Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
5 questions on cloning
    #375663 - 08/21/01 01:04 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

1. i have read before that you should clone from a mature mushroom. what would happen if it was a small immature pin, i would have thought that if you can generate pure strains from mycelium on agar that the pin would also generate rhizomorphic mycelium.
2. what would happen if you cloned a abhort, is it a mutant missing genes? if i cloned the first shroom that grew (which happened to be an abhort) would i have a quickly fruiting strain of only abhorts. if this is the case it may not be such a bad thing.
3. also i understand that to preserve a strain for a long time a piece of mycelium can be placed in a jar of sterile water (no nutrients). if i just put a small piece of sterile mushroom tissue in a small test tube of sterile water would i be able to keep this for several years too? this would save me the trouble of using spores again when senescence occurs. i could have a hundred test tubes from my first flush which would stop me making clones of clones of clones, i would also have guaranteed rhizomorhic growth of a pure strain on my agar every time.
4. when people like MJ get a wild shroom why dont they just cut it open and make a sterile clone onto agar there and then instead of taking unsterile prints, is it simply because it is illegal?
5. most teks talk about putting a slurry of mushroom into the water. can i make honey water by putting a tiny piece of mushroom tissue in some honey water, would it just take longer to colonise?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTamrylin
Loc: USA, East Coast
Re: 5 questions on cloning [Re: blackout]
    #375665 - 08/21/01 01:10 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

no no no.. the mycelium and mushrooms are one organism.. the abhort was just a badly effected pin... cloning any part of it will yield the same thing.. and it is in fact not always better to clone from mature shrooms.. its really good to clone from primordia as well.. you cat have a sterile piece of mushroom.. if you sterilize it, then it and nothing from it wont grow at all, ever.. no clue bout 4 and 5

Tangerine trees and marmalade skies...

--------------------
Tangerine trees and marmalade skies...

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 5 questions on cloning [Re: Tamrylin]
    #375674 - 08/21/01 01:29 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

"you cat have a sterile piece of mushroom.. " i thought if you cut open a mushroom and take out the tissue from the centre it is sterile, no??

Offlineblackout
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: 5 questions on cloning [Re: Tamrylin]
    #375675 - 08/21/01 01:29 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

"you cant have a sterile piece of mushroom.. " i thought if you cut open a mushroom and take out the tissue from the centre it is sterile, no??

Anonymous

#375699 - 08/21/01 02:40 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

Each and every piece of tissue in a mushroom is the same, with the exception of the spores. The idea of cloning certain parts of the mushroom, involves getting sterile material, with no spores. It would probably be better to clone a mushroom that was succesful in developement versus an abort, even though aborting was possibly environmental. If your first mushroom was an abort, you would be better off returning to spore and select a better isolate to clone. Unless of course the rest of the flush was nice and healthy, then pick a nice fruit to clone.
Multispore inoculation into a substrate, i.e syringe, can result in several strains or isolates growing and fruiting in the same cake, or casing. Clone the healthiest specimen!!!!!!

InvisibleCLuB99
lost somewhere in time and space
Male User Gallery

Loc: my mind
    #375710 - 08/21/01 03:03 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

1 you can clone either with a pin or a mature mushrooms, pins do best because they're at the top of vitality
2 aborths occurs for 2 reasons, one is the lack of moisture or nutrient, the other can be genetical. if you want healty, nice looking crops i don't recomend it
3 you can putr a piece of mycelium in sterile-distilled water, but you must revive every 6 months to let the culture don't get senescent
4 either because is illegal and also because you need some stuff to carry with you, slants, glove box or flow hood etc. not very practical
5 yes you can do it....is really worth it if you don't work with agar and have contaminations concerns, just add a couple cc's of peroxide to your honeywater when adding the piece of mushie

IL_FUNGO_SACRO la coltivazione, gli enteogeni, in italiano
Support the FSR

Edited by CLuB99 on 08/21/01 04:09 PM.

Offlinejonnyshaggs420
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mid-West
    #375990 - 08/21/01 11:16 PM (22 years, 6 months ago)

I can't add any more to club's answers to 1-3 and 5 but here are my thoughts on Q 4. Wild shrooms are adapted to the wild, they don't always do very good on their first pass at indoor growing, thus taking a clone would just be more work because it probably won't grow well when brought to an indoor environment. Now taking a spore print allows you to get many different strains of the particulare type of mushroom. Your are bound to find a strain that will grow well indoors from a spore print and outdoor prints aren't really that bad when it comes to contamination. A couple transfers on anti-bacterial agar and/or peroxidated agar and there you go.

Novelty

--------------------
Vote Jonnyshaggs in the next election for GOD...Its the responsible choice

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract