Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblenewuser1492
Greatest thinker in American history
    #4013568 - 04/04/05 05:26 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7006

Quote:

Teacher Marguerite Hughes, part of a group that began pushing for the change two years ago via petition said, ?It?s an awkward position to ask African-American children and teachers to celebrate a historical figure who was a slave-owner.? Of course, as products of the California educational system, it?s unlikely the students have a clue who Jefferson is.

This country is fucked. I'm stuck between the loons on the left and the religious zealots on the right.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelilbilski4life
fear andloathing inbozeman

Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: newuser1492]
    #4013611 - 04/04/05 05:36 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

greatest thinker in american history....easy....TUPAC :laugh: then dr. thomson , rosevelt ..............

--------------------
------------------------------------------------

Offlinefaslimy
Dead Man
 User Gallery
Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: lilbilski4life]
    #4013639 - 04/04/05 05:41 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

lol greatest thinker

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #4013658 - 04/04/05 05:45 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

That article was strange for me to read. I agreed with most of what it was saying, but it still pissed me off.

--------------------

Invisibleniteowl
GrandPaw
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #4014057 - 04/04/05 07:15 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

That is sad.

It makes you wonder how "truly" accurate any of our "history" is.

Take the bible.

If human nature is so flawed that we cant even keep out recent history accurate. What makes anyone think that the bible is a "historically accurate" document after over 2000 years of "interpretations"?

--------------------
Live for the moment you are in now
Don't be bogged down by your past
Don't be afraid of what lies in your future

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: niteowl]
    #4014071 - 04/04/05 07:16 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: niteowl]
    #4014498 - 04/04/05 08:50 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

niteowl said:
If human nature is so flawed that we cant even keep out recent history accurate. What makes anyone think that the bible is a "historically accurate" document after over 2000 years of "interpretations"?

From what I have been told it is incredibly accurate according to historical events. I have had more than one nonchristian Western Civ professor that told me that if the bible and anything I am reading conflict that I should believe the bible. Those who believe in the bible for spiritual purposes believe that it has be kept accurate by God's will.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblenewuser1492
Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: z@z.com]
    #4014702 - 04/04/05 09:23 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

If you differentiate facts and ideas. Facts in the bible such as population or geography is generally accurate. However ideas cannot be explicitly accurate.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #4015050 - 04/04/05 10:24 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

That is exactly what I was saying. The historical information in the bible tends to be accurate. Defending the ideas in the bible is another discussion entirely and it doesn't really fit in this forum.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4015268 - 04/04/05 11:15 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

z@z.com said:
That is exactly what I was saying. The historical information in the bible tends to be accurate. Defending the ideas in the bible is another discussion entirely and it doesn't really fit in this forum.

Depends what you mean by "accurate." If you mean that many parts correspend to actual historical events, then yes, it is accurate. If you mean it is an objective account of how those events actually transpired, then no. There is evidence, for example, that the Hebrews once lived among the Egyptians, and that they fled and wandered in the desert for many years, but there is no indication that the Red Sea has ever parted.

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: Silversoul]
    #4015274 - 04/04/05 11:17 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
Depends what you mean by "accurate." If you mean that many parts correspend to actual historical events, then yes, it is accurate. If you mean it is an objective account of how those events actually transpired, then no. There is evidence, for example, that the Hebrews once lived among the Egyptians, and that they fled and wandered in the desert for many years, but there is no indication that the Red Sea has ever parted.

I am referring to the non-supernatural historical events.

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male
Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
    #4015351 - 04/04/05 11:42 PM (19 years, 16 days ago)

We all are... yet we recieve no acclaim for our efforts :tongue:

--Those who brought about the revolution, and defined America as a country that wouldn't take another countries shit.

Even though, unfortuanetly we are nearly in bed with our former masters, as they still own the majority of our country, hence why we have such strong unilateral agreement in our politics.

At least it was that way in the past, durring the 80's is was believed that the Japaneese owned the greatest portion of American assets, afaik it's still the British.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

#4015544 - 04/05/05 12:57 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

z@z.com said:
Quote:

Paradigm said:

I am referring to the non-supernatural historical events.

Even then, there's some inconsistencies. Archaeological digs at Jericho seem to conflict with the Biblical account of what happened there. The reliability of Biblical historical accounts lies somewhere between that of Fox News and Alex Jones.

--------------------

Offlinemethikist
Mushroom Pirate.

Loc: PNW
Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: Silversoul]
    #4015713 - 04/05/05 02:23 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

someone has to say it

chomsky

--------------------
Oh cmon, I'm a fun guy.

OfflineOJ
old hand
Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: methikist]
    #4015934 - 04/05/05 04:58 AM (19 years, 16 days ago)

hey!

I am one of those loons!!

-- OJ

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: methikist]
    #4018921 - 04/05/05 08:01 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

methikist said:
someone has to say it

chomsky

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I say Einstein.  He was American by choice not birth, though... Does that still count?  I think so.

OfflineMisterKite
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montreal, QC
Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: DieCommie]
    #4019569 - 04/05/05 10:37 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

HELL YEA, Chomsky....

Or maybe Thoreau....

--------------------
"But for the sake of some little mouthful of flesh we deprive a soul of the sun and light, and of that proportion of life and time it had been born into the world to enjoy."

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: MisterKite]
    #4019640 - 04/05/05 11:01 PM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Thoreau was head, shoulders, hips, knees and feet above Chomsky. I recommend reading 'Civil Disobedience' (if you haven't already). Thomas Paine is also one who deserve much more attention.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

InvisibleSoopaX
Criminal DrugAnalyst

Re: Greatest thinker in American history [Re: Autonomous]
    #4019865 - 04/06/05 12:04 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

Is anyone actually focusing on the topic that cb9fl posted?

--------------------

Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women, man

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #4020061 - 04/06/05 01:11 AM (19 years, 15 days ago)

There's only One American Prophet

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order