Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Do you want to have children??
    #1347189 - 03/02/03 04:52 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Ok, given all of our hobbies and view on life, I'd like to know whether or not you guys want to have kids. I just came to realize that you are supposedly the result of billions and billions of years of evolution. For you to exist, your parents, parents parent's parent's parent's parent's parent's parent's had kids. We're talking building our genetic code nucleotide by nucleotide all the way up to human beings. From single celled organisms, replicating sexual oover and oover and oover and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... am I really making myself clear? : ) we're talking your family line since the primordial soup : P

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Do you want to have children?? [Re: HarveyWalbanger]
    #1347199 - 03/02/03 04:54 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

As long as this thread doesn't cross over the family line of evolution it can stay.  Otherwise it gets a swift kick over to the Science Forum.

Cheers, :smile:

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1347275 - 03/02/03 05:30 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I want (more) children, but my wife does not. Therefore, I visited Dr. Benihanna who made my wife's dream a reality while subjecting me to a physical nightmare... but I'm over that now.

Bringing a life into this world with the woman you love and raising that child (hopefully to a standard higher than your own upbringing) is a wonderful, joyous, aggravating, angering, surprising, funny, scary, disappointing, taxing, rewarding, loving, tearful, awe inspiring experience which I would recommend to anyone who wants to live through one of the most incredible aspects of physical and emotional existence. Be prepared to love unconditionally, recognize and forgive your own shortcomings in another, lose a lot of sleep, be a teacher, a cop, a preacher, a nurse, a referee, a philosopher, a counselor and a caretaker of a totally helpless and innocent being... I like it.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#1348020 - 03/03/03 05:08 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

i dont want kids...ever. no child deserves to be brought up in this world at this time.

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1348030 - 03/03/03 05:16 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I never wonted kids at all untill i reached 30 now it turns out i cant have them anyway,well not without paying ?5000 for I.V.F treatment as my sperm is just as lazy as its creator.
:grin:So funnily enuff now i really do wont them.

--------------------
er

OfflineTheEggman
Mind-expandingStudent
Loc: Central California
    #1348079 - 03/03/03 05:50 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yes, I want to pass on my genes to a lucky child and raise him to have a better childhood than I did.

on a further note, I have a question for the parents out there. how open are you with your children about drugs? about your previous drug usage? are you supportive of them using drugs? only to a certain extent (i.e. marijuana, entheogens, etc.)? are you hypocritical in reprimanding their drug usage?

peace and love,
tim.

--------------------
Peace and love,
Tim.

OfflineDavid_Scape
Anti Genius
Male

Loc: U.S. of muthafuckin A.
    #1348124 - 03/03/03 06:08 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

having kids???
Oh, you mean adding another adult to this world! I get it.....

Hmmmm, maybe if i could ever justify it to myself, sure. But, i would'nt even know what the standards of such a justification would be...

--------------------
focusing
Flow
The Enneagram

Edited by David_Scape (03/03/03 07:03 PM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1348191 - 03/03/03 06:28 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Certainly not any time soon :wink: I'm 22 years old..

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #1348194 - 03/03/03 06:30 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This has been a major (THE major) cause of disagreement between my GF and I. She wanted another kid (she's got a 12 year old now), and I don't want kids of my own.
To have children means not only to give life, but also to 'bring them into the world', which I think you can only do if you support the world as it is, at least a tiny little bit, which I don't. Today's world is a present I wouldn't give to my enemy, let alone my child.

BUT I must add that I can fully understand the vast and rich emotional side there is to having kids. The decision not to have any was probably easier to uphold for me since I've had a kid to raise for 5 years now. He's not mine genetically, but I don't care, I've got a kid around and it's fun, and nerve-wrecking, and beautiful, and demanding, etc. I love it. If this was not the case, I would reconsider it, but then you can adopt kids without having to put a new innocent life into this world. Also an option...

As fot honesty about drugs, it depends on the age. I've never hidden marijuana use, nor did I hide my terrarium or the fact that the shrooms were hallucinogenic (never tripped while he was around, of course). Now that he's 12, and very much into spiritual and supernatural interests, I'm going to take some time very soon, before he goes to (the equivalent of) high school, to explain as much as I can about drugs and their relation to addiction, recreation, spirituality etc. If he's interested, I might introduce him to entheogens when he's 16 or 18 or so, and I'll tell him that right away. I think life has warned him enough against the dangers of addiction, as his real dad is an alcoholic, which has been quite hard for him to accept.

InvisibleObserver
Stranger

Re: Do you want to have children?? [Re: Aldous]
    #1350370 - 03/04/03 04:34 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

First off, I'm twenty-one and have never wanted to bring more people into this world (6 billion is enough). It is not what I want my life to center around.

Quote:

If he's interested, I might introduce him to entheogens when he's 16 or 18 or so, and I'll tell him that right away. I think life has warned him enough against the dangers of addiction, as his real dad is an alcoholic, which has been quite hard for him to accept.

From what I've learned about the human brain, if his biological father is an alcoholic, I wouldn't introduce ANY type of drug (natural or not) to your son. To me you're asking for trouble, he might have that addictive personality.

Justa' thought Mon!

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1350469 - 03/04/03 05:32 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I have simply never had the desire to become a parent. Some of my friends had them, and always wanted to. Some of my friends have not. Four years into my former marriage, my ex-wife asked me to pick her up at the Doctor's because she decided [on her own] to have her tubes tied. Since we had not discussed having kids, I simply complied, but then again, I was already Co-dependent to a Borderline Personality Disordered individual, who later became sicker and alcoholic. If the desire had been in me, even latently, I'm certain that it would've been awakened at that point.

After my divorce, a girlfriend decided that she really wanted children. I struggled with the idea for several months, but I was really not in love with her, she really didn't know who I was, and I still didn't want children. I'm now 49, with a 47 year old Lady, who has a 20 year old daughter in college (who is bringing 4 co-eds here next week for spring break). When W.C. Fields was asked if he liked children, his reply was "Ye-s-s...girl children...about 19." :smile: But seriously folks - I'm a philosopher, and as annoying as this may sound, my thoughts have never been attached to the simple human pleasures of family social life. Around 1984, while sitting at Thanksgiving table with both my parents (the ex-wife had left the table for a while), in silence, my Mother broke the silence by saying to my Father, "Sy, if you'd spent more time with him we'd be grandparents by now!" I was shocked, but nobody said anything else. They eventually got 2 grandchildren by way of my brother, the lawyer - the good son :smile:  I have no regrets - not at holiday time - not yet - and hopefully, not ever. Working with adolescents everyday for the past 17 years has been more than enough for me. My genetics stop here. 

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Invisibleadrug

#1350572 - 03/04/03 06:17 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I never planned on having children...but a pill was missed somewhere or I'm just the unluckiest person in the world, as I got pregnant while on the pill. Of course, there are those times where I wonder where I would be if I hadn't had a child, but I wouldn't trade my daughter for anything. When I found out I was pregnant, I went through the whole guilt thing, for bringing a child into a such a fucked up world when I hadn't even figured out how to deal with my own problems yet. I found out just a few weeks after the terrorist attacks in Sept '01, which made my doubt and worry 10 times worse. All in all though, its really the basic reason why we're here... to propogate the human species, and most of us seem more than happy to do so (intentionally or not).  :grin: 

InvisibleHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: Do you want to have children?? [Re: TheEggman]
    #1355895 - 03/07/03 02:33 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------

Edited by HarveyWalbanger (02/21/09 02:30 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology