Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Link To A Thread Related To Recent Events...
    #3496595 - 12/14/04 12:35 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

As we are prohibited from directly discussing Swami's ban in this forum, even though it intimately involves the running and happenings of this forum, I need to establish a link in this forum to a post of mine concerning this ordeal in order that the active members of this forum will be able to find it. I feel this is necessary because it involves the active members of this forum, who might not know of the thread without my creating a link here.

My Concentrated View On All Of This

I would like to ask posters to refrain from discussing this in this thread here in Spirituality and Philosophy, as it would inevitably result in the locking, or perhaps even the removal, of this thread, even though I don't personally feel it is right to prevent us from free discussion, especially as it relates to this forum and has a spiritual and philosophical aspect to it (even if it didn't, remember, spirituality is a very personal thing, so to some this is spiritual).

Also, I would like to request of the moderators that if some posters do post in this thread in contradiction to what you feel is appropriate and allowed, that you would not lock or move this entire thread, merely their own, and subsequent, posts. Thank you in advance.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleVvellum
Stranger

Re: Link To A Thread Related To Recent Events... [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3496627 - 12/14/04 12:42 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

...and here is a link to a thread in OTD on the subject: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...e=1&fpart=1

InvisibleLoosifa
none
 User Gallery

Loc: England (South) Flag
Re: Link To A Thread Related To Recent Events... [Re: Vvellum]
    #3496733 - 12/14/04 01:14 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

If one participates in a philosophy and spirituality discussion, one must expect to debate their point of view. That's the point, isn't it? Freedom to discuss one's opinion, and to to hear alternative opinions?
What I reckon is, if one wants to believe in nothing but one set of prepackaged spiritual dogma with a repeated warning not to question it, they should participate in a bible thread. Or similar holy book.

--------------------
LURK

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Link To A Thread Related To Recent Events... [Re: Loosifa]
    #3496860 - 12/14/04 01:34 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

id like to jump in and say, although the ban may be a bit on the harsh side, this isnt some kind of personal vengeance or persecution against swami.

There ARE several clearly stated rules for S&P posting, and i have clearly seen swami break many of them.

In at least one recent thread he reduced himself to ad hominem attacks, calling someone and there ideas "moronic" and then when called on that said he should be able to call things as they are, even if that means blatant insults.

Personally i find it kind of sad that someone as old as my father cant find ways to disagree without resorting to words like moron.

Hes made a number of TOTALLY off topic posts here, which shouldnt result in a ban but it is kind of strange .

Hes started a number of threads for the specific and obvious purpose of baiting others. Sometimes he makes a transparent attempt to cover up the baiting with some vaguelyphilosophical point but to me at least its clearly baiting.

Aside from those direct rule violations he often annoyed me (not that thats a reason for banning obviously) by repeatedly breaking the etiquette rules as outlined in the "how not to talk" sticky thread, Re: nitpicking, for one, and disapearing or going silent whenever his points are under fire.

I always had the strong sense that the guy had a total lack of interest in learning OR teaching. Youll never hear him say "thats interesting ill have to think about that" or "i never saw it that way"

in fact i dont recall ever hearing a positive comment come out of his mouth, but he sure as hell tears apart the tiniest 'flaw' , sometimes reducing himself to bitching about someones grammar or punctuation when he cant find anything else to grab on to.

He was extrememly hypocritical when it came to his own discussion rules. hed jump all over you for not citing sources, or using anecdotal evidence, etc, but he CONSTANTLY used 'recent examples' from his own life (anecdotal evidence) to prove his points, and the worst one i remember was when i asked him to cite a source on something he said and he went off about how it wasnt his responsibility and i should use google.

Id said the EXACT same thing to him on NUMEROUS occasions that he demanded "source and link"

for all that though, i think the place was much better WITH swami than without him.

I think a temporary ban is a good idea. For one thing the guy clearly spends ungodly amounts of time here, and maybe this will give him the motivation to go get some fresh air.

But more to the point im hoping that When he comes back (and i do hope he DOES come back) he will be a bit more respectfull towards the forum rules and the other members.

now all yall should get your panties straightend out, take a deep breath and go back to business as usual. you can survive without swami for 2 weeks.

go smoke a bowl

:stoned:

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction. This poster is no longer active.

Offlineexclusive58
illegal alien

Re: Link To A Thread Related To Recent Events... [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3496914 - 12/14/04 01:45 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

:thumbup:

2 weeks seems a little harsh though. LEt's just say this is some kind of detox, it might actually be good for him... maybe Swami will come back and thank the mods!

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #3496938 - 12/14/04 01:53 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

No matter how much <DELETED MEMBER> used to annoy me and no matter how many veiled or unveiled insults he hurled my way, I never ONCE asked to ban him. Sure, I've complained... and threads were locked and posters were PMed to stop being a cock or whatever. There is no other poster who has contributed so much of their own content to S&P for so long. Of course, what would I know... I've only been a member here for 5 1/2 years.

Banning is sooooo pre-20th century.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#3496959 - 12/14/04 01:58 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

I would like to ask posters to refrain from discussing this in this thread here in Spirituality and Philosophy

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #3496989 - 12/14/04 02:09 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Moonshoe said:
id like to jump in and say, although the ban may be a bit on the harsh side, this isnt some kind of personal vengeance or persecution against swami.

There ARE several clearly stated rules for S&P posting, and i have clearly seen swami break many of them.

Clearly stated rules? They are rather simple and without clarification: "No flaming, no baiting, show respect.". I've never seen Swami directly flame anyone, I don't even know what the hell baiting is, and in regards to showing respect, that is somewhat questionable, but so is the rule itself. Show respect in what regard? I don't have much time so I will face that specific later on.

Quote:

In at least one recent thread he reduced himself to ad hominem attacks, calling someone and there ideas "moronic" and then when called on that said he should be able to call things as they are, even if that means blatant insults.

The term "moron" is a psychological term meaning " person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education." The term is no longer used in psychology for the most part, and the word can be offensive, however, that does not mean that Swami himself used it in an offensive manner. If he was using the word with the psychological meaning, it doesn't equate into a flame.

Quote:

Personally i find it kind of sad that someone as old as my father cant find ways to disagree without resorting to words like moron.

Perhaps Swami is old enough that the word was used in its original meaning at the time? Even if that isn't so, how Swami used the word and how others feel he used the word are two distinct things, and the word itself has a split meaning and intent, so obviously it is too vauge to be construed as a flame.

Quote:

Hes made a number of TOTALLY off topic posts here, which shouldnt result in a ban but it is kind of strange .

Often times, posts of Swami's that are often labeled as TOTALLY off topic actually have intended, deep spiritual meanings, even if it is simply to conduct some positive vibrations.

Quote:

Hes started a number of threads for the specific and obvious purpose of baiting others. Sometimes he makes a transparent attempt to cover up the baiting with some vaguelyphilosophical point but to me at least its clearly baiting.

I cannot consider these posts to be baiting. I think the fault more lies in those who take the self-centered stance that the post is completely about them only, who then carry over personal issues and emotional residue from other threads and situations. Whether or not Swami purposely does this is not the point: for one thing, they themselves choose to react in the manner they do, and second off, as long as it presents a spiritual idea for discussion, the thread's purpose here is validated. The no baiting rule, I feel, is ludicrous.

Quote:

Aside from those direct rule violations he often annoyed me (not that thats a reason for banning obviously) by repeatedly breaking the etiquette rules as outlined in the "how not to talk" sticky thread, Re: nitpicking, for one, and disapearing or going silent whenever his points are under fire.

You mean to say, "I let him annoy me".

Quote:

I always had the strong sense that the guy had a total lack of interest in learning OR teaching. Youll never hear him say "thats interesting ill have to think about that" or "i never saw it that way"

Why does he have to say such things, and what does not saying these things evidence towards his total lack of interest in learning or teaching? There is absolutely no way to determine Swami's attitude towards learning or teaching through this medium, one way or the other.

Quote:

in fact i dont recall ever hearing a positive comment come out of his mouth, but he sure as hell tears apart the tiniest 'flaw' , sometimes reducing himself to bitching about someones grammar or punctuation when he cant find anything else to grab on to.

I've often heard positive comments emanate from his fingertips. Why does it annoy you that he tears apart flaws? Sounds to me that he is giving us a valuable service that might unnecessarily provoke your ego a bit.

Quote:

for all that though, i think the place was much better WITH swami than without him.

Definitely. :thumbup: :laugh:

Quote:

I think a temporary ban is a good idea. For one thing the guy clearly spends ungodly amounts of time here, and maybe this will give him the motivation to go get some fresh air.

I don't agree with this, though. How much time is appropriate to spend here? Isn't that a subjective thing? Maybe they should just close down the forums for a couple of days so everyone can get some fresh air, eh?  :smirk:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :satansmoking:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Link To A Thread Related To Recent Events... [Re: fireworks_god]
    #3497014 - 12/14/04 02:16 PM (11 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology