Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
More Than 100,000 Protest Bush in NYC
    #3067135 - 08/29/04 10:17 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st..._convention_rdp

Quote:

NEW YORK - More than 100,000 demonstrators marched past a heavily fortified Republican convention hall on Sunday, chanting denunciations of the administration and the war in Iraq (news - web sites) as delegates flocked to the city to nominate President Bush (news - web sites) for four more years in the White House.

Vice President Dick Cheney (news - web sites) campaigned his way into the convention city three days ahead of the president, praising him as "calm in a crisis, comfortable with responsibility and determined to do everything needed to protect our people." He spoke on Ellis Island, framed by a Manhattan skyline altered irrevocably by terrorism.

The president was in West Virginia, accusing Democratic rival Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) of changing his stand on coal industry issues that are vital to the state's economy. "Be careful of somebody whose position shifts in the wind," he said.

Bush presented his standard campaign defense of the war in Iraq, saying, "America and the world are safer because Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) sits in a prison cell." But in an interview with Time Magazine, the president suggested he had underestimated the struggle of the postwar period in Iraq.

"Had we to do it over again, we would look at the consequences of catastrophic success, being so successful so fast that an enemy that should have surrendered or been done in escaped and lived to fight another day," Bush said.

Vice presidential candidate John Edwards (news - web sites) responded for Kerry and the Democrats. "President Bush now says his Iraq policy is a catastrophic success. He's half right. It was catastrophic to rush to war without a plan to win the peace," he said.

Polls show the war in Iraq has become increasingly unpopular in recent months, and the throng of protesters filling 20 city blocks on a steamy Manhattan afternoon underscored that. "No More Bush," and "No More Years," were two of the more popular chants. "Bush Lies, Who Dies?," read some of the signs.

Several protesters carried flag-draped, coffin-shaped boxes through the streets, meant to draw attention to the U.S. death toll in Iraq.

The Pentagon (news - web sites) says 969 Americans have died in action, including 831 since Bush stood on an aircraft carrier more than a year ago before a banner that read "Mission Accomplished."

Police gave no official crowd estimate of the day's protest. One official put the size at 120,000, although it took nearly five hours for the procession to pass Madison Square Garden. Delegates meet there beginning Monday to nominate Bush and Cheney for second terms.

Organizers claimed they had turned out roughly 500,000 protesters.

In all, about 100 arrests were reported, with no major outbursts of violence. At mid-afternoon, a small fire erupted along the protest route a half block from the Garden. Police quickly doused the flames, then handcuffed two people and led them away.

Thousands of police, some dressed in riot gear, others bearing automatic weapons, watched as the protesters passed. Extensive as it was, the force represented only a portion of an unprecedented security deployment designed to protect the city, New Yorkers and Republicans during the convention week.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said last week the efforts would include air surveillance over the city, monitoring activity in the harbor and stationing security personnel at every hotel housing any of the 2,508 delegates or 2,344 alternates.

In a close race, Republican officials say they intend to use the four-day convention to build support for Bush's handling of the war on terror and the war in Iraq as well as to undermine Kerry's claim as a suitable replacement.

In speech excerpts released a day ahead of time by Bush's campaign, Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record) of Arizona said the president "has been tested and has risen to the most important challenge of our time, and I salute him. ... He has not flinched from the hard choices. He will not yield. And neither will we," he said in prepared remarks.

Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani (news - web sites) likened Bush in speech excerpts to Winston Churchill and Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) in his ability to perceive a threat and show a willingness to confront it. Bush "sees world terrorism for the evil that it is and he will remain consistent to the purpose of defeating it," he said in prepared remarks.

Edwards, in a speech to be delivered Monday, said the Bush administration's "failed leadership at home and abroad" has left it unable to deal with new threats.

"When it comes to how America fights terror and leads the world, make no mistake: this election offers the American people a very real choice," he said in speech excerpts.

After months of appealing to his conservative supporters, Bush and his convention planners scripted a program pitched toward the political middle, independents and wavering Democrats. McCain has widespread appeal among independents that stems in part from his own presidential campaign four years ago and his drive for campaign finance reform.

He and Giuliani both oppose the constitutional amendment to ban gay marriages that Bush has made a centerpiece of his campaign and is prominent in the Republican platform.

California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (news - web sites), who espouses a more moderate brand of Republicanism than the president, speaks Tuesday night. Democratic Sen. Zell Miller (news, bio, voting record) of Georgia delivers the keynote address on Wednesday.

Cheney speaks Wednesday and Bush addresses the delegates and a nationwide television audience on Thursday. Aides have said he will use the speech to lay out an agenda for a second term.

Republican officials also say they intend to use the four-day convention to build support for Bush's handling of the war on terror and the war in Iraq as well as to undermine Kerry's claim as a suitable replacement.

In Wheeling, W.Va., Bush described Kerry as "a fellow who is kind of shifting" on coal issues.

"A while ago he said coal is a dirty source of energy. Then he decided he wanted to come to your state, and knock on your door. And then he said, now, well, I am for legislation that is supporting clean coal technology," Bush said.

In response, the Kerry campaign issued a statement that said Bush had cut funding for mine safety and generally failed to protect coal miners

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: More Than 100,000 Protest Bush in NYC [Re: daussaulit]
    #3067165 - 08/29/04 10:28 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

and still..bush continues to surge ahead in the polls..which means that the protest are either having zero or a negative effect...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: More Than 100,000 Protest Bush in NYC [Re: Annapurna1]
    #3067257 - 08/29/04 10:50 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I had the misfortune to catch some TV coverage of the protests (I spent some time wiring a new ceiling fan into an apartment with cable). The protesters are sure as hell not doing Kerry any favors. The ones I saw were pretty much all from Moonbat Central Casting.

And yes, I realize that TV coverage tends to focus on the... ummm... let's tactfully describe them as the more "image-worthy" crowd, but even so there seem to be an incredibly high number of very seriously deranged folks out there. One of the very few things the Dems have done correctly in their campaign so far was to pen those guys up in their "Free Speech Zone" cages at the Democratic convention. Unfortunately for Kerry, that option isn't available to them in New York.

The Swift Boat Vets may have scored the first major breach in Kerry's hull, but the demonstrators are widening that breach immeasurably.

Bummer.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3067329 - 08/29/04 11:03 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Not everybody view protestors favorably, no matter what side they are on. I haven't followed one single protest group at either the democratic or the Republican Convention. To me they are not relevant.

I always wanted to attend a protest on drugs and just hold up some absurd sign like "Eat Ethic Food". I don't know what the rules are. Would they have to let me join the march? Isn't my right to convince people to eat ethic food just as valid as their right to get their freak on?

I love the fact that anarchists march. I bet every one of them bitches about whoever organized the march. What is the best way to orderly tell people you hate all order? Nobody cares what they think because they can't offer a viable solution. Anarchy will not be tried in your lifetime.

You get pro life folks and pro abortion folks at all these events. I doubt that changes anyones mind on those things. Pacifist peace freaks and anti dealth penalty people will attend. Will that honestly change anyones opinion?

I always wanted to be part of the party but I don't have an issue that I support enough to demonstrate except school vouchers. And you will find no grass routes voucher groups out there. They are all public policy groups intended to influces legislators. That is where their money is best spent in changing the law. Even if they had school voucher groups, it probably wouldn't be much fun running with that crowd. The advantage of Anarchists and Peace Freaks is that they tradionally have lots of drug use and loose braless women. Now that is what I am talking about.

So my solution might be to get some friends and create my own group. I think our theme should be to repeal women's sufferage. It would be a blast to get it going on at one of these things. We could yell things like "Back to the kitchen!" at people while we marched in the parade. I would piss my pants. I am a silly man.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: More Than 100,000 Protest Bush in NYC [Re: JesusChrist]
    #3067386 - 08/29/04 11:18 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I always wanted to attend a protest on drugs and just hold up some absurd sign like "Eat Ethic Food". I don't know what the rules are. Would they have to let me join the march? Isn't my right to convince people to eat ethic food just as valid as their right to get their freak on?

:wtf: ethic food??...(im assuming its not a typo)...

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflineJesusChrist
Son Of God
    #3067402 - 08/29/04 11:23 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

I am intoxicated. I meant to type ethnic, but now that doesn't even look right. I am going to bed.

--------------------
Tastes just like chicken

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #3067690 - 08/30/04 12:54 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I think alot of those people will make Kerry look bad. All the haters will definately counter the sensible and moderate image the Democrats tried to exploit at their convention with.
Who wants to take bets on damaged property...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: More Than 100,000 Protest Bush in NYC [Re: Phred]
    #3067808 - 08/30/04 01:40 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

but even so there seem to be an incredibly high number of very seriously deranged folks out there

Yeah, not normal like those hawks that spend $200,000,000,000 to get our boys and 10,000 Iraqi civilians killed. Butchery is a hallmark of sanity. (ooh they stripped nekked, if only they have killed some children...)We all know how much good Viet Nam did for our country. Those wacky hippies that protested 35 years ago, WTF were they thinking?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: More Than 100,000 Protest Bush in NYC [Re: Phred]
    #3068023 - 08/30/04 04:55 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

The Swift Boat Vets may have scored the first major breach in Kerry's hull

Nah, I think most americans are capable of recognising blatant smear campaigns, especially by such renowned liars as John O'Neil.

but the demonstrators are widening that breach immeasurably.

I don't think anyone but the most rabid of pro-Bush supporters could somehow equate demonstrating anarchists with John Kerry.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #3068681 - 08/30/04 10:47 AM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

daussaulit said:

Quote:

Dubya said:"Had we to do it over again, we would look at the consequences of catastrophic success, being so successful so fast that an enemy that should have surrendered or been done in escaped and lived to fight another day," Bush said.

:syringe:

--------------------

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #3069852 - 08/30/04 03:38 PM (19 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Annapurna1 said:
and still..bush continues to surge ahead in the polls..which means that the protest are either having zero or a negative effect...

bush isnt ahead in any of my polls.

do you trust fox?

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order