Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Wasson Reviews Castaneda's 1st - 4 Books
    #4092278 - 04/24/05 04:52 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

Between 1968-1974, Carlos Castaneda introduced the world to a Yaqui Sorceror known as Don Juan.

As it turned out, the literature later brought about the message that Don Juan was made up. The books are fiction (which they are classified as in Books in Print), that Carlos Castaneda had maybe stolen much of his wizardry and magics from the writings of Valentina and R. Gordon Wasson's Mushrooms, Russia and History." Of course, the Wasson's were re-discoverers of the sacred mushrooms of Mesoamerica who brought the word of the sacred m mushrooms to Western civilization through their writings ih Life magazine and in the Sunday Newspapers Parade Magazine in the late 1950s.

When Gordon wrote these reviews between 1968 and 1974, they a originally appeared in the Journal of Econimic Botany. Many greatr drug papers can be found in various issues of this journal. Anyway, Godon had some dooubts about the writings of Castaneda and their validity as an antthropological rarity.

Over the course of these first four book reviews by Gordon you will notice his constant changing his mind about Castaneda and what whe wrote.

While Castaneda answered one letter to Gordon and then send some proof sheets of his wri9tings, Wsson let up on the subject of authenticity of the tales of DOn Juan.

However, years later, Gordon did feel that Castaneda was a fraud and a charlatan, most of which has been proven in the four books by Richard DeMille who also did not appreciate the lies of Don Juan.

Even today, there are seminars across the country with alledged desciples of Castaneda.

His deth was also mysterious and still creates more mystery as to who he really was. He ahad two different birthdays on his records.

So enjoy these four pages. There is another Don Juan paper at my site int he Grape Vine section 0of my site on the Demille controversy.

mjshroomer

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHuehuecoyotl
Fading Slowly
Male User Gallery

Loc: On the Border
Re: Wasson Reviews Castaneda's 1st - 4 Books [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4092421 - 04/24/05 05:35 PM (18 years, 11 months ago)

I am afraid the Don Juan thing as well as the Gordon Wasson thing is not new to most on this forum. Any enthusiast worth their salt should know this lore already.

--------------------
"A warrior is a hunter. He calculates everything. That's control. Once his calculations are over, he acts. He lets go. That's abandon. A warrior is not a leaf at the mercy of the wind. No one can push him; no one can make him do things against himself or against his better judgment. A warrior is tuned to survive, and he survives in the best of all possible fashions." ― Carlos Castaneda

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Wasson Reviews Castaneda's 1st - 4 Books [Re: Huehuecoyotl]
    #4094022 - 04/25/05 01:14 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

While some of the tale may be known to others, no one here has read the reviews Wasson made of the first four books. I suppose these would have been better read in another forum, but I thought since they were of an alledged spiritual nature I would post them here.

mj

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Wasson Reviews Castaneda's 1st - 4 Books [Re: mjshroomer]
    #4094165 - 04/25/05 02:32 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

know how many reviews have been done on Castenedas work? His work wasnt about mushrooms, or peyote.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Wasson Reviews Castaneda's 1st - 4 Books [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #4094365 - 04/25/05 07:47 AM (18 years, 11 months ago)

YEs, Don Juan alledgedly used both substances in his magics. And they are mentioned in the reviews by Wasson.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom