Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
The right to bear arms... in bars.
    #3967815 - 03/25/05 07:32 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Yippie Ki Yi Ay!

Cow Patty

http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/01/11/11635740.shtml

Gun enthusiasts hope to persuade state lawmakers to further relax handgun restrictions during the upcoming legislative session, but will face strong opposition from restaurant owners, educators and organizations seeking tighter gun controls.

Backers of the proposal want the mushrooming number of Tennesseans with gun permits to be able to carry a handgun into a restaurant that sells alcoholic beverages and to be able to leave their weapon locked in their car on school grounds as long as they are there for any ''legitimate purpose.''

John Harris of the Tennessee Firearms Association says permit holders have shown they are responsible and that restrictions should be relaxed.

''We have a large number of people who have been trained and certified and now, with a seven-year history of carrying in the state, we have a very low if not nonexistent incident rate,'' Harris said.

''We need to take that into consideration and make reasonable rules on where they can and should be carrying. Permit holders feel like the guns are safer to the general public, and to them in particular, if they are in the permit holder's custody and control rather than left unattended in vehicles.''

But the organization representing many of the state's restaurants is ''very much opposed'' to opening its establishments to gun-toting customers, said Ronnie Hart, lobbyist for the Tennessee Restaurant Association.

''It says they can carry (a firearm) but they can't drink? How long do you think that will last?'' Hart asked. ''It is prohibited right now to carry a firearm in a restaurant or bar. We are very much in favor of keeping that in place. Things happen so fast some times that you can't control them.''

The number of Tennesseans receiving conceal and carry permits jumped from 35,337 in 1997 to 99,130 last year, according to the state Safety Department. A count of permits issued so far this year was not available.

A move is also proposed that would allow honorably discharged veterans to skip the gun safety class that others are required to take to obtain a permit to carry a concealed firearm. The bill's sponsor, Rep. H.E. Bittle, R-Knoxville, said the proposed change was a matter of common sense, since veterans are already trained in firearm safety.

Legislation to place more restrictions on firearms may also be offered.

State Rep. Henri Brooks, D-Memphis, who heads a legislative committee that has been studying how to keep children safe from guns, says the committee is not yet ready to make a recommendation on what type of legislation, if any, it may offer.

Gun restrictions with respect to restaurants have already been relaxed somewhat.

Before last year, a permit holder could not carry his or her weapon into a business that sells alcohol for off-premise consumption. That made supermarkets that sell beer off-limits, Harris said.

That prohibition was removed and the law concerning restaurants was changed to allow a permit holder to leave his or her weapon locked in a car on the restaurant parking lot. Under present law, the gun cannot be carried inside, and that is what gun enthusiasts want to change.

Keeping a gun inside the car won't work, said gun enthusiast Steve Murray, adding that the law currently puts law-abiding citizens at a disadvantage. He said robbers now know people who exit restaurants that sell alcohol are potential targets because the patrons are unarmed.

Murray, of Mt. Juliet, has had a permit to carry a firearm for three years, and owns a jewelry repair business. He says he depends on a firearm for his protection.

The owner of one local restaurant that serves beer, however, said he was concerned about mixing alcohol and people who are legally permitted to carry firearms.

''If the gun's underneath the front seat of your car, and in the parking lot, that's good enough for me,'' said Fate Thomas of Fate's Pig & Pie restaurant on Charlotte Pike. ''I do not think it needs to be at the table with you.''

The organization representing most of the state's teachers is opposed to a proposal allowing guns on school parking lots.

''Our position would be that the law is really pretty tight right now on guns on school property and that's the way it ought to be,'' said Jerry Winters, lobbyist for the Tennessee Education Association. ''We see no reason to expand any law that would in any way put student safety in jeopardy.''

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #3967851 - 03/25/05 08:07 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

It should be up to the owner of the establishment whether or not to allow guns on their premises.

--------------------

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: Silversoul]
    #3967919 - 03/25/05 08:45 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Paradigm said:
It should be up to the owner of the establishment whether or not to allow guns on their premises.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Offlinesnoopaloop53
No BetterFriend. NoWorse Friend.

Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: Autonomous]
    #3968087 - 03/25/05 09:54 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Why are firearm supporters referred to as "gun enthusiasts"? How come we're not refering to other side as control enthusiasts?

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: snoopaloop53]
    #3968180 - 03/25/05 10:18 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Good point. I usually prefer the term 'gun control extremists.'

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: Autonomous]
    #3968327 - 03/25/05 11:05 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Wouldn't a gun control extremist be someone with extreme gun control views? I think restricting guns in bars is probably pretty low on the bar for extreme views.

Unless you're one of those people that labels everyone with a differing opinion an "extremist".

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineIts Pat
Still kicking
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU
Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: Phluck]
    #3968359 - 03/25/05 11:16 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Allowing people to posses guns and shit at a Bar? That is just fucking stupid Crazy!!!

No way would I vote for that shit, especially after working at PUB for six plus months kicking people out and 86'ing them too. Visions of the WILD WILD cowboy WEST come to mind.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: Phluck]
    #3968401 - 03/25/05 11:28 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
Unless you're one of those people that labels everyone with a differing opinion an "extremist".

The point of my sarcasm was to show by an opposite example how the left often labels people with quite reasonable views 'extreme' merely because they disagree with them. As far as guns in bars or restaurants, I have no issue with the owner of ANY property or business establishing rules as to what may be brought on to the premises. Government should not interfere by saying that owners of these establishments have to allow weapons to be brought onto the premises no matter what the licenses are granted to people. Respecting private property is all that is necessary.

--------------------
-- Mark Twain

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Loc: Gallifrey
    #3968439 - 03/25/05 11:37 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Drinking and driving is against the law. Drinking and carrying a gun should be too. In fact I wish that was a law, posession of a firearm while intoxicated, regardless of whether you have a license to carry or not. It should be a damned felony. Just my opinion.

--------------------
Happiness is a warm gun...

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3968521 - 03/25/05 11:54 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Gun control begins with the 5-0

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: unbeliever]
    #3968544 - 03/25/05 11:59 AM (19 years, 8 days ago)

It would still be illegal to drink in the bar while carrying a firearm. There is probably a provision in the right to carry laws there that says you can't be drunk with a gun in public.

The bars and restaurant industry is the majority of the opposition against the change in the law.

Apparently they don't want the choice to allow firearms in their establishment or not.

Also, it is legal to harvest roadkill in Tennessee. I think it may be illegal in every other state. They have robotic deer that they use in sting operations against people hunting from the road.

They actually move and act like deer. An officer sits and monitors the decoy and busts people who take shots at it.

Their economy is a raging wildfire right now. Like 7 or 8 states border them, so they've laxed their business regulations and taxes, and they are sucking the life out of every state around them.

Tennessee is the parasitic place to be.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: zahudulallah]
    #3968546 - 03/25/05 12:00 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Yes. Take away all the 5-0's guns.

--------------------

OfflineSomaton
Stalker

#3968568 - 03/25/05 12:05 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

I think guns should be legal everywhere in our society. I should have the right to defend myself in any given situation, without committing any crime.

For example, the school where that crazy kid took out 10 people just recently. If the pupils were given the right to bear arms, they could have finished him off right away preventing the blood bath.
That's a fact.

And at the bars it's essential we all carry guns, who knows what kind of lunatics lurking around in there. Can't wait for the automatic rifles to be legalized in my everyday life, no restrains.

--------------------
"Trance isn't just about the beat, it's about the movement of the beat, the sound, the life behind the music you are listening to. Listen to it the wrong way and you'll miss everything."

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: Somaton]
    #3968584 - 03/25/05 12:09 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Somaton said:
I think guns should be legal everywhere in our society. I should have the right to defend myself in any given situation, without committing any crime.

For example, the school where that crazy kid took out 10 people just recently. If the pupils were given the right to bear arms, they could have finished him off right away preventing the blood bath.
That's a fact.

And at the bars it's essential we all carry guns, who knows what kind of lunatics lurking around in there. Can't wait for the automatic rifles to be legalized in my everyday life, no restrains.

Yes becuase kids with guns in a class room = instantly trained swat team ready to repell fellow rampaging students without any additional or accidental violence. As for guns being legal everywhere in our society that's pretty vague. And besides my point was about it being illegal to be intoxicated and carry a firearm. If you're sober and carrying with a permit, that's fine by me.

--------------------

Offlinezahudulallah
Sexual Heretic

Loc: Tokyo, Japan
    #3968585 - 03/25/05 12:09 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Why the hell should they get guns? That's why cops always get killed, because there's an exchange of fire. If you take away the cop guns, when they try harassing someone they can just pull out their piece on the cops, tell them to take a step back, and then you get away from them and no one is hurt. Isn't that much cleaner than a shoot out. Oh what business did that cop have anyway pulling a random person over anyway. Drugs.. or something else involving the black market that by libertine philosophy should have been eliminated through legalization ages ago. :cool:

--------------------

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
    #3968596 - 03/25/05 12:13 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

unbeliever said:
Drinking and driving is against the law. Drinking and carrying a gun should be too. In fact I wish that was a law, posession of a firearm while intoxicated, regardless of whether you have a license to carry or not. It should be a damned felony. Just my opinion.

I'm just going to assume you have never been hunting.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineSomaton
Stalker

#3968640 - 03/25/05 12:24 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

It seems like you just failed to get my point.

--------------------
"Trance isn't just about the beat, it's about the movement of the beat, the sound, the life behind the music you are listening to. Listen to it the wrong way and you'll miss everything."

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: d33p]
    #3968679 - 03/25/05 12:34 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

d33p said:
Quote:

unbeliever said:

I'm just going to assume you have never been hunting.

Hunting while intoxicated is dangerous, stupid and the inevitable accidents that occur every year only provide ammo (hah) for the gun control lobbyists.

--------------------

Offlineunbeliever
Yo Daddy!
 User Gallery
Re: The right to bear arms... in bars. [Re: Somaton]
    #3968687 - 03/25/05 12:36 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Somaton said:
It seems like you just failed to get my point.

Your point seemed to be that an armed society is a safe society. Which is a reasonably plausible opinion. Extending it to young kids in the classroom however is sublimely absurd. If I am still "failing" to get your point, feel free to elaborate.

--------------------

OfflineAnisotropic
Stranger
    #3969201 - 03/25/05 02:43 PM (19 years, 8 days ago)

At first I thought in bars = behind bars.

I'm very glad I miss read.

Alcohol + Guns = no good.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom