fully accomplished. Evolution of a larger and larger brain permitted the full development of the neo-cortex in the present stage of human evolution. The neo-cortex permits higher functions of imitation; speaking, writing, planning and symbolic reasoning and conceptualization, all of which are functions of the neo-cortex
--http://www.emotional-literacy.com/triune.htm

The brain within the brain. The gyro of a robot mech. That alien driver in a guy's head in MIB movie.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Anonymous

Re: Is thinking inefficient? [Re: Calen]
    #843419 - 08/26/02 04:54 AM (19 years, 29 days ago)

You have good ideas I hope you will still be here when I get back from a few projects I have going on.

Cheers,

Offlinedeepr
the dancer

Loc: nzl
Re: Is thinking inefficient? [Re: ]
    #845125 - 08/26/02 07:41 PM (19 years, 28 days ago)

i dont think language ie:speech is an efficient medium for expression, do we think in words?
no we think in ideas and relate these to similar words that we have on offer to express our ideas.. its when we have complex thoughts not normally employed in day to day life that we come across barriers to true meaning, or when the weight of an occassion cannot be comprehended by mere vocal tones...

this is where telepathy might come in handy, but different electric signal byproducts of one individuals thoughts might not represent anything to another... maybe with practice we could hone the art of telepathy, all we need is an amplifier strapped to our head to pick up the mass of electric signals and relay them instantaneously (so theres no annoying lag like when your talking to someone on the other side of the world) by means of transmitter to the head of another individual where they can be processed and understood..

or maybe its good having private thoughts... imagine walking down the street, the deafening cacophony of paranoia and triviality coursing through your brain AAARRGGGHHH
ok maybe vocal language isnt that bad after all

Anonymous

Re: Is thinking inefficient? [Re: deepr]
    #859920 - 09/02/02 09:59 PM (19 years, 21 days ago)

At this point in time, I happen to be able to se both sides of this argument.
I agree that thinking in emotions would seem , in theory, to be a good idea, but to think in structured 'sentences' if you will, is more productive, for me anyway.
Since I do not have any diagnosed psychosis, I have only experienced 'thought words' when i had mushrooms in doese over 3 grms.
im a light doser, if I do dose at all.
But, i digress, the thought words are very visceral, but take a lot of energy to hold, and no one is able to see , or, understand, what I am thining, that type of computer/chip/ whatever doesnt exist for public use , yet.
Also, it is a bit disorienting trying to hold on to the smell of the most perect cut lawn, or wet hair, while driving a truck, or using a rapidograph. I have broken more nibs on shrooms...but the crayon that are broken still work.
i don t know where i am going with this, i usually dont post while smoking, so, ...I'll just end this here.
-OoD

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: Is thinking inefficient? [Re: Anonymous]
    #862639 - 09/04/02 02:16 AM (19 years, 20 days ago)

We don't think in language, we convert our thoughts to language. We can act without speaking in our minds very fast if we need to, we usually dont need to. If you raised a child, and give him a 540 character long word that meant "Oh shit a bus is coming" and drive a bus at him, he wouldnt wait 30 mins while saying that word before he moved.

However I think its easier to remember things when repeated mentally... What you think is so...unique each time you have a thought, and I personally think that recreating that thought would be hard without seeing something, or observing something that reminded you of it...So when you repeat it, you will have translated it into words at the time, and be able to check back on that same thought without having to trigger the whole proccess over

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
Re: Is thinking inefficient? [Re: PsilosKube]
    #862640 - 09/04/02 02:19 AM (19 years, 20 days ago)

We use it because we teach or children that THIS (Life as a sociaty) is how it has to be. Children are pure, not supressing. No anger or hate. Frustration maybe, but that is generated by users of THIS.

And THIS came fort from the I in you. The ego. The voice, is the ego. The ego is a logical reaction to the THIS.

Understand?

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom