Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
The *GENUINE* Co-Incidences Thread
    #1614202 - 06/06/03 08:21 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

A JEN YOU WINE coincidence is one where two similar events or things intersect, not where two disparate happenings are linked ONLY in the mind of the observer.

Preface: For the sake of this anonymity, I will substitute John Williams for my real name.

A few years back, I was trying to get in touch with my female cousin, Lisa, whom I had not seen for a decade. She had recently moved to northern California where I lived. I called her house and spoke with her maid. The maid said that Lisa was not there and gave me the number for the law firm where she worked. The company name, which I do not remember, was three names, something like Halley, Kleinman, Franklin & Associates.

So I call the number and the receptions says, "Hello, this is Howard, Kingman, Farnsworth & Associates." I pay no attention to the name discrepancy as I had not really noted it and it was close enough. I ask for Lisa. The receptionist tells me that Lisa is currently in a meeting and that if I leave a number, she will call me back shortly.

About 15 minutes later, my recpetionist buzzes me and says that there is a Lisa Williams on line 2 calling for me. "How strange!", I thought. Lisa was a cousin on my mother's side and did not now, or ever, have the same last name as me. I pick up the phone and say "Hello, this is John."

The woman on the other end of the line, whose voice I do not recognize, instantly starts blasting me. "You f***ing bastard! I told you never to call me again. Violate that restraining order once more and I will have your ass hauled into jail!" *click - rrrrrr*

WHATTHEFUCK? I start scratching the back of my head. (Now you know how I got that cute little bald spot there.)

Before I can figure out what just happened, my phone rings again. *tentatively* "Hello, this is John..." A VERY male voice then continues where Lisa left off. "You have been warned time and again to leave her alone. One more time - and the law be damned - I will personally come over there and kick your sorry little ass!" *click - errrrrrrr*

I scratch my head again (as the bald spot grows like a hole in the ozone over the arctic).

I call the maid back. "Hi, this is John again. I just wanted to check if I had Lisa's number correct. Was the number 553-7849?" "Oh no, senor. Eet waz 553-7894."

I thanked her and called my cousin and relived the bizarre episode for her while Rod Serling stood behind me doing a voice-over...

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (06/10/03 09:35 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: The *GENUINE* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: Swami]
    #1614558 - 06/06/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

That's a good story.

Assumptions can cause alot of unnecessary stress...

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineSole_Worthy
Stranger

Loc: over here
Re: The *GENUINE* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: Sclorch]
    #1614568 - 06/06/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

yes. why don't we all just love each other

--------------------
get it all together get like birds of a feather

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1614728 - 06/06/03 01:34 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I posted this reply in another thread about coincidences, and I'll post it below:

"Sometimes I'm not sure if anything in life is a coincidence."

yeah that's the direction I like  - this amazing machine we're a part of is getting absurdly self-aware and exploits this all around us at all times IMO... through each and every one of us.

I read an article about a "big wow!" theory a while back - it had something to do with the birth of consciousness - a claim that there was something similar to the "big bang" that happened way later but in a more cerebral or "spiritual" manner, causing a rapid increase in consciousness which is still happening today. Heh the details of it were weird but I liked the idea of an "explosion" of consciousness, creating more and more of it, and organizing and complicating it even deeper, just as the big bang theory claims happened with matter.

I think these coincidences are indicators that we as a species are good at noticing things around us that aren't particularly dangerous or important for survival - I think this is a great trait - we are "conscious" and at times we're even "awake/alive" ;P

-

I really dig the "coincidental" feelings I get on mushrooms - its like I can feel the amazingness of the moment that "the everything" is somehow producing "right now" and how it will flow seamlessly into tomorrow and so on.. its a coincidence we're even here to notice coincidences 

on my last trip the phrase "there's a whole lot of work being done without us" came to mind, and it applies on this level I think - its like no matter who you are and no matter what you do, your mind will pick up on various "coincidences" and attribute them to external activity.. there is always a lot of work on these synchronicities being done without you, and you are always working on other people's coincidences too, without either of you knowing about it until a small wow is born - I think synchronicities and the fear of death are the two largest building-blocks of organized religion.

Daily amazing coincidences fuel the spirit  we're all a part of this thing. lol woah I'd better cut it off here!
_______
k there's where I cut it off..

"A JEN YOU WINE coincidence is one where two similar events or things intersect, not where two disparate happenings are linked ONLY in the mind of the observer."

The act of discovering a coincidence, however, is in my opinion where the "magic" lies - Instead of using our senses for merely survival purposes or even fun, we are catching on to the extreme abundance of daily coincidence that occurs - I think this should assist in what McKenna referred to as the "disolving of boundaries" in people's minds; something he felt was absolutely required for mankind to progress - coincidences being noticed more and more I think is a sign that more boundaries are being dissolved - "God" is being discovered :wink: and maybe its not what everybody thought.

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: The *GENUINE* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: Strumpling]
    #1615103 - 06/06/03 03:58 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I was thinking about this one song and just then another song came on the radio, but it was by the same band! and that's when I remembered my dead grandfather. coincidences man, they're funny like that.

Offlinewyldtouch69
You heard ofhell well i wassent from it

#1616624 - 06/07/03 12:51 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

the day the Murrah building was bombed, I was in like 7th grade social studies and the principal got on the PA and anounced it and a girl I knew was sitting behind me and she started FREAKING out.

Her mom was supposed to be at that building that day, but her car wouldn't start.

-----------------------

I had an Uncle pass away in October. He was like the coolest uncle ever. Anyway, as I was driving to see a friend in a town I'd never driven in my CD player stopped working, so the FM Radio kicked in and it happened to be on the oldies station. The song 'Drift Away' by Dobie Bros(i think thats who sings it) was playing. When I was younger my uncles and my dad's friends would come over and kinda have parties... okie parties, beer in the kiddy-pool type shindigs. Anyway, they'd always have the oldies station on and that song was one of the most memorable ones. So when it started playing it reminded me of my uncle. Well, the radio came on right when we were just entering town, and the first street we come to was Allen street.

My uncle's name is Allen.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: The *GENUINE* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: wyldtouch69]
    #1616674 - 06/07/03 01:28 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

A great uncle of mine was supposed to be on the Titanic, but he was too late and didn't make it on board :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
    #1619496 - 06/08/03 11:10 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I have an interesting one that happened last night around 8 PM..

A real good friend of mine called today...  Someone whom I have not seen or interacted with in a very long time.  We decided to get together and talk of old times. It was a wonderfully relaxing way to end a relaxing week-end.

While we were together, I began discussing this forum and how, lately, the talks have begun to touch upon the nature of synchronicity and coincidences. We always have wonderful conversation. Anyways, this was in the car.

While we were walking downtown, I got a call [ it was the last call I was able to get that night because my battery died ]: it was my mother. 

She's like: " Today is a very special day. "

I'm thinking..  Ya, it's going pretty good.

She continues: " Do you know what's so special?  Today is the anniversary of your baptism- the day your name became official. "

" Really? ", I said, " That's pretty cool. "

" And you know what else?  Today is also Pentecost ", she exclaimed.

:shocked:    I was kind of stunned that she said that. 

This was the very first time she'd mention that word to me...  We are not religious..  I have been brought up spiritual... In other words, religion was never imposed...  I was always in a state of freedom.  I remembered hearing that word before, but it's meaning escaped me.

So I ask:" What's Pentecost?"

She replies: " It's about a re-union. "

:laugh:

" Ya right ! " .... 

We exchanged pleasantries, and the call was over.

I didn't understand the coincidental significance until I learned that it was a day of re-union. 

So I turn to my friend and said: " Today is a special day. It is the day of re-union...  We have become re-united after all this time."

:smile:

And we walked on.

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineDeiymiyan
I AM

Loc: Within the Realm of Imagi...
Re: The *GENUINE* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: Deiymiyan]
    #1619813 - 06/09/03 02:27 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

"And we walked on...."
---------------------

It's 4:17 AM.

I just got in from a walk.  It was a pretty nice day today:  Sunny, calm, blue sky. 

When I got in the first time, I was eager to type out the unfolding.  As I was doing so, It became very windy: strong gusts.  So I quickly made some posts, and proceeded to take a walk.

The wind was fantastic !  The pace of my walk was very leisurely.  My neighborhood is very nice to walk in.  About half way through the walk, it began to rain.  Slowly at first; it was very refreshing.  Then it go more intense.

I took a walk through the nearby forested path, and then up a small hill to the highest point in my city  [ It's not that high, but you can see pretty far from there ]. I started getting soaked;  It prompted me to turn towards home.

Now, I'm here.

This wasn't so much as a coincidence, as it was the end to a perfect day.    :laugh:

--------------------

Dei Gratia de integro,

Veni Vidi Vici:

In Nomine Domini..

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1622995 - 06/10/03 03:02 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

man a couple weeks ago a friend of mine and I were talking and he ended up asking me if I had ever thought about taking over my father's construction business.. I told him that I'd thought about it, but really was never interested I said something like "I could have been learning the business for almost my whole life.. He certainly would have supported that, but I went in a different direction."

A couple nights ago, I was at my friend's house talking to this dude I don't know very well and once again, conversation turned to him (different dude..) asking about me continuing the business for my dad..

Tonight I was listening to the radio (97.1 los angeles - Jon and Jeff [guys are kinda lame but I don't listen to music radio anymore..]) and one of the guys said something like "I could have been in construction, my dad was a contractor - I should have been following him around for years taking notes but instead I was sitting in my room pretending I was on the radio."

heh I'm noticing so many small ones every day now that there's been so much talk about it here :wink: "natural" entertainment

--------------------

Anonymous

#1623023 - 06/10/03 03:22 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

-deleted-

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Cinderella [Re: ]
    #1623278 - 06/10/03 08:32 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

I was with my lady wading in  Lake Mead near twilight cooling off. For those not familiar, Lake Mead is the largest man-made lake in the world. It is HUGE!

As we were getting ready to leave, she says, "Swami (she actually called me Salami, but that is for a thread in OTD :wink:), I lost my sandal." She had been wearing a pair of acrylic flip-flops. She felt around with her feet, but could not locate the errant footwear in the murky water and darkening sky. "Hold still and don't move," said I. I dove to the bottom and swam around in circles then came up with the sandal. "Here it is!" I proclaimed. It was a women's size 7 clear acrylic left-footed sandal. "That's not mine!" she replied petulantly. "Of course it is!" I retorted impatiently. She slipped off her right sandal. The two were the same size and nearly identical, but her right one had a little flower on it and the left one had a little algae growing on it. "This is impossible," I said flabbergasted.  I swam(i) around underwater again, but could dredge up no more footwear. We looked at each other with total puzzlement and exploded in laughter. It was way too funny; a cosmic joke.

All the way home I called her my Cinderella while we giggled like little kids. 

--------------------

Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
Re: Cinderella [Re: Swami]
    #1623281 - 06/10/03 08:37 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Maybe that's a popular and secret girly trick to get their sig other to call
em Cinderella :grin:
That would explain the other shoe. Also size 7 is a popular size...
just trying to add a "touch of Swami skepticism" :grin:
I learn swiftly Master :wink: 

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Cinderella [Re: lucid]
    #1623301 - 06/10/03 08:54 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Skepticism? Of what? I made no claims about anything supernatural, only that the story is true. I assigned no particular meaning to it other than to find it amusing.

--------------------

Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
Re: Cinderella [Re: Swami]
    #1623314 - 06/10/03 09:00 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

>I assigned no particular meaning to it other than to find it amusing.
true, I found it amusing too :smile:

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
    #1623325 - 06/10/03 09:06 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Have you read this post? I wrote it while ago. It's just about another coincidence!! What does John think of it? Genuine or not? I forgot to insert the link. :laugh:
Coincidentia Opositorum

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

Edited by dumlovesyou (06/10/03 09:08 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: The *GENUINE* Co-Incidences Thread [Re: dumlovesyou]
    #1623339 - 06/10/03 09:16 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Interesting...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order