Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Sounding insightful vs. Being insightful.
    #3894866 - 03/09/05 08:19 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

If you simplify your thoughts down to easily understood, coherant language, do they still seem as interesting or deep?

Are you ever guilty of putting more effort into sounding insightful than actually being insightful?

Are you writing a poem, or discussing philosophy?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Edited by Phluck (03/09/05 08:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Re: Sounding insightful vs. Being insightful. [Re: Phluck]
    #3894879 - 03/09/05 08:21 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

What are the rules of Philosophy....?

ME....

:heartpump::heartpump:

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Offlinebrewwhaha1
Stranger thanmost
    #3894899 - 03/09/05 08:24 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

2+2=5 As simple as this numerical sentence is... it has profound meaning. Yet it only holds meaning if you know where and why it is written.
So yes I agree simplified sentences can be meaningful but often they are insignificant without a greater understanding on why they were written.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Sounding insightful vs. Being insightful. [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3894907 - 03/09/05 08:25 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Well, there aren't any actual rules, it's just thought.

This isn't meant to be an indictment of anyone, I'm just asking. If you're being more creative than philosophical... then is it philosophy, or is it art?

That's not to say it can't be both, but every now and then, people will use style to mask the lack of substance. Sometimes a message can be so cryptic, that one begins to wonder if the sender even understands it.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Sounding insightful vs. Being insightful. [Re: brewwhaha1]
    #3894916 - 03/09/05 08:27 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

If it is a mathematical equation, it can very simple and short....  To speak without interpretation, you need to speak.... 

ME....

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

OfflineNuperSova
Stranger
Re: Sounding insightful vs. Being insightful. [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #3895533 - 03/09/05 10:33 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Sometimes I think it's just a person's way of trying to do justice to the idea (especially an expansive one) they're trying to convey, and sometimes it gets a little muddled somewhere between the brain and the fingers...

Oh and to answer the question of am I guilty..I don't intentionally try to sound confusing, overly insightful or artistic, but to me I am poetic. I write poems, thoughts, emotions down all the time. And sometimes the big questions that people ask tend to involve emotions, so why wouldn't that come across as well?

--------------------
I Refuse To Say I'm Lost Just Because I Don't Know Where I Am

Edited by NuperSova (03/09/05 10:37 PM)

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #3895577 - 03/09/05 10:40 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

what seems interesting and deep may differ from person to person.

you can be insightful when writing a lot just as much as when you write very little.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#3895655 - 03/09/05 10:52 PM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Sorry Phluck, I must have been writing my post when you posted yours, and I didn't see your response till now....  :heart:

As far as being artistic, sometimes it is very artistic....  If it is free thought, it is creative....  We are all human, and to bind the colors that are pouring out of our very souls, well, would seem like black and white text on a screen....  If we were all robots, this might be very well applicable, but we are not....  Life is poetry in motion.... 

eMotionALLmotion eMotive ExtrapRelations <--- Energy in Motion = LIFE in Harmony....

Creativity = Personal Flavor....  But, simply tasting without flavor, what would be the point....?

ME....

--------------------

>^;;^<

OfflineThe_Walrus
Stranger
Loc: Cambridge, Britain
    #3896335 - 03/10/05 01:34 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

Quote:

Phluck said:
If you simplify your thoughts down to easily understood, coherant language, do they still seem as interesting or deep?

Are you ever guilty of putting more effort into sounding insightful than actually being insightful?

Are you writing a poem, or discussing philosophy?

I f***ing hate how some people, when hearing you discuss a 'deeper matter' will treat you like a genius if you use intellectual sounding language that deliberately overcomplicates the matter, and the same people will treat you like an idiot stating the obvious if you try to explain the matter as simply as possible. It also allows room for charlatans who talk absolute shit and don't know jack shit about what they are talking about, talk in a detached manner using insightful sounding language (essentially, trying to sound as confusing as possible), pass themselves off as true philosophers or what-have-you.
In fact, when I see people talking this kind of bullshit, I can see that they are simply intellectually insecure, that they have to make their theory sound as impregnable as possible (like that guy in the second matrix who looks like the Kernel from KFC, 'the architect'), because if it were otherwise, it would be ripped to shreds by simple logic. So instead they create this aura of 'this is beyond your understanding' to protect their shitty ideas. The true intellectual will phrase his ideas as simply and as coherently as possible, so that they can be scrutinised, debated, modified and improved. That is what true philosophy is all about.

--------------------
'Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted' - Albert Einstein

OfflinePsilocinSam
Jester To TheHall Of TheMushroom King

Loc: Cambridge, UK
Re: Sounding insightful vs. Being insightful. [Re: The_Walrus]
    #3896509 - 03/10/05 03:23 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

A famous quote comes to mind after reading this post:

"Sorry this letter is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one"

In essence this whole area depends on time. In a discussion between a group of people, one is often not a concise as they hope due to the time constraints on your thoughts, and so also your words.

However if writing a treatise of some sort, one should be as concise and clear as possible, because time is not at a premium.

True intelligence is conveyed in the subtly of meaning of the chosen words, and not the words themselves.

"Do unto others as you would be done to yourself" is a true piece of worthy intelligence that is understood by all, and needs no complications.

Really what I'm trying to get across (and maybe not succeeding) is that intelligence in word-form is really about distilling thought till it makes sense to as many people as possible WITHOUT losing all the thought's original meanings and connotations. Possibly the hardest thing anyone will ever do, but something we do (to a different degree of ability) everyday.

Well that's my 2 cents! Hope you enjoyed it :stoned::mushroom2:

--------------------
We ultimately live in a fractal universe, all parts reflect the infinity of the whole. So why do we maintain that time be any different?

Welcome to 4 my dimensional thoughts!

(Turkish Delight is neither Turkish, nor delightful. So where's the name from?!)

Offlineegghead1
Nakedly Open

Loc: The Womb of Love
Re: Sounding insightful vs. Being insightful. [Re: PsilocinSam]
    #3897157 - 03/10/05 10:42 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

The poetry of the Heart is far more insightful than the intellectual ramblings of the Mind.... :heart:

When both are in unity, free from concept, insight pours from every word and action, then even the silent gaps communicate their own deep meaning.

--------------------
All you need is Love! Really thats it! Infinite Unconditional Love! Just develop that and all else will fall into place perfectly!

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
Re: Sounding insightful vs. Being insightful. [Re: egghead1]
    #3897201 - 03/10/05 10:56 AM (19 years, 23 days ago)

"..the art of philosophy, as creating in equanimity, enlightenment, and wisdom..."
-Unknown :P

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder