Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBoland Gomba
journeyman
Mushroom cloning
    #333418 - 06/03/01 07:29 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

A friend of mine is on his 4th flush of Thai K.S. He used the PF method to grow and cased with coconut fiber. Since he is out of syringes he was wondering how difficult it would be to clone one of his few remaining living mushrooms. He was thinking of mixing up 12 1/2 pint jars of Brf/verm and then sterilizing. After cooling(working in a sterile environment) he would split open a mushroom and taking material from the inside of the stem/cap innoculate these jars. Will this work? If not he also happens to have 1 fully colonized 1/2 pint jar (2 months since innoculation-still looks healthy). Could he take this cake out and cut it in pieces and then innoculate more jars this way?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineegghead
veteran
Loc: Milky Way
Re: Mushroom cloning [Re: Boland Gomba]
    #333435 - 06/03/01 07:53 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

It just might work. Keep it clean.

Also, has your friend thought of taking prints? You could even do a hydro-print (drop spores directly into sterile water) to make your own innoculant.

--------------------
Where there's skill, there's a better way..

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #333473 - 06/03/01 08:57 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Try doing a little leg work my friend.  Do a search on the boards.  This topic has been covered numerous times.

4 out of 5 inmates agree.  The FSR is better than being raped by your overweight roomate!;)
Support the FSR.

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Offlineionic

#333522 - 06/03/01 09:55 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Your friend should just make his own spore syringes. He can sterilize the one he used before by bathing it in alcohol, just sterilize it somehow. Take one of your jars with a hole in the top, sterilize that by placing it in boiling water for a while. Then in a totally sterile environment place the cap on the bottom of the jar and let it sit for about three days with tape over the hole on top. After this time pull it out the cap with some sterile equipment, add enough sterilized DI water so it is a half inch from the top of the ja. Scrape the bottom of the jar so the spores get into solution, put the top on and store in a cool place. Any time you want to start a new colony just take off the tape over the hole and fill up your syringe. Goo luck.

--------------------

Offlineanima
dusty shelf
 User Gallery

Loc: WAY out there.
    #333716 - 06/04/01 02:33 AM (22 years, 9 months ago)

to try and answer your questions:
"After cooling(working in a sterile environment) he would split open a mushroom and taking material from the inside of the stem/cap innoculate these jars. Will this work? "
Yes, If you keep it sterile enough. You could use a number of methods to do so. You could just throw a chunk (of internal shroom tissue) into some BRF, it would take a month to colonize (at least). A better method would be to use some kind of shakeable grain (Whole grain Brown rice, Rye grass seed, or berries...)
Or you could sterilize a jar (or other appropriate vessel) with a small shard of glass (maybe 2) in it with some water...Stearilize all this in your pressure cooker...Now, using sterile technique (yes, after every thing is cool), throw your piece of internal shroom tissue in there, put the lid on and shake it up real good, draw it into a sterile syringe (you can sterilize this alinog with your "cloning jar"). You can now use this as you would a spore syringe, with a couple of benifits:
#1 It's the exact same strain (alike charicteristics) as your tissue-doner shroom. It will make bigger and smaller versions, but still pretty much the stay the same shroom.
#2 You dont have to wait for germination (takes off like a rocket) after a brief (1-2 days) recovery period
#3 Since it is the same strain you started out with, you can be sure you're not putting your precious time and care into useless, non-fruiting, undesireable strains.
#4 If you use a lot of innoculant, in a swiping manner (don't be overly wasteful), youre looking for coverage, not soakage. You can achieve 100% colonization in only 3-4 days.
Now for your second question:
"Could he take this cake out and cut it in pieces and then innoculate more jars this way?? "
Yes, BUT since you,opps I mean your friend has not yet fruited it yet, you (he) will not know what strain(s) he's dealing with, SO he could be preparing himself for a big let-down if he isolates a non-fruiting strain.

I was here but now I'm not, I have gone to smoke some pot. Left this here to make a point, if you wanna get high all it takes is a joint

--------------------
It might be the early bird that gets the worm. But its the second mouse that gets the cheese

OfflineBoland Gomba
journeyman
Re: Mushroom cloning [Re: anima]
    #336611 - 06/06/01 10:19 PM (22 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you anima for the suggestions/advice. My friend has had nothing but success with using purchased syringes the last few times and he feels he is ready to move on and learn new techniques that will further his knowledge in this wonderful hobby. Thanks!!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract