Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: What State and Country has Psilocybian Mushrooms? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #79860 - 08/03/99 06:19 PM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Conduitdan,

pretty hot in Arizona. If there are any mushrooms there, ANdy Weil probably knows where but I have only two species identified from this staate.

Gymnopilus sapineus and
Gymnopilus spectabilis.

Mj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #79863 - 08/05/99 04:25 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Hi Iron Lung,
Gymnopilus aeruginosus is reported from Pennsylvania.

However I expect that
Psilocybe caerulipes is in the area somewhere.

Stoner, here are the reported species for Vermont.

Gymnopilus liquiritae,
G. sapineus,
G. spectabilis,
and according to Stamets,
Psilocybe azurescens.

The latter introduced outdoors from either Washhington or Oregon State.

I also believe that Panaeolus subbalteatus is in Vermont since it is popular in Maine amongst a certain group of Maine Lopster Fisherman who use it in an annual festival.

Mj.

Anonymous

#79861 - 08/05/99 10:20 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Hey MJ sounds like u no your shit. But u said that there is only one type of shroom growin in Pennslyvania. Do u no therewhere abouts to find em. Cause i dont really feel like buying em from a dealer for my first trip. Thanx a lot.

Offlinestoner
journeyman
    #79862 - 08/05/99 10:50 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

have any listings for Vermont?, preferably Southern Vermont. Also where should I look for these species.

Anonymous

#79864 - 08/06/99 10:12 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Ok peps. Well I don't really care what the species is. But thanx for telling me, MJShroomer. What I really wanted to know was where they are growing. Like where I can find them here in PA. It does me no good what-so-ever just knowing the species name. PLEASE help me out with this cause I want shrooms and i dont wanna buy em off a dealer cause of the laceage factor. Also Im too lazy to grow em. Thanx again yo.

Anonymous

#79865 - 08/08/99 12:44 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

How about Boulder, Colorado. Everybody says there are hardly any, but i see alot of mushrooms in yards and grassy areas. Thanks

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #79866 - 08/08/99 12:00 PM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Hey Iron Lung, Buy a guide. Orson K. Miller's book or Joseph amiratti. Both show Gymnoopilus species which are in your region.

Psilocybe caerulipes is pictured in one of Smith and Miller's guides to midwestern and eastern america. then check that against the species I named. You might even find some photographs.

Hi Yoda, Colorado. Well I answered this in another topic some where but one more time for Colorado. Go to the Telluride mushroom festival. I think theres a topic in the forums somewhere from the last ten days.

Concocybe cyanopus,
Gymnopilus sapineus and
Panaeolus papilionaceus, A species similar to Panaeolus subbalteatus.

Have a great foray

Mj.

Invisiblesporeman
enthusiast
Loc: WA
    #79867 - 08/09/99 06:12 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Well i know of the main kinds of shrooms in WA but theres a bunch i should identify this year that would be way easier to have a little list....shoot :wink:

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #79868 - 08/09/99 07:22 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Well according to my paper, Washington State has 2 mushrooms less than Oregon State.

Ok, here are the species for Washington (24 species):

Amanita muscaria, A. pantherina;
Conocybe cyanopus, C. smithii;
Gymnopilus aeruginosus, G. brandlei, G. luteofolius, G. sapineus, G. spectabilis, G. viridans;
Mycena cyanorhizza;
Panaeolus fimicola, P. papilionaceus, P. subbalteatus;
Psilocybe baeocystis, P. cyanafibrillosa, P. cyanescens, P. fimetaria, P. liniformans var. americana, P. pelliculosa, P. semilanceata, P. silvatica, P. strictipes, P. stuntzii.

And of course the newly introduced species from Oregon: Psilocybe azurescens and the non-hallucinogenic Panaeolina foenisecii.

Mj

Anonymous

#79869 - 08/09/99 02:19 PM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Hello mjshroomer. I have a question for you, you seem to know your mushrooms well. I read in 1994 Audobon field guide that Hygrocybe conica (Hygrophorous conicus) is a hallucinogenic mushroom that is "eaten by many people" is that true? Also, what are the hallucinogenic species that can be found in the central latitude of Wisconsin? And, can you recomend a good identification book(s)? If you could help me out, it sure would be appreciated! Thanks

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #79870 - 08/09/99 06:31 PM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Well, there seems to be a good group of shroomers from Wisconsin who frequent the Shroomery. I think this is great.

According to Stamets, Psilocybe azurescens has been seeded into Wisconsin.

Since Wisconsin is a big dairy country there are obviously numerous large dairy farms and cattle throughout much of the Southern half of the state.

I have hear rumors of Liberty caps being found in this state, and also of P. pelliculosa.

I am sure of Amanita because it is in Michigan and Southern Ontario.

I hope this is helpful and for books Orson Miller's book or Smith and Weber-Smith;s guide to Midwestern mushrooms is excellant.

Lindcoff has a few errors in his guide and I do not beleive that the mushroom you ask me about is a psychoactive species. There is nothing in the literature to suggest that it is.

When he labeled Psilocybe stuntzii as "Stuntzi's Blue Legs" I asked him where he heard this name from and he told me he had made it up for lack of something better.

Andrew Weil referred to the same mushrooms as "Washington Blue Veils" No one has ever heard anyone refer to P. stuntzii as that.

Its common name is "blue ringers."

Mj

Anonymous

#79871 - 08/10/99 02:04 PM (24 years, 7 months ago)

When is a good season to look for those fungi? It has been about 70 degrees or cooler, for the past week, and we have had a lot of rain, too. There are a lot of patches of mycelia in the woods that have broken through the dirt, suggesting a lot of fungal growth in the area. The only fungi I have seen though, are little mushrooms like waxy caps. I hope that helps a bit.

Anonymous

#79872 - 08/14/99 08:21 PM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Hey MJ!You posted that the're psyhco shrooms in VA which region do you know?

Anonymous

#79873 - 08/14/99 10:40 PM (24 years, 7 months ago)

I think i'm going to try and search out some psilocybe caerulipes here in pa.. but my question is where should I look.. I know it grows on wood/wood chips but does that mean I should just go walking in the woods looking for this species?

Any advice or tips on the actual process of finding mushrooms would be great.

I also live around a couple farms, any dung lovers around the Pa area?

OfflineBurnt
Pooh-Bah
    #79874 - 08/15/99 11:15 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Do you know if any grow on long island???

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #79875 - 08/15/99 07:05 PM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Its possible that there could be some species in Long Island because there are more than 13 species of psilocybian fungi identified from NEw York. The most popular species the liberty cap has been collected in pastures in New York.

Psilocybe caerulipes grows along strams and riverbank areas on the East Coast including New Yok and if there are any lgging clear cuts you can fin Psilocybe silvatica, a species which resembles Psilocybe pelliculosa (the woodland liberty cap).

There are also several varieties of Gymnopilus which grow on rotted wood and dead tree stumps. and of Course Panaeolus subbalteatus, a rotted hay and sometimes in manure species.

All I can say is do not under any set of circumstances eat any wild mushroom if if does not stain blue.

Oh Gary Lincoff (editor of the Audubon Mushroom Field Guide) has collected Gymnopilus species in Central Park in the fall. so look around during this rainy time and see what you can find.

Take your collections to the New York Botanical Gardens and people there would be more than happy to tell you what you have picked.

Mj.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #79877 - 08/16/99 06:28 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Well when any mushroom which contains the psychomimetic alkaloids psilocin or psilocybin is damaged whether from human handling or from natural elements (wind, rain, falling leaves insect or animal bites from chewing and feeding onthese shrooms) They tend to turn blue or blue-green or azure-blue.

THis tells you that the mushroom you have just picked and handled most likely has psilocybin in it.

If it does't stain blue then don't eat it.

While Seattle has 18 species. 6-7 of theeose species are common as ice cream ata an icecream parlour.

We find ours in a man made environment.

Y0ou in New York have a lot to look at,

Good Luck

Mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #79878 - 08/16/99 06:28 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

Exactly what I aid above,
mj

[This message has been edited by mjshroomer (edited August 17, 1999).]

Anonymous

#79879 - 08/16/99 09:38 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

What confuses me most about the whole thing is, why does NY have so many species there and Pa (a very closeby state) has only 2 species?

I wish there were some liberty caps around here!

OfflineBurnt
Pooh-Bah
    #79876 - 08/16/99 10:10 AM (24 years, 7 months ago)

how do u test to see if they stain blue. i never did this before and im in no hurry.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck