Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAjent Orange
addict
why do we need to get fucked up?
    #311968 - 05/07/01 11:57 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

It seems that every single person has a intoxicant of choice. my mother and father are coffee addicts, they can't go a day without a cup. i myself smoke pot, and i drink occasionally. in fact i am cutting back on that too. but why do we feel the need to be attached to these things. i have seen people huff everything from gas to acetone to monkey grip. in my opnion it's rediculous. but then i find myself scraping a pipe from time to time. why are we so desperate for this high that we reach?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinewhyIdied

Loc: The exact center of the e...
Re: why do we need to get fucked up? [Re: Ajent Orange]
    #311990 - 05/08/01 12:37 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I want to escape reality.  I want to control how I feel.  I want to influence the mechanisms of my body, esp. my mind, so that life is beter.  But when I can't, sometimes I feel like a babe without it's binkie.

This is your spirit
:mad:
This is your spirit on drugs
:smile:
Any questions?
:cool:

...slow moves, sweet feet...

--------------------
...slow moves, sweet feet...

OfflineoDin
    #311995 - 05/08/01 12:40 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

good ?, i have no idea, but mankind has been doing it since intoxicants were discovered and before that i bet they hit eachother on the head with a rock for the buzz.

---------------------------------------------------------
just do it

OfflineAshaman
Male

#311997 - 05/08/01 12:41 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

well I and alot of other people do psychedelics for insight into the mind/spirituality/conciousness expanding. but I will also not deny sometimes feeling like just kicking back a few 40s and getting really fucked up. I guess it all comes back to escapism. Maybe not just for your own personal needs, but the needs of the psyche to relieve itself of stress and just NOT THINK ABOUT SHIT for awhile. Alot of times I try to fight this feeling, saying "hey, damnit, fuck not facing reality, handle yo shit" but who knows? we might all need a little escaping every now and then.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
in the set of life there are two choices, JUNGLIST and NOT JUNGLIST

DROP YO BASS
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Offlinephantasmagoria
Stranger
    #312051 - 05/08/01 03:03 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

it's a search for answers, I guess......

altering consciousness is the way of the walk. :)

it's difficult to live in a society like this and not feel the need to drop out every now and then.

Offlinedrhei21
Stranger
Re: why do we need to get fucked up? [Re: phantasmagoria]
    #312058 - 05/08/01 03:27 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

Running?....Running from Demons?....Scared to face life?
Possible

"follow the footsteps of your fathers, you will find their tracks are easily traceable
but follow the footsteps of your gods and you too might be considered heavenly"

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #312116 - 05/08/01 07:12 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

go re-read _the natural mind_ by andrew weil, ok?

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineEvery1ShouldBAble2Post
Carpal Tunnel
    #312120 - 05/08/01 07:22 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I personally like to experience the mind at all states. It just so happens some of those states we never want to leave. That is why many of us continue to use the same thing over and over again. It ain't that I think drugs nessecarrly inhance your intelligence but they enhance your feelings. They make you feel different. Man I want to get high.

Offlinegray1
addict

Loc: brooklyn
Re: why do we need to get fucked up? [Re: Every1ShouldBAble2Post]
    #312404 - 05/08/01 02:58 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

life is an unfathomable interaction of molecules. our human consciousness is the result of brain chemistry, and there are natural endogenous chemicals that elicit pleasure. we do things that give us pleasure constantly. it is what drives our lives, and the goal of reproduction. why would our bodies have sex to reproduce our genes if it didn't feel good? what would be the drive? exercise releases beta endorphins, endogenous opiates that bind to receptors in the brain and produce pleasurable sensations. morphine, opium etc... are not endogenous substances, but they are naturally occuring and they also bind to such receptors and elicit such effects.
psilocybin/psilocin and other hallucenogens and empatheogenic drugs work in similar manners, binding to brain receptors and elliciting/mediating pleasurable responses.
there is also a natural desire to alter one's perception? this get's back to the root of the original question, why do humans desire to alter their perception other than to elicit pleasurable respoonses?
any suggestions?

c12h16n24ohdmt

InvisibleKid
Carpal Tunnel
    #312470 - 05/08/01 04:34 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I need to get fucked up because existence is suffering.

Or it's just a learned response. You take drugs your first time and it's pleasureable. Then, you have a problem (eg// fatigue) and you recall a drug which had an effect specifically opposite of that problem (caffeine waking you up) and decide to use the drug to counteract the effect. The psychology of using psychedelics would be much more complex in terms of what the problem is and what you're trying to acheive but it still seems to me that most drug use is about getting something done (eg// spiritual enlightenment, emotional self-therapy, sedation, recreation, etc.).

Remember that there are a lot of people who live lives without substance (ab)use...

OfflineToTheSummit
peregrinus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Las Vegas
    #312687 - 05/08/01 08:51 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

People always have, and always will, find a way to alter thier perception of the world around them. We each do it in our own way. For example, where I use drugs, my father uses religeon. Its just our way of throwing a different spin on the thins we percieve. Even little kids do this, watch a child spin around until he is dizzy and then flop down on the ground and 'let the world spin'!

There is a difference though between just getting 'fucked-up' and looking for some spiritual enlightenment. Both have thier place in life. I have searched for spiritual enlightenment many times in my life through many different things; drugs, prayer, meditation, fasting, physical exertion. And I have also gotten 'fucked-up' just as a means of escape.....in fact, that is what I am doing tonight after a particularly bad day at work!! (see my post in OTD)

------------------------------------------------------------------

I nuked my brain in '92.....I don't miss it much

--------------------
You invented the wheel....You push the motherfucker!!

Offlinegray1
addict

Re: why do we need to get fucked up? [Re: Kid]
    #312959 - 05/09/01 08:00 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

kid, i agree with you until your last sentence. while there are many people that use substances without abuse, but there is absolutely no one that doesn't use substances. remember, that life, even our consciousness, is a chemical status produced by molecular interactions. eating carrots improves vision. eating carbohydrates provides the body with energy. chocolate contains phenylethylamines. vitamins, alcohol, food, etc... all have the ability to affect human physiology.
the problem with society is the abuse of substances, which must be a deep rooted psychological problem out of the individuals conscious control. afterall, why would you intentionally abuse something if you could simply use it?
it's all about moderation and self control/discipline

c12h16n24ohdmt

InvisibleKid
Carpal Tunnel
Re: why do we need to get fucked up? [Re: gray1]
    #313076 - 05/09/01 11:41 AM (22 years, 10 months ago)

that's true, I guess I was giving into the cultural mythology of what chemicals constitute a "drug"...

LOUSY CULTURE

Offlinegray1
addict

Re: why do we need to get fucked up? [Re: Kid]
    #313209 - 05/09/01 02:37 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

exactly, that's what's wrong with our nations common conception/federal laws.
why should alcohol be legal and marijuana be illegal? i could give a few suggestions as to why it should be the other way around though...

c12h16n24ohdmt

Invisiblezeuzjuz
kicker of elves
    #314124 - 05/10/01 03:43 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I got fucked up because some smoke went into my lungs.

//sananaB cinataS tronS I//

--------------------
//sananaB cinataS tronS I//

Offlinemm.
addict
 User Gallery

Loc: England
    #315033 - 05/11/01 04:51 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

I think the need to get fucked up is stronger than the urge to have children in some people, so hey, it must be quite important :smile:

--------------------
MAPS.org: supporting psychedelic and medical marijuana research since 1986

InvisibleGRTUD
INFP
Male

Loc: United States
    #315860 - 05/12/01 05:34 PM (22 years, 10 months ago)

We are spiritual beings that have yet to achieve our true nature, kind of like a butterfly that is still a catamthingmbob. Our souls reach out to "see" what can't be seen and so on. I always liked psychedelics most because that is exactly what they are all about. Alcohol was known as "spirits" in olden days for the same reason. All of us knows that we will die someday and since we were created by a being that loved us, we strive to understand how this can be. In Christianity, Jesus is the model for our lives and many of the keys can be found in the writings of the Gospel, (I've grown old and tired from fighting people with different religious dogmas so please don't mail me, I won't respond. I'm just giving here what was given to me and in one life time I can't learn all there is to learn about Christianity so I'm not about to change now) and the interpretations of those Gospels by some scholars. I particularly like Scott Peck who is a psychiatrist by profession but applies his background from education with the Jesuits into a modern framework for which we can understand what is happening to us as humans in our quest for "immortality". He writes about the connection between addiction, sex and other behaviors that suggest we are not here to eat and deficate but rather evolve into a being which is above time and space. Drugs unfortunately are an easy way for most of us to achieve this "higher" plane of conscienceness and this has lead some of us to abuse or in a condition of disease. I do believe that they have a place in a healthy life but they are also very easy to abuse in many ways and abuse always comes home to roost. Happiness is a result of good living when it becomes a quest strange days besiege us. This is where The Other One abides.

--------------------
"New shit has come to light..."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder