Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
searching fortruth andlogic...

Loc: Europe
The Vietnam War and American Society
    #2597951 - 04/24/04 02:17 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I used to read lots of American history(though I am not an American) and I know basically the military and official history of the 60s, 70s and the Vietnam war

However, I am confused about what was the war's influence on American society, and the recent Iraq war and its comparisons to Vietnam sparked my interest even more.

So, what were the effects on America after the war ended? Did people and their goverment learn something new, or they ignored the lessons? Were people mad with their government and the system? If they were mad, was this because the government sent them to an unjust war at the first place, or because the USA did not win the justified war and retreated at the end? Were the 50000 american casualties a national tragedy? And did anyone care that several million Vietnamese died, most of them civilians?

I personally think that Americans are divided on their attitudes on these questions and there is no single answer. But a discussion with serious historical facts will be welcome.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: The Vietnam War and American Society [Re: gotmagog]
    #2598972 - 04/24/04 10:32 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I graduated high school in 1974, too late for the draft but not so old that I hadn't made plans just in case. Imagine, a freshman in high school seriously considering fleeing his country to avoid slavery. I get very angry when I hear all this Greatest Generation crap about the WW 2 veterans. These were the assholes who were leading our country into that fucking mess with their self righteousness and sense of invincibility. We trusted them because they won WW2 but they fucked us good here. Domino theory my ass. Serious credibility hit here.

Then there was the drug nonsense. If you think they propogandize now you should have heard the nonsense back then. Nobody really knew anything so they felt like they could make up any crap they wanted to. And they sure did. Anybody with eyes could see that the people who got high weren't jumping out of windows. Another serious credibility hit. Which was really criminally irresponsible because there actually are bad consequences to some drug use but you couldn't believe a word they said about it.

And then there was Watergate. Never forget that Watergate would have been a big nothing if they hadn't tried to cover it up. Stupid fucks. Credibility gone forever.

Vietnam has led to a tremendous reluctance to act at all. Watergate has led to an, I think, overly partisan and confrontational press. They want to BE the news and not just report it. And the drug lies caused there to be a lot more drug casualties than there otherwise would have been. We are, I think, just getting over that now.

Pretty fucked up time to grow up but it sure was interesting. Wouldn't trade it for anything

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion