Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

Children's lives more valuable than adults?
    #3136959 - 09/15/04 12:51 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

This is something that I've been thinking about recently. Why do people value children's lives more than adults? For example, when an innocent adult is murdered, it's bad. But when an innocent child is murdered, it's somehow ten times more horrible. Why do people think this? Do children feel more pain than adults? No. The only thing I can think of is the 'potential' factor. That children have a full potential life ahead of them. But that's BS. Adults also have a life ahead of them. Who's to say who is more valuable? Who's to say who has more of a 'right' to live? It's totally subjective.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: Children's lives more valuable than adults? [Re: ]
    #3136966 - 09/15/04 12:53 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

My god you're right. Case closed.

Mods lock this thread ASAP.

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #3136993 - 09/15/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

It depends on the measure of the word value. You can say that children don't produce income like an adult so their value is less.

It is subjective.

I don't think people react that way because they see children as being more valuble. I think the saddness is increased simply because a life was cut short. people see them as missing out on more then older people when they die young and empathize with their loss.

the silly thing is that the child who passed isn't feeling the loss. What really is being empathized with? Maybe the parents who are feeling the loss.

If people beleived in reincarnation, that we live again and again and forever on elsewhere, i don't think reactions would be so devasting.

Most Christian teachings, if not all, beleive that you are born once as a human and thats it, your one shot, your one chance to get it right with God.

I think that beleif system is what magnifys the sense of loss.

Just some possible reasons

Why do you ask?

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #3136998 - 09/15/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Its just more devastating because we realize that a child cant defend themselves, and we see the horror in people that choose to commit crimes against innocent people... that is if you have a conscience or any sort of empathy for those who arent fortunate enough to keep certain things from happening to them.

Maybe its compassion people have? You hear about adults dying all the time, you accept the level of circumstance that happens with adult interaction.

IF you are just referring to why people in general are more horrified by the death of children, you may be asking a genetic question and nothing more. But otherwise i think its going to lead back to my first conclusion about the ability of a child to control its circumstances.

OfflineStinky
Toaster ofPop-tarts

#3137001 - 09/15/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I think the "innocence" level is what its all about. I don't think that anyone's life is obvectively more valueble than anothers, but when a truely innocent person dies, it carries much more tragedy with it.

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Children's lives more valuable than adults? [Re: Stinky]
    #3137013 - 09/15/04 01:01 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I answered first... Stinker!

heh heh, jk.

----
Is that your families nick name for you... "stinky"?

Anonymous

Re: Children's lives more valuable than adults? [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #3137023 - 09/15/04 01:04 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I think that beleif system is what magnifys the sense of loss.

Yeah that's certainly part of it. It's impossible for me to be sad at funerals because of my beliefs (in reincarnation).

Why do you ask?

I frequently lurk on the Politics forum and there's been a couple articles posted recently about resistance factions in Iraq targeting chilrden.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3137038 - 09/15/04 01:07 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for answering why you ask. I'm the same way at funerals, if i even choose to go.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Anonymous

Re: Children's lives more valuable than adults? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #3137041 - 09/15/04 01:08 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Its just more devastating because we realize that a child cant defend themselves

Yeah I didn't really think about that when I posted. Very young children can't or don't know how to defend themselves. I admit I overlooked this. Good point.

IF you are just referring to why people in general are more horrified by the death of children

This is the other part. My opinion is that it's irrational, and comes from the emotion of motherly or fatherly instinct.

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #3137078 - 09/15/04 01:22 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Jeeez. Do any of you guys have kids? When you have a kid, you are gonna love 'em. You're going to love him/her more than anything else in the world. To you, your child will be the most valuable thing in the world.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

Re: Children's lives more valuable than adults? [Re: Source]
    #3137112 - 09/15/04 01:35 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I have a daughter source and yes, she is valuable to me in ways, I never thought I could feel about something.

The whole world changes once you bring a life into it doesn't it?

Max asked WHY people place a higher value on children then adults.

Maybe because taking their lives is the best way to get to the parent adults. maybe the goal is to break them down and make them devasted, destraught and to weak to fight and fill them with a sense of helpless fear.

I must add that i do not beleive that the value of my daughters life is any greater then that of another child or adult.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

jiggy
Female User Gallery

#3137128 - 09/15/04 01:39 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

gettinjiggywithit said:

Maybe because taking their lives is the best way to get to the parent adults. maybe the goal is to break them down and make them devasted, destraught and to weak to fight and fill them with a sense of helpless fear.

That part was meant to address why maybe the iraqi are targetting the children because of the added value belief.

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlineschmektron
Vainglorious

Loc: Wrapped in an imbroglio
    #3137178 - 09/15/04 01:55 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe it has to do with many people's perceptions of children: innocence, purity, etc. Children haven't been exposed to all the harshness of reality, or realized it yet: for example, some small children cannot comprehend death/dying. They haven't yet become jaded or cynical, like many adults (work). However, this obviously isn't the case for everyone.

meh

OfflineInbadtaste
Stranger
Re: Children's lives more valuable than adults? [Re: schmektron]
    #3137185 - 09/15/04 01:59 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Children are generally innocent. When an innocent person (especially children) dies it is more of a tragedy.

Edited by Flashmaster (09/15/04 02:02 AM)

OfflineFrog
Warrior
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Zero Point Field
    #3137456 - 09/15/04 03:54 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Because kids are more vulnerable, more innocent, than adults.

Think about it. Kids have more nightmares, and have more fears, than adults. If the kid is murdered, it is the kid's worst nightmare, come true.

Actually, as I am thinking about it, life for a kid isn't any different than it is for an adult. A life is a life.

Maybe because I have had kids. When you have kids, you see them as vulnerable. They don't know much. They are usually innocent.

Maybe it's their innocence. I know that there are kids that are just inherently bad, but for the most part, kids are innocent.

And even though I hate the idea of any person being harmed, for some reason, it's worse when it's a kid. I look at my kids, and they are innocent. They have not experienced anything bad in this world. To them, "bad" is getting restricted from playin video games because they didn't do their homework.

Their world is candy, video games, playing with friends imaginary games, special treats for no reason at all.

Then imagine that someone takes that kid, that kid who knows no bad in this world, and does things to that kid that scares the kid, and hurts that kid, and ultimately causes that child's death.

It's not that the child is better than an adult, and is therefore less worthy of losing its life. An adult has experienced a lot more life and can probably "deal" with whatever is happening to that adult while it is incurring whatever pain while engaged in being killed.

A child has no clue as to why it is experiencing such pain, and where is mommy and daddy, and why is this happening to me, etc.

I dunno. The idea of one of my children, as children, experiencing whatever they experienced until they achieved the death that was inflicted upon them makes me ill, and I would hunt down and kill whoever did that to them.

So maybe it's like Jiggy said.

--------------------
The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.  -Teilard

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3138229 - 09/15/04 12:28 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

its ego :P
if a child dies, you loose a potential friend in the future (when he would have grown up)
if a addult dies, you lose a friend.

so you knew the adult, or atleast he "knew" him self
but the child has not yest piced up a individual identity. he is still "one of the children" and loosing somone you dont know, or somone who newer knew himself, is harder for your mind to acsept it if "he" dies.. as there rellay was no "he" formed yet :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Anonymous

Re: Children's lives more valuable than adults? [Re: Frog]
    #3138478 - 09/15/04 01:41 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

OK, time for a hypothetical situation.

Suppose some terrorists have kidnapped both a kid and an adult in the midst of a battle in Iraq. They are holding them both hostage. Both prisoners are tied up, and both are defenseless. The terrorists threaten to kill one of them and let the other go free. The one who is killed will have a quick death (ie a gunshot to the head). How do you decide who is to die? Is either life really more vauable, or do you only see the child's as more vauable because of clouded emotional thinking?

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #3138508 - 09/15/04 01:52 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

some may say. the adult is a person.
the child is becoming a person.
hence the child would gain more from surviving?
personaly. if i was given that choise. i would have said neither were to be killed, so the killer would have to make the choise, as i se a person as a person, regardless off age sex and location :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: Children's lives more valuable than adults? [Re: Gomp]
    #3138803 - 09/15/04 03:15 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Better yet, change the thread title to If you have kids who would you value more your life or your childrens? You throw it off as subjective for some reason as an excuse to see how we, well some humans put other lives before others.

Those of us who think that they are innocent creatures is right, but not all children are innocent. There have been young children that do the murders as well. Then it always comes down to classifying them.

Subjective it is.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#3138852 - 09/15/04 03:30 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

INSTINCT!

Natural instint for the purpose of survival of our species is to value and protect new life. since children are our future

unless we can stop them NOW!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology