Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegotmagog
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
Castaneda, Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series and our Mind
    #2919581 - 07/23/04 09:19 AM (13 years, 2 days ago)

Hi
I remember these books, they were a great read once  :thumbup:, very good scifi. Today, I thought about the interesting ideas in it.

On one side, we have the Second Foundation, where people have psychic powers . Interesting if they used psychedelics? Imagine, a civilization where people have psychedelics integrated into their live and thus they have achieved perfect understanding of the human mind.

We also have the Mule, the unique character conquering the world. He also may control human emotions in some way. Is he mentally ill? He is considered a mutant, so different from ordinary humans. But it seems his madness makes him stronger, it is helpful for him in a way. Could it be that madness is a form of evollution, a product of the changing of the human psyche?

In some way this reminded me of Castaneda's book I read last week, "A Journey to Ixtlan". Don Juan advises that the warrior, the strong person is mad in a controlled way, so his madness works for him. Sometimes, the rituals Castaneda perform's to achieve power and be a warrior seem very crazy, but at the end they make his spirit stronger.

The sci fi world of the Foundation is not so mystical and psychedelic, some entities, the Second Foundation people and the Mule achieve power in a similar way.

The psychic masters of The Foundation series reminds me of future technoshamans, when I thought about this after reading Castaneda's book.

So, what do u think of this, is the human mind evolving in strange ways, some of which my be called madness? Is the situation so in the Foundation series, Castaneda's books, or in our reality. And what role do psychedelis play in this, can they make us stronger or just crazier in this context?

Speaking of the mind, this might be the classic case of a stoner raving  , I just smoked a joint :rastamon: and I am making rather broad generalizations about stuff  :smile:, it's summer break finally :sun: It is also a day after a mild Salvia trip that left my mind refreshed and full of new ideas
Peace

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Castaneda, Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series and our Mind [Re: gotmagog]
    #2919846 - 07/23/04 11:31 AM (13 years, 2 days ago)

isn't it what we are doing now?
I mean
integrating
psychedellic into regular life?

part of culture, but like the first star trek which seemed so primitive compared to DS9 so what we are doing now seems a bit "small time".

Quote:

integrated into their life and thus they have achieved perfect understanding of the human mind.

maybe not perfect understanding but some of us are making good connections

Offlinegotmagog

Re: Castaneda, Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series and our Mind [Re: redgreenvines]
    #2920117 - 07/23/04 01:03 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

It will be good, when the psychedelic underground culture evolves and people learn to have some sort of mastery of their minds. When people continue to take psychedelics drugs, they learn from the mistakes of those before them, evolution in action.

I wonder whether these processes will be always slow, gradual and ignored by the mainstream , like it is now, or soon we will make some sort of a breakthrough? Maybe make the right connections and really show that psychedelics are not just the druggies toys?

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2920984 - 07/23/04 05:16 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

I think it has been some time since you read Foundation. Me too but I recall that the 2nd foundation was set up and hidden so that they could deliberately train and breed psychics who could telepathicly influence emotions in others. They used this to nudge a little here and a little there to keep the plan intact and were the only group that had this power. Then along came the mule, a mutant with the same power but who was outside the plan. His armies were triumphant because he instilled his foes with despair and his own soldiers joy. They had the same power but they didn't come about it the same way. Remember why he called himself the Mule?

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #2921001 - 07/23/04 05:19 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

Good books. It also reminds me a bit of Guild Navigators in Dune and the Spice.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Castaneda, Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series and our Mind [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2921061 - 07/23/04 05:31 PM (13 years, 2 days ago)

Folding space to travel

--------------------

Offlinegotmagog

Re: Castaneda, Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series and our Mind [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2925348 - 07/25/04 06:01 AM (13 years, 12 hours ago)

Hm, I expected more replies...

Where are you, scifi and literary heads?

Or maybe I will just have to develop my mental powers and become something like the mule, and than I will convince u  :smile:

But I will have to eat lots of shrooms  :crazy2: to develop my powers so, and also probably a disciplined life and spiritual practice will be helpful, everything has its price...

OfflineTurd
Dr. Rock

Loc: Vulva, WA
    #2925650 - 07/25/04 12:21 PM (13 years, 6 hours ago)

the foundation series is an outstanding piece of literature... 

as human's evolve, our brains are getting larger, so I believe extra sensory perceptions probably aren't a long time coming.  The mule was a sign of things to come, I believe.  His mind is something that the rest of humanity wouldn't evolve to match for some time, but he payed the price for his mental superiority through his "horrible mutations" that he was rumored to have.....

I know I have inklings of ESP....  when something bad is about to happen near me (car crash, child tripping and skinnging his knee, someone starting a fight, etc) I almost always get a strange "spidey sense" sort of feeling about 10 seconds before it happens.  Hooray for evolution.  :rasta:

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2925764 - 07/25/04 01:26 PM (13 years, 5 hours ago)

the foundation novels are my favorite of Asimov's works, and I've been meaning to re-read them for quite some time.

I think the Mule is obviously symbolic of Hitler and other emotionally manipulative demagogues.

The First foundation seems to be a metaphor for the founding fathers. Most of the key figures in this part of the story sound suspiciously like the same minds who founded America.

The second foundation seems to be a metaphor for the scientific community. They are essentially fascists, but they have the galaxy's best interest at heart.

I like these books because thjey got me thinking about the evolution of a society over a long period of time. Also, the predictive power and applicability of psychology. The political philosophy of the first foundation was also very interesting. I liked a lot of the ideas expressed in this work, but overall I thought it was too idealistic. It was a nice story, but I dont think Asimov had a deep enough understanding of the human psyche to make it realistic. The mule and the Second foundation were genuis, though, and they show that Asimov had a better understanding of human nature than most.

anyway, it seemed to me like the whole book was a metaphor for things that have already happened in world history. First there was a revolution and collapse, then a new country was started (American Revoltuion). Then, a hundred and fifty years later, a political leader whose primary ability is emotional manipulation (Hitler) causes the plan to collapse in its weakest moment(America from 1920-1945). Finally, a reclusive team of humans with superior mental powers (scientists) use their influence to defeat the mule and put the plan back on track (the manhattan project, America becomes the first nuclear superpower).

Metaphorically, we see that Asimov realizes that the one threat to democracy is emotional manipulation. If the power of psychology falls into the wrong hands, all hell breaks loose in a society based in mutual consent. Asimov also thinks that science should be the tool wielded against those of inherently evil nature, but warns us that the evil people can use the tool of science against us as well.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Salvia

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology