Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno
    #737510 - 07/10/02 05:50 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: What do you think happens after death? [Re: ]
    #737533 - 07/10/02 06:00 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I think several things can happen.

If someone is so attached to their life, and die suddenly, and cannot come to grips with their death, their soul, or consciousness, may leave their body, but they will continue living in the physical world like they were still physical. I believe this is what we call ghosts.

For the majority, this is my belief
The soul leaves the body. From there it enters into the "other side", where it reviews its life, the lessons learned, and compares the lessons learned to what it chose to learn when it first entered that incarnation. The spirit then cogitates, or absorbs all of the wisdom it has gained through its life experiences. This cogitation period is an indefinete amount of time.. it could be days or years or millenia.. whenever that spirit is ready.
After that, the spirit has a choice. It can enter into the essence of "God", the light, the collective wisdom of all beings in the universe, merging into it as one. However, a certain amount of spiritual wisdom is neccessary for merging with the Great Spirit after a physical incarnation, so young, spiritually immature souls still need to gain more experience before they can.
The second choice would be to enter a new incarnation, aka.. be reborn into the physical world. Thereby starting a new life with all of the wisdom of the previous lifetimes in the subconscious. New experiences = new wisdom and more things learned to bring back to the other side.

That's my basic belief of what happens after death.

Anonymous

#737535 - 07/10/02 06:01 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Life goes on without you.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
    #737561 - 07/10/02 06:15 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

In reality, I think the answer is nothing. You are just gone. That's it. No heaven, no hell, no God nor Devil.

But sometimes I like to fantasize and think that we may actually have these things called souls. My belief about this fantasy is similar to Shroomism's, in that after dying, the soul moves on, and based on what it has learned, experienced, and done with its life; it either reincarnates to live again or moves on to something higher.
My basis for these thoughts is simply things I have seen or heard about people who have had out of body experiences, especially during a near death occurrence. I've also read books by respectable authors who claimed they felt the presence of a dead loved one's spirit close to them after the loved one had died.

I guess we will never know until we experience it for ourselves though

--------------------
Namaste.

InvisiblethePatient
Criminal Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: Indiana
Re: What do you think happens after death? [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #737701 - 07/10/02 07:08 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I once watched a movie, that after you died you were just dead. Then this guy called the "Tall Man" came around digging up graves and destroying, or running out the people of the town. Then he would move the bodies back to this funeral home, which was almost like a temple, where he would "smoosh" down your body to midget size and stuff you into a canister. After you were in this canister, he would then proceed to hurl you through a gateway that lead to another dimension. This dimension was almost colorless, mainly red tinted colors. By the way it looked, the dimension had wind, yet you felt no wind upon your skin. So basically he would compact bodies down and toss them into another dimension. (Like a Trash Dump). Which would explain why we havent been over-run by graves yet.
I watched this movie as a child, and i think it warped my mind. It sure changed the way i looked at things.
"You think when you die you go to god? **evil laugh** You come to us!" - exact quote.

--------------------
T h e r e  a r e  n o  o r d i n a r y  m o m e n t s.

OfflineAdamist
ℚṲℰϟ✞ЇѺℵ ℛ∃Åʟḯ†У
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Re: What do you think happens after death? [Re: thePatient]
    #737722 - 07/10/02 07:18 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I don't really have an idea besides what's already out there...
I mean I've never had an actual near-death experience.
But I would imagine you would gravitate towards a Source, probablly a star, and re-merge with it. And at this point your soul would decide on the next course of action, and be sent on another journey of divine will into some incarnation or another throughout the universe...
*shrugs*

--------------------
:heartpump: { { { ṧ◎ηḯ¢ αʟ¢ℌ℮мƴ } } } :heartpump:

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #737889 - 07/10/02 09:07 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The same thing that happens to a light when you turn it off.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (07/12/02 04:06 PM)

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

#738035 - 07/11/02 12:17 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I have two seemingly conflicting "theories" at the moment.

The first has something to do with balance; balance must be maintained. When we are alive, we are "aware". When we die, we are "unaware". So, sort of like Swami's lightbulb thing I guess.

My other thought is this: Energy is never destroyed, it merely changes forms. The energy that composes the human mind does not simply turn off, but shifts, or leaves the vessel, or whatever. Still not looking too good for "awareness", but maybe sometime you are reconstituted elsewhere, in another form, or something along those lines. Slightly more optimistic, but doesn't sound like a party either.

Whatever. When you're dead, you're dead. Worry about it then, if you can.

--------------------

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #738094 - 07/11/02 01:44 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

maybe...
if you have learned the lessons that can be learned by being human...
you can opt out...
no more wheel of death & rebirth...
nirvana means "blown out" like the flame of a candle...
or maybe...
if you have not finished your learning...
or have unfinished business...
or truly wish to return to work towards the liberation of all sentient beings...
you (or something like you ...)
returns once more...
incarnates into flesh...
dances again with other beings of flesh (and within each being the flame of.. what? buddha-nature? sentience? possibilities limited or unlimited (opinions vary )...
or...
maybe not...
ymmv...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
    #738135 - 07/11/02 02:40 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Well, from what I've heard - people are put in these big wooden boxes after they die, which are then burried six feet in the ground...after which they become little more then maggot food.

Oh wait, you're referring to souls and shit aintcha? If that's the case - chalk me up for reincarnation. Yeah, I'm a firm believer that when you do finally kick the bucket your spirit drops your dead ass like yesterday's news, and takes up residence in some bitches cunt and waits for some dude to bust a nut all up in there.

Alright, so maybe it's not quite like that...but you get the point.

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

Anonymous

#738359 - 07/11/02 05:27 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

What is death?

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: What do you think happens after death? [Re: thePatient]
    #738398 - 07/11/02 05:40 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

The movie is named 'Phantasm,' There was a Phantasm II also. The 'red' dimension was an allusion to Hell - another dimension, staffed with recycled demons constructed of [damned] humans. Rent it again (or we'll send a flying orb to drill out your brain) Try not to take the movies too seriously, OK.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #738509 - 07/11/02 06:34 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

For much of human history, the answer has been: it depends on how you have lived your life. That is to say, how prepared one is at the moment of death, and whether one is blessed with time to prepare for the transition. Being blown up, for example, suddenly would be a shock, and unless there is a gradually withdrawal of consciousness from the physical body to a more subtle body, disorientation would theoretically occur (theoretically by certain Buddhist, Hindu and Western occult systems that draw on the aforementioned traditions).

Much of Judeao-Christian belief on 'how you have lived your life,' is simply understood in a mundane moral sense. 'If I am good, I go to Heaven.' Wrong. If I live the life of Heaven, while yet in the body, I will be good (moral). In other words, if I live from a Sacred Center - if I act from a Compassionate Heart - then I am living the life of the Blessed, from a Christian or Buddhist perspective. One is transformed here and now. One comes to REALIZE - to make Real a Center of motivation which is Divine, Godly, and allow That Center to be one's 'inner gyroscope' for every action in life.

The Tibetan Buddhists have paid special attention to the process of dying. Since the rational, discursive mind begins to decay during dying, the Goal or Direction must be firmly incorporated into one's personality. This incorporation requires a lifetime of preparation. The Great Mantra, Om Mani Padma Hum, for example was everywhere in Tibet (when there was a Tibet). The Clear Light of the Void was taught from childhood as being one's very own mind. With death, the falling away of one's sense perceptions, thinking mind, emotions, lays bare the Ultimate Nature which is spoken of as sound (Great Mantra) and Light. Ignore the phantasies of sex and monsters (rebirth and Hell) - they are illusory - focus on the Mantric Light.

Similarly, though certainly not explained to most 'Christians,' the Word and the Light is the Ultimate Nature. It is the Logos - it is Christ. A lifetime of incorporating, [corpus=body] i.e., 'receiving the Body and Blood of Christ,' is intended to accomplish the same REALIZATION. However, most Christian believe that this happens at death. Since we never know when we die, this Realization needs to be in place - NOW. I do not mean that we necessarily have to receive communion at church. This ritual symbolizes the central process of spiritual life - equivalent to breathing - the central process of our physical life. Both processes are 'pneumatic' [pneuma=breath=spirit]. In fact, the Orthodox Prayer of the Heart seeks to merge the Words of prayer with the breath and heartbeat so that eventally the Heart 'beats' out the syllables of prayer, thus incorporating Christ (Word-Light) into the Center of one's psycho-physical-spiritual nature. Our Heart "prays without ceasing," and we are ready for Ultimate Communion at death.

Bottom line: The Boyscouts' of America motto - "BE PREPARED" What will it be like? Depends on to what extent we have become like unto the Light, because the rest of our being will be 'incinerated.' People who breath super-oxygenated water for deep-sea diving ARE able to breath the water, but the initial filling of the lungs is met with utter panic of suffocation, and the diver must be restrained while convulsing. Peace and breathing follows. Ego death hurts - peace follows. As Plotinus said, "Only eyes that have become like unto the sun can look into the sun." The evil will not be Children of Light. To them I am convinced, the Light of the Godhead will come as Hell Fire.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
    #738780 - 07/11/02 08:21 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Waves of violet go crashing and laughing
The rainbow winged singing birds fly 'round the sun
Sun bells rain down in a liquid profusion
Mermaids on porpoises draw up the dawn

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

OfflineTeKHeAD009
Stranger
    #738988 - 07/11/02 09:22 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

--The 'soul' lives on without its physical body.
--Eventuially their will be a great trial and if your name is in the book of life your sent to heaven to live eturnally in happiness. If your name is not - well then to hell your cast into the lake of fire with grinding and gnashing of teeth and all that good stuff. :^)
--I'm a little shakey on that second part... I know the soul lives on, but I'm not sure if you waite around for that trial, or if you head their right away, or if you remain clutching to your physical life if you were shocked into death.
--Great thing to contimplate while tripping. That sounds kinda like a harsh thing to think about while under the influence. I'm not suicidal or anything - not suicidal thoughts - just thinking about what happens after death. One time I looked at my hand and realised that I'm attached to this 'physical body'. Thats when I started thinking about it. Anyone else had that?

Offlinesynic
Re: What do you think happens after death? *DELETED* [Re: ]
    #739158 - 07/11/02 10:38 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by synic

Reason for deletion: asdf

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #739395 - 07/11/02 12:20 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

My life insurance will be cashed in and a sweet little lady will be driving a new Mercedes (after an appropriate mourning period, of course).

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleXibalba
Stranger
    #741306 - 07/12/02 09:26 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Same stuff that happens before death, except you're not around to experience it. And what it's like to be dead is the same as what it's like to not be born yet. It's so obvious, but gives most people a hard time for some reason...

By the way, I hate it when people try to use the "Energy cannot be created or destroyed" quote to argue for an afterlife. If you want to believe something mystical based on -faith- I have no problem with that. But the "energy" statement comes from science, and to apply scientific language to spiritual matters is known as "pseudoscience." Something I can't stand.
Your brain contains chemical energy, electrical energy, and heat energy. Just a couple watts. When you die, the new form that all of that energy changes into is 'waste heat' and it is absorbed by the cold metal of the morgue tray, finally used to evaporate the freon in the refrigeration system.

What you're really talking about is not energy but -information-, and information theory gets a little more complicated than thermodynamics- but basically, information (like the contents of your mind) can be both created and destroyed.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: What do you think happens after death? [Re: Xibalba]
    #741519 - 07/12/02 10:56 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

DING DING DING

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineShroomalicious
You may say I'ma dreamer...

Loc: The Shire
Re: What do you think happens after death? [Re: Xibalba]
    #741704 - 07/12/02 12:51 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

But the "energy" statement comes from science, and to apply scientific language to spiritual matters is known as "pseudoscience." Something I can't stand.

IMO, I think philosophy is best when given consideration to Science and Faith. To me life is made up of little balances. Just my thoughts.

--------------------
Shroomalicious - :smile: I love you and in doing so I love myself, because we ARE all one :smile: - "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth leaves the whole world blind and toothless". - Mahatma Ghandi

InvisibleUlysees
Power of Lard

Re: What do you think happens after death? [Re: Shroomalicious]
    #741862 - 07/12/02 01:50 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I would tend to agree, but in this case I can see his point quite clearly.

--------------------

Invisibletak_old
Endo Smoke

Loc: State of confusion
Re: What do you think happens after death? [Re: Ulysees]
    #743770 - 07/13/02 12:53 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Whatever you want ;]

OfflineArisEve
My Chronic

Loc: Use a GPS if ya wanna kno...
    #743797 - 07/13/02 01:07 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Energy can never be depleated nor destroyed...

--------------------
Simple pleasures in life are only to momentarily distract you from the obviousness of lifes reality...

-ArisEve

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #747000 - 07/15/02 01:46 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

I am not realy sure, but all I can tell you that one day you will answer that question your self.

--------------------

Offlinellib
journeyman
Loc: florida
Re: What do you think happens after death? [Re: synic]
    #748842 - 07/15/02 04:55 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

the essence of being human and the default reason that even the atheist must believe in a god of some sort.
the rational human mind, while we have created a defintion of infinity can not comprehend infinity.
we can not as humans comprehend something without a beginning and an end. What was there before the big bang theory......ether?

OfflinegEoKiD
Stranger
    #749838 - 07/16/02 02:52 AM (21 years, 8 months ago)

it seems there is no point in life, so there probably is no point in death or mybe we shouldnt call it death, but rebirth into pure creation or realization. i fantasize what my death will look like but i think it will be one of those really cool things that you plan and plan for but takes you by surprise like imagining what your destination vacation on earth will look like before you get there. i think we dont remmeber for a reason, cause it is not necassary for the experiment on how conscious we can demenstrate our creations through thought word and deed. thats it i think, thats the big meaning. i bet none of it matters when you die and its a big sigh of relief, then its back to your dream life. you see i see earth as merely a harder difficulty setting for getting wjat you want which deep down our souls like this cycle cause its always ok in the end and you appreciate life even more.

Offlinefrancisco
Richman Sporeman
Loc: USA
    #751098 - 07/16/02 01:25 PM (21 years, 8 months ago)

Life after life to perfection.

--------------------
Well...Maybe just a little.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom