Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Energy Twirks Relativity?
    #3220526 - 10/05/04 11:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Time is relative, as every human will have experienced, and it seems that the subjective speed of time relates to how much energy you are using at that moment. When you sleep your body relaxes and shuts off for the most part, little energy is used and time flies by, while during a fight or torture you will have a lot of adrenaline and be using lots of energy and time will slow down considerably, relative to how much energy is being put in (IE the worse the torture the more you resist and the slower it seems to go.) This can be seen while say running a mile versus watching television, while if it takes 7 minutes to run a mile, burning calories and putting yourself in intense motion, it will seem a lot longer than if you were just completely relaxed on the sofa watching a TV show, expending as little waking energy as possible.

This would coincide with drugs also in most or all cases, where nodding off into opiumland will have different time subjectivity than eating a quarter of mushrooms and having an intense trip, where sometimes you can look at the clock and a second hand will seem to pause for an eternity before moving to the next second. I have heard the same for schizophrenic episodes, that time will seem to slow down to ridiculous measures like an intense entheogenic experience. Would there then be any correspondence?

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibletrendalM
King of Asides
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Energy Twirks Relativity? [Re: Ravus]
    #3220550 - 10/05/04 11:44 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

When you sleep your body relaxes and shuts off for the most part, little energy is used

Actually the brain can consume more energy during various sleep phases than it does when "awake"!

The perception of time is very relative and dependant on your state of mind. During a car accident, for example, many people say that everything seemed to move in slow-motion during the brief moment in which the accident occurs.

--------------------
BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Energy Twirks Relativity? [Re: Ravus]
    #3220825 - 10/06/04 12:24 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

You're not talking about the relativity of time, though. Sure it seems that lots of time is passing, but it's not. It's not as though you could put a mouse in a little room, dose it with tons of adrenaline and mushrooms, then open the door 5 minutes later and see that the mouse has grown a big white beard and walks with a cane. The mouse would be the same age (though I'm sure those 5 minutes seemed like a lifetime).

So.. I don't understand why you think your observations are at all noteworthy. Please elaborucidate.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Energy Twirks Relativity? [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #3224877 - 10/06/04 11:24 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't say time would change objectively, just the feeling of time, or subjective time, would change. The mouse might have felt hours have passed in those five minutes while you would feel 5 minutes have passed in those 5 minutes, but it would not actually make hours have passed for his cells, just the feeling of it. Sometimes an eternity will seem to pass on acid or mushrooms, but it is just the feeling of eternity. The clocks will tick on all the same, and so will your aging. My post was not about actually time passing quicker or slower because of energy, just the feeling of time to that subjective viewpoint

"The perception of time is very relative and dependant on your state of mind. During a car accident, for example, many people say that everything seemed to move in slow-motion during the brief moment in which the accident occurs. "

Of course, the more energy you put in the more time will seem to slow down to your mind. During a car crash your entire being will react in a rush and time will slow down incredibly, making time seem to move in slow motion.

Though of course it is just a theory, as for the sleeping part I didn't know that, but overall there would be a decrease in energy if your body is expending practically none? Very deep meditation resembles sleep in the passing of time, and for the person it is definitely a feeling of completely relaxing and stopping the release of such an outburst of energy that we use everyday

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology