Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Bluing mushrooms, possibly a Gymnopilus spp (PICS)
    #717837 -

Found some mushrooms today while browsing the blueberry patch at my property. The blueberries are about done for the year, but there are mushrooms growing all over the blueberry patch under the bushes. I found about 5 bluing mushrooms that appear to be some type of Gymnopilus. My question is which species of Gym is it, or is it even a gym at all. I suspect they are active, not only because of the bluing but because the smell, I swear I can smell magic, and these are very magic smelling

Maybe a new bluing species of Gymnopilus?? Anyone have any ideas?

















LK,


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bluing mushrooms, possibly a Gymnopilus spp (PICS) [Re: Lizard King]
    #717845 -

nice find, i have no idea about what they are....they look cool and i can easliy see the bluing? i guess we'll have to wait and see what mj has to say, or maybe your on something new.... your the man lizard.......

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bluing mushrooms, possibly a Gymnopilus spp (PICS) [Re: Lizard King]
    #718098 -

..Looks like a Gilled-Bolete..

Gymno's have rusty orange spore prints.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bluing mushrooms, possibly a Gymnopilus spp (PICS) [Re: Sporz]
    #718262 -

It is either Lactarius deliciosus, an edible species...or a gymnopilus..not sure which one. For Lactarius it will have a yellowish, creamy sporeprint and gymnopolis well you know...orange rusty brown. Nice pics LK, and some beautiful mushrooms.

Cheers


--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bluing mushrooms, possibly a Gymnopilus spp (PICS) [Re: Lizard King]
    #718279 -

Wtf. I found a small clump of mushrooms in my yard that looked dead up like that one.. I'm all colorblind and shit and can't tell if they bruised blue, though.. sigh.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bluing mushrooms, possibly a Gymnopilus spp (PICS) [Re: StInvetroThomas]
    #718295 -

I don't think there is a such thing as a gilled bolete, is there? Its not a lactarius, I am certain of that. Good guesses though, anyone else have an idea? It definitely blues, its not a green or a green blue, its blue, and like I said it has that "smell" about it that peaks my interest.

I've always been under the understanding that if it has gills and stains blue its active. I don't go by this as a sure fire rule though, and these mushrooms do have a suspicious look about 'em, I wouldn't eat them just because of the blue stains. But it does seem likely these could be psilocybin/cin active. They have the scaley cap like a gymno, the size and stature of a gymno?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bluing mushrooms, possibly a Gymnopilus spp (PICS) [Re: Lizard King]
    #719102 -

while jims are sposed to grow in my area i have yet to identify one. lactarius are so named because they exude a milky substance, since i see no evidence of this, it rules these out. spore print color?

i'm allways leary of non-purplish sporeprints. there are several genera that have active members with non-purple prints, but they are difficult to ident to species without microscopic exam. I too was to believe that bluing gilled mushrooms are all active. see if a chunk turns rapidly blue with hydrogen peroxide in a blender. the oxeygen from the peroxide reacts with psilocin and gives a quick cheap and fairly reliable indication. there may be an exception, but i don't know of one that turns blue-jenes-blue in peroxide and is not active amoung gilled mushrooms.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bluing mushrooms, possibly a Gymnopilus spp (PICS) [Re: tchyted]
    #719458 -

Yerah LK it may very well be a gilled bolete, if you rule this out then it is gymnopilus. Look up phylloporus rhodoxanthus..this one looks like yours, and is edible.

Cheers


--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bluing mushrooms, possibly a Gymnopilus spp (PICS) [Re: Lizard King]
    #719489 -

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bluing mushrooms, possibly a Gymnopilus spp (PICS) [Re: ]
    #719666 -

Now that is an ID I'll go with, you nailed it Saint! I never thought there was a such thing as a gilled bolete, learn something new about mushrooms all the time This is the first gilled blue stainer that I have found that wasn';t magic, a great find nonetheless! One to keep in my archives for show and tell in future discusions!

Had I thumbed through the good ole Audubon a few more pages I would have identified it myself, oh well, everyone needs a hand every now and again Thanks for the help everyone!


LK,

I knew that gyms didn't stain so intense or rapid, which is why I asked in my original post whether or not it was even a gym at all.


--------------------

Edited by Lizard King (07/03/02 06:45 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Bluing mushrooms, possibly a Gymnopilus spp (PICS) [Re: Lizard King]
    #719876 -

Cheers...glad I could be of service LK...from one relentless hunter to another, God knows you have helped me with my huntin.

Cheers


--------------------
"...I found dozens of single specimens.  That's what I call hunting.  There are only a few "good" hunters here, even now.  You're certainly in that group.  I would imagine if we hunted together we'd find our styles are similar."
- Mr. Mushrooms

RIP Matt, your friendship and your contributions to the world of fungi will be missed. Unfortunately we never got to hunt together.

St Thomas

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* bluing mushroom in sydney, australia. jimbu 3,369 16 05/01/03 12:31 PM
by MagmaManiac
* Bluing Mushroom in Texas cen_tex_looker 2,034 7 07/09/02 09:44 PM
by angryshroom
* An interesting mushroom with blue mycelium(pics) doo 2,264 7 06/07/01 06:14 PM
by oO_wombat_Oo
* found mushrooms possible lib caps Iowa Rasta 2,530 5 06/07/02 05:36 AM
by StInvetroThomas
* Ps. weilii and possibly Ps. atlantis(PICS) Lizard King 2,313 3 08/07/01 09:35 PM
by Lizard King
* New species, or possibly Ps. mammillata?(pics)
( 1 2 all )
Lizard King 6,059 22 10/27/07 12:04 AM
by robbyberto
* Need ID on bluing mushrooms in the Pac NW.. OJ 3,681 13 12/06/02 12:29 AM
by OJ
* TN Mushroom, LOTZ, no ID (*PICS*) AreA 2,453 5 10/20/02 12:46 PM
by falcon

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
3,747 topic views. 0 members, 44 guests and 48 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.028 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 14 queries.