Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Very old nasty mushrooms, Gymnopilus spp maybe??
    #465566 - 11/21/01 11:43 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Found clusters of these everywhere on very old oak stumps(I think it was oak) but they are all too dried and moldy to really tell what they are. My guess is they are some type of Gym. species, which one I have no clue. Maybe someone who picks Gyms regularly and has seen them in dry and moldy stages could tell me if these are even Gyms or not.

LK,

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

Loc: Philadelphia/NYC
Re: Very old nasty mushrooms, Gymnopilus spp maybe?? [Re: Lizard King]
    #465630 - 11/21/01 01:13 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know what those things are, but they are definetly not Gyms. At least not any kind of Gym I've ever seen. Gyms are a brilliant yellow-yellow/orange color and have huge broad caps 3-5" across. In my experience, they tend to decompose very quickly, so it is unlikely that you would ever find Gyms in that kind of moldy state. They do grow on Oak stumps, but only ones that are very decomposed and wet, to the point that if you stick your finger into the wood, it will leave an indentation. I would like to know what those things are though.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Very old nasty mushrooms, Gymnopilus spp maybe?? [Re: superpimp]
    #465635 - 11/21/01 01:21 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Nothing is decomposing in this state lately, is soooo freaking dry, we've had the humidity of a desert here lately. Every mushrooms I've seen in the last month and a half is still where I seen it last, just dried out and moldy. Not only is there not enough humidity to fruit, theres not enough for them to rot either. I still think these are some type of Gym possibly, I know they aren't G. spectabilus, but maybe another species. The mushrooms were orange/yellow in color they are just extremely old, and not all Gyms have orange caps. These also have orange gills. I just thought to myself, hmmm, they grow on very old decomposing oak stumps in the fall, they grow clustered from a common base, and they have orange gills, might be a type of Gym??

--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (11/21/01 01:23 PM)

Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

#465698 - 11/21/01 02:47 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Where abouts are you? I'm in SE Penn., and I did not find one single goddamn mushroom all season. Not even in the deep woods. There is a spot I know in a pine forest that has more Amanitas than anyplace I've ever seen, and I checked the spot every few days from Augus till last weekend, and there was never a mushroom to be found. It is so dry here that I couldn't even harvest half as much Calimus root as I usually do in the fall, and that stuff grows right near a lake. We need rain!

OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
    #465752 - 11/21/01 03:47 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Only 'shrooms found in Kentucky was right after a rainy week way back in August. Worst year yet.

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Offlineufotofu420
Stranger
    #465865 - 11/21/01 05:28 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

move to washington you guys, we got plenty o fruits to go around.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Very old nasty mushrooms, Gymnopilus spp maybe?? [Re: ufotofu420]
    #465877 - 11/21/01 05:39 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Nah, I am happy with my own shroom paradise, but I will visit the PNW and pick all your mushrooms next year :) Shit, I found plenty of funguys this year, plenty!! I picked almost a quarter lb dried of weilii from one patch alone this year, not to mention the cubies subbs and new species I found :) This drought has only been recent, the magic was plentiful form febuary on in to october this year, usually they'll fruit till mid november, but this dry spell has put an early end to season this year.

Anyways, anyone else have any ideas on the above picture??

--------------------

Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

#465887 - 11/21/01 05:52 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I live in the shittiest mushroom state in the country, and thats a fact!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #465893 - 11/21/01 06:06 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

LK- If we get some rain like we're supposed to on friday/saturday, do you think there is any possiblilty of finding gyms.. or has it been too cold??

Peace out,
-Gumby

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #469225 - 11/25/01 01:28 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry to hear about the rough weather up there :)

Those mushrooms aren't anything Gymnopilus.

Keep shroomin,
ggreatone

Invisiblesuperpimp
The boss of thefamily

#469349 - 11/25/01 03:35 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I have been looking though my Mushroom Hunting Field Guide, and the closest thing I can find to what you have in your pics, is the Bitter Pholiota(Pholiota astragalina). It has a bright orange cap with yellowish gills and stalk and fades to a pinkish-orange. Cap 1-2", bell shaped, stalk 2-4" long, 1/4" thick, hollow. Spore prints are brown, and it bruises brown, and it grows on coniferous stumps from Aug-Oct from Canada to North Carolina. Let me know I this sounds like your mushrooms.

Anonymous

#469802 - 11/26/01 05:17 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

There are hundreds of species of mushrooms that grow off stumps. The odds of random findings being that one specie you seek are very remote indeed!

I don't know what those are but if you want to correctly id them, you need fresh specimens.

OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Re: Very old nasty mushrooms, Gymnopilus spp maybe?? [Re: ]
    #469811 - 11/26/01 06:36 AM (22 years, 4 months ago)

I know I'll need fresh specimens, if I could find any I would pick em, but its been very dry here for a few months now. And no, my possibilities of finding what I'm looking for is not remote, I have very good luck finding what I;m after. And yes, I know how many different species grow from rotted logs, I'm far past the point of neededing pre-school advice from Captn max :) I simply found some mushrooms I couldn't ID, I thought they could be some TYPE of Gym, not big laughing gyms, and I figured someone who is very familar with Gyms might recognize these in their battered state. If your not familar with Gyms or even have an idea what these mushrooms might be, you know nothing more than I do, and you really need not reply.

--------------------

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #469984 - 11/26/01 12:10 PM (22 years, 4 months ago)

Lizard, did you ever get a hold of a decent Microscope?
-Id like to have one of those

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract