Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
60% of Brits despise Bush and do not want him in UK
    #2091840 - 11/11/03 11:32 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

From this morning's yahoo New Service:

Top Stories - Reuters

Bush UK Visit 'Exclusion Demands' Spark Protest
Tue Nov 11, 7:27 AM ET Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Kate Kelland

LONDON (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) may be subjected to the humiliating sight of an effigy of himself being dragged to the ground by anti-war protesters in London's Trafalgar Square next week.

Reuters Photo

But if police and White House officials have their way, the president, who had the staunch support of Britain's Prime Minister during the Iraq (news - web sites) war, will be spared the embarrassment of seeing a re-run of the toppling of Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s statue during the Iraq war.

British police refuse comment on media reports of demands by White House security staff for vast central London exclusion zones for Bush's trip, which starts next Wednesday and will be the first official visit to Britain by an American president since that of Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) in 1982.

But they are well aware that at the height of the global war on terror, the prospect of having Bush, Prime Minister Tony Blair (news - web sites) and Queen Elizabeth in the same place at the same time presents a tempting target for would-be attackers.

With all police leave canceled, up to 100,000 protesters vowing to take to the streets and Blair himself trying to quash anti-Bush rhetoric, London's Metropolitan police commissioner admits the visit presents an "unprecedented" challenge.

"It's going to be a big test for the Met in terms of what we have to do to prevent an attack on the president, any member of the royal family and any member of the cabinet," said a spokeswoman for Scotland Yard police headquarters.

"We have to balance preventative measures with allowing people to demonstrate in a peaceful manner."

Blair used a keynote foreign policy speech on Monday to urge protesters to see both sides of the argument over Iraq.

"Protest if you will. That is your democratic right," he said. "Attack the decision to go to war, but have the integrity to realize that without it, those Iraqis now tasting freedom would still be under the lash of Saddam Hussein."

"MOST UNWELCOME GUEST"

But anti-Bush and anti-war campaigners are furious at what they fear are police plans to stop their protest -- slated for November 20 -- from marching through Whitehall and Parliament Square, the seat of Britain's government.

"It is an outrage that the most unwelcome guest this country has ever received will be given the freedom of the streets while a movement that represents majority opinion is denied the right to protest in...the heart of government," said Lindsey German, a spokeswoman for the Stop the War Coalition.

"It's completely unacceptable. I don't see why the White House should be able to determine how, where and when people protest in this country."

A poll in Tuesday's Times newspaper showed 60 percent of British voters strongly disapprove of Bush's handling of Iraq -- and that anti-Bush feeling is particularly high among women.

The spectacle of Bush arriving with an entourage of up to 250 secret service agents, 15 sniffer dogs and handlers, 50 White House political aides, two motorcades of up to 20 armored vehicles each, as well as at least three aircraft and even his own personal cook, is unlikely to increase warmth toward him.

Police are torn between allowing large and potentially embarrassing protests to go ahead, and clamping down on protestors and risking a backlash.

They had to apologize for their tactics during Chinese President Jiang Zemin (news - web sites)'s visit in 1999 when police forced back pro-Tibet protestors and confiscated banners and flags.

Media reports say officers policing the Bush visit have been warned not to be heavy handed and allow protesters to voice their opinion of Bush with slogans and chants if they want to.

Protesters say they are in constant dialogue with police, but also say Blair's government must reap what it has sown.

"There wouldn't be a problem if they hadn't invited George Bush -- who must be one of the most unpopular people in this country -- on a state visit," said German. "Now they are going to have to face the consequences."

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

mjshroomer

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinest0nedphucker
Rogue State
Male
Loc: Wales (yes it is a countr...
60% of Brits Disapprove of Bush's Handling Of Iraq War [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2091880 - 11/11/03 11:58 AM (13 years, 29 days ago)

YAY a 100,00 students waving banners and blowing whistles I can't wait..

Quote:

Media reports say officers policing the Bush visit have been warned not to be heavy handed

That's a shame....

--------------------
The punishment which the wise suffer, who refuse to take part in government, is to live under the government of worse men.

InvisibleAnnapurna1
liberal pussy
Female User Gallery
Loc: innsmouth..MA
Re: 60% of Brits Disapprove of Bush's Handling Of Iraq War [Re: st0nedphucker]
    #2091951 - 11/11/03 12:24 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

Unfortunately, the same majority of Americans (if not more) love the shrub.

--------------------

"anchor blocks counteract the process of pontiprobation..while omalean globes regulize the pressure"...

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: 60% of Brits Disapprove of Bush's Handling Of Iraq War [Re: Annapurna1]
    #2092040 - 11/11/03 12:52 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

You British pussies better not stand for having your whole city shut down just so he doesnt have his feelings hurt...

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: 60% of Brits despise Bush and do not want him in UK [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2092657 - 11/11/03 03:28 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

I'm surprised Bush isn't screaming "Bring em on". That's what he usually says (as long as he's got a few thousand cops protecting him)

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: 60% of Brits Disapprove of Bush's Handling Of Iraq War [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #2092762 - 11/11/03 03:52 PM (13 years, 29 days ago)

The spectacle of Bush arriving with an entourage of up to 250 secret service agents, 15 sniffer dogs and handlers, 50 White House political aides, two motorcades of up to 20 armored vehicles each, as well as at least three aircraft and even his own personal cook, is unlikely to increase warmth toward him.

Long live Emperor Bush!

Hey, at least he gets to travel in luxury...

:smirk:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: 60% of Brits despise Bush and do not want him in UK [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2194024 - 12/21/03 04:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

British Poll: Bush is 'Stupid Evil Genius'

(2003-11-16) -- A new survey of Britons indicates that a majority believes that U.S. President George Bush is a "stupid evil genius."

"The results indicate that Brits don't think Bush is smart enough to put his right boot on his right foot," said a spokesman for the polling company. "And he's so clever that he tricked the entire U.N. Security Council into thinking Saddam Hussein was a brutal dictator who sponsored terror. He's a stupid evil genius."

According to the poll, people in the United Kingdom now fear that "Mr. Bush will accidentally trick Prime Minister Tony Blair into doing something even more ingeniously moronic in Iraq."

http://www.scrappleface.com/MT/archives/2003_11.html

pinky

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: 60% of Brits despise Bush and do not want him in UK [Re: Phred]
    #2194051 - 12/21/03 05:00 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

ROTFLMFAOLOLLLOLLOLOLLLZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!1111

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: 60% of Brits despise Bush and do not want him in UK [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2194054 - 12/21/03 05:03 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, that was hysterical.  But it is an all too common way of thinking.  I have heard many decry Bush as an evil genius only to turn around in the next sentence and say what a moron he is.

Tsk tsk tsk

Some people have absolutely no respect for consistency.

:lol:

Offlineenimatpyrt
addict
Re: 60% of Brits Disapprove of Bush's Handling Of Iraq War [Re: trendal]
    #2194222 - 12/21/03 07:27 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:

Long live Emperor Bush!

Hey, at least he gets to travel in luxury...

:smirk: 

If you think that presidental security began with Bush, you are a complete boobus ignoranus.

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #2194250 - 12/21/03 07:49 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

"The French don't have a word for 'Entrepreneur'" - George W. Bush

I don't know, it takes a certain kind of "stupid genius" or "clever idiot" to come up with a statement like the one above.

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #2195182 - 12/22/03 08:18 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Are you sure the results of the poll havent been a bit mangled to fit some kind of agenda here?

I think more people perceive Bush as an idiot who is a useful puppet for a whole group of evil geniuses.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: 60% of Brits Disapprove of Bush's Handling Of Iraq War [Re: enimatpyrt]
    #2195358 - 12/22/03 11:30 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If you think that presidental security began with Bush, you are a complete boobus ignoranus.

Where did I say that?

Oh that's right...I didn't... :smirk:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: 60% of Brits despise Bush and do not want him in UK [Re: GazzBut]
    #2195458 - 12/22/03 12:41 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

GazzBut said:
Are you sure the results of the poll havent been a bit mangled to fit some kind of agenda here?

I think more people perceive Bush as an idiot who is a useful puppet for a whole group of evil geniuses.

My thoughts as well, though most people here that I've spoken with, belive he is stupid, none have ever used the word genius and bush in the same sentance
to my knowlege, evil or not.

--------------------
er

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion