Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Interesting Implications of a Geometrically Proportional Universe
    #3255098 - 10/20/04 08:48 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The following rant presupposes that all events are predetermined by events before it and chaos is but an illusion of an ordered universe.

The Universe is expanding. Most everything is drifting farther and farther away from everything else. Let's say that we traced all this mass back to a single point and sent a pilot, in a ship, in that direction. Now, our calculations wouldn't be exact but that suits us fine; if we got our calculations exactly right there would be a bizarre crash with another ship... more on that later.

Get out your favorite mental picture of what the Big Bang was like; I have a few amendments to it. Instead of a big bang that explodes like a toilet flushing a cherry bomb, with random sized shards and water droplets flying off at high speeds in different directions, imagine a Big Bang that explodes geometrically. For each shard that goes whizzing in one direction there is another shard that goes whizzing in the opposite direction. For each gumby shaped nugget traveling at a million miles a second in one direction, there is an inverted mirror gumby rotated 180 degrees traveling at the same rate. If you noticed I just said the same thing twice in a row please note it was only for reiteration purposes; I want you, the reader, to understand this concept.

The Big Bang was a long long time ago, but in the model I just described, where everything has a geometric counterpart, any event that occurred on one side would also have occurred on the other... but at an orientation where everything is reflected once on the y-axis, once on the x-axis, and once on the z-axis. To keep things simple (ha ha HA!) we will label everything on this side with an "A" and everything on that side with a "1"

This depiction lacks a 3rd dimension, but it is simulated by an z-axis. While Earth-A (to the left) is in the foreground quadrant, Earth-1 (to the right) is in the background.

Back to my example. Pilot-A in ship-A heads towards the center of the Universe on an approximated course at the same time that pilot-1 heads in ship-1 towards the center of the universe on an approximated course. If the course of ship-A were precise, then the same would be true for the course of ship-1 and the two ships would crash at the point where time begin. So, let's assume for now that the courses aren't perfect. As ship-A reaches the boundary of the A-half of the universe, it would have to stop... calculate the journey home as if it had turned around (but without doing so) then rotate 180 degrees and proceed on the reciprocal of the "return home" course. Where would this lead pilot-A? Earth-1! Of course, the pilot would find it very difficult to convince anybody on the planet that he was in fact somehow different from the pilot that had departed from it. It would be just as difficult for the pilot to come to terms with the fact that all the people, places, and things he has memories of are, in fact, a long distance away; especially when he confronts these familiar nouns. How could anyone possibly rationalize this experience without mass quantities of magic fungus?

I mean, can you imagine being this pilot and meeting yourself in the shared corridor breaching your ship and your's at the center of the universe? Even if it were possible for these ships to dock in such a bizarre configuration there would be practical disadvantages; you-A would be on the ground and you-1 would be on the ceiling, and of course you-1 would have the same orientation towards you-A. Any verbal greeting, such as "Hello," could only be returned by saying the same thing twice. Such frustrating conversation would probably go something like this: "Hello... yeah, Hi. Hey, would you quit that? It's really creeping me o-- wtf, dude, STFU!" It might be best, after all, to keep your mouth shut with a smile and attempt an awkward handshake or a high-five in the middle of the corridor and then get the hell out of there.

Then there are philosophical quandaries. Do we consider our counterparts separate entities, or do we consider them reflections of ourselves in a bizarre event horizon mirror? The later seems to be more convenient, as the former would be very hard to prove. After all, you couldn't take any mass from the other side without the same mass being subtracted simultaneously from your own. But the idea of living in a universe that is structured like a level in a Super Mario game, where when you exit to the left of the screen and suddenly enter on the right, drives me nuts! I hope you have fun turning it over in your noodle. I know for certain my counterpart did.

Edited by TheShroomHermit (10/20/04 10:54 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Interesting Implications of a Geometrically Proportional Universe [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3255193 - 10/20/04 09:40 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

The Universe is expanding. Most everything is drifting farther and farther away from everything else. Let's say that we traced all this mass back to a single point and sent a pilot, in a ship, in that direction.

If everything is drifting away from everything else, then there is no "center" point that you can trace everything back to. EVERY direction you look in, everything is expanding away from you equally. It looks like YOU are at the center. But if you were somewhere else, it would also look like the center.

The big bang certainly can't be thought of the same as a cherry bomb. There were no "shards" that flew out from it, and it was not an explosion. Space itself began to expand. At first things were WAY too hot for matter to exist, so only a dense energy permeated the entire universe. As the universe expanded (VERY rapidly at first) the density fell, so the temperature did as well. At the right temp matter began to "condense" out of the energy. At this point the density is ALMOST uniform, so the universe becomes completely filled with a uniform sea of electrons/protons. As the universe keeps expanding, things get colder. Atoms of hydrogen begin to form (and a little helium). The density is still ALMOST perfectly uniform...but there is a slight difference. If you look at an energy field on a very microscopic level, it fluctuates randomly at different points in space - quantum effects. If you took a small chuck of space and suddenly inflated it - stretched out the dimensions - and you did this VERY quickly (like the "big bang") then the microscopic differences in the energy field will be "inflated" along with the universe. The first second of the universe saw an unimaginable factor of expansion, which quickly slowed down to about the speed it is now. At the end of that inflationary period, the microscopic quantum effects now existed as large-scale differences in the energy density of the universe. Which led to differences in the matter density! Because there were more-dense parts, the could act as centers for gravity to do its thing. The first stars were massive objects, lasting only a few million years before exploding to pave way for billions of more stars. 13 billion years later we have computers and the internet :smirk:

If you think of the universe as a closed universe - something like a soap bubble (actually we would be the SKIN of the bubble) - then if you travel off in one direction for a crazy ammount of time, you will end up back where you started! Think of a 2-d creature on the skin of a soap bubble: he can't "see" the curvature of the bubble so it appears "flat" to him. Yet if he moves in one direction long enough he will circle around the buble and end up where he started. You can think of our universe as a 3-d space warped into a 4-d "bubble" - so we live on the skin.

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Interesting Implications of a Geometrically Proportional Universe [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #3255649 - 10/20/04 12:59 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

A little fantasy I had last night:

Imagine at some point someone creates a black hole in a lab (which will probably happen in or shortly after 2007). Micro black holes would "evaporate" extremely fast, unless they are fed matter. I think if you add too much matter the black hole will grow in size, because they can only radiate a certain ammount of energy over time (proportional to the surface area of the event horizon). You could probably feed the black hole a stream of electrons at a controlled rate and get a strong power source in the radiation that comes off the event horizon. What if one "gets away" though? Grows too large and eats through the containment? I tried imagining what the last second would be like, before being consumed by the black hole. It would happen fast, probably only a second at most. The room dips beside me, then the whole room streaks down. Time instantly slows to a stop as gravity warps the room out of existence :smirk:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineTodcasil
rogue DMT elf
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crawling on the floor...
Re: Interesting Implications of a Geometrically Proportional Universe [Re: trendal]
    #3255912 - 10/20/04 02:03 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

black holes as a power source...

::shudders:::

--------------------
Men look at themselves and they see flawed humans, we look at women and we see perfect
GODDESSES
Women look at themselves and they seem utterly human, when looking at men they see proud
GODS.

~Casil

:cactus:

InvisibleMoonshoe
Blue Mantis (Retired)
 User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
Re: Interesting Implications of a Geometrically Proportional Universe [Re: Todcasil]
    #3258603 - 10/21/04 12:37 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

the idea of everything being created with an exact opposite holds true to my beliefs. However i dont believe in a big bang in which all things exploded out of a center point and came into being.

Rather i believe in a 'big awakening' when the void, nothingness, suddenly became aware of itself, and began to dream. That dream contains everything that ever has or will exist.

--------------------

Everything I post is fiction. This poster is no longer active.

OfflineZekebomb
sociophagus

Loc: BC province
Re: Interesting Implications of a Geometrically Proportional Universe [Re: Moonshoe]
    #3258751 - 10/21/04 01:22 AM (12 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Moonshoe said: i dont believe in a big bang in which all things exploded out of a center point and came into being.

Rather i believe in a 'big awakening' when the void, nothingness, suddenly became aware of itself, and began to dream. That dream contains everything that ever has or will exist.

I don't readily see the difference

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope, Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology